Embossed form text

Hi all,

This is for that telnet application rewrite I am doing. The
re-write is going well.

My question pertains to drawing (large) text on a form background.

Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened. (That is
similar to how it works.) On that background I'd like to show the company
name and have it appear that it is just 'embossed' into the background.

I don't want to use a graphic, as the color shown is a system color that
users can change, so this would not work.

Would one technique be to have a (hidden) graphic of the text in black
only, and use that as a mask to XOR (or some operation) directly on the
form background ?

It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge, and
not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be enough and
it won;t need to look 3D.

Thanks in advance,

DanS

0
DanS

"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This is for that telnet application rewrite I am doing. The
> re-write is going well.
>
> My question pertains to drawing (large) text on a form background.
>
> Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
> 'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened. (That is
> similar to how it works.) On that background I'd like to show the company
> name and have it appear that it is just 'embossed' into the background.
>
> I don't want to use a graphic, as the color shown is a system color that
> users can change, so this would not work.
>
> Would one technique be to have a (hidden) graphic of the text in black
> only, and use that as a mask to XOR (or some operation) directly on the
> form background ?
>
> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge, and
> not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be enough and
> it won;t need to look 3D.

I'm not clear on exactly what you're looking for, but I've printed
embossed-appearing text on forms and printouts by just printing the same
text several times. To get a shadow effect, print using the shadow color
first, then another color several pixels to the left and above the first.

To make an embossed appearance, you need it to display a lighter color at
the bottom-right, and darker at the top-left. So print the text using a
button shadow color at the upper left, a button highlight color at the lower
right, then the text in the middle. You may need to change the color of the
text, and print several highlight and shadow images.

Anyhow, you can get some good effects that way, and messing around with them
can be fun.

--
Regards,

Rick Raisley
heavymetal-A-T-bellsouth-D-O-T-net

0
Rick
1/21/2010 5:47:30 PM
DanS submitted this idea :
> Hi all,
>
> This is for that telnet application rewrite I am doing. The
> re-write is going well.
>
> My question pertains to drawing (large) text on a form background.
>
> Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
> 'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened. (That is
> similar to how it works.) On that background I'd like to show the company
> name and have it appear that it is just 'embossed' into the background.
>
> I don't want to use a graphic, as the color shown is a system color that
> users can change, so this would not work.
>
> Would one technique be to have a (hidden) graphic of the text in black
> only, and use that as a mask to XOR (or some operation) directly on the
> form background ?
>
> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge, and
> not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be enough and
> it won;t need to look 3D.

Take the example at http://vb.mvps.org/samples/MdiBack, which embeds a
picturebox in the MDIForm client space on which you can draw, then
apply the technique Rick suggests to achieve the embossed look.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

0
Karl
1/21/2010 6:21:01 PM
"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in message

> Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
> 'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened.

All MDI apps I've ever seen have ApplicationWorkspace for the background,
for what it's worth....

0
Jeff
1/21/2010 6:43:11 PM
<SNIP>

>> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
>> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge,
>> and not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be
>> enough and it won;t need to look 3D.
>>

> I'm not clear on exactly what you're looking for, but I've printed
> embossed-appearing text on forms and printouts by just printing the
> same text several times. To get a shadow effect, print using the
> shadow color first, then another color several pixels to the left and
> above the first.
>
> To make an embossed appearance, you need it to display a lighter color
> at the bottom-right, and darker at the top-left. So print the text
> using a button shadow color at the upper left, a button highlight
> color at the lower right, then the text in the middle. You may need to
> change the color of the text, and print several highlight and shadow
> images.
>
> Anyhow, you can get some good effects that way, and messing around
> with them can be fun.

Yeah, odd that it would be that easy. I'm all for the simple way out as
long as it works. Why make things more complicated than they really need
to be.

And actually, I just overlaid a couple labels, one slightly offset from
the other, picked up the form background using GetPixel, broke out the
R,G, & B, modify slightly, then set one label forecolor, modify the R G
B's again, set the other label forecolr.

It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

(To correct my OP though, it less embossing and more like a watermark,
which is what I was going for.)

Thanks to all.

0
DanS
1/22/2010 1:35:25 AM
> <SNIP>
>

>>> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
>>> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge,
>>> and not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be
>>> enough and it won;t need to look 3D.
>>>

>> I'm not clear on exactly what you're looking for, but I've printed
>> embossed-appearing text on forms and printouts by just printing the
>> same text several times. To get a shadow effect, print using the
>> shadow color first, then another color several pixels to the left and
>> above the first.
>>
>> To make an embossed appearance, you need it to display a lighter color
>> at the bottom-right, and darker at the top-left. So print the text
>> using a button shadow color at the upper left, a button highlight
>> color at the lower right, then the text in the middle. You may need to
>> change the color of the text, and print several highlight and shadow
>> images.
>>
>> Anyhow, you can get some good effects that way, and messing around
>> with them can be fun.
>>

> Yeah, odd that it would be that easy. I'm all for the simple way out as
> long as it works. Why make things more complicated than they really need
> to be.

You can do a lot of other neat effects that way. For example, I often like
to print black text with a thin white border or vice versa. All I do is,
again, print say the white (border) text in the required location but 1-2
pixels to the right, then 1-2 pixels down, then left, then up, and finally
print the black in the center. It's not perfect, but it's VERY quick, and
looks pretty darn good. Same with shadows, embossing, raising, etc. Doing
the same thing with labels works as well, but if you have a screen full of
it, it's easier and quicker to just print on the form or picture box.

> And actually, I just overlaid a couple labels, one slightly offset from
> the other, picked up the form background using GetPixel, broke out the
> R,G, & B, modify slightly, then set one label forecolor, modify the R G
> B's again, set the other label forecolr.

Yep, that would work too.

> It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.
>
> (To correct my OP though, it less embossing and more like a watermark,
> which is what I was going for.)

For a watermark, you can just use a faded version of what you're looking
for. I do that a lot with graphics, fading them out to act as a watermark,
but again, it's quicker with text.

All in all, a fun technique that can give you some very nice effects.

--
Regards,

Rick Raisley
heavymetal-A-T-bellsouth-D-O-T-net

0
Rick

Combo box on form misbehaves
At office, if I draw a combo-box on a form, I get to see a wizard, but not so at home. Is there a setting which has changed? Thanks On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:58:39 +0530, dindigul wrote: > At office, if I draw a combo-box on a form, I get to see a wizard, but not > so at home. Is there a setting which has changed? Thanks Make sure the wizard is turned on. When you click on the Toolbox toolbutton, the wand button should be down. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail Hi. > At office, if I draw a combo-box on a form, I get to see a wizard...

Form Open upon start
I have a form that is going to be used as a switchboard to go to other forms. I want this switchboard to open upon opening the database so that this is the first thing you see. I have a feeling that a macro will be envolved but can't figure out how to get it to do what I want. I am learning Access as I go and am self taught so I don't understand all of the terminology but like I said, I'm learning. Thanks! rbecker wrote: >I have a form that is going to be used as a switchboard to go to other forms. > I want this switchboard to open upon opening the database so that ...

Linking a sub form and a Pop Up Form
Hi, I have a mainform and a subform (these two forms are NOT linked). When a selection is made on the main form, it gets added to the subform (the subform only lists very basic details). What I am trying to do is when the user double clicks a record in the subform, a pop up form will open at the same record which the user clicked on in the sub form. This is the code that I treid to use and it did not work: rivate Sub Form_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) With Me.RecordsetClone currID = Me.Bookmark End With stLinkCriteria = "[ID] = " & currID DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_BkpExec...

Text Scaling
Greetings all. I'm generating reports for which I would like to include titles and sub-titles that remain a constant size regardless of the sheet contents below. The reports will have data that varies in the amount of columns and/or rows used. My problem is that when the data is scaled to fit to one page wide and any number of pages tall, the titles and sub-titles of the page change in size. Is there any way to prevent, say, the first three rows or selected cells from scaling with the rest of the data? [I've tried putting the titles in the header, but that scales as well.] Thanks...

intercept "form close" event for record find form
Hi All, I have this problem: I want to intercept "form close" event for find record form. How I can resolve? Thanks in advance Crevit Crevit wrote: > Hi All, > > I have this problem: I want to intercept "form close" event for find > record form. > > How I can resolve? > > Thanks in advance > Crevit Forms have an Unload event that can be programmatically cancelled and a Close event which cannot be. From your description it sounds like you should look at the Unload event. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to....

Import from a text file
I have a text file that I import into my database on a daily basis. One of the fields is a date of birth field. The format for this field (as it is dowloaded to the text file) is 06-12-28. The file has approximately 1100 rows of data. The table the data is imported into has a DOB field with a Date/Time field type. The import works very well EXCEPT for dates prior to 1930. Every date after 1930 is imported as 06/12/1931. Dates prior to 1930 are imported as 06/12/2028. Is there a fix to this problem? Can I do something different in the specification? Thank you in advance. Du...

Form Variable no longer passes to new form
Button Command39 on main form, when clicked opens the SWLicensesForm. Button WinXP_Click() on the SWLicensesform, when clicked adds a new record and fills in some fields for me. My problem is in the POTEMP and NuaNumTmp variables being passed from the main form to th SwLicensesform.. These are no longer being passed from the main form to the SWLicensesform, and I can not fiure out why. I have a backup of the database that is about 8 days old that works fine. The only thing I have done between the backup and the variables not working is to compact the database. There are no error messages, ...

File Saving with Text from File
I have a template, and the customer name always goes in the same cell. When I click the save button, I would like to have the customer name pop into the "save as" area instead of having to type it every time. Thanks for your help Only way is to keep opening the same file that already has the customers name. You must be adding dates or numbers after the customers name. Just open up the last file for that customer and tweak the dates/numbers. "jweasl" wrote: > I have a template, and the customer name always goes in the same cell. When I > click the save button, ...

FORMS 06-01-07
Hi again! I have two tables. I want the email values from table 1 to also go into table 2. I have already established a relationship for the Name in table 1 to go into the Name in table 2. Is it possible to add on to that relationship and have the name and email from table 1 update to the name and email in table 2? Hope that makes sense Ransom Why? That is redundant. If you already have the two tables linked, then you don't need redundant fields in both tables. If you need a person's email, then pull it from table 1. You also should not be storing name in both (unl...

MS Query convert text to #
I am querying a data base that is returning a number as text. Is there a way to convert the text to an actual number in the query, before it is returned to excel??? Thanks to everyone that replies. In Microsoft Query, you can create a calculated field. For example, if the field name is ItemCode: Click in a blank column heading Type an expression to convert the text to a number, e.g.: ItemCode+0 or CLng(ItemCode) Return the data to Excel Shane wrote: > I am querying a data base that is returning a number as > text. Is there a way to convert the text to an actua...

freeze/lock form position
After I show a form, I want to prevent the user from dragging it around the screen. Is there code or a property setting to disable such dragging? Thanks, Larry Mehl ...

deleting a record on a different form
I am reposting this to correct a typo. Sorry for the original and any confusion that reposting may cause. I have a form with a subform. There is a delete button on the main form that runs the following delete code to delete a record on the subform: Private Sub Delete_button_Click() Dim msg, style, title, Response, MyString msg = "This action will delete the current record" style = vbYesNo + vbCritical + vbDefaultButton2 title = "Caution" Response = MsgBox(msg, style, title) If Response = vbYes Then Forms![fmain]![fsub].SetFocus Forms![fmain]![fsu...

emboss effect
I am doing some homework and they ask me to used the Emboss effect on a sentence. i don't know what this effect is. Format | Font and choose the Emboss property. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Emboss" <Emboss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7685CCAB-E382-4C46-A4F6-6B5AA2C77ED1@microsoft.com... >I am doing some homework and they ask me to used the Emboss effect on a > sentence. i don't know what this effect is. ...

Main form with two sub forms
Hi, I have a main form with a linked sub form which displays related records when a record is selected on the main form. Rather than use the record selectors at the bottom of the screen on the main form to navigate records, I would like to create another sub form (#2) which is unlinked, to the main form but contains a summary of all records on the main form. When a record is selected in Sub form # 2, I would like the main form to jump to that record as well. If I link sub form #2, then only the current record is displayed, not a complete list. In essence what I am tryi...

I cant type in the body of the text
I have hit something and when I try to type in the body of my email message I have this ~ when I hit enter. I am not allowed to then type a message..... Actually it is when I am hitting the tab going from the subject line to the body of the text. It has to be something simple becuase it happened very quickly. You haven't said whether it is a laptop or desktop system If it is a laptop then your Fn key must be stuck However, I suggest reboot your system and everything should be reset to default if your keyboard keys are stuck due to pressing something. hth Leslie ...

query vs forms
A query looks very similar to a form in datasheet view. Is it possible to call a form from a query if you click on a certain field - or is this only possible using a form. Is is possible to check if a one of two checkboxes has been ticked (say male or female) in a record just by entering the data in a query using some sort of table validation - I know that you can do some limited required field validation. Just wanted to know if this was at all possible because at the moment I am doing all data entry through select queries and it seems to be working Ok, but need to know whether its really nec...

Disappearing Forms
Hello and thanks for any help on this as it has now happened twice. I have created a new database in Access 2000. I have imported some tables and forms from an older database. I have made some changes to the forms. Things seem to work fine. Sometimes I mess up with VBA cose and it locks up. I close Access and then re-open the database.... most of the Forms I had are missing ... yet, the underlying VBA designer still shows the code for them. If I try and re-create the form, it won't allow me to use the same name. If I try to re-import it, that one disappears also. F5 does not do a...

Hiding Items on form
i have some items like text boxes, buttons, list boxes, etc on a form. my requirement is when the form loads, only one button should be displayed. if and only if i click that button, the remaining items should be displayed. one possibility is write code in form load such that initially the items will be hidden, and button event makes them visible. but i have many items on this form any they may increase from time to time. i dont want to write for each items that they have to hide at form loading and visible on button click. is there any easy way such that we can hide all the items on a form e...

Text Box filter
Hi, I would like to create a filter for a form...I have a unbound text box named "formfilter" and the goal is to filter the field "LastName"...I would like the user to only type in the first couple letters and using the On Lost Focus event filter the form for those individuals whose name begins with those letters...I am not very experienced with VBA but realize this procedure probably needs to be done with VBA. Use the AfterUpdate event procedure of your *unbound* text box named formfilter, like this: Private Sub formfilter_AfterUpdate Dim strWhere As String If ...

Alignine text within newsletter columns
I am trying to create a newsletter for my company and the text within the columns are not aligning on the bottom when editing or adding more sentences. How do I make them even as I add new text? It will automatically cut-off at a certain point and go onto the next column when there is plenty of space for a sentence in the column I am working on. sncrze <sncrze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It will automatically cut-off at a certain point and go onto > the next column when there is plenty of space for a >sentence in the column I am working on. It only looks like th...

How do i make a cell look embossed or raised in excel?
I cant seem to figure out how to make a cell have a raised or lowered effect...can someone please help me? Hi, You just need to format the borders. Top and Left with thick light gray Bottom and Right with thick dark gray Cheers Andy Mr.Niceguy wrote: > I cant seem to figure out how to make a cell have a raised or lowered > effect...can someone please help me? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Help Publishing Custom Form
I have published a custom task form to my Organizational Forms Library following the instructions here: http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=34. It works great, and now I have 2 quick questions regarding selecting the published forms: 1. Can I make the forms available by selecting the NEW menu, so I don't have to choose the form, and then browse to find it? I would like be able to select New and have it show my custom form there AND the default task form for that folder. 2. If not, I think I am supposed to be able to highlight the task folder, then select the ACTION menu and see ...

Highlight Current Row in a Form
Regarding Steven Lebans method of highlighting the current row of a form. http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm Will this work if the primary key is made of multiple keys? If so, how? Are there other methods of doing this? ...

How to tell what form a sub-form is in.
I have a sub-form that is in several different forms. I want to know which form it is in when I click on a control in the sub-form. -- Regards Tom Try something like: Me.Parent.Name -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.cardaconsultants.com/ For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful. "ThomasAJ" wrote: > I have a sub-form that is in several different forms. I want to know which > form it is in when I click on a control in the sub-form. > > -- > Rega...

Plain Text #7
Hi, I have bad problems with text formatting in emails (fonts changing, double line height etc). I can default new emails to plain text, is it possible to default replies to plain text? Thanks for your help Shaun, you wrote on Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:02:12 +0100: > Hi, > > I have bad problems with text formatting in emails (fonts changing, double > line height etc). > > I can default new emails to plain text, is it possible to default replies to > plain text? The reply always will be send in the original mail format but you can change the format for the mail b...