Management Studio - Local servers do not appear in the list of local servers

I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008 installed.
When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those instances
appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the list of
network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only. Under the
Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database engines listed.

In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP
enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be?

I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No for
both instances.

I also tried flushing the DNS cache, to no avail.

What did I set wrong to make this happen?

Sorry for the cross post, but I didn't get the problem fixed in another
group.

0
Paul

Paul
If you click on Browse for more... what do you see?

"Paul Pedersen" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008 installed.
>When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those instances
>appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the list of
>network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only. Under the
>Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database engines listed.
>
> In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP
> enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be?
>
> I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No
> for both instances.
>
> I also tried flushing the DNS cache, to no avail.
>
> What did I set wrong to make this happen?
>

> Sorry for the cross post, but I didn't get the problem fixed in another
> group.

0
Uri
3/21/2010 9:28:16 AM
It is as I tried to describe. Under Local Servers, there is only Integration
Services available. Under Network Servers, both SQL Server instances are
seen.

"Uri Dimant" <urid@iscar.co.il> wrote in message
> Paul
> If you click on Browse for more... what do you see?
>

> "Paul Pedersen" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>>I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008
>>installed. When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those
>>instances appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the
>>list of network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only.
>>Under the Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database
>>engines listed.
>>
>> In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP
>> enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be?
>>
>> I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No
>> for both instances.
>>
>> I also tried flushing the DNS cache, to no avail.
>>
>> What did I set wrong to make this happen?
>>

>> Sorry for the cross post, but I didn't get the problem fixed in another
>> group.

0
Paul
3/22/2010 5:50:43 PM
This must be an unusual problem, since I'm not getting any answers.

"Paul Pedersen" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>I have both a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and Express 2008 installed.
>When I try to connect with Management Studio, neither of those instances
>appears in the list of local servers. But I can see them in the list of
>network servers. In Local, I can see Integration Services only. Under the
>Network Servers tab, I see my server with the two database engines listed.
>
> In both cases, I have protocols Shared Memory, Named Pipes, and TCP/IP
> enabled, and VIA disabled. Is that the way it should be?
>
> I checked HideInstance in the Configuration Manager and it is set to No
> for both instances.
>
> I also tried flushing the DNS cache, to no avail.
>
> What did I set wrong to make this happen?
>

> Sorry for the cross post, but I didn't get the problem fixed in another
> group.

0
Paul

Money forces incorrect currency on foreign-listed USD funds
Upon entering the symbol for USD-denominated funds listed on foreign (i.e. non-US) exchanges, Money06 mandates the use of the exchange's local currency instead of USD. For example, a UK-listed fund is forced to be entered as GBP-denominated, even though this is not correct. (If you force Money06 to report the fund in USD, it automatically changes the stock symbol's exchange locator from the correct one to "US"... causing the online updates to fail) Money03 allowed the reporting currency to be independent of the exchange's local currency. Is there a way to make Mo...

adding to a combo list
I am trying to create a drop down list in cell D5 in wb1. i want the list created from a column in wb2. i have read in data validation that both workbooks have to be open. is there a another way without having both open? reason i ask: i have 2 workbooks, one for entering data to create estimates and workorders, another workbook for storing data such as customers list, material list, work area list, etc. i do not want users opening and seeing the list workbook. i have been able, with alot of help from this forum, to create forms to add to list wb from data inserted into cells on wb1. but n...

Exchange Server not Responding
Hi, I running Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 Advance Server. It has been working for months but today the exchange server isn't responding. The exchange server doesn't seem to be reponding. I can remote into the Advance server So is there a way to check it the exchange server is set right. I need help quickly. Darric have you looked at the application and system event logs? surely there is something there? are all your Exchange services running? has anything changed on the server at all? "Darric Mitchell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

I need a Excel template for property management
I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the better. this might help. Or, ask someone for custom programming. http://tinyurl.com/6svu2 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B845B7C4-0DAA-40A3-880A-FD0A6F298AFD@microsoft.com... > I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel > that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the >...

Passing XML via linked server

Drop-Down Menus appear abnormal
There are instances when a drop-down menu is selected, the menu is colored solid black where no options are viewable to select. This irregularity occurs from time to time. Any ideas what would cause this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. ...

List first letter upper case
Column B in a spreadsheet has a single word in each cell. Some words begin with an upper case letter, others with a lower case letter. Can someone please tell me a simple way to extract a list of those rows where the word in column B begins with an upper case letter? Enter this in, say, F2: =EXACT(LEFT(B2,1),UPPER(LEFT(B2,1))) Then select column B, use Data/Filter/Advanced filter. Enter F1:F2 in the Criteria range, then click OK. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Bob Frolek" <BobFrolek@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1124215185.498946.49840@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Colum...

Risk management
Hi. I have searched wide and high for a risk management spread sheet to calulate a budget using the principles "proactive management". Anyone with a sugestione? Thanks. Ole ...

Managed Newsgroup access denied
I am unable to access the managed newsgroups since they changed the secure code last week. I have followed the instructions to reregister but I still get the error 'access denied'. Any idea what could be causing this? They have answered one of my questions from last week but I've been unable to get in to see it. Thanks for any help. Tracey D Tracey, email me with your registered GP company name so I can verify, and I will escalate this for you. -Mike -- Micheal LoPatriello Coordinator, Luna Development mlopat@lunadevelopment.com http://www.lunadevelopment.com "T...

Signitures won't appear OL 2003
I have a signiture to appear for one account. When I bring up new mail and switch to that particular account, no signiture. It works on forwards and replies. How do enter a signiture for new mail for an account that isn't my default account? I don't even see the option in the new mail form. Under options I see an entry for email signitures but not to enter the signiture in the mail. ...

CRM Server Requirements
Hi, We are pursuing a prospect that is running NT4.0 and will be upgrading to Win2003. ( and yes we know that we have/should wait til CRM 1.2 before installing CRM) They will run the 'real version' of SQL and Exchange on one box. Even though they are a 'small' company, only 15 users, they aren't going to use SBS. My question is given that the box will be pretty spiffy - P4, 2.5 gighz, dual processors with 3 meg of memory (as prescribed by their infrastructure company) can I install CRM on this same machine? The user guide explains a SBS configuration with up to 25 user...

Office Smart Tag Manager
Good afternoon, I have the following error with Office Smart Tag Manager for Great Plains: Error: Database Connection Problem Possible causes include: This user accounts is not a member of any smart tag groups Bad connection information SQL Server is not running No smart Tag groups configured Please verify and try again. Which the procedure is to solve this error? I already erased all tables and store procedures of database Dynamics already Uninstall the product and I installed it again and the problem persists. that I make? ...

File Cache Manager With SRAM in WINCE 6.0
Hi, I m developing a back-up utility which automatically backs up the transaction data to a permanent storage (NOR flash). Transaction data will be triggered very frequently and existing transaction data files may be modified frequently. Therefore I need a RAM based cache file system along with a permanent storage. My questions are, 1. I m trying to use File Cache Manager to accomplish it. Is this a correct solution? 2. If YES, how can i use my SRAM (not the SDRAM) to store the cached files? (In case of a power fluctuation, SRAM is more reliable than SDRAM, therefore we sele...

User delete attachments on server?
I'm accessing an Exchange 2003 server via Outlook. Is there any way to strip attachments from messages on the server itself, rather than downloading to a folder on the local hard drive and deleting it there? TIA, S As you are asking about server-side actions, probably best to ask in an Exchange group. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, sinister asked: | I'm accessing an Exchange 2003 server via Outlook...

Maintaining an SMTP server
--I am using Exchange Server 2000-- I would like to force all users to submit a username / password before relaying mail through my server. I've given the localhost (127.0.0.1) permission to relay and checked a box that says grant all users that authenticate the right to relay regardless of the list above. However this seems to blocks all users who try and send mail outbound or inbound. What am I missing here? I am also concerned about NDR's. What is a safe way to configure NDR's so that they aren't abused, ( I imagine its possible to spoof sender address to bounce NDR sp...

Global Address Lists
Is there a way to share Global Address Lists between different forests? Here's the situation - I have a Win2K3 AD domain interconnected via an internal router to a different Win2K AD domain. Both domains are under separate forests. The first Exchange organization is Ex2K3 and the other is Ex5.5. All we want is to share the same Global Address List. I've seen some very expensive products by Microsoft of which I'm not interested. Are there any inexpensive implementations? Thanks, JK "JK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way...

manage add-ons
when i turn on IE8 the manage add-ons windows automatically appears. how do i stop this happening Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode: => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons). Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons)...

Integration Manager Greyed Out
What would cause "Integration Manager" (Tools >> Integrate) to be grayed out, but "Run Integration" is available. My guess is a security setting, but I can't find it. What version of GP are you using? I've seen situations where Int Mgr was not available from the menu and I had to put it on the shortcut bar. You can also check dex.ini and verify the line exists: IMPath=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Integration Manager\IM.EXE IMExecPath=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Integration Manager\IMRun.EXE "Jed Perlowin"...

Binding of TACACS Authentication Server with Exchange.
Hello Friends, My company want to bind TACACS+ Server with Exchange server. They what the Exchange Users who are coming from Internet should go to TACACS server for Authentication. Dont have much of Idea how to Bind Exchange Server with TACACS+ Server, and how exchange users will get authenticated by TACACS Server. - Biplab Mistry Maker of that TACACS should provide detailed installation instruction. Biplab Mistry wrote: > Hello Friends, > > My company want to bind TACACS+ Server with Exchange server. They what the > Exchange Users who are coming from Internet should ...

MS Outlook and YahooGroups mailing lists
Yesterday I got a message in a YahooGroups mailing list from a friend -- let's call him Pete. Pete's message began ON BEHALF OF DAVE I immediately wondered why Pete was writing on behalf of Dave. Had Dave's computer crashed? Or, worse, had he been taken ill, had an accident, been kidnapped or arrested? So I asked Pete why he was writing on Dave's behalf, and was Dave OK, and he said he wasn't writing on Dave's behalf at all -- the computer had put that phrase in automatically. He assumed that it was something done by YahooGroups. I'm a member of several Yah...

Business Contact Manager #19
I have installed Office 2003 and Business Contact Manager, but BCM is not starting with Outlook. I have the same product installed in my laptop, which runs Windows XP Home, and it is working fine. It even shows a Menu for BCM. The desktop runs windows XP professional and it is using Exchange Server 5.5 Thanks Try her: http://www.slipstick.com/bcm/bcmfaq.aspx "Lucio" <lucioaurelio@msn.com> wrote in message news:61ca01c3e5db$efec1190$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed Office 2003 and Business Contact Manager, > but BCM is not starting with Outlook. I have the ...

Users Listed in the Managed by Box Are Unable to Manage Groups
Hi, I have multi-domain AD 2000 forest in our organization. Most of DC controllers are Windows 2003 . Our Exchange 2003 server is in the same site as one of Global Catalog servers. Any user including Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins can't change membership of Universal Distribution Groups in Outlook 2002 or 2003. I tried Microsoft knowledgebase articles : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281489/EN-US/ and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319206 but it doesn't help. What can be the problem ? Alex Tager IT admin Eh? Did you follow those articles corre...

Want COM Server
Hi all from Spain, I usually create a coClass that is instantiated many times, every time you call "coCreateInstance" the aplication class and the coClass constructors are called, so a new object is being created. I wander if it's posible to create a "singleton" COM Object, so that the object is not created every time y call for the interface...the reason is that I need an object that maintain in memory some data only 1 time (because the amount of memory needed). do you know if that could be done? regards, Alberto. IrvingWashington wrote: > Hi all from Spain,...

Worksheet management
I'm struggling with worksheet and workbook management. I'm hopeful that someobody has a solution that I can't seem to come up with. I've searched and can't find any mention of this particular issue. I have a workbook with 10 worksheets in it. I have 2 copies of this workbook (one for each of my two clients ;-)). Worksheets 2 through 10 are identical in both workbooks. Worksheet 1 has the "data" for the individual client. The formulas in worksheets 2 through 10 reference the data on worksheet 1, as well as varioious other cells on other worksheets. That is, ...

Can't manage Public Folders (error c1030af1)
Hello, I am in the process of moving Exchange 2003 Standard to a new 2003 server on our domain. I have successfully transferred all of the mailboxes and I'm getting to the point where I have to re-home the offline address book and public system folders to the new server before removing the original server. When I try to access Public Folders in Exchange System Manager on either server, I get this error: The requested operation is forbidden. ID no: c1030af1 Exchange System Manager While searching for this error I came upon this document from Microsoft, which suggests this is a pro...