Mirroring: High safety. (Data loss question).

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB50DC.FB9E3DB0

Hello Reader,

For mirroring in the High Protection mode, I did understand that the =
transaction safety is FULL and therefore that there is no data loss when =
the primairy fails.
This is what I understood from several websites.

Now I read on a website (see below:  '(with possible data loss)').

Is this website wrong ? Am I wrong ?
Do I misunderstand ?

Thanks for your time and attention,
Ben Brugman.

On the website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx

I Read:
High safety without automatic failover (synchronous)

All committed transactions are guaranteed to be written to disk on the =
mirror server.=20

Manual failover is possible when the partners are connected to each =
other and the database is synchronized.=20

The loss of a partner has the following effect:

  a.. If the mirror server instance becomes unavailable, the principal =
continues.

  b.. If the principal server instance becomes unavailable, the mirror =
stops but is accessible as a warm standby; the database owner can force =
service to the mirror server instance (with possible data loss).=20

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB50DC.FB9E3DB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello Reader,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For mirroring in the High Protection =
mode, I did=20
understand that the transaction safety is FULL and therefore that there =
is no=20
data loss when the primairy fails.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is what I understood from several=20
websites.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now I read on a website (see below: =
&nbsp;'(with=20
possible data loss)').</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is this website wrong ? Am I wrong =
?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Do I misunderstand ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for your time and =
attention,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ben Brugman.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On the website:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx"><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx</FONT><=
/A></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I Read:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><SPAN class=3Dlabel><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>High safety without =
automatic=20
failover (synchronous)</FONT></SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All committed transactions are guaranteed =
to be=20
written to disk on the mirror server. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Manual failover is possible when the =
partners are=20
connected to each other and the database is synchronized. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The loss of a partner has the following=20
effect:</FONT></P>
<UL>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If the mirror server instance becomes =
unavailable,=20
  the principal continues.</FONT></P>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If the principal server instance =
becomes=20
  unavailable, the mirror stops but is accessible as a warm standby; the =

  database owner can force service to the mirror server instance=20
  <STRONG><EM><U>(with possible data loss)</U></EM></STRONG>.=20
</FONT></P></LI></UL></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CB50DC.FB9E3DB0--

0
ben

I would assume that the possible data loss refers to any transaction
that was committed but not yet persisted to disk (and therefore not yet
available on the mirror).
--
Gert-Jan

> ben brugman wrote:
>
> Hello Reader,
>
> For mirroring in the High Protection mode, I did understand that the
> transaction safety is FULL and therefore that there is no data loss
> when the primairy fails.
> This is what I understood from several websites.
>
> Now I read on a website (see below:  '(with possible data loss)').
>
> Is this website wrong ? Am I wrong ?
> Do I misunderstand ?
>
> Thanks for your time and attention,
> Ben Brugman.
>

> On the website:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188712.aspx
>
> I Read:
>
> High safety without automatic failover (synchronous)
>
> All committed transactions are guaranteed to be written to disk on the
> mirror server.
>
> Manual failover is possible when the partners are connected to each
> other and the database is synchronized.
>
> The loss of a partner has the following effect:
>
>    * If the mirror server instance becomes unavailable, the principal
>      continues.
>
>    * If the principal server instance becomes unavailable, the mirror
>      stops but is accessible as a warm standby; the database owner can
>      force service to the mirror server instance (with possible data
>      loss).
0
Gert

daily data overlaid by monthly data chart
I have to create a graph that has daily data overlaid by monthly data. Ideally the monthly data would be a bar graph with the daily data as line graph over top. 'Here's a pic to explain what I mean (http://apple.termisoc.org/~j/files/excel_nightmare.JPG) (96kb) I also had the problem that the monthly data was in a differen arrangement - the date traversing the columns with the daily data wen vertically. - To fix it I used the Edit -> Special paste -> transpose option an then laboriously cut and pasted the resulting arrangement to one bi column. Wish I knew a better way. I ...

Chart and Data range
Hello I'm using a chart dayly and i would like that the chart take all the data without selecting source data within data source and updating the range manualy. Thanks for Help Louis Do a Google search for: Excel dynamic chart or go to http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F2F4B7D-82E2-47F9-9D05-79BEE769CFC2@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I'm using a chart dayly and i would li...

Import data using macro
Hi, how do you use excel to import a text file using a macro to do the work for you? I start by creating a new workbook. Then turn on the macro recorder and open that text file. (Try not to make errors--it can make clean up troublesome.) Then format the worksheet (headers/footers/page layout/filters,freeze panes) exactly the way you want. When you're done, turn off the macro recorder. Close the imported file and back to your other workbook. Insert a giant button from the forms toolbar on the first worksheet (with instructions). Then save it. Now go into the vbe and start tweakin...

database mirroring question
for database mirroring, can one mirror server to two principle servers? That means two mirrored servers mirror to one same mirroring server. Is that ok? Thanks. ...

XML data into MDB file
Hi all I am a newbie in xml. I have a requirement where I have a predefined XML files and I want to add the data in these file to into Access mdb through my application The xml structure is fixed and I hav eto implement a button which on click submit the data to the mdb file without any further intervention from user. My problems are :: 1) Since xml file structure is fixed but it can have multiple nested elements in different files, the database in MDB should be relational. I dont know how I can achieve this. How will I maintain multiple tables in the target database?? for example :: on...

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Budget question
All, I have a question. I am struggling setting up the budget for my income. Problem is that we get salary increases in Mid year, and Money 2006 is reporting the paychecks trough the year (it will be nice, but) Any idea how to setup the budget when Paycheck 1 is till may, and Paycheck 2 starts in June? I tried putting end payment for the paycheck 1 and starting second one next month, but it didn't work. It was still reporting 2 incomes. AJ "AJ" <travolta@alextec.com> wrote in message news:OFuxT4cHGHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > All, > > I have a questio...

Need help in data copying.

Mirror pages
We working on a 55 page catalog that is using the ACCENT BOX layout that came with Publisher. Every page has a pageholder/header at the top that shows the name of the catalog, the page number and a little image. When we began this, we were adding single pages (not knowing about the master page concept). Now we have all the pages ready but we've noticed that the page numbers within the pageholder and image are all on the top right of every page. What we would prefer is that they be mirrored with the left pages (odd number) having these items on the left hand corner and the right ...

Copy selected columns from .xls to a .txt file question
I would like to be able to copy two columns from a .xls file, columns 2 (B) and 9(I) into a .txt file for approximately 100 rows, using VBA. What is the best way to do this? Thank you try this Sub Copy_Rows() With Application .DisplayAlerts =3D False .ScreenUpdating =3D False End With FpatH =3D "C:\Documents and Settings\username\filename.xls" Workbooks.Open FpatH FileP =3D ActiveWorkbook.path Range("B1:C100").Copy Workbooks.Add ActiveSheet.Paste ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=3D _ FileP & "\" & "1.txt&...

SQL Questions
Hi, i am from Spain, excuse my Inglish I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 1) can I install SQL 2000 Standard Edition? 2) Can I downgrade SQL 2008 Standard Edition licences to SQL 2000 Enterprise? 3) Need Windows 2003 R2 x64 SQL Enterprise Edition or can i install the SQL Standard? Thanks for all and excuse again my Inglish ZIDAC (ZIDAC@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 > > 1) can I install SQL 2000 Standard Edition? Yes. You will get a message saying that SQL 2000 RTM is not supported on Win2003, but that you need to insta...

Store to HQ -- is there data encryption?
Hi, when a store communicates with HQ in RMS, is there built in data encryption? If not, are there ways to encrypt the data other than using VPN? Just wondering since it seems like most companies would sales/inventory to be confidential. just wondering. thanks! so no one knows whether data is encrypted when being passed over the internet between the Store and HQ? Kamal wrote: > Hi, when a store communicates with HQ in RMS, is there built in data > encryption? If not, are there ways to encrypt the data other than > using VPN? Just wondering since it seems like most companies...

Setting hover data labels to cells other than source data
Hi and thanks in advance, I need a macro or something that will show a data label for a data source point when clicked or moved over by a mouse. I also need this data label to reference a different source than the source data used in the plot. For example, I am graphing a yield curve in relation to duration, however, instead of showing the x (duration) and y (yield) with the data label, I would like it to show the name of the instrument. x = column a, y = column b, instrument name = column c, for example. I have already tried using the tashar mehta macro for hovering data labels but it...

General CRM 3.0 questions
We are considering using CRM 3 in our SBS IT consulting firm. Our current environment consists of the following: - SBS 2003 and Exchange 2003 - Timetracker MX with QB interface that we use on our Audiovox 6600 PPC phone to track time that is then uploaded to QB for invoicing. - QB for accouting and invoicing - Outlook 2003 that syncronizes with our PPC phone to track contacts, notes, appointments, and tasks. My questions are as follows: - With CRM what sync capabilities will I have with my PPC phone and Outlook. Hi Mark, CRM will not change any sync capabilities between your phone and Ou...

Data export issues from Quickbooks
Hi, We are trying to migrate from Quickbooks to Great Plains. We are looking at various options in trying to extract data out of Quickbooks. 1. One of the options is export out through reports. However while exporting out transactions, here if an entry involves multiple accounts (called as SPLIT in Quickbooks), these accounts dont print on the reports unless you drill down. Has anyone encountered this situation. Any feedback on export of data out of Quickbooks will be appreciated (whether using reports or without it). Your export/import will be difficult and time consuming working...

SRS Question and possible link to error
I am currently running a single Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 server for my organization. We had been running an Exchange 5.5 server until this new one was in place and it has since been put out of its misery. (however I think it may have not been demoted properly, but that's another story) I just today changed the FQDN of the exhange server to our new domain and my ISP made the appropriate changes and it took fine... but I have two questions: 1. On the new Exchange server I still see a Site Replication Service, can this be safely deleted now that the 5.5 server is dead and gone? By deleting...

Sort on last two digits of data
A sorting question. I have a sheet of data A12:BC77. I would like to sort this on items in column A. The problem is I need to order it by the last two digits of the data in Column A. So say ZWE11 will come before AA77 and QW22 will come before BB55 and so on. There is probably a simple answer but it is missing me at the moment. All I can think of is splitting out the last two digits into a new column and sorting on that, then deleting that column once sorted but seems very messy. Any advice will be very gratefully received -- with kind regards Spike Hi Spi...

Charting Data from Excel
Hello, all! I'm new to this group and trying to figure out a way to query data from SQL Server 2000 into Excel to graph. Basically, I have one row of data that is collected on a weekly basis that reports the size of a various file that we send to customers. I would like to have Excel read the database from whatever date range that I specify, and have it graph the size of the file for both weekly, monthly, and yearly sizes. Can Excel query database directly? Does anyone have any sample charts or tutorials online that I can see how to do this? I suppose I could export my SQL data...

Microsoft Access "Classroom management database" question
Microsoft Access "Classroom management database" question. When grading, it has the ability in this template to put in scores for Assigments, Quizzes, Exams, Etc. For example, student scores 45 our of 100 possible points. BUT it does not calculate that into a grade, that field is editable and I guess you have to manually put in a letter grade. Leaving room for human error. Is there a way to make the # of points work or translate into a Letter Grade. Path is: Open Classroom management database, go to classes, choose assignment tab, and click View assignements. THere you can ...

Last cell with data in a range
I enter weekly data into a spreadsheet with a summary page at the front. After every week, when new data is entered, I want the formula at the front to use the cell with the new data instead of me having to change the existing formula. For example, my data looks like this: A B C 276 300 421 175 0 0 0 I need a formula that will automatically detect the last number >0 in column C. Thank you for your assistance! =Countif(C2:C1000,">0") so your main page formula might be something like: =...

SQL Server 2005 Mirroring (Same Server Mirror)
I am trying to set up SQL Server 2005 mirroring for testing on the same Windows 2003 server. I have created two separate SQL Server 2005 database instances. After setting up the mirroring between the two instances. When I tried to Start Mirroring after the configuration I received the error listed below. One or more of the sever network addresses lacks a fully qualified domain name (FQDN for each server, and click Start Mirroring again. The syntax for a fully-qualified TCP address is: TCP://<computer_name>,<domain_segment>[,<domain_segment>];<port>...

Data in combo box not visible
I have a form with a combo box on it, and it has worked flawlessly for sometime. Now, when I go to make a selection in the combo box, I see nothing but white. The list pulls down to 8 data items (as programmed) but there appears to be nothing there. But, when I select on "nothing", the data is selected. So if I go to position 3 in the combo box drop down list, I get the correct 3rd item. But I can't see anything in the drop down list. The resulting data selected does show up correctly in the main combo box field, but I can't see what I am selecting until after it is sel...

outlook data backed us as office data file
i recently backed up my outlook data and somehow it was backed up as an "office data file" not an "outlook data file". I am unable to open the file in outlook or word.is there a procedure to convert the file to an outlook data file so i can view it? Does it have a .pst extension on the file name? If yes, it is an outlook data file. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer andy <abs_senior@yahoo.com> asked: | i recently backed up my outlook data and...

Backing up Money data to online location?
2003 does not allow an easy way to save a back-up to an online location, such My Yahoo briefcase. I have to take the file, and upload it manually. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Will there be an online back-up option in future releases? I'd like to see it go to MSN via my Passport, for instance. I'd upgrade for that. Given the size of a backup and the availability of sync with the web, this might not make it anytime soon. "Iron Flatline" <tiredofvirusspam@anonymousnewsgroupreader.org> wrote in message news:emn3z882DHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > 2003 doe...

Updating Quarterly Data
Hi, I have a summary spreadsheet that is set up with a QTD budget column. This column links to a tab that has the budget numbers by month. Each month when I update the QTD budget column for the new month I either have to manually update all of the formulas to include the next month of the quarter, or if it=92s a new quarter I have to adjust all of the formulas to ONLY look at the new month. Is there a formula or way that I can automate this process? Here=92s an example of the formula that I=92m manually adjusting each month. Adjustment at the beginning of the quarter: From - =3DBudget!C31...