SQL Server 2005 and 2008

All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL Server
2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my SQL Server
2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup and I want to
know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my current Management
Studio? Should I be upgrading to the 2008 version?

Also, is it possible to create Maintenace Packages to backup my SQL Server
2005 database from my SQL Server 2008 server? I want to start setting up new
Maintenance Plans on the 2008 box if that's possible?

Finally, I have SQL Server 2005 Express installed on my personal Notebook at
home so that I can work on my 2005 database at home when necessary. I'd like
to upgrade my SQL Server to 2008, but I still need to be able to use 2005.
Can I install SQL Server 2008 on my notebook with 2005 and run both instances
when necessary? I'm running Windows Vista Enterprise 64-Bit Edition.

Thanks.
--
Greg Setnes
cSharpWeb Developers

On 2010-04-22 21:01, Greg wrote:
> All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL Server
> 2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my SQL Server
> 2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup and I want to
> know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my current Management
> Studio?

You can't.

> Should I be upgrading to the 2008 version?

Yes. The 2008 Management Studio is fully compatible with 2005.

> Also, is it possible to create Maintenace Packages to backup my SQL Server
> 2005 database from my SQL Server 2008 server? I want to start setting up new
> Maintenance Plans on the 2008 box if that's possible?

This should work. If the 10.0 Native Client is installed on a 2005 server,
it should even work the other way around (a 2005 server issuing backup
commands to a 2008 server), though I haven't tested either scenario.

> Finally, I have SQL Server 2005 Express installed on my personal Notebook at
> home so that I can work on my 2005 database at home when necessary. I'd like
> to upgrade my SQL Server to 2008, but I still need to be able to use 2005.
> Can I install SQL Server 2008 on my notebook with 2005 and run both instances
> when necessary? I'm running Windows Vista Enterprise 64-Bit Edition.

This is no problem at all. You just have to make sure that either you do not
run the servers concurrently, or you give them unique ports and/or instance
names, just as you would need to do if you had two instances with the same
version.

--
J.

0
Jeroen
4/22/2010 7:42:18 PM
Jeroen Mostert (jmostert@xs4all.nl) writes:
> On 2010-04-22 21:01, Greg wrote:
>> All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL
>> Server 2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my
>> SQL Server 2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup
>> and I want to know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my
>> current Management Studio?
>
> You can't.

This is incorrect. But you must make sure that you have SP3 of the SQL 2005
tools on your box. SSMS 2005 SP2 cannot connect to SQL 2008.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
4/22/2010 9:42:39 PM
On 2010-04-22 23:42, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Jeroen Mostert (jmostert@xs4all.nl) writes:
>> On 2010-04-22 21:01, Greg wrote:
>>> All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL
>>> Server 2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my
>>> SQL Server 2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup
>>> and I want to know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my
>>> current Management Studio?
>>
>> You can't.
>
> This is incorrect. But you must make sure that you have SP3 of the SQL 2005
> tools on your box. SSMS 2005 SP2 cannot connect to SQL 2008.

Oh, that's good to know. Obviously I've never tried beyond SP2, as I imagine
many others haven't.

--
J.
0

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

Cannot install the 3rd Exchange 2003 Server
Hi All, Please help me. I cannot install the 3rd exchange Server 2003 on windows server 2003 Std with SP1 and without SP1. My AD is Server 2003 with SP1. The other 2 Exchange Server is 2003 std with SP2. During installing a new Exchange computer into the organization, I receive the following error message: Setup failed while installing sub-component Site Replication Service with error code 0xC007054B (please consult the installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again. And the log is have the following error: [19:50:13] DS or RPC is b...

Computerworld article on Mac Office 2008
Computerworld has a story giving a preview of Mac Office 2008. They have quotes from some key people at Microsoft who were involved in Mac Office 2008's development. The story can be read at this link: http://tinyurl.com/3be8p6 ...

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

sql summarizing help

Project Server Cube Build Issue
I think I screwed up the install order on the SQL DMO components. According to MSDN: " At this time, do not use the feature packs for SQL Server 2008 to install and download these components, as those files will not allow you to build cubes in SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services with Project Server 2007." However, I didn't read that carefully enough and installed the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects Collection instead of the 2005 version. Now I can't install the 2005 version even if I uninstall the 2008 version. The setup fails with the "highe...

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

Server
Working in a large office we have recently replaced our exchange server. The new server has a different name fom the old one. For the vast majority of users this has not caused a problem. One user about once a week cannot open hois Outlook and the server name reverts back to the old server name. Please help ! ...

Payees in 2005 Business
When you change account or address information is another Payee created in Money? My gas company is listed under Payees and I have auto bill pay setup for them. However when I look up what has been paid to that payee it only goes back to March of this year! When I look up the category it goes back much further, so when I looked up the Payee for before March, the same Payee showed up but some information is different (and not greyed out like for my recurring bill). BTW... this is affecting Budgets as well when I look at my budget history. :) Graham ...

Outlook access to mail servers blocked
For last two days I suddently been unable to down load any email via either my talk tal broadband or my vodaphone mobile connection the message i get is the same across 5 different POP3 servers Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' past post suggest the firewalls but had tried disabling them and its still the same - i know there is mail as i have it on my balckberry account - any ideas folks? I am r...

2005 Update failed
Hello, I have the 2005 Money trial version, I downloaded the update, but it failed to install. I cannot open Money with my current money.mny file, only a newly created one. The error is: A communication error occured. Please try your call again. If you cantinue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer Support. Thanks for the help Frank In microsoft.public.money, Frank wrote: > > >I have the 2005 Money trial version, I downloaded the update, but it failed >to install. I cannot open Money with my current money.mny file, only a ne...

Can someone tell me some newsgroup server about AI or datamining?
Hi, all I am sorry to post my question here, but i really need help from everyone here. I have googled for newsgroup talking about AI or dataming for a long time, however, it ends no result. Can someone show me any newsgroup servers just like msnews.microsoft.com, then I would post my question there and gather helps from those experts. Best wishes Hi, there are endless resources in the internet, you just have to look for the right words and places: http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/ http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/computer_science/artificial_intelligence/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artif...

Project Server 2007 Hotfix dated 2/23/10
Need help in trying to determine what is actually being fixed in the newest hotfix they are the following first and second items in the kb article. Also, could someone let me know what the note applies to as well (that is the first item or the second item or both). Thanks!!!! 1. You accept updates for assignments in Microsoft Office Project 2007. In this case, the values for actual work and for actual overtime work differ from the values submitted by the resources. When you save and then publish the project, the resource timesheet on the My Tasks page shows the same incorrect...

Outlook without Exchange Server
I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook 2003 can be used with pier-to-pier sertup in a small office with leass than 5 employees. The functionality desired would be to be able to forward and recieve messages, tasks, appointments, share and view calendar etc. I was wondering if outlook can be used within a workgroup in a LAN setup without having exchange server. Thanks, Athiff In news:1ad6001c423e0$2a80b120$a601280a@phx.gbl, Athiff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: || I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook || 2003 can be used with pier-...

PostgreSQL or other SQL servers in RMS
Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 for large databases? David "dh" <dh@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1783A90D-AF3E-4D91-A445-0039D4E7E379@microsoft.com... > Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? > Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 > for > large databases? RMS has implemented only for MS SQL Server (2000/MSDE) and isn't possible to work with ano...

Running server reporting errors
Hi Anyone seen this before - taken from the application log on an SBS 2003 server. Server does recover from this but this seems to be happening regularly. A process serving application pool 'CRMAppPool' terminated unexpectedly Appreciate any help or pointers. Regards After moveing to v3 mine did this too... and recovered.. after rebooting itself! PeteC wrote: > Hi > > Anyone seen this before - taken from the application log on an SBS 2003 > server. Server does recover from this but this seems to be happening > regularly. > > A process serving application po...

Management Studio
I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008 installed. When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those instances appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the list of network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only. Under the Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database engines listed. In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be? I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No for both ins...

sql.request #2
Does anyone have a comprehensible guide on how to use it that a dolt like me can follow? Every time I try I get a #N/A. The only guide I can find is at http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/UsingSqlRequest.zip but it's really hard to follow. From the MSDN Library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/office97/html/SEC41.asp Not sure how familiar you are with ODBC; but if you are getting #N/A as a result, it is usually because of problems either with the SQL syntax or the connection string. There are a few examples of connection strings in the re...

I did a reset account of a computer account in AD which is an exchange server
How can I get the exchange to talk back to the AD again ... Thanks Andy ...