Witness Server in SQL Mirroring

Hello everyone,
is there someone who could tell me if the witness server in a mirroring
configuration under SQL Server 2008 must be a third instance of a SQL Server?

Can I setup the secondary DB within the mirroring as the witness as well?

Thank' you for your help!

Bye,
Clark.
--
=^=
Live Long and Prosper

I don't believe there is anything stopping you from doing so but that pretty
much defeats the purpose. For instance if the witness is on the same server
as the mirror and the network connection drops both the witness and the
mirror will create a quorum and promote the mirror to the principle. But the
real principle can be just fine and now you have a real issue.

--

Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"Clark" <Clark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
> is there someone who could tell me if the witness server in a mirroring
> configuration under SQL Server 2008 must be a third instance of a SQL
> Server?
>
> Can I setup the secondary DB within the mirroring as the witness as well?
>
> Thank' you for your help!
>
> Bye,
> Clark.
> --
> =^=
> Live Long and Prosper

0
Andrew

Impossible to connect onto Project Server
Hello, I re-installed Project Server 2007 SP2 + August CU on a server of my network. It works fine when I'm working on the server itself, but I cannot connect from another PC of the network. On the previous installs on the same network, I did not have any problem. What could be the cause of this connection issue? Thanks for help This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000402010701000201040700 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Do you get any kind of error message when trying to connect? Did...

storage of messages on server
I am wondering how messages are store on the exchange server. Correct me if this is incorrect. One message gets sent to 10 users on the same server. The message is only stored once with pointers pointing to the message. When I move the users mailbox to another server, it stores the message 10 times.Once for each users mailbox. Does this sound right? Kevin On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:00:48 -0600, "cst112" <cst112no-spam-please@yahoo.com> wrote: >I am wondering how messages are store on the exchange server. Correct me if >this is incorrect. > >One message gets se...

Clone Exchange 2000 Server to use as Second Server (Load Balance or Live Backup)
I would like to clone my current exchange 2000 server to use as a live backup. As I recall, setting up my current exchange server was a bear and would like to start off the "new" server from right where I am with the current server(SP's tweaks etc.). I have full drive image backups of the current server that I can restore to an almost duplicate machine. I'm concerned with the renaming and Active Directory/Domain membership issues. Has anybody out there tried this? Would it be easier to start from scratch then synchronize? Ideas appreciated. Mark Frankly, I don'...

RetrieveGlobals9.dll
When RetrieveGlobals9.dll is called, a SQL Connection is opened and assigned an spid. I'm finding that the connections are being closed and my SQL box is getting pummeled with open connections. As far as I can tell, there is no way to explicitly close the connection made. I do set the reference to nothing before my code ends, but the connection ends none the less. I have tried two different approaches, calling RetrieveGlobals9 on the Before_WindowOpen method and leaving the object open until the user closes the window, as well as only calling RetrieveGlobals9 when I need it. The...

Witness Server in SQL Mirroring
Hello everyone, is there someone who could tell me if the witness server in a mirroring configuration under SQL Server 2008 must be a third instance of a SQL Server? Can I setup the secondary DB within the mirroring as the witness as well? Thank' you for your help! Bye, Clark. -- =^= Live Long and Prosper I don't believe there is anything stopping you from doing so but that pretty much defeats the purpose. For instance if the witness is on the same server as the mirror and the network connection drops both the witness and the mirror will create a quorum and pro...

smtp server settings are getting changed
Somehow my smtp server settings are being changed in Outlook 2003 every time I reboot my computer. It is changing from my ISP's smtp server setting (for example mail.domainname.com) to localhost. Is this a virus or spyware attack trying to use me as an smtp relay or hopefully something more benign that someone else has experienced and knows how to fix? Hopefully it is the latter. Thanks. It is your anti-virus changing it. Disable the AV plug-in - it is useless and a major pain. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to ...

windows server 2008
Hi All, Fresh installation on the server. I face problem with windows server 2008 were SQL server 2005 is installed. While SQL server had been configured it had thrown up a message 'This program as known compatipility issues' and it had asked me to check for the online update were it said "This problem was caused by a compatibility issue between this version of Windows and this version of Visual Studio 2005. This program was created by Microsoft". It asked to install Visual studio 2005 SP1 and Visual studio 2005 SP1 update for windows vista. Before installing SQL ser...

RMS and Terminal Server
Microsoft Retail Management System should be certified to run on a Terminal Server. Store Operations Manager is frequently used in the receiving of product (receiving POs and printing product labels with barcodes) that occurs in a warehouse. These environments are perfect for thin clients that have no disk drives or moving parts. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to op...

server could not be found
New computer has Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express. I used Express as it was familiar to me. Now want to use Outlook. I can connect to my ISP with Outlook, but when I click on send & receive I get a message "Server could not be found. Error 0x800ccc0d." did you verify the server name is correct in outlook? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & E...

Move WSS3 to a different server
Looking for a process to move our wss3 hosted on a sqlexpress2005 to wss3 hosted on a SQLServer 2008 standard -- Craig ------=_NextPart_0001_F64C14A9 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In this case you either need to upgrade to SQL standard or enterprise edition. You should upgrade to the same instance of the express. If you are gonna have a different box as the SQL server then please refer the below article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287634.aspx Regards ------=_NextPart_0001_F64C14A9 Content-Type: text/x-rtf Content...

Outlook 2000 Downloads Messages from a POP3 Server Twice?
I know that it has been confirmed that Outlook 2002 has this problem (Knowledge Base Article 292249), however, I'm unable to see anywhere that verifies that Outlook 2000 has the same problem. Our office uses Microsoft Office 2000, and on several of our machines we intermittently receive messages to our Outlook that have been previously downloaded. We have chosen the to "Leave a Copy of Messages on Server" in the Advanced portion of the Properties, as we occasionally need to access the messages offsite. We have not selected to "Remove from Server after 5 Days&qu...

Exchange recurring problem with Virtual Server
I have a Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2003 on it and I continue to get this 418 error in Event Viewer(I received a similar error once before I upgraded from Exchange 2000). Error 418: "Virtual Server 2: SMTP server cannot read metabase key MailPickupDir." I have tried using MetaEdit 2.2 to remove the LM\SmtpSvc\2 key, but it keeps returning everytime I restart my Exchange Server. I have also tried the following fix: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326854 I'm at wits end here and don't kwow what else to try. Thanks in advance. Jeremiah ...

Error: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The microsoft exchange server is unavailable" #2
Hi: I have a user on our exchange 2003 sp1 system who is receiving the above error when trying to connect to his mailbox. He is able to connect in OWA. I gave myself rights on his mailbox and set up a new profile on my machine (xp, office 2003) and connected fine. I then logged in as his account on my machine, set up a profile and tried to open outlook and received the error above. Any ideas. Not seeing this exact error on the microsoft site or google groups. ...

server information
i am unable to send messages and have no idea how to change server details can somone help please ? "wildcat2008@live.co.uk" <wildcat2008@live.co.uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0630BEAC-0EB1-4450-B3EA-C94EB76EE018@microsoft.com... >i am unable to send messages and have no idea how to change server details > can somone help please ? Who is your mail provider and or ISP? Give us the error message generated when sending fails. -- Regards Steve. MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK. http://www.getsafeonline.org/ It isn't clear to me wh...

Exchange Server takes more and more HDD space
Hi! I am running Exchange Server 2k on Windows 2k. It's been running fine for more than 2 years. This week, I had an error message ("out of memory...") when I send an email from Outlook Express. I checked the server and realized that the server has only 1.5MB free space on the hard drive. I deleted unnecessary files and made 80MB space. The next day, it was 1.5MB free space again. I checked the size of Exchange folder in Program Files. It counted very slowly and increased little by little. I guess there are very many small files in the folder. Especially the mailroot folder is ...

Scheduled CRM SQL Jobs
Are the following Jobs important to be run on the SQL server for a CRM3.0 installation: Start_Incremental on Company_Name_MSCRM.ftcat_documentindex.[7.5] and CompanyName_MSCRM.Update Contract States Does it matter if these do not run. i.e. could I delete these jobs? They are scheduled but fail every time they try to run. For the 1st job a get the following error: The Job was invoked by Schedule 5 (Indexed Document Title Schedule). The last step to run was step 1 (Full-Text Indexing). For the 2nd job I get this error: The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 7 (Update Contract Stat...

DHCP on router or server
Hi, typically the SBS server would be handing out DHCP addresses. However I'm wondering if the router should be the one handing out DHCP addresses. For example, a colleague of mine had their SBS 2003 server go down due to a hardware issue. Now no one in the office can access the Internet. If the router was the DHCP server, I believe they'd have Internet access right now from their workstations. Any thoughts or experiences on this? Thanks. Regardless of single or dual nic SBS setups, leave the SBS as the DHCP server. If the SBS is off line for more that a short while, yo...

Make exchagne server calendar the default?
I am using outlook 2003. I just became able to have my blackberry sync with my exchange server with work. I also use a third party database software program that imports calendar events into Office, which in turn is syning with my blackberry for everything to be working together. THe problem I am having is the outside program (SmartOffice) is only able to add calendar events to the default calander which is on my computer the personal folder. Is there a way to change the default calendar to the Exchange server calendar? FOr some reason it is syncing contacts with the exchan...

One Dynamics server with multiple databases on 2 servers?
What licensing is needed to run with the Company databases on two or more different servers. We are happy just to have to one Dynamics database - do all compnay databases have to live on the same server. Thanks The dynamics and company databases must be one one server. -- Charles Allen, MVP "mfhau" wrote: > What licensing is needed to run with the Company databases on two or more > different servers. > We are happy just to have to one Dynamics database - do all compnay > databases have to live on the same server. > > Thanks so what's the story wi...

BD in Access ---> SQL + WinForm in -Net
Hi, sorry for my english, I have a problem of conceptual design of my database, i hope you can help me. This is a shop with a variety of articles (Posters, mobiles, decorative objects among others), which have different characteristics, Plates: size, author, image, ... Moviles: brand, size, weight .... Flashlight: Power, material, color, ... ......... ......... I decided to make a table tblCategoria and another tblArticulo: TblCategoria: id, name, description, picture TblArticulo: id, category, images, prices And here i have the problem, I would like how to save every property of the artic...

What format do I use for a witness statement
What format do I use for a witness statement "What format for a witness statement" <What format for a witness statement@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:783AC228-B07C-4308-8D26-5D696E213CBF@microsoft.com... > What format do I use for a witness statement Whatever the court in your area requires. See a lawyer for that information or contact the court. We can't help you since all states and countries have different laws and procedures. "What format for a witness statement" <What format for a witness statement@discussio...

removing an email from the server using Xchange system manager
How do I remove an email from the users inbox on the server prior to the user seeing the email. On Tue, 24 May 2005 11:45:32 -0700, "itdude27" <itdude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I remove an email from the users inbox on the server prior to the >user seeing the email. > veeeeewy quickly Or use Exmerge if you know the subject. By the time someone answers this, it's probably to late. Sounds like an odd request. If you have full control over their mailbox, just use the open other users folder off the file menu. I like the very quickly myself....

Contents of Report Server Database
Could somebody please tell me what are the contents of that database ? SQL-2005 Report Server Database for Reporting Services. Cordially, Reporting services stores pretty much everything in the database. For instance, search the hard drive on the server. You won't find a single report. That is because the reports themselves are stored in the database when you deploy a report. Security roles, subscriptions, and more are all stored in the database. -- Bruce Loehle-Conger MVP SQL Server Reporting Services "gatox" <gatox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

We support Windows Server
From http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/about Top posters This month 50 ace...@mvps.removethispart.org 46 mei...@gmx.de 21 n...@example.com 20 davemi...@newsgroup.nospam 18 n...@microsoft.com 18 savato...@nospam.gmail.com 17 kevinj....@spamfree.gmail.com 17 dspatr...@nospam.gmail.com 16 philwind...@hotmail.com 13 bo...@nospammyhotmail.com All time 7217 anonym...@discussions.microsoft.com 4575 mei...@gmx.de 3494 i....@fly.com 2382 kgafv...@newsilopia.com 1955 dspatr...@nospam.gmail.com 1691 jma...@mvps.org 1632 lanwe.....

Installing Service Packs on Exchange Server 2003
Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end servers. Have not installed any service packs on these systems yet. Just got OK from change control board to install these. Just wanted to know what would be the best process to install these ? Do I need to go to SP1 first then SP2 or does SP2 contain SP1 updates as well? Do I do the front end server first? Thanks! On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:58:02 -0700, D303M <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end >servers. Have not installed any s...