Datagrid Cell Locked

Hi:

I have developed an app that has sevearl data grids on different forms. They
all were working.  One grid has several columns with most locked and the
operator can only change the data in one column.  (that one column is not
"locked").  The form has worked for weeks, but now (I don't know why), the
operator cannot enter the cell...it is as if the cell is locked.  I have gone
to the grid (in the developement environment) and insured that the column is
not locked.  I have also added a line of programming to the refresh action:

"me.grddaily.columns(5).locked = False"

This does not work either.  any ideas or suggestions?

--
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me...

JP

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 07:11:03 -0700, JP...
<JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I have developed an app that has sevearl data grids on different forms. They
>all were working.  One grid has several columns with most locked and the
>operator can only change the data in one column.  (that one column is not
>"locked").  The form has worked for weeks, but now (I don't know why), the
>operator cannot enter the cell...it is as if the cell is locked.  I have gone
>to the grid (in the developement environment) and insured that the column is
>not locked.  I have also added a line of programming to the refresh action:
>
>"me.grddaily.columns(5).locked = False"
>
>This does not work either.  any ideas or suggestions?

First wild guess is the data 'structure' has changed and column "5" is
no longer what you think it is.
But I'm assuming if the user can now enter data in another column or
has more or less columns that he should have, or data is appearing
under the wrong column - you would have been told.

Really need more information:
This is the MS DataGrid Control 6.0? Correct?
How are you setting up the Grid initially? Through design-time
properties or through code?
How are you populating the Grid? ADODC? ADO direct? Data Binding?
Using the Data Environment?
Have you made sure your data and the User's data are the same
structure?

-ralph
{Sidenote:
There is nothing generally wrong with using a reference to the
inherent control, or in using 'indexes' (indexes are a bit faster).
   me.grddaily.Columns(x).Value
but I prefer to create a separate reference object as in ...
   Dim col As MSDataGridLib.Column
   Set col = MSDataGridLib.Column("FieldOfInterest")
   sStr = col.Value
   col.Locked = False
This provides flexibility if the structure changes, and controls the
lifecycle of an object. (You are always chewing on what you think your
are. <g>)
}
0
ralph

"ralph" wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 07:11:03 -0700, JP...
> <JP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi:
> >
> >I have developed an app that has sevearl data grids on different forms. They
> >all were working.  One grid has several columns with most locked and the
> >operator can only change the data in one column.  (that one column is not
> >"locked").  The form has worked for weeks, but now (I don't know why), the
> >operator cannot enter the cell...it is as if the cell is locked.  I have gone
> >to the grid (in the developement environment) and insured that the column is
> >not locked.  I have also added a line of programming to the refresh action:
> >
> >"me.grddaily.columns(5).locked = False"
> >
> >This does not work either.  any ideas or suggestions?
>
> First wild guess is the data 'structure' has changed and column "5" is
> no longer what you think it is.
> But I'm assuming if the user can now enter data in another column or
> has more or less columns that he should have, or data is appearing
> under the wrong column - you would have been told.
>
> Really need more information:
> This is the MS DataGrid Control 6.0? Correct?
> How are you setting up the Grid initially? Through design-time
> properties or through code?
> How are you populating the Grid? ADODC? ADO direct? Data Binding?
> Using the Data Environment?
> Have you made sure your data and the User's data are the same
> structure?
>
> -ralph
> {Sidenote:
> There is nothing generally wrong with using a reference to the
> inherent control, or in using 'indexes' (indexes are a bit faster).
>    me.grddaily.Columns(x).Value
> but I prefer to create a separate reference object as in ...
>    Dim col As MSDataGridLib.Column
>    Set col = MSDataGridLib.Column("FieldOfInterest")
>    sStr = col.Value
>    col.Locked = False
> This provides flexibility if the structure changes, and controls the
> lifecycle of an object. (You are always chewing on what you think your
> are. <g>)
> }
> .

Ralph:

Thanks..

Yes, it is the DataGrid in VB 6.0
I set up the grid initially at design time by doing the "right click" and
using "properties"...then set up each column.
I'm using the ADODC  to populate the grid...I use an SQL from an Access 2000
database...the give the data control the connection string, the recordsource,
and then refresh it...the data populates to the grid.

The data changes each time that the database is querried...but the fields,
structure, etc always remains the same.  And there is a unique field  in each
record so that there is no ambiguity.

Just don't understand it...the program was working fine for about a month,
and then (all of a sudden) it quit... : 0)...mystery of mysteries
On 8/26/2010 7:11 AM, JP... wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have developed an app that has sevearl data grids on different forms. They
> all were working.  One grid has several columns with most locked and the
> operator can only change the data in one column.  (that one column is not
> "locked").  The form has worked for weeks, but now (I don't know why), the
> operator cannot enter the cell...it is as if the cell is locked.  I have gone
> to the grid (in the developement environment) and insured that the column is
> not locked.  I have also added a line of programming to the refresh action:
>
> "me.grddaily.columns(5).locked = False"
>
> This does not work either.  any ideas or suggestions?

Have you seen the data loaded to the grid? Is the grid loading the data
to the columns you expect it to, so you know the code is working the way
you want, and so you know the database is being read correctly and not
corrupted?

have you tried adding code that fires when the grid is clicked, when the
user tries to change the data, etc., reading the contents and properties
of the cell or column? Just to see if everything is working the way you
expect, and to see if any of the properties have somehow changed?

0
Mike
8/27/2010 12:16:17 AM
Yes...thanks for the reply.

We have used the grid for about 14 days...it was working correctly..no
problem. there are other columns in the grid that are locked, but have a
button.  The button fires the expected code...and enters the data in the
columns as expected.... When saved, the data is correct.  The only column not
working right is this one column.

--

"Mike S" wrote:

> On 8/26/2010 7:11 AM, JP... wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I have developed an app that has sevearl data grids on different forms. They
> > all were working.  One grid has several columns with most locked and the
> > operator can only change the data in one column.  (that one column is not
> > "locked").  The form has worked for weeks, but now (I don't know why), the
> > operator cannot enter the cell...it is as if the cell is locked.  I have gone
> > to the grid (in the developement environment) and insured that the column is
> > not locked.  I have also added a line of programming to the refresh action:
> >
> > "me.grddaily.columns(5).locked = False"
> >
> > This does not work either.  any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Have you seen the data loaded to the grid? Is the grid loading the data
> to the columns you expect it to, so you know the code is working the way
> you want, and so you know the database is being read correctly and not
> corrupted?
>
> have you tried adding code that fires when the grid is clicked, when the
> user tries to change the data, etc., reading the contents and properties
> of the cell or column? Just to see if everything is working the way you
> expect, and to see if any of the properties have somehow changed?
>
> .

Automatic Changes to Linked Cells
I eed to find a way to link to a cell and have the link follow that cell should it chanage due to editing of the spreadsheet. For example in Spreadsheet 1 I linked cell A1 to cell B1 in spreadsheet 2. Then I made changes in spreadsheet 2 and the contents of cell B1 are now located in cell B5. How do I get the link in spreadsheet 1 cell A1 to automatically change to be linked to cell B5 in spreadsheet 2? The version of excel that I have automatically puts in the "$" before the cell letter and number. I have done a test by taking out the "$" to see if it would...

How do I exclude a cell from an average calculation when the cell.
Put the question in the *body* of the message... In article <1CEF2B75-0539-4F1A-B746-5163DEE5CA43@microsoft.com>, Sam <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

New toolbar with + signs over cells?

Cell not formating
I have recieved a spreadsheet. the cells will not show a zero if the value is zero. it shows a blank cell. have tried different ways to format the cell to no avail. it just will not accept a format HI MOJOALA! I usually ask the questions, so I'm about to switch roles here. On your main toolbar, click on Tools --> Options --> and check or Uncheck the Zero Values radio box. That should do it. "Mojoala" wrote: > I have recieved a spreadsheet. > > the cells will not show a zero if the value is zero. > it shows a blank cell. > have tried different ...

Macro command go to last filled cell in column?
I created a macro on the weekend that does a sort and then is supposed to go down to the last entry in a column. What I found this morning here at work when testing the macro on a new spreadsheet, is that although I used the ^+down arrow which when one does it manually goes to the last filled cell, that the macro doesn't behave the same way. Now I might have made a mistake when recoring the macro, though I don't believe so, but at any rate, here is the macro as it stands now: ********************************************** Sub AddNUMBER() ' ' AddNUMBER Macro ' ...

####### in Cell
I am typing text in a cell and then I get to a point and it just turns it to a bunch of # signs...##################### Why is that happening??? Thanks in advance for your review and hopeful for a reply. PSULionRP Format the cell as General (or anything but Text) and reenter the value (F2 followed by Enter should be enough). Excel has trouble strings between 256 and 1024 characters in cells formatted as Text. PSULionRP wrote: > > I am typing text in a cell and then I get to a point and it just turns it to > a bunch of # signs...##################### > &g...

help counting cells of a particular category
I am trying to add up a certain number of cells however, I keep getting a different number than that counted manually. for example: size species flight dir xing react zne 2 shc w 2 3 2 shc w 2 2 2 shc w 2 2 2 shc w 2 3 2 shc w 2 3 I'm trying to determine the number of cells that are at a xing height of 3 and a reaction zone of 2 and I keep getting a different number for the countif function than i do manually (i would stick to the manual stuff, but I have thousands of entries) You might want to define a new IF cell for each row that looks at the values of 'xing' & 'r...

Multiuser locking problem...again.
I have the now almost ‘standard’ problem with multiuser access and have I scoured the internet for a solution, but with no luck to date. Please help! Problem: Once one user has access to the tables, another user is prevented from accessing those tables, until the first user leaves. I have the following setup: PC1: Front end (client) database with forms, reports, queries and a couple of local ‘temporary’ tables. PC2: Front end – same as PC1 (client) database with forms, reports, queries and a couple of local ‘temporary’ tables. The back end database of just tables resides on PC1 in a sh...

password protecting with default unlocked cells only
Is there a way to insure that when password protecting a sheet i defaults to selecting unlocked cells only. I'm using a marco on protected sheet and sometimes it protects with selecting both locke and unlocked cells. ActiveSheet.Unprotect ("password") Other Macro ActiveSheet.Protect ("password") Thanks for any help with thi -- Db171 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Db1712's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1591 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=3199...

Selecting only cells with formulas
Is there a quick way to select only those cells that have a formula i them - I want to lock the cells a worksheet that have formulas - bu selecting them one at time is too time consumin -- mycroft77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mycroft777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3114 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51273 Edit>Goto>Special, check Formulas -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "mycroft777" <mycroft777.23a1wm_1140018000.4073@excelforum-nospam.com&g...

create a cell that accumulates, numbers from another cell...
I need to know how to have a entery cell that can send number values to a cell that accumilates there sum .the entries in the entery cell can be changed and the recieving cell just keeps adding up. The entry cell can be left blank and the sum remains in recieving cell. -- Thanks sombull http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "sombull" <sombull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41021B44-363C-418C-9A4F-6CD126431698@microsoft.com... > I need to know how to have a entery cell that can send number values to a > cell ...

Cannot refer to values of cells in another worksheet
I have a worksheet named Items. I am trying to refer to the values in another worksheet called Dist (same workbook). The value in the Dist worksheet at F6 = 1906, and the value in Dist worksheet at AO6 = 100. So at Items A1, in the formula box, I type =Concatenate(Dist!F6," ",Dist!AO6) because I want to refer to the numbers as text. But instead of showing me 1906 100 all I see is the formula I typed instead of the formula's value. When I type the same formula in a cell for the Dist worksheet it works fine, but when I change to another worksheet it doesn't work.What am I doi...

Protecting cell
I need help in making a cell in Excel more idiot proof. I have to enter a file number in the cell, ex. 0409-28. The file number will be the same, but i want to be able to have the cell turn red if the file numbering is not correct, ex. 37j9-38 or 29009-93 or 67-8e869 (I have seen the number in various ways). Can anyone help? Thanks, Stighre You can use conditional Formating under under format menu...or validation >-----Original Message----- >I need help in making a cell in Excel more idiot proof. I have to enter a >file number in the cell, ex. 0409-28. The file number wil...

Changing the default cell size?
I'm looking to change the default size of each individual cell in Excel. Ideally, I would like to be able to resize each cell so that they're the size of four put together vertically. I realize I can select four cells at a time and merge them, but this is a hassle when its going to have to be done hundreds, if not thousands of times. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -- Cheers, James Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMIT...

Sum every other cell? #2
I just previewed the post below and saw that the format didn't hold. don't know how to make it look right. I hope you can figure it out fro what you see. Sample rows: Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Category #Books $$$ #Books $$$ #Books $$$ 1 4 16.00 0 0.00 7 29.95 2 3 17.50 3 17.50 3 17.50 3 0 0.00 6 24....

How to transfer email hyperlink to another cell
I have an email hyperlink in cell A1. I want the same email address to automatically go into C1 and have it be a clickable hyperlink just link A1 is. Obvioulsy, I can formulate C1 as =A1 but the problem is that it is not a clickable hyperlink. Paul PS - I am not familiar with macros. How about: =hyperlink(a1) or =hyperlink("mailto:" & a1) depending on what's in A1. Peepster wrote: > > I have an email hyperlink in cell A1. I want the same email address to > automatically go into C1 and have it be a clickable hyperlink just link A1 is. > > Obvioulsy,...

display an empty cell
I used to reference cells in our worksheets (e.g. =Sheet1!C6). if Sheet1!C6 is empty i will get a 0 in my cell. How can i get a blank cell if Sheet1!C6 is an empty cell? thanks =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!C6),"",Sheet1!C6) this will work when C6 is truly blank not when it has a formula that returns a blank =IF(Sheet1!C6="","",Sheet1!C6) should work for you also best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Lynn" <moley_cruz@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:f33d1e97-2147-4cd3-85e2-e401...

HIdden Cells?
I would like to be able to hide columns automatically in a spreadsheet if no data was entered in the cells for that column without having to highlight the column and choosing hide. Eg: The spreadsheet has column headings, but for printing purposes I would like to hide that column if no data has been entered under any number of headings. Is there anyway this can be done automatically? Thanks for your help I wouldn't do it automatically when printing, but I would use a macro that I could run on demand: Option Explicit Sub hideCols() Dim iCol As Long With ActiveSheet ...

Added value to cell
Cell u4 has a set date in it I would like cell u8 to register this date plus 1 but if cell u4 is blank then u8 is to be blank. ie U4 = 20/10/05 U8 = 21/10/05 if U4 blank U8 is blank Sorry forgot to add that this will be used in mutiple cells in column U "bbc1" wrote: > Cell u4 has a set date in it I would like cell u8 to register this date plus > 1 but if cell u4 is blank then u8 is to be blank. > ie U4 = 20/10/05 > U8 = 21/10/05 > if U4 blank > U8 is blank =if(u4="","",u4+1) Format the cell as a date. bbc1 wrote: > > Cell u4 has...

Automatically resizing cells
Hi, I am trying to figure out a way that would automatically resize cell height once I enter additional information and part of the text disappears from the screen. Currently it appears that the only way to do that is to double click on the bottom border of the cell I am on. I am using MS Excel 2000. Appreciate you feedback, Jason "JJ" <Iam@cyberspace.net> wrote in message news:Ow7YDMfLEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am trying to figure out a way that would automatically resize cell height > once I enter additional information and part of the text...

Fill other cells based on cell selected
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C79C40.C0C75F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How can I have other cells fill in with data from another worksheet = based on the cell that I select in the active worksheet? i.e. I have a list of names in column B when I select a cell containing = a name I would like that persons phone # and other info to appear in = other cells. As I scroll down the phone # and other info would change = according to the name in the active cell. The phone # and oth...

cannot enter product key code due to repeated lock-up of computer
Have purchased Publisher 2003 with Digital Imaging. The computer locks up as soon as the first letter of product is entered. Cannot install product. Thank you! Do you get an error? Use ctrl+alt+delete, application tab, highlight the setup, click end process, you should get an error dialogue, click details, what does it say? How to troubleshoot installation problems when you install Office 2003 from the Office 2003 CD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826321/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Bavarian Mom&...

percentage of green cells in list
Hi i have a list of dates coloured either red or green in column A and i want to express the green cells as a percentage of the total list ie 12/02/10 14/02/10 20/0210 etc this list is constantly being added to thanks for any help rslc There is no built-in excel function to do this. But you can use a UDF that ...

Using DataGrid
Hi, Is it possible to use a DataGrid control in a VBA Form. How can I link it to a sheet range and also manipulate its data? Thanks Luis ...

Freezing(?) cells
Hello, I need to set up my worksheet so that if H20<4000 H24 shows "A Charge" but does not change back once H20 >4000 again, so that when I produce a printout I'll know if there has been a charge incurred at some point. I have it set up to work to the point where H24 shows "A Charge", but as soon as I get back above 4k, it goes back to "No Charge". How can I freeze (right term?) H24 so that it will show up correctly on a printout should the conditions have arisen? Hi, I think you can only do this with VBA (trying with a formula gets you a circula...