upgraded from MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2005 now database's users have

Hello.

I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's
users have no
login names. I found a way to list orphaned users sp_change_users_login
'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are actually five listed with
MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I tried this sp_change_users_login
'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get the following error the user name 'RPS'
is absent or invalid.

Any ideas?

0
Chuck

Try with Auto_Fix instead; see the example at the end of the following
article:

Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform
Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam please)
(French)

"Chuck" <no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's
> users have no
> login names. I found a way to list orphaned users sp_change_users_login
> 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are actually five listed with
> MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I tried this sp_change_users_login
> 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get the following error the user name
> 'RPS'
> is absent or invalid.
>
> Any ideas?

0
Sylvain
11/15/2009 5:05:12 AM
Chuck (no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom) writes:
> I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's
> users have no login names. I found a way to list orphaned users
> sp_change_users_login 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are
> actually five listed with MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I
> tried this sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get
> the following error the user name 'RPS' is absent or invalid.

ALTER USER RPS WITH LOGIN = RPS

The again, judging from the error message, there is no user RPS in the
database.

You can view all users in the database with

   SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
11/15/2009 10:50:15 AM
Erland,

The user RPS was listed when I ran the below listed query you suggested.
SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals

It has a sid and owning_principal_id of NULL.

Its has a type_desc of SQL_User.

I am currently using the Windows Authentication method of logging into the
local server.

Is there a way to autogenerate the missing sid for the user?

I tried adding the login name but it will not allow it.

TIA

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message

> Chuck (no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom) writes:
>> I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's
>> users have no login names. I found a way to list orphaned users
>> sp_change_users_login 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are
>> actually five listed with MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I
>> tried this sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get
>> the following error the user name 'RPS' is absent or invalid.
>
> ALTER USER RPS WITH LOGIN = RPS
>
> The again, judging from the error message, there is no user RPS in the
> database.
>
> You can view all users in the database with
>
>   SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Chuck
11/15/2009 3:15:52 PM
Erland
I think that great feature works since SP2, am I right?

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Chuck (no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom) writes:
>> I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's
>> users have no login names. I found a way to list orphaned users
>> sp_change_users_login 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are
>> actually five listed with MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I
>> tried this sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get
>> the following error the user name 'RPS' is absent or invalid.
>
> ALTER USER RPS WITH LOGIN = RPS
>
> The again, judging from the error message, there is no user RPS in the
> database.
>
> You can view all users in the database with
>
>   SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Uri
11/15/2009 4:10:34 PM
Uri Dimant (urid@iscar.co.il) writes:
> Erland
> I think that great feature works since SP2, am I right?

Correct. I assume that Chuck is smart enough to have installed the
most recent service pack as part of his installation procedure.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
11/15/2009 5:33:07 PM
Chuck (no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom) writes:
> The user RPS was listed when I ran the below listed query you suggested.
> SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals
>
> It has a sid and owning_principal_id of NULL.
>
> Its has a type_desc of SQL_User.
>
> I am currently using the Windows Authentication method of logging into the
> local server.
>
> Is there a way to autogenerate the missing sid for the user?
>
> I tried adding the login name but it will not allow it.

You said that you upgraded the server from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. In that
case, logins should have been brought over.

But if you installed a new instance of SQL Server with SQL 2005 on it,
and just moved over the database, there may not be a login RPS on the
new server instance. In such case, you can create a new login with

   CREATE LOGIN RPS WITH PASSWORD = 'yourchoicehere'

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
11/15/2009 5:35:25 PM
The SQL Server is version 9.0.4053.

> Uri Dimant (urid@iscar.co.il) writes:
>> Erland
>> I think that great feature works since SP2, am I right?
>

> Correct. I assume that Chuck is smart enough to have installed the
> most recent service pack as part of his installation procedure.
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Chuck
11/16/2009 1:27:18 AM
Erland,

I got the following error when I executed the create statement against the
database.
CREATE LOGIN RPS WITH PASSWORD = 'yourchoicehere'
Msg 15025, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The server principal 'RPS' already exists.

If I try to update it I get this error...

USE RPS

GO

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS', 'password'

GO

Msg 15291, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_change_users_login, Line 108

Terminating this procedure. The User name 'RPS' is absent or invalid.

If I run this EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'

I get no records returned.

If I run this SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals

I get back 15 rows with RPS being one of them.

Any ideas?

> Chuck (no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom) writes:
>> The user RPS was listed when I ran the below listed query you suggested.
>> SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals
>>
>> It has a sid and owning_principal_id of NULL.
>>
>> Its has a type_desc of SQL_User.
>>
>> I am currently using the Windows Authentication method of logging into
>> the
>> local server.
>>
>> Is there a way to autogenerate the missing sid for the user?
>>
>> I tried adding the login name but it will not allow it.
>
> You said that you upgraded the server from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. In that
> case, logins should have been brought over.
>
> But if you installed a new instance of SQL Server with SQL 2005 on it,
> and just moved over the database, there may not be a login RPS on the
> new server instance. In such case, you can create a new login with
>
>   CREATE LOGIN RPS WITH PASSWORD = 'yourchoicehere'
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Chuck
11/16/2009 1:45:49 AM
Chuck (no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom) writes:
> I got the following error when I executed the create statement against the
> database.
> CREATE LOGIN RPS WITH PASSWORD = 'yourchoicehere'
> Msg 15025, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
>
> The server principal 'RPS' already exists.

Well, I'm sitting on a distance and have to guess what is goin on.

> If I try to update it I get this error...
>
> USE RPS
> GO
>
> EXEC sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS', 'password'
> GO
>
> Msg 15291, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_change_users_login, Line 108
> Terminating this procedure. The User name 'RPS' is absent or invalid.

So what if you use ALTER USER as I suggested in an earlier post?

> If I run this EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'
> I get no records returned.
> If I run this SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals
> I get back 15 rows with RPS being one of them.

Can you post the full output from

   SELECT suser_sname(sid), *
   FROM   yourdb.sys.database_principals

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
Erland
11/16/2009 9:24:42 AM
You can run the following to identify what login is associated with each
database principal.

Select u.name As [Name]
       ,u.principal_id As [ID]
       ,isnull(suser_sname(u.sid) ,N'') As [Login]
  From sys.database_principals As u
 Where u.type In ('U' ,'S' ,'G' ,'C' ,'K');

Jeff

> Chuck (no-spam-for-me@cfcug-dotcom) writes:
>> I got the following error when I executed the create statement against
>> the
>> database.
>> CREATE LOGIN RPS WITH PASSWORD = 'yourchoicehere'
>> Msg 15025, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
>>
>> The server principal 'RPS' already exists.
>
> Well, I'm sitting on a distance and have to guess what is goin on.
>

>> If I try to update it I get this error...
>>
>> USE RPS
>> GO
>>
>> EXEC sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS', 'password'
>> GO
>>
>> Msg 15291, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_change_users_login, Line 108
>> Terminating this procedure. The User name 'RPS' is absent or invalid.
>
> So what if you use ALTER USER as I suggested in an earlier post?
>
>> If I run this EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'
>> I get no records returned.
>> If I run this SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals
>> I get back 15 rows with RPS being one of them.
>
> Can you post the full output from
>
>   SELECT suser_sname(sid), *
>   FROM   yourdb.sys.database_principals
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
> Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

Jeffrey

excel 2000 out of memory
How big can a spreadsheet be in excel 2000 ?? I can seam to get over about 70 MB or I get can't open it and save it, I have 512 MB RAM and there is plenty left over when excel runs out of memory ?? Kim Hi Kim see http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm Charles ______________________ Decision Models FastExcel Version 2 now available. www.DecisionModels.com "Kim" <k@lazy.dk> wrote in message news:fD3zb.50506$jf4.2762193@news000.worldonline.dk... > How big can a spreadsheet be in excel 2000 ?? > > I can seam to get over about 70 MB or I get can't open ...

Add mailbox to a users Outlook automatic
Is there a way to add a mailbox to a users Outlook 2003 without having to manually go to "add email account" on the client. Some way to script it or to do it in the Exhange 2003 Server? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions /Allan E You should use Outlook Profiler... very simple to deploy... "MTR01" <someone@something.com> wrote in message news:uI0UhxPEGHA.344@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to add a mailbox to a users Outlook 2003 without having to > manually go to "add email account" on the client. Some way to script it or > to ...

Disable user interaction in VBA
Hi All, How can you disable user interaction with a workbook while awaiting completion of running of a few macros? These macros depend on specific selection of worksheets and if users change the worksheet tabs, they will break the macros. How can I disable their user interaction with workbook while macros are running? I tried the followings which failed: - changing the cursor shape to xlwait - Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.EnableEvents = False thanks for your help. Write your macro code to be independent of selection: Instead of Worksheets(...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Backing Up Contacts in Outlook 2000
I have MS Office 2000 installed in my PC and use Outlook 2000 solely for Contact Data . I have all my APPLICATIONS installed on the C: which is where XP Pro SP2 is also installed. I use the D drive for DATA and back up all the data each day using Second Copy. This works OK for all the data except the Outlook Contact data which I understand is contained in the file "contacts.pst" I cannot find the path for this file so cannot , therefore backup this data. How do I find the PATH for this file so that I can point Second Copy to it so that it too will be included in the daily b...

MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-n for MS Sharepoint CUub
I am trying to get SQL Reporting Services installed in the MOSS 2007 test environment (SP2). After my servers and Farm are set up and running, I install MS SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Add-in for MS Sharepoint Technologies. When I try to build a cube (which worked before I installed the add-in), my cube build services breaks with an ActiveX Component Can't Create error I've searched the internet high and low for a workaround, but the only one I find that works is removing the Add-in. Not a good choice as we want this running to mirror our production. I se...

Deleted User Accounts Giving Error Event 9548
Previously deleted user accounts now show up with. ----------------------------------- Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9548 Date: 7/8/2005 Time: 11:38:03 PM User: N/A Computer: VIKING Description: Disabled user /O=DOMAIN/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=USER does not have a master account SID. Please use Active Directory MMC to set an active account as this user's master account. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. ----------------------------------- I looked at the KB it recommend...

Upgrading the CPU?

SQL view
I'm slowly trying to learn SQL in Access. Probably the usual way - for every query I build with the QBE grid I then switch to sql view and get to grips with the code. (That and the usual book learning etc.) However, SQL view in Access is *so* unfriendly. The code in a one-colour long stream of text makes it very difficult to parse & follow the syntax etc. I've seen our IT guys coding SQL and the interface they use (not sure of the name) allows for indenting, colour-coding etc. so the code is much easier to follow. Is there a similar thing I can use in Access? Any kind of ...

unable to drag scrollbar in excell 2000
I have office 2000 installed on my xp home sp2 machine and when i click on the scroll bar in excel to drag it to the required point on the worksheet it just jumps to the end of the sheet in effect acting like a page up or down button. i am actually clicking on the scroll bar as i now clicking under it has the same effect. has anyone come across this or have a fix? i have a wheel mouse and can scroll down the page with that but this is starting to bug me now.. any suggestions greatly appreciated ...

8.0 Upgrade

access sql database from client machine
I am having a office network consisting of a SBS2003 Server and 12 Client Computers running Windows XP. Now on one of the XP computers I am running SQL7 which holds the database to the program I am running. Now when I log into the system with a username (lets say John) who is a domain user in my sbs sever who has limited rights to the sql7 machine, I am able to run my program and access the database. Now when I log from another windows XP machine with the same user name and run my program I cannot access the SQL7 database as I get the msg “ Time Out “. However if I make the ...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

XP Upgrade

sort blockwise (excel 2000 or later)
Hello, I use excel 2000 and have the following table Col1 | Col 2 ---------------------- Item 2 | Item 2b | Item 2a | Item 2c | Item 2d Item1 | Item1a | Item 1b | Item 1c .... Item n Item n1 I want to sort that list in a way that I obtain either of the following: Item1 | Item1a | Item 1b | Item 1c Item 2 | Item 2b | Item 2a | Item 2c | Item 2d or Item1 | Item1a | Item 1b | Item 1c Item 2 | Item 2a | Item 2b | Item 2c | Item 2d Any ...

Resetting Money 2000
Is there any way to reset Money 2000 short of uninstalling? In other words, how do I get it to let me start over without having to compete with all the info that's been put in before? We stopped using the program sometime last year and now I want to start using it again anew. Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer. Jake File|New is usually very effective. "Jake" <deos17@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:070801c362c8$c11313a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to reset Money 2000 short of > uninstalling? In other words, how do I get it to le...

multile problems with Exch 2000
Hi, I'm having real problems with my exchange - 2000 on 2000AS. I can't mail enable a public folder. I can't give a user an email address - manually or automatically on creation. I can't backup (NTBackUP) as it crashes (I suspect when it starts to look at the data) everytime. I'm getting very nervous!!! Any suggestions (polite ones) apart from getting a new server? NEIL What happens when you try to do any of this?? Do you get any errors? What shows in your event logs?? S. "Neil Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in message news:d...

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Restrict Users sending to specific email addresses (Exch 2003)
We have some ex-employees with personal email addresses that we don't want our employees to be able to send to. Is there a way to prohibit users from sending to specific email addresses? I've already tried adding the user to the Recipient Filtering within Message Delivery, but messages do go through. Also I have applied the filters on our Default SMTP Virtual Server. Any help would be appreciated. I'd try adding a contact in AD for that user and then setup restrictions on it. I suspect the check name would then resolve the SMTP address to the contact :-) If that works you could ...

Web import from Access database
I know this is an ASP problem, but I don't do asp and I only need to know if something is possible from ASP. We supply Clients with an Access database (on CD) for each survey that we carry out for them. The CD also includes a folder of photographs for the sample points within the survey. Only the path to the photo is stored in the database. Note that subsequent surveys can be imported into this database. Our client has replicated the structure as a web application, and needs to import data and photos from subsequent surveys that we do for them. This functionality works fine in...

Exchange 2000 mailbox store
I don't know why my exchange 2000 mailbox store keeps being dismounted by itself. By the time i restart the server its mounted again. It does this every 3/4hours each day. I have Win2000 SP4 and ex2000 running. The exchange server is on the schema master DC there must be something in your application or system event logs on why it's doing this... "tayoajax" <tayoajax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3129678-76C8-4101-90A9-24F7F1173B56@microsoft.com... > I don't know why my exchange 2000 mailbox store keeps being dismounted by > itself....

Is it possible 2000 really did this?????
I have a questions from clients that have recently upgraded from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. When they exit outlook, if they had messages open when using outlook 2000, the messages would stay up on the desktop, but in outlook 2003 the messages also close when outlook is exited. Is there a way to change that? Denise No, it didn't do that as a feature. When this happened it was actually the outlook.exe process hanging. In Outlook 2003 it is a feature but implemented differently; minimize to the Notification Area by righ clicking the Outlook icon in the Notification area and choose...

SQL 2005- install failed
Hi - I just noticed that on one of my machines is running sql server 2000. The install must of flaked out. What do I need to do to get it up to 2005? A reinstall? How would you go about doing a clean uninstall and then reinstall? Thanks Brent Brent wrote: > How would you go about doing a clean uninstall and then reinstall? Thanks > Brent Your machine have the requirements for sql 2005? dotnet framework 2.0 installed, wmi services enabled ... ? cod ...