Application Directory (Proj Directory)

NOBODY posted a link to an FTP example that I'm currently looking at.

This is it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175179/EN-US/

The file to download and extract files from is VBFTP.exe.

I extracted these files into a folder called VBFTP.

I then opened the project from within that directory and attempted to
run the program.

It comes up with an error '53' that 'open.bmp' cannot be found.

When I look in the directory, it is right there.

The code is below. It stops at...

Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "open",
LoadPicture("open.bmp"))

I'm puzzled. If you do not provide a complete path, isn't the app.path
assumed if that is where you loaded and ran the app from?

When I change this code to include the App.Path, it finds the file.

LoadPicture(App.Path & "\open.bmp"))

And of course fails on the next line because it cannot find the
'closed.bmp' file, etc. etc.

Could someone tell me what is happening here? Why does it not look for
the file in the same directory that the app is being debugged/ran in?

============ Da Code============
Private Sub Form_Load()
    bActiveSession = False
    hOpen = 0
    hConnection = 0
    chkPassive.Value = 1
    optBin.Value = 1
    dwType = FTP_TRANSFER_TYPE_BINARY
    Dim imgI As ListImage
    Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "open",
LoadPicture("open.bmp"))
    Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "closed",
LoadPicture("closed.bmp"))
    Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "leaf",
LoadPicture("leaf.bmp"))
    Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "root",
LoadPicture("root.bmp"))
    TreeView1.ImageList = ImageList1
    TreeView1.Style = tvwTreelinesPictureText
    EnableUI (False)
    
End Sub
===============================

Thanks.

Webbiz
0
Webbiz
3/19/2010 6:12:39 PM
vb.general.discussion 1016 articles. 0 followers. Follow

10 Replies
807 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 0

"Webbiz" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message 
news:m8f7q5psuruts5778m8peklrvj4agjt88v@4ax.com...
> Could someone tell me what is happening here? Why does it not look for
> the file in the same directory that the app is being debugged/ran in?

When you don't specify a full path, the current directory is used, which may 
or may not be App.Path. To see what the current directory is, use the 
following:

Debug.Print "Current directory is " & CurDir()

To set the current directory, use:

ChDrive App.Path
ChDir App.Path



0
Nobody
3/19/2010 6:43:50 PM
Webbiz wrote:
> It comes up with an error '53' that 'open.bmp' cannot be found.
>
> When I look in the directory, it is right there.
>
> The code is below. It stops at...
>
> Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "open",
> LoadPicture("open.bmp"))
>
> I'm puzzled. If you do not provide a complete path, isn't the app.path
> assumed if that is where you loaded and ran the app from?

Holy crap.  Forget the F8 key, become one with your F1 key!

Of course not.  In computing, the current directory is *always* the 
default path of choice.

-- 
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org


0
Karl
3/19/2010 6:44:21 PM

"Webbiz" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message 
news:m8f7q5psuruts5778m8peklrvj4agjt88v@4ax.com...
> NOBODY posted a link to an FTP example that I'm currently looking at.
>
> This is it:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175179/EN-US/
>
> The file to download and extract files from is VBFTP.exe.
>
> I extracted these files into a folder called VBFTP.
>
> I then opened the project from within that directory and attempted to
> run the program.
>
> It comes up with an error '53' that 'open.bmp' cannot be found.
>
> When I look in the directory, it is right there.
>
> The code is below. It stops at...
>
> Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "open",
> LoadPicture("open.bmp"))
>
> I'm puzzled. If you do not provide a complete path, isn't the app.path
> assumed if that is where you loaded and ran the app from?
>
> When I change this code to include the App.Path, it finds the file.
>
> LoadPicture(App.Path & "\open.bmp"))

VB's kinda "weird" (IMO) with this.  It depends on HOW you start VB as to 
what the current directory is. If you start VB from its shortcut, the 
current directory will be where VB is installed UNLESS you change the 
shortcut's Start In property, in which case it will be whatever you specify. 
If you start VB by right clicking a .vbp file or any other file type 
associated with VB (.frm, .bas, etc.), then the current directory will be 
the directory of that file. This is why I always (well, almost always) open 
a project by double-clicking the .vbp file, as this is most closely the same 
behavior as running your program as an EXE (unless modified by some means 
such as running the EXE via a shortcut and changing the Start In property).

In any case, the BEST thing to do is always provide a fully qualified path 
to any file you are opening in your app because then the current directory, 
whatever it may be, is irrelevant.  NEVER make assumptions as to what the 
current directory is.  And I'd hope this would go without saying, but NEVER 
hard-code paths. Leave your code just as you've changed it to use App.Path 
(assuming the .bmp file is located in the same directory as either the .vbp 
file or the EXE file after compilation and installation on target machines).

And one more thing, you should always check if the path already has a 
trailing backslash. In most cases, API functions and VB's own 
methods/properties will NOT have a trailing backslash.  But this is somewhat 
inconsistent. For example, if your app is located in a root folder of a 
drive, then App.Path WILL have a trailing backslash. If you just always 
append a backslash, eventually you're going to end up with double 
backslashes and this can be hard to debug because it's probably only 
occurring on a single computer running your EXE and the error is going to be 
either an invalid path or file not found and both you and your user are 
going to say, "well, it IS a valid path and the file IS there, so what the 
hell is going on?"  <g> Including the path (and filename if appropriate) as 
part of the error message is advisable because then you can see that it's a 
result of double backslashes. Basically, all you need to do is check if the 
rightmost character of the path is a backslash.  Because this If 
statement/block can be tedious to write all the time, what I did what write 
a function called FormatPath.  This function has an optional 2nd parameter 
to return the path with or without a trailing backslash, the default being 
to include the trailing backslash. I'll leave writing that function up to 
you as an exercise.  <g> So, taking your code above, what I'd do is this:

LoadPicture FormatPath(App.Path) & "open.bmp"

(given the syntax you used, you shouldn't be enclosing LoadPicture's 
argument in parentheses, although it's not really hurting anything in this 
particular case.  You're just causing VB to evaluate the expression before 
passing it to LoadPicture and therefore making your program do more than is 
necessary. In some cases, however, this evaluation CAN lead to, shall we 
say, erroneous behavior. So the lesson to be learned is, know the right 
syntax to use when calling procedures/methods. See VB's Help if you need 
clarification on this.)

-- 
Mike


 

0
MikeD
3/19/2010 11:30:27 PM
"MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
news:uvp1qw7xKHA.5364@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> If you start VB by right clicking a .vbp file or any other file type 
> associated with VB (.frm, .bas, etc.),

Oops.  Just to clarify, I actually meant double-clicking the .vbp file from 
Explorer opened in that directory. I don't think launching VB via 
association by other means (for example, from the Run dialog) will set the 
current directory to that of the .vbp file (not sure about that though). 
Just another reason to always provide the full path to a file you're 
opening.

-- 
Mike
 

0
MikeD
3/20/2010 12:45:56 AM
"MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
news:u2Pt2a8xKHA.4240@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
> news:uvp1qw7xKHA.5364@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> If you start VB by right clicking a .vbp file or any other file type 
>> associated with VB (.frm, .bas, etc.),
>
> Oops.  Just to clarify, I actually meant double-clicking the .vbp file 
> from Explorer opened in that directory. I don't think launching VB via 
> association by other means (for example, from the Run dialog) will set the 
> current directory to that of the .vbp file (not sure about that though). 
> Just another reason to always provide the full path to a file you're 
> opening.

In case of Declare to a DLL that resides in the same path as the VBP file, 
one has to change the current directory to App.Path if running in the IDE, 
or use full paths in the Declare. This is not needed in the EXE as Windows 
looks for the DLL in the EXE folder first. When you run in the IDE, the EXE 
folder is VB6 folder as far as the OS is concerned. See LoadLibrary() in 
MSDN for the search order used to find a DLL.


0
Nobody
3/20/2010 1:06:38 AM
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:30:27 -0400, "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu>
wrote:

>
>
>"Webbiz" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message 
>news:m8f7q5psuruts5778m8peklrvj4agjt88v@4ax.com...
>> NOBODY posted a link to an FTP example that I'm currently looking at.
>>
>> This is it:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175179/EN-US/
>>
>> The file to download and extract files from is VBFTP.exe.
>>
>> I extracted these files into a folder called VBFTP.
>>
>> I then opened the project from within that directory and attempted to
>> run the program.
>>
>> It comes up with an error '53' that 'open.bmp' cannot be found.
>>
>> When I look in the directory, it is right there.
>>
>> The code is below. It stops at...
>>
>> Set imgI = ImageList1.ListImages.Add(, "open",
>> LoadPicture("open.bmp"))
>>
>> I'm puzzled. If you do not provide a complete path, isn't the app.path
>> assumed if that is where you loaded and ran the app from?
>>
>> When I change this code to include the App.Path, it finds the file.
>>
>> LoadPicture(App.Path & "\open.bmp"))
>
>VB's kinda "weird" (IMO) with this.  It depends on HOW you start VB as to 
>what the current directory is. If you start VB from its shortcut, the 
>current directory will be where VB is installed UNLESS you change the 
>shortcut's Start In property, in which case it will be whatever you specify. 
>If you start VB by right clicking a .vbp file or any other file type 
>associated with VB (.frm, .bas, etc.), then the current directory will be 
>the directory of that file. This is why I always (well, almost always) open 
>a project by double-clicking the .vbp file, as this is most closely the same 
>behavior as running your program as an EXE (unless modified by some means 
>such as running the EXE via a shortcut and changing the Start In property).
>
>In any case, the BEST thing to do is always provide a fully qualified path 
>to any file you are opening in your app because then the current directory, 
>whatever it may be, is irrelevant.  NEVER make assumptions as to what the 
>current directory is.  And I'd hope this would go without saying, but NEVER 
>hard-code paths. Leave your code just as you've changed it to use App.Path 
>(assuming the .bmp file is located in the same directory as either the .vbp 
>file or the EXE file after compilation and installation on target machines).
>
>And one more thing, you should always check if the path already has a 
>trailing backslash. In most cases, API functions and VB's own 
>methods/properties will NOT have a trailing backslash.  But this is somewhat 
>inconsistent. For example, if your app is located in a root folder of a 
>drive, then App.Path WILL have a trailing backslash. If you just always 
>append a backslash, eventually you're going to end up with double 
>backslashes and this can be hard to debug because it's probably only 
>occurring on a single computer running your EXE and the error is going to be 
>either an invalid path or file not found and both you and your user are 
>going to say, "well, it IS a valid path and the file IS there, so what the 
>hell is going on?"  <g> Including the path (and filename if appropriate) as 
>part of the error message is advisable because then you can see that it's a 
>result of double backslashes. Basically, all you need to do is check if the 
>rightmost character of the path is a backslash.  Because this If 
>statement/block can be tedious to write all the time, what I did what write 
>a function called FormatPath.  This function has an optional 2nd parameter 
>to return the path with or without a trailing backslash, the default being 
>to include the trailing backslash. I'll leave writing that function up to 
>you as an exercise.  <g> So, taking your code above, what I'd do is this:
>
>LoadPicture FormatPath(App.Path) & "open.bmp"
>
>(given the syntax you used, you shouldn't be enclosing LoadPicture's 
>argument in parentheses, although it's not really hurting anything in this 
>particular case.  You're just causing VB to evaluate the expression before 
>passing it to LoadPicture and therefore making your program do more than is 
>necessary. In some cases, however, this evaluation CAN lead to, shall we 
>say, erroneous behavior. So the lesson to be learned is, know the right 
>syntax to use when calling procedures/methods. See VB's Help if you need 
>clarification on this.)


Once again the example code from Microsoft has proven to be crap.

Thanks Mike.  

:-)

Webbiz
0
Webbiz
3/20/2010 3:59:35 AM

"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message 
news:O$aOom8xKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
> news:u2Pt2a8xKHA.4240@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
>> news:uvp1qw7xKHA.5364@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> If you start VB by right clicking a .vbp file or any other file type 
>>> associated with VB (.frm, .bas, etc.),
>>
>> Oops.  Just to clarify, I actually meant double-clicking the .vbp file 
>> from Explorer opened in that directory. I don't think launching VB via 
>> association by other means (for example, from the Run dialog) will set 
>> the current directory to that of the .vbp file (not sure about that 
>> though). Just another reason to always provide the full path to a file 
>> you're opening.
>
> In case of Declare to a DLL that resides in the same path as the VBP file, 
> one has to change the current directory to App.Path if running in the IDE, 
> or use full paths in the Declare. This is not needed in the EXE as Windows 
> looks for the DLL in the EXE folder first. When you run in the IDE, the 
> EXE folder is VB6 folder as far as the OS is concerned. See LoadLibrary() 
> in MSDN for the search order used to find a DLL.
>

Not entirely correct.  Refer back to my post about what the current 
directory is, and how you can "set" the current directory when VB starts. 
Again, if you launch VB by double-clicking the VBP file from an Explorer 
window, the current directory of the IDE will be the folder where the vbp 
file is located.  Assuming the non-ActiveX DLL is in that same folder, no 
path necessary in the Declare statement.

You should never use path names (fully qualified or relative) in Declare 
statements because then that's the ONLY place your app (or Windows, 
whichever way you prefer to think) will look for the DLL.

-- 
Mike
 

0
MikeD
3/21/2010 5:14:36 PM

"Webbiz" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message 
news:90i8q5170a846gv1aiftesl47ct562mfua@4ax.com...
>
>
> Once again the example code from Microsoft has proven to be crap.
>
> Thanks Mike.
>

You're welcome.  (it really wasn't necessary to quote the entire message 
<g>).

You must keep in mind is that examples are just that.  They usually are only 
intended to show a specific thing.  Very seldom are they ever complete, nor 
should they ever be considered "production-quality code". This isn't just 
MS's examples, but pretty much ANYONE's examples.

-- 
Mike
 

0
MikeD
3/21/2010 5:19:14 PM
"MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
news:eO9d8nRyKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>
> "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message 
> news:O$aOom8xKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
>> news:u2Pt2a8xKHA.4240@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message 
>>> news:uvp1qw7xKHA.5364@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>> If you start VB by right clicking a .vbp file or any other file type 
>>>> associated with VB (.frm, .bas, etc.),
>>>
>>> Oops.  Just to clarify, I actually meant double-clicking the .vbp file 
>>> from Explorer opened in that directory. I don't think launching VB via 
>>> association by other means (for example, from the Run dialog) will set 
>>> the current directory to that of the .vbp file (not sure about that 
>>> though). Just another reason to always provide the full path to a file 
>>> you're opening.
>>
>> In case of Declare to a DLL that resides in the same path as the VBP 
>> file, one has to change the current directory to App.Path if running in 
>> the IDE, or use full paths in the Declare. This is not needed in the EXE 
>> as Windows looks for the DLL in the EXE folder first. When you run in the 
>> IDE, the EXE folder is VB6 folder as far as the OS is concerned. See 
>> LoadLibrary() in MSDN for the search order used to find a DLL.
>>
>
> Not entirely correct.  Refer back to my post about what the current 
> directory is, and how you can "set" the current directory when VB starts. 
> Again, if you launch VB by double-clicking the VBP file from an Explorer 
> window, the current directory of the IDE will be the folder where the vbp 
> file is located.  Assuming the non-ActiveX DLL is in that same folder, no 
> path necessary in the Declare statement.
>
> You should never use path names (fully qualified or relative) in Declare 
> statements because then that's the ONLY place your app (or Windows, 
> whichever way you prefer to think) will look for the DLL.

You are correct, however, there are situations when the current path in the 
IDE is not the same as the VBP file, like when opening another project by 
going to the File menu. In this case, the current directory is unchanged, 
and declares to a DLL in the same folder as the EXE won't work. In this 
case, the developer could put the DLL in the search path, or use the 
following code if the DLL is in the same folder as the VBP file:

If IsInIDE() Then
    ChDrive App.Path
    ChDir App.Path
End If

In case of running a compiled EXE, Windows always checks the EXE folder 
first, so it's not a problem in this case.





0
Nobody
3/22/2010 1:59:07 AM
MikeD wrote:
> VB's kinda "weird" (IMO) with this.  It depends on HOW you start VB as to 
> what the current directory is. 

But that's a good weird.  If programmer's can't be reliable, how could 
we ever imagine users could!  They can start an application in many 
ways, just as we can start the IDE in multiple ways.  Don't assume 
anything.  If your app is curdir dependent, make sure you know what the 
curdir is.  It's really that simple.

-- 
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org


0
Karl
3/24/2010 12:32:52 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Clicking one application's buttons from another application
Hello, I'd like to write an application that can click the buttons of another application running on the same machine. All my application knows about the target application is its name, the name of the window containing the buttons, and the name of the buttons. Can someone further my education in this matter in some way. Thanks, Ray Mitchell This is tricky, but possible. I actually do it in a little utility I wrote to move Outlook filters down, since the "Move Down" button doesn't autorepeat and when you have 850 anti-spam filters it becomes a bit unwieldy. What yo...

Application exiting with return Code 3 and ExitInstance not called neither destructors
Hey Friends It seems that i have done something very mysterious as my Application is exiting with return Code 3 and ExitInstance is not not called neither destructors. Plz Help "Vikrant_kpr" <bhatia.manish@netsity.com> wrote in message news:f62362ec.0307170549.7af528cf@posting.google.com... > Hey Friends > It seems that i have done something very mysterious as my Application > is exiting with return Code 3 and ExitInstance is not not called > neither access violation? Dear Antonio Mazzeo I have corrected the problem,it was causing due to Splash Screen Compone...

running another application from my application
Hello, I have an MDI application that on a specific case runs a 3rd party application. I use PeekMessage so my application will be drawn corretly while working on the 3rd party app. I want to prevent the user from doing anything in my application while te 3rd party app is running, until the user closes the 3rd party application. Also I want my application to be shown correctly (handle WM_PAINT, WM_DRAW etc.). Currently my application is displayed very well, but the user may do things in my application while the 3rd party app is running. I use the following code (pseuo): BOOL bRetVal = CreateP...

Ideas for a Dept Level Application Support
We have an IT group that supports 50 applications and they wish to capture support time by application during course of the year. During the course of a week, any application or combination of applications can have support requests, so it is different week to week and not predictable. Essentially we are looking to park the time with appropriate application after the work is complete. We are using Project Server 2007 and have investigated the following: 1. Created a Annual Support workplan with a task per application in Project Pro with the IT group added as Enterprise resourc...

Outlook Default Printer not set with Active Directory Groups.
I'm finding that when I setup my users in AD with groups. Then set there Default Printer there outlook does not change with this. On some users the Outlook default printer is an Adobe printer that they never use. In the past this was done with a script but we are trying to get away from that. Any suggestions? Testing. Sorry. is it changing for word and other apps? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook T...

Relocate Bad Mail Directory
My BadMail directory is causing me to get a message that my C:\ size is getting lesser everyday and I found out that it's due to the Bad Mail directory. Right now it's about 1.2 GB in size. Is it possible to relocate this to another bigger volume? If yes, what are the precautions, like permissions to the new volume/folder? Can I delete files in the directory before moving? Do I have to stopped any services or dismount any stores. Please help. Thanks. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO First I would ensure you are not open for Relay, this could be the cause for your BadMail folder growing so...

DLLs being loaded for all applications
I get the following warning at system startup: "Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications." How do I review the list of libraries and how do I eliminate any that should be removed? ...

Help in creating dialog based application
Hi, I am creating a dialog based application which has a main dialog with 3 buttons. 1. Address Book 2. Student List 3. Course List with which i can go to any one of the screens(which is again the dialog). when i click address book button my main dialog should be hidden/closed and i should open the address book dialog which has again some button to navigate back to main dialog/student list/course list. same kind of functionality for other two dialogs(student/course list). i thought of creating all the 3 dialogs as modeless and main dialog as parent but how i will inform the parent window to ...

Converting Console Application to win32 application
I have created an MFC console application. When I run it from Windows Explorer it opens a dos box and closes the box when it terminates it logic. Is it possible to convert it so it won't open the dos box - just run without any display? If positive, please help me regarding the steps. Thanks Kalish I am not sure if you can compile MFC with a standard win32 application, but if you can, then you can simply change your main to a WinMain, and you will have the result you want. Create a Win32 Project using the Wizard, and selection Windows Application, to see an example. Remove everthing ...

is there a hotel management excel application?
The subject says is all... TIA Martyn Hi Martyn, See response to your thread in Programming. --- Regards, Norman "Cheker" <zoomer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eNJLsRRqEHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > The subject says is all... > TIA > Martyn > > > ...

MSMQ ... authenticating application
A number of application stores messages in MSMQ. One of the server application needs to read messages that was created/stored by specific applications not to read all the messages in MSMQ. Is there any workarounds? Thank you Regards Raj "Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6917708E-88B1-497B-A888-5038ACEA17CE@microsoft.com... >A number of application stores messages in MSMQ. One of the server > application needs to read messages that was created/stored by specific > applications not to read all the messages in MSMQ. > ...

DLL
Is there any way to detect when an application that is calling my dll is about to be destroyed? I need to close several files if the calling application has not done so, therefore I need to detect when the calling application is about to be destroyed and clean up the files and variables I have used in the dll. You need to implement DllMain, the handle your cleanup tasks when you receive a PROCESS_DETACH notification. Check out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_initialize_non.2d.mfc_dlls.asp "Joe Estock" <jestock@NOSPAMnutexto...

MFC applications and Visual C++'s newer editions
Hello. When it comes to Win32, Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 only allows the creation of console-based applications. What if one wanted to create MFC-based applications and, at the same time, be able to take advantage of the powerful and conforming C++ compiler that comes with the package? I hope that resorting to Visual C++ 6.0 is not the only option. Thank you, -- Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino "Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino" <zunino@inf.ufsc.br> wrote in message news:%23FuRyAcXFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello. > > When it comes to Win32, Vi...

Telnet application
Greets, Quick question.... If I was to write a VB6 app for configuring an IP device using Telnet, would it be more advantageous to use the Winsock control, or the INet control for the telnet session ? The device has the telnet server, I just need to write a GUI that uses telnet as a client to communicate with the device, and then present the configuration info in a typical GUI way. TIA, DanS "DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in message news:Xns9CEA5E17494CEthisnthatroadrunnern@216.196.97.131... > Greets, > > Quick...

Using MABLE logic engine with existing .NET applications.
Using MABLE logic engine with existing .NET applications. MABLE web services provide an interface to MABLE business objects and logic. Let us review some technical details of the MABLE web services. � MABLE utilizes SOAP 1.2 protocol. � MABLE uses AXIS 1.4 as a web service transport. � MABLE support state-full conversations by implementing a conversation session. In this small article we will create a client application that use the MABLE 'Store' application MABLE Web Service client has to maintain a state-full conversation with the MABLE engine. The best way to handle this is...

Hiding application
Hello, How can I hide my application from the user? I don't want him to see it in Task Manager, Task Bar, etc. Regards, Vladimir. "Vladimir" <genisoft@ufacom.ru> wrote in message news:ueUr72idDHA.736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How can I hide my application from the user? I don't want him to see it > in > Task Manager, Task Bar, etc. Make it a service. -- -GJC -Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls) -gchanson@mvps.org -Abolish public schools It'll be still visibled, and killable by administrator - li...

Publisher 2003 Catalog/Directory
Hello, I have created a directory that has 7 pages already created and the 8th page is where I would like to have my actual directory pages start. However, when I merge the publication it opens up a new page with all of my directory information, instead of entering the data on page 8 where the data belongs. Please advise. Thanks Tammy I can only suggest your doing your merge and in step 5 create a new publication. Add the 7 pages to the front of the directory after the merge. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com &qu...

Change 1 dialog application to 2 dialogs applications?
Hi, I have made a mfc dialog based application. Now I want to change it to 2 dialogs, one wizzard and one classic, and i want the 2 dialog can call each other. So I change the codes in App::InitInstance() { ..... while (CGlobal::Get()->m_eView!=CGlobal::Quit) { WizzardDlg dlg0; CClassicDialog dlg1; CDialog *pdlg=0; if (CGlobal::Get()->m_eView==CGlobal::Wizzard) { pdlg = &dlg0; } else if (CGlobal::Get()->m_eView==CGlobal::Classic) { pdlg = &dlg1; } m_pMainWnd = pdlg; int nResponse = pdlg->DoModal(); } I found DoModal() only launch the dialog s...

"Bad Mail" directory
My Excsrvc\mail root\vsi 1\BadMail directory is over 500Mb in size. Can I delete all these files? Is this something I should do periodically? What is the purpose of this directory and how are these files created? tks, steve Yes you can delete them. They are effectively NDRs that cannot be returned. Microsoft provides a script to automatically purge this folder - see the first download here: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/05/lots_of_goodies.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "sjs" <anony...

Spontaneous application exit
We have an MFC dialog based application that has up to 100 threads reading data from different sources over TCP/IP and then storing the data into an oracle database. Database updates are realtively infrequent (maybe once or twice a scond overall). We are having problems with the application just exiting. Sometimes it will run for days, sometimes for just a few hours. The user is definitely not exiting the application. We have try/catch sections around most code and around each thread which isn't getting triggered and we detect memory allocation failures (which aren't happenin...

Application crashes at start-up
Hi A new framework 3.5 Winform db app that works fine on two pcs, crashes on one particular pc at start-up. The app has application framework enabled and I have assigned a splash form and a main form. The splash form appears for around 20 second but then app crashes with message "<app name> has encountered a problem and need top close..." and wants to send a report to MS. I have trapped the MyApplication_UnhandledException but it does not get triggered as far as I can tell. Older framework 1.1/vs2003 apps work fine on this pc. The only obvious difference I can see...

Cannot start SBS Web Applications
2008 SBS Server Migrated from 2003 SBS Server SBS Web Applications will not start, "This website cannot be started. Another web site may be using the same port" Goal: get OWA working without needed to trick IIS This problem has been ongoing since the install of 2008 SBS server. Currently IIS will not automatically start SBS Web Applications due to the Default Web Site and SBS Web Applications using the same HTTPS bindings. The only way I have managed to get them to work is change the bindings to 444, start it, then change it back to 443. This only works until IIS is re...

How to register my application
I have a application I want to register that application with the current operating system. I do not wish to use Installationshields or anything else. because It is a downloadable instance and using installation shields will increase the size by 200KB. I wish to do that one programattically using VC++. I wish to get the application to the program file list and get the application in the add remove programs Can any body guide me ? Thanks Anup There is no concept of "registering" an application unless it is automation-enabled. The rest is just "installing" it. The...

Application object of a running application
Dear All, I have developed a MFC dialog based application. In this applicaion I am detecting running instance of the application by using mutex object. HANDLE hMutex; hMutex = CreateMutex(NULL, TRUE, "App.exe"); if(GetLastError() ==ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS) { // Mutex exists so there is a running instance of app hMutex = NULL; break; } However If my application is already running I want to get the application object and need to call some methods using application object(CWinApp,CDialog). Please suggest how do I achieve this. Thanks in advance. "Ajay ...

Running Windows Media Player from MFC Application Query?
Hi all I am making an application in which i displaying in a list control all the mp3 files belonging to a folder selected by the user. I want to add the following functionality. As soon as the user double clicks on any of the displayed MP3 file, i want to invoke the windows Media Player and play that MP3 file. Now how i invoke the Windows Media Player for my MFC Application? Waiting for suggestions Regards ...