SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Can a 2005 SQL DB located on a Windows 2003 R2 (32 bit) server be moved to a
Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) server?  Will the database have to be converted to
do this?

Thanks,

John

0
John

John,

Your Subject and your question details seem slightly out of synch, but here
goes:

1. (To the question) SQL Server databases are not server bit aware, so the
disk image is the same in 32-bit and 64-bit whether on Windows 2003 or
Windows 2008.

2. (To the Subject:) If you move a database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL
Server 2008, the database will be upgraded by the SQL Server 2008 server to
2008 format.  It will not be possible to then move the database back to SQL
Server 2005.  (Although you can use scripts to recreate the database in 2005
and move the data back to that server, but it is a lot of work.)

RLF

"John" <bsmith@aol.com> wrote in message
> Can a 2005 SQL DB located on a Windows 2003 R2 (32 bit) server be moved to
> a Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) server?  Will the database have to be converted
> to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

0
Russell

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

money 2005
Just a recommendation to all potential money 2005 purchasers...don't do it! Look around the message boards and you'll see countless examples of the program ruining peoples data; unfortunately, I'm one of those people to. Ever since i installed the program it has been updating my information on MSN Money as well. Everything was fine until I wanted to stop doing this and use Money 2005 independently of the web service. When I tried to erase the data from MSN server I couldn't. Then, when Money 2005 opens up my file it connects to the server and all hell breaks lose. My...

Computerworld article on Mac Office 2008
Computerworld has a story giving a preview of Mac Office 2008. They have quotes from some key people at Microsoft who were involved in Mac Office 2008's development. The story can be read at this link: http://tinyurl.com/3be8p6 ...

kb971117 report viewer redistributable 2005
I am having a problem getting this update installed. Have a 2003 Server Enterprise edition sp2. This guy became available a couple of weeks ago I believe. When it installs it prompts me for a location by saying this: Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK or enter an alternative path to the folder containing the installation package ReportViewer.msi. So I do a search for this file and it is located in C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft Report Viewer Red...

sql summarizing help

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

Windows 2008 NLB
Hello, I'm just setting up my first NLB in 2008 std. In your experience is it best to setup an NLB in multicast or unicast and is it best if both servers are in their own VLAN? Thanks Hi Whiteford, did you check if NLB over different subnets is supported even configurable ? Why do you need that ? Haven't seen yet an implementation where NLB nodes was on different IP networks. If supported the answer will depend on what you want to run on your NLB cluster. This requirements will normally be defined from the application side. I personally would start here w...

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

WSUS 3.0 on SBS 2008 Best Practise
Is there any way to get the WSUS 3.0 databse on SBS 2008 to just contain updates that are required? When I install WSUS 3.0 on SBS 2008 I find myself having to decline thousands of un approved updates just to get WSUS 3.0 to a point where it only show updates that require approval for the machines on the SBS 2008 domain. I`d like if WSUs 3.0 only displayed updates that require approval. any suggestions gladly welcome. thanks, This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CAE77F.3B3AE9E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

Payees in 2005 Business
When you change account or address information is another Payee created in Money? My gas company is listed under Payees and I have auto bill pay setup for them. However when I look up what has been paid to that payee it only goes back to March of this year! When I look up the category it goes back much further, so when I looked up the Payee for before March, the same Payee showed up but some information is different (and not greyed out like for my recurring bill). BTW... this is affecting Budgets as well when I look at my budget history. :) Graham ...

2005 Update failed
Hello, I have the 2005 Money trial version, I downloaded the update, but it failed to install. I cannot open Money with my current money.mny file, only a newly created one. The error is: A communication error occured. Please try your call again. If you cantinue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer Support. Thanks for the help Frank In microsoft.public.money, Frank wrote: > > >I have the 2005 Money trial version, I downloaded the update, but it failed >to install. I cannot open Money with my current money.mny file, only a ne...

PostgreSQL or other SQL servers in RMS
Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 for large databases? David "dh" <dh@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1783A90D-AF3E-4D91-A445-0039D4E7E379@microsoft.com... > Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? > Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 > for > large databases? RMS has implemented only for MS SQL Server (2000/MSDE) and isn't possible to work with ano...

Will Office 2008 have an upgrade path from Office 2004?
I'm hearing about a lot of problems with the updates, etc... I'd really like to know what is going on/expected to happen with the Office 2008 suite. It would be cool if MSBU could develop an accounting package for the office suite. Can someone fill me in on the 2008 scuttlebutt? --Walter-- Hi Walter, information on Office 2008 is quite scarce, so I'm afraid that no one outside of Microsoft has an answer to your question. As a matter of fact, I don't even know if that many people at Microsoft do, since it's still very early days for the upcoming Office suite. If I were...

Error in money 2008 when try open my file
I have a great possession, when I try to open my file in Money 2008, he gives a mistake and clamor. I have these file from the money 98, 99, 2002, 2004, 2007 and now 2008. Before yesterday it was working 100%. The mistake is soon in the opening of the file. Can it be when he collects the data for the screen My Money (home)? Thanks, Fernando Rodrigues My Moneys is Home and Business "Fernando Rodrigues - Fersoft" wrote: > I have a great possession, when I try to open my file in Money 2008, he gives > a mistake and clamor. > > I have these file fr...

Money 2005: "Spending by Category" says "No data to display"?
Hi all, On the Home tab under "Spending by Category" I see: 8/30/04 through 9/28/04 No data to display Well, I do have spending during that time frame. I imagine that the "Spending by Category" thingy is looking in the wrong account(s) and needs to be reconfigured. But I can't for the life of me figure out how -- when I right click it there's no "Customize" option or similar. Any ideas on how to fix this? P.S. I'm able to get data if I click the Reports tab and then "Spending by Category". It's only the "Spendi...

sql.request #2
Does anyone have a comprehensible guide on how to use it that a dolt like me can follow? Every time I try I get a #N/A. The only guide I can find is at http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/UsingSqlRequest.zip but it's really hard to follow. From the MSDN Library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/office97/html/SEC41.asp Not sure how familiar you are with ODBC; but if you are getting #N/A as a result, it is usually because of problems either with the SQL syntax or the connection string. There are a few examples of connection strings in the re...

Uninstall office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I've been having problems with my office install for a while now, it just refuses to update, saying the version of office required for the update isn't available. So i decided to uninstall the whole thing and reinstall it. However, the remove office app doesn't find any versions of office on my system :S Even though it's quite clearly there. I'm on snow leopard, but had these problems before i upgraded, too. Any ideas how i can remove it completely and reset everything so i can install it properly ...

MSDE or SQL Personal or SQL Developer? or SQL Workstation?
Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal? SQL Developer? SQL Workstation? Thank you. It depends on what edition of GP you are going to run. If you are going to use Professional, you need to go with SQL Server developer, assuming you are installing on a non-server OS. "ano" wrote: > Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal? > SQL Developer? SQL Workstation? > Thank you. Is the function of SQL Developer the same as Enterprise edition? How about personal edition? Can it be used for GP Pro? Can dev...

[ANN] The Entourage Help Blog: "Updated Exchange setup script supports Entourage 2008"
I've posted version 2.0 of my EntourageExchangeSetup AppleScript on The Entourage Help Page that includes support for Microsoft Entourage 2008's Kerberos feature as well as some minor additions and bug fixes. This AppleScript is intended to be modified by an administrator to assist his Entourage users with the setups of their Exchange server accounts. It has been tested specifically with Entourage 2004 11.2.6, 11.3.3, 11.3.7 and Entourage 12.00, 12.0.1 and 12.1.0 but should work with any version of Entourage 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) and higher. Every company's network is different...