Query on multiple servers, sort by server name

Hello
I'm running a query on the sysjobhistory table on multiple servers. This
works fine, except that the results are not sorted by server name, which is
quite annoying. As the column "server name" is not part of the query, is
there a way to sort by this column ?
Pierrot

0
wpher56

Hi Pierrot

How about:

select
@@ServerName Sname,
*
from msdb..sysjobhistory
order by @@ServerName desc

Jon

wpher56 (jstealque@hotmail.com) writes:
> I'm running a query on the sysjobhistory table on multiple servers. This
> works fine, except that the results are not sorted by server name, which
> is quite annoying. As the column "server name" is not part of the query,
> is there a way to sort by this column ?

Since I don't know sysjobhistory by heart, maybe you could post the
query, so that we can understand where the servername comes in.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
3/11/2010 10:30:51 PM
Hi Erland

I think he was talking about when you run a query against multiple instances
via ssms. the server name is appended by ssms to the resultset.

How to: Execute Statements Against Multiple Servers Simultaneously (SQL
Server Management Studio)

Jon

jgurgul (jgurgul@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I think he was talking about when you run a query against multiple
> instances via ssms. the server name is appended by ssms to the
> resultset.
>
> How to: Execute Statements Against Multiple Servers Simultaneously (SQL
> Server Management Studio)

Ah, that feature! I played with it when it first appeared in the beta, but
I have not had any real use for it, so  I've forgotten about.

No, it would be quite difficult to include the server name in the sorted
output. He would have to copy the result to Excel and resort there.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
Erland
3/12/2010 8:05:22 AM
From what I've read in several posts, ssms sends the query to the different
servers and then displays the results as they come back. It does not wait
for all servers to answer before displaying the results, so there is
apparently no way to sort by server name.

Pierrot

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> jgurgul (jgurgul@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
>> I think he was talking about when you run a query against multiple
>> instances via ssms. the server name is appended by ssms to the
>> resultset.
>>
>> How to: Execute Statements Against Multiple Servers Simultaneously (SQL
>> Server Management Studio)
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964743.aspx
>
> Ah, that feature! I played with it when it first appeared in the beta, but
> I have not had any real use for it, so  I've forgotten about.
>
> No, it would be quite difficult to include the server name in the sorted
> output. He would have to copy the result to Excel and resort there.
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
> Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

wpher56
3/12/2010 8:29:23 AM
As you said it seems that ssms simply merges each result into one window so
there is no way to order them. The order they come back is as ssms gets them.

Perhaps in some future version of the gui MS will allow you to order the
results windows. e.g under 1000 rows

Its quite an interesting feature, as long as you remember not to do anything
crazy like "drop table x" in one of these windows.

Jon

"wpher56" wrote:

> From what I've read in several posts, ssms sends the query to the different
> servers and then displays the results as they come back. It does not wait
> for all servers to answer before displaying the results, so there is
> apparently no way to sort by server name.
>
> Pierrot
>

> "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> > jgurgul (jgurgul@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> >> I think he was talking about when you run a query against multiple
> >> instances via ssms. the server name is appended by ssms to the
> >> resultset.
> >>
> >> How to: Execute Statements Against Multiple Servers Simultaneously (SQL
> >> Server Management Studio)
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964743.aspx
> >
> > Ah, that feature! I played with it when it first appeared in the beta, but
> > I have not had any real use for it, so  I've forgotten about.
> >
> > No, it would be quite difficult to include the server name in the sorted
> > output. He would have to copy the result to Excel and resort there.
> >

> > --
> > Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
> >
> > Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
> > Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
>
> .

Why can't you just store the output in a temp table, wait for everything to
complete and then select from the temp, with an order by?

--
Jay Konigsberg
SQL Server DBA in Sacramento, CA

Live in Sacramento, CA?
Join the Sacramento SQL Server User Group on LinkedIn
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2825448&trk=anet_ug_hm&goback=%2Emyg

"wpher56" <jstealque@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> From what I've read in several posts, ssms sends the query to the
> different servers and then displays the results as they come back. It does
> not wait for all servers to answer before displaying the results, so there
> is apparently no way to sort by server name.
>
> Pierrot
>

> "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
>> jgurgul (jgurgul@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
>>> I think he was talking about when you run a query against multiple
>>> instances via ssms. the server name is appended by ssms to the
>>> resultset.
>>>
>>> How to: Execute Statements Against Multiple Servers Simultaneously (SQL
>>> Server Management Studio)
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964743.aspx
>>
>> Ah, that feature! I played with it when it first appeared in the beta,
>> but
>> I have not had any real use for it, so  I've forgotten about.
>>
>> No, it would be quite difficult to include the server name in the sorted
>> output. He would have to copy the result to Excel and resort there.
>>

>> --
>> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>>
>> Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
>> Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

0
Jay
3/12/2010 12:59:39 PM
Jay Konigsberg (spam@nospam.org) writes:
> Why can't you just store the output in a temp table, wait for everything
> to complete and then select from the temp, with an order by?

Because the data arrives into SQL Server Mgmt Studio. This is a client-
side feature, not a server side feature.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
3/13/2010 6:23:54 PM
> Because the data arrives into SQL Server Mgmt Studio. This is a client-
> side feature, not a server side feature.

What is a client side feature? Selecting from a linked server?

Are you saying I can't run:

CREATE TABLE #temptbl (ServerName sysname, step_name nvarchar(128));

INSERT INTO #temptbl
SELECT 'LinkSrv1', step_name
FROM LinkSrv1.msdb.dbo.sysjobhistory;

INSERT INTO #temptbl
SELECT 'LinkSrv2', step_name
FROM LinkSrv2.msdb.dbo.sysjobhistory;

SELECT *
FROM #temptbl
ORDER BY ServerName

--

> Jay Konigsberg (spam@nospam.org) writes:
>> Why can't you just store the output in a temp table, wait for everything
>> to complete and then select from the temp, with an order by?
>
> Because the data arrives into SQL Server Mgmt Studio. This is a client-
> side feature, not a server side feature.
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Jay
3/13/2010 7:41:10 PM
Jay Konigsberg (spam@nospam.org) writes:
> What is a client side feature? Selecting from a linked server?

Telling SSMS to run a batch on multiple servers. This is a new feature in
SQL Server Management Studio 2008.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
3/13/2010 11:03:37 PM
> Telling SSMS to run a batch on multiple servers. This is a new feature in
> SQL Server Management Studio 2008.

OK, I get it, even if I haven't been able to fully experiment with it.

I still don't get why you can't create a temp table on one of the servers,
using the 4-part name and insert rows into it from the select.

Maybe I'll have time to try it later.

--

> Jay Konigsberg (spam@nospam.org) writes:
>> What is a client side feature? Selecting from a linked server?
>
> Telling SSMS to run a batch on multiple servers. This is a new feature in
> SQL Server Management Studio 2008.
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Jay
3/15/2010 7:23:37 PM
Jay Konigsberg (spam@nospam.org) writes:
> I still don't get why you can't create a temp table on one of the servers,
> using the 4-part name and insert rows into it from the select.

Yeah, that would be a possible workaround. But then you lose the charm
with the new feature. :-)

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
3/15/2010 10:13:17 PM
Charm? Is this about getting the job done, or not?

--

> Jay Konigsberg (spam@nospam.org) writes:
>> I still don't get why you can't create a temp table on one of the
>> servers,
>> using the 4-part name and insert rows into it from the select.
>
> Yeah, that would be a possible workaround. But then you lose the charm
> with the new feature. :-)
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Jay
3/15/2010 11:06:56 PM
The problem with using linked servers, is - well, creating the linked
servers.  Using the multi-query process you don't have to create any linked
servers.

I haven't followed the whole thread - but I would just use the multi-query
functionality, export the results to Excel and sort them there.  Yeah,
manual process - but it gets the job done ;)

"Jay Konigsberg" <spam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Charm? Is this about getting the job done, or not?
>
> --
> Jay Konigsberg
> SQL Server DBA in Sacramento, CA
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jaykonigsberg
>
> Live in Sacramento, CA?
> Join the Sacramento SQL Server User Group on LinkedIn
> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2825448&trk=anet_ug_hm&goback=%2Emyg
>

> "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
>> Jay Konigsberg (spam@nospam.org) writes:
>>> I still don't get why you can't create a temp table on one of the
>>> servers,
>>> using the 4-part name and insert rows into it from the select.
>>
>> Yeah, that would be a possible workaround. But then you lose the charm
>> with the new feature. :-)
>>

>> --
>> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>>
>> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
>> SQL 2008: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
>> SQL 2005: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
>> SQL 2000:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

0
Jeffrey
3/16/2010 1:35:59 AM
I prefer to keep it all in the database, heck if I could get the db to host
web pages I might, but since what you suggest is a semi-simple copy/paste,
.... yea!

--

"Jeffrey Williams" <jeff.williams3188@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The problem with using linked servers, is - well, creating the linked
> servers.  Using the multi-query process you don't have to create any
> linked servers.
>
> I haven't followed the whole thread - but I would just use the multi-query
> functionality, export the results to Excel and sort them there.  Yeah,
> manual process - but it gets the job done ;)
>
> "Jay Konigsberg" <spam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Charm? Is this about getting the job done, or not?
>>
>> --
>> Jay Konigsberg
>> SQL Server DBA in Sacramento, CA
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jaykonigsberg
>>
>> Live in Sacramento, CA?
>> Join the Sacramento SQL Server User Group on LinkedIn
>> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2825448&trk=anet_ug_hm&goback=%2Emyg
>>

>> "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yeah, that would be a possible workaround. But then you lose the charm
>>> with the new feature. :-)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>>>
>>> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
>>> SQL 2008: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
>>> SQL 2005: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
>>> SQL 2000:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

0
Jay

conditional format multiple colours #2
not sure i understand about testing for a string? I undersand about using condtional fomat for 4 values , but I have possiblty of 8 Joh -- atme ----------------------------------------------------------------------- atmel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1615 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27586 John, I mean that I am reading that the cell will contain say '0800 - 15:00', not a time value, so you test for a string not a number. If you have 8 it is probably best to use worksheet events. Here is an ...

Timer for Queries?

Erratic results from query criteria

Gain the name of an open sheet
G'day all... I have a macro that opens html pages from a specified folder one at a time and then appends the data from each open page in a certain range to a master sheet. ie) range to copy from each sheet (approx 140) is A1:C100 and then this would be "stacked" from each file to one excel file with all the data. Not too hard at all. What I would like to do now is grab the last word on the title of each page and add this to the list from the range. For example the macro opens workbook 1, grabs the data from A1:C100 and copies it to master.xls, opens workbook 2, grabs the data...

Problem moving multiple items after .pst import
Hi, I imported a users .pst to our Exchange 5.5 Server via Outlook2k. After this he cannot move or delete multiple items without getting Outlook to hang (single items work just fine). Works fine using the OWA, though... Would you say this is a IS (or Exchange) problem or Outlook client error? Rgds :// Thomas Run Performance Optimizer (perfwiz.exe) on your Exchange machine. Thomas Arcclight wrote: > Hi, > I imported a users .pst to our Exchange 5.5 Server via > Outlook2k. > After this he cannot move or delete multiple items without > getting Outlook to hang (single items ...

Update Query ?

GP 10 Home Page + Outlook + Citrix Server = CRASH!
We're in the QA phase of an upgrade to Dynamics GP V10 from V8SP5 and we've encountered a problem with the Home Page. If the Outlook section is visible, Dynamics GP will crash during the rendering of the Home Page with an error referencing dxtrans.dll. I have checked versions of this dll with a known to be working workstation and found no differences. I suspect there is an issue with way IE is configured (or operates) in Server 2003. For now we've removed the Outlook section of the Home Page and are proceeding with our QA testing. This question was originally posted by ...

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ? #2
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? By the way, any issue with Exchange SP2 ? Rgrds, Zul See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37488 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896742. I would recomment upgrading Exchange first. -- Regards, Roland "Zul J" wrote: > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one...

pass through query

a count field in a query?

Multiple criteria
Ok I have a workbook I am working on for someone else and my formulas will not work. Any help would greatly be appreciated. =SUMPRODUCT(--(C4:C59>=5900),--(C4:C59<=5999)) this works like a charm but I need to use this plus (e4:e59="g-shift"). I need the first formula to be the condition to count the second formula. so basically i want if c4 has 5950 and E4 has g-shift then I get 1 and if e4 is blank then i get 0. Everything I have tried says that the formula is wrong. Did you try: =SUMPRODUCT(--(C4:C59>=5900),--(C4:C59<=5999),--(e4:e59="g-shift")) I...

Sort by date field
I am using Windows XP and Access 2000. I have two tables Tbl-TrainingWaiting and Tbl-TrainingSchedule. I have a form called Frm-TrainingWaiting which has the table Tbl-TrainingWaiting as the Record Source. I use =TRACourse1.Column(1) in the Control Source of a text box to display the date held in the Tbl-TrainingSchedule table. I am trying to make the form Frm-TrainingWaiting sort on the date field. Can this be done? Thanks you in advance for any help. Richard "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:560D5293-F2B4-4FA9-B...

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Multiple Mail Sends
Sorry to cross post folks - first request on these Outlook forums so not sure which of these two to use for best response. I have Outlook 2002 and am having problems with multiple sending of files with large attachments. For example, a mail with 3 * 1meg jpegs was sent by my system and was at 100% on the send bar, then suddenly it starts to resend again. In fact it sends as many times as it can and some recipients have gotten 12 copies of the same mail. All the while in my outbox the file looks like it has not been sent! My ISP (plusnet) claims no responsibility but my thought is that Outlo...

How do I print only one item on a page instead of multiple.
I'm trying to print out a badge in publishing on XP pro. and I only want to print out 1 badge and not a repeat of the same badge on the page. This was easy to do on 98 pub., all I had to do was x out the ones I didn't want on page preview. Is there a way to do this or am I goint to have to waste a sheet? "dummy06" wrote: > I'm trying to print out a badge in publishing on XP pro. and I only want to > print out 1 badge and not a repeat of the same badge on the page. This was > easy to do on 98 pub., all I had to do was x out the ones I didn't want on ...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

SQL Server 2005 memory manager procedure cache behavior?
Can some one give me some insight on the SQL Server 2005 memory manager procedure cache behavior if the SQL statements are issued from Visual Studio vs having club all the SQL Statements as an SP. Do SP plans are kept longer in the procedure cathe than individual SQL ones. Is there a priority of one vs other? Please point me to any articles related to this. I have found one article but it is for SQLServer7.0 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa226174(SQL.70).aspx It's not so much which stays in the cache longer as it's about the same principle as outlined in the white...

Protecting multiple sheets
Is there any way to protect/unprotect more than one sheet at a time? I have a number of files with multiple sheets, and can't find a way to do this quickly. I'm using version 2000. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Have a look at: www.asap-utilities.com You can download a free add-in that will help you with this, and many other jobs. Andy. "hbc16 >" <<hbc16.12jxo5@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:hbc16.12jxo5@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is there any way to protect/unprotect more than one sheet at a time? I > have a nu...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Sorting multiple columns that have similar data
I am trying to sort a worksheet where multiple colums contain the same type of data; the data duplicates down a column but not across a row. I can't figure out how to sort/filter for any rows that have that duplicate data in any column. Instead I wind up sorting the first column I need, which only allows you to sort the remaining rows. ...

Could not change mail address after windows server 2003 sp1 #2
Exchange Server 20003 SP1 on Server 2003 Enterprise After upgrade to Win Server 2003 SP1 only users who are members of Local Administrators Group (in Exchange 2003 server) can change an email address. They can create new mail enabled users (with default addresses) The error message is An Exchange Server could not be found in the domain Check if the Microsoft System Attendant service is running on the Exchange Server ID no: c10308a2 Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension "tmos" wrote: > Exchange Server 20003 SP1 on Server 2003 Enterprise > After upgrade t...

Open Multiple Instances of Excel
I remember reading about this problem in here before and now a user here in my office has it. Every time she launches Excel, it would open like 10 files that she's opened before. I appreciate any help. Thanks. Sounds to me like those ten files are stored in her "auto open" folder. Click Tools>Options and select the General tab. Check which folder is listed in the "At startup, open all files in:" box. Edit this entry or move the files to another folder. HTH swatsp0p "RobertN" wrote: > I remember reading about this problem in here before an...