Mirroring: High safety. (Data loss question).

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB50DC.FB9E3DB0

Hello Reader,

For mirroring in the High Protection mode, I did understand that the =
transaction safety is FULL and therefore that there is no data loss when =
the primairy fails.
This is what I understood from several websites.

Now I read on a website (see below:  '(with possible data loss)').

Is this website wrong ? Am I wrong ?
Do I misunderstand ?

Thanks for your time and attention,
Ben Brugman.

On the website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx

I Read:
High safety without automatic failover (synchronous)

All committed transactions are guaranteed to be written to disk on the =
mirror server.=20

Manual failover is possible when the partners are connected to each =
other and the database is synchronized.=20

The loss of a partner has the following effect:

  a.. If the mirror server instance becomes unavailable, the principal =
continues.

  b.. If the principal server instance becomes unavailable, the mirror =
stops but is accessible as a warm standby; the database owner can force =
service to the mirror server instance (with possible data loss).=20

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB50DC.FB9E3DB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello Reader,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For mirroring in the High Protection =
mode, I did=20
understand that the transaction safety is FULL and therefore that there =
is no=20
data loss when the primairy fails.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is what I understood from several=20
websites.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now I read on a website (see below: =
&nbsp;'(with=20
possible data loss)').</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is this website wrong ? Am I wrong =
?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Do I misunderstand ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for your time and =
attention,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ben Brugman.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On the website:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx"><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx</FONT><=
/A></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I Read:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><SPAN class=3Dlabel><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>High safety without =
automatic=20
failover (synchronous)</FONT></SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All committed transactions are guaranteed =
to be=20
written to disk on the mirror server. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Manual failover is possible when the =
partners are=20
connected to each other and the database is synchronized. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The loss of a partner has the following=20
effect:</FONT></P>
<UL>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If the mirror server instance becomes =
unavailable,=20
  the principal continues.</FONT></P>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If the principal server instance =
becomes=20
  unavailable, the mirror stops but is accessible as a warm standby; the =

  database owner can force service to the mirror server instance=20
  <STRONG><EM><U>(with possible data loss)</U></EM></STRONG>.=20
</FONT></P></LI></UL></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB50DC.FB9E3DB0--

0
ben

I would assume that the possible data loss refers to any transaction
that was committed but not yet persisted to disk (and therefore not yet
available on the mirror).
--
Gert-Jan

> ben brugman wrote:
>
> Hello Reader,
>
> For mirroring in the High Protection mode, I did understand that the
> transaction safety is FULL and therefore that there is no data loss
> when the primairy fails.
> This is what I understood from several websites.
>
> Now I read on a website (see below:  '(with possible data loss)').
>
> Is this website wrong ? Am I wrong ?
> Do I misunderstand ?
>
> Thanks for your time and attention,
> Ben Brugman.
>

> On the website:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx
>
> I Read:
>
> High safety without automatic failover (synchronous)
>
> All committed transactions are guaranteed to be written to disk on the
> mirror server.
>
> Manual failover is possible when the partners are connected to each
> other and the database is synchronized.
>
> The loss of a partner has the following effect:
>
>    * If the mirror server instance becomes unavailable, the principal
>      continues.
>
>    * If the principal server instance becomes unavailable, the mirror
>      stops but is accessible as a warm standby; the database owner can
>      force service to the mirror server instance (with possible data
>      loss).
0
Gert

Update Chart Source Data
I used the "Record Macro" function to get the code shown below. When I recorded the macro, the value of A1 was 392. But when I actually ran the macro, the value of A1 was 393. As you can see, the "Record Macro" function "hard coded" the value of 392. How can I make this work such that the SeriesCollection is updated with the CURRENT value of A1? Sheets("Chart2").Select Range("A1").Select Selection.Copy Sheets("Chart1").Select ActiveChart.PlotArea.Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Act...

data visualization
Hi, I have a 60k row worksheet that has three columns company customer num_orders Microsoft Maryland 150 Symantec Maryland 110 I want the chart to show that Microsoft and Symantec have a common customer. For example a circle representing Maryland would connect to two other circles representing Microsoft and Symantec. The 60k row worksheet contains hundreds different companies and thousands of different customers. If this cannot be done with Excel, does anyone have a low cost software solution? Thanks Ummm...with 60,000 records it is hard to imagine any visualizati...

Privileges Question
I have created a custom entity called RGAs for our Return Goods Authorization system. This custom entity is a one-to-many relationship with the account being the primary entity. We have also created a custom role for our regional sales people the basically limits the data they synchronize with to only be the data they own. All accounts 'owned' by the user will be visible to the user while off-line. Any contact or quote that gets created by someone else under that users owned account also shows up while off-line. The new RGA entity however does not. I have the read privileg...

Excel 2007 Installation Question
I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007 Version)... What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)? I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC). Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this installation or direct me to a website that might do the same? Many thanks in advance. Mark Ivey Just a little more clarification on my request... What I would like is the Excel XP versi...

sample data for CRM 4.0?
I read in the CRM 4.0 implementation guide (yeah, I am reading it!) that CRM 4.0 sample data was supposedly available for download... has anyone located the link for this? The resource center isn't coming up with anything. Thanks! Nick -- Nick Doelman www.readybms.com The sample data will be released soon (for English) and other languages will follow in due course. Philip Richardson [MSFT] "Nick Doelman" wrote: > I read in the CRM 4.0 implementation guide (yeah, I am reading it!) that CRM > 4.0 sample data was supposedly available for download... has anyone loca...

Calendar question
I'm using Publisher 2002. Last year I made a yearly, single page calendar. Now I want to change only the date to 2010. There has got to be a way to change only the date range without having to start over again from scratch, but I can't figure out how to do this. Anyone have a clue? Jeff -- "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" Richard Feynman Nobel Prize Physicist Yearly calendars are automatically correct for the chosen year when you change the date range. Did you customize it with your own edits? If this is the case, you wil...

help with data collection!
Hello all! Here is a c/p of partial of my post from the other forum. Any and all help is greatly appriceated guys! Thanks! So I have this list that has product numbers in column A, product prices in column B, and order number for the products in column C ... most products have more than once instance.. for example col a col b col c producta 10.99 345353 producta 11.99 3445453 producta 10.99 657567 producta 8.99 345353 producta 10.99 5464646 so what I'm trying to do now is , when i type in the product number(products are alphanumeric w/ no spaces - the a...

How do I change the size of the text box of data labels?
Excel does not give you the ability to resize these boxes. If you need more control, you have to use regular text boxes. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "rmashton" <rmashton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2779C336-3FB7-407B-A7AC-0773BE51A735@microsoft.com... > ...

Advanced Find records without certain data
I can't figure this out so I was hoping somebody could help me. We have a bunch of contacts on a marketing list. We created an activity on a subset of those contacts. I need to now find all the remaining contacts on that list that do not have the activity created. I can't find how to do this search. I can find all active contacts on the list, I just don't know how to find contacts that do not have the activity created with the certain name. It's a "does not contain an activity named this" type of search. Thanks for any help You may do it in reserve order...

Problem with creating two variable data table
Presently I am unable to set up a formula in a cell for two inpu variable. I have gone through EXCEL help on how to create two variabl data table but unable to do so. There may something wrong in formula. I have done the following : Inserted a formula in cell D20 which read as : D21^2+E20^2-4. Keyed in a set of inputs in same column below the cell in which formul is written i.e. D21:D26 and keyed in another set of input in same ro in the cell that is at the right of formula cell i.e. E20:J20. Always one message comes "Input cell reference is not valid". Ther must be something wro...

How do I label data points in a scatter graph
Hello, I am trying to label a data point in a scatter plot but it keeps returning the x value. I'd like to have the store # instead. Basically I have Store #, Acceptance % and $ Value Eligible. Right now I have Acceptance % as my x-value and $ Value Eligible as my y- value. I'd like the plot point to return the store # assoicated with the x and y value. On Oct 26, 8:43 am, Justin <JustinFeh...@iowatelecom.net> wrote: > Hello, I am trying to label a data point in a scatter plot but it > keeps returning the x value. I'd like to have the store # instead. > Basical...

Payable Trial Balance Question
All - I have 3 transactions that show everywhere they should be - PM and GL. They are open transactions. But...they don't show on the Trial Balance/Aging Report. What exactly determines what shows on that report? I've looked at all of the PM tables...the transactions are there, but they won't show on the report. Any help would be much appreciated. Jeff Jeff, I would start by looking at the report defintion settings in the Payables Trial Balance Report Options window. See if any of the 'Exclude' options are checked. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast...

Sot data and make it apperar in other sheet?
Hi. i have all my data in a "List table" in sheet1. How can i sort that data and make it appear in sheet2 automatically? is there a simply and obvious way that im missing? Thanks a lot SpeeD Sorting on a sheet won't magically make data appear on another sheet. Is the second sheet linked to the first? Sorting sheet1 will sort linked data on sheet2. Elsewise you will need VBA code to copy sorted data to sheet2 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:25:02 -0700, SpeeD <SpeeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi. > >i ha...

Loss of alert sounds in Office 2004
Hi. I bought a new iMAC 1.8 GHz 20-inch about two weeks ago, and transferred all my folders and apps using the migration wizard. Things initially worked fine. However, for the past week I am unable to get any alert sounds to play for any Office 2004 applications. I've checked the Preference boxes multiple times, without success. (Interestingly, sometimes the preference boxes for the alert sounds un-check themselves.) I had installed upgrades to 10.4.1 and Office 2004 service pack and updater 11.1.0 before I started having this problem. I've reinstalled Office and repaired permissions a...

data migration wizard can't import closed cases?
Hello, I am trying to use the data migration wizard to bring in some cases, but it will not allow import of case records with a status/status reason for closed cases. I get the following message for each record: "This message can not be used to set the state of incident to Closed. In order to set state of incident to Closed, use the CloseIncidentRequest message instead." I have tried looking at a way to import the cases as open and then import case resolutions, but I can't figure out how to make that work either. Has anyone solved how to do this? Thanks! Jon The C...

Question concerning Barron's, Wall Street Journal, Investors Business Daily (Compare/Contrast -- Help Me Choose!! Confused...)
Do you recommend Barron's OR Wall Street Journal OR Both? And perhaps throw Investors Business Daily (Investors.com) into the loop! Any recommendations? Why or why not? I am just wondering the key differences between both... I know Barron's is a weekly publication while WSJ is daily (weekdays and one weekend edition). You can also choose to receive the WSJ weekend edition. Investors is daily (weekdays and one weekend editions). You can also choose to receive ust the weekend/"Monday edition" as well, just like WSJ which is a cheaper price tag... I am more interested in the ...

Import data from FileMaker
I have a School Suspension file that is in FilemakerPro. It works very well. I want to automate a monthly report for our business office and want to be able to import data from the db into Excel. On Mac's I can do so quite nicely, simply Open Excel, then Open the FMPro db which launches a wizard and all is done in a few key strokes. Obviously I'm not as adept in XP. Using Excel 2003 and FileMaker Pro 6.ov4 how can I accomplish this task? I don't speak FileMakerPro, so you can try this or wait for a real response! Open excel. File|Open Look at all the fileformats that excel ...

missing data points causes my line graph not to connect
Hi there, I am doing a simple line graph for data points over 200 days, however for some of the days I do not have data, therefore when I create a graph it where there is missing data the line does not connect, there should be an easy way to fix it, but I can't figure it out. I tried to just select the data I want in the series but it only holds so many and I can't get all the data points in. Please help Tools menu > Options > Chart tab. Choose the interpolation option for how Excel should treat a blank cell. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Techn...

Newbie questions
Hi there After many years of using Outlook express I am locking at moving over to Outlook. What I am about to ask has probable been asked a thousand times on the group, but I'm new here so I'm sorry. I am using Outlook 2000 I have run Outlook for the first time and said yes to the default directory where the files are held, thinking that I would be able to change it after like in express, but I can't see how, where or how do I change this directory? I have a main pc and a notebook, don't know if this can be done but can I sync the data between the 2 systems? If ...

Pivot tables
I have built a report that links multiple pivot tables to various acces queries, it is working exactely as I need it to. Only problem now is need to change the drive and directories the access database and th pivot table report actually sit on. What is the best method for moving the report and the queries -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

my previous question
I got the following reply to my question, thanks a lot! ...but I have one more question, I was wondering how I can delete all those unnecessary empty rows in the table after I've converted it? (a lot of empty rows between lines) I keep deleting them till every line is one after the other (that's also taking up more time than I'd like :) thanks --linda Copy the data in Excel, and paste it into Word In Word, select the table that contains the data Choose Table>Convert>Table to Text Select one of the separation options, click OK Linda wrote: > I have to copy and p...

Filter question
hello to all My form has 2 comboboxes:cboCategory and cboPriceRange, with the important columns being CategoryID and PriceRangeID respectively. The item showing in cboCategory determines the choices available in cboPriceRange. All of this works well. Now, I want to use these 2 selections to filter my records to show ProductID and ProductName when a button (cmdFilter) is clicked. It the user selects Power tools and $100 - $200, I want to filter my records to show only Products matching these criteria. I'm new enough to coding that I can't seem to get the code for this bu...

Recover exchange 2000 data
Hi Can anyone help with this please? i have an SBS2000 server (with exchange 2000) that wont boot due to the disk filling up and corrupting files. i have put in a new SBS2003 server and have it running ok but need to get the exchange data form the old server to the new..... is there a simple way to do this? like connecting the old data drive and "importing" the mail boxes or even just the emails.... thanks for any help Dan In news:58940B53-E821-4E3E-9FA3-BE988DEAD37B@microsoft.com, Dan da Box <Dan da Box@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi Can anyone help with t...

Can I create an Excel chart from non-contiguous data cells?
Using Excel Office 2003, I'm being asked to create charts from existing worksheets, often several within a workbook, using specific cells (total/average cells). The cells are not adjacent to one another, but they are identical from one worksheet to another. In my case, the cells are K15, K29, K42, W15, W29, and W42. I'd like a separate chart for each worksheet, and would like to have the chart automatically created once the data is in the worksheet. Is this possible? You can select discontiguous data by selecting one area, then holding CTRL while selecting additional areas....

Trying to "Grey Out" unwanted fields in a data entry form
I have a table with about 20 fields, one of them being "Analysis Type". There are 6 of these types. I then have a form in my self- made switchborad with 6 command buttons, all allowing the user to choose which type of analysis he wants - which then leads to the appropriate form. Now, what I am trying to do is make one big generic data entry form for each analysis type. For instance, if the user selects analysis type "X", then the generic data entry form comes up with all fields in the form listed, but the ones not pertinant to that analysis type are "greyed out&quo...