lock request time out period exceeded, error 1222

Hi All,

"lock request time out period exceeded, error 1222" will appear when I try
to expand the tables list in a remote database in SQL server management
studio express. This is ok because some of the tables are locked. But I want
to onfigure the system to wait forever for this kind of locked table. Any
idea how I can achieve it? I have searched on the Internet that wait forever
is the default setting but it seems it is not.

I have tried to configure the "set lock timeout" configuration to -1
(default) in SQL management studio express options. But the problem persists.
Also, when I use SQL profiler, I noticed a "set lock timeout 10000" always
appear before the query begins. 10000 means system will only wait for ten
seconds. How can I change this number?

George
You want to find out who held the locks on the remote table?
--By applying the filter in the where clause you get the answers to
questions like:

---- What SQL Statement is causing the lock?

--- Which user has executed the SQL statement that's holding the locks?

--- What objects/tables are being locked?

--- What kinds of locks are being held and on which pages, keys, RID's?

SELECT L.request_session_id AS SPID,

DB_NAME(L.resource_database_id) AS DatabaseName,

O.Name AS LockedObjectName,

P.object_id AS LockedObjectId,

L.resource_type AS LockedResource,

L.request_mode AS LockType,

ST.text AS SqlStatementText,

ES.login_name AS LoginName,

ES.host_name AS HostName,

TST.is_user_transaction as IsUserTransaction,

AT.name as TransactionName,

CN.auth_scheme as AuthenticationMethod

FROM sys.dm_tran_locks L

JOIN sys.partitions P ON P.hobt_id = L.resource_associated_entity_id

JOIN sys.objects O ON O.object_id = P.object_id

JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions ES ON ES.session_id = L.request_session_id

JOIN sys.dm_tran_session_transactions TST ON ES.session_id = TST.session_id

JOIN sys.dm_tran_active_transactions AT ON TST.transaction_id =
AT.transaction_id

JOIN sys.dm_exec_connections CN ON CN.session_id = ES.session_id

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(CN.most_recent_sql_handle) AS ST

WHERE resource_database_id = db_id()

ORDER BY L.request_session_id

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> "lock request time out period exceeded, error 1222" will appear when I try
> to expand the tables list in a remote database in SQL server management
> studio express. This is ok because some of the tables are locked. But I
> want
> to onfigure the system to wait forever for this kind of locked table. Any
> idea how I can achieve it? I have searched on the Internet that wait
> forever
> is the default setting but it seems it is not.
>
> I have tried to configure the "set lock timeout" configuration to -1
> (default) in SQL management studio express options. But the problem
> persists.
> Also, when I use SQL profiler, I noticed a "set lock timeout 10000" always
> appear before the query begins. 10000 means system will only wait for ten
> seconds. How can I change this number?

0
Uri
4/26/2010 7:57:43 AM
Thanks.

Actually, I don't want to find out who held the lock. I just want to
configure the wait time to a bigger number. Currently, after about 10
seconds, I will receive the 1222 error.

Any thoughts?

George.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/blocking_p1.aspx

> [...]
>> > try
>> > to expand the tables list in a remote database in SQL server management
>> > studio express. This is ok because some of the tables are locked. But I
>> > want
>> > to onfigure the system to wait forever for this kind of locked table.
>> > Any
>> > idea how I can achieve it? I have searched on the Internet that wait
>> > forever
>> > is the default setting but it seems it is not.
>> >
>> > I have tried to configure the "set lock timeout" configuration to -1
>> > (default) in SQL management studio express options. But the problem
>> > persists.
>> > Also, when I use SQL profiler, I noticed a "set lock timeout 10000"
>> > always
>> > appear before the query begins. 10000 means system will only wait for

0
Uri
4/26/2010 11:23:47 AM
Hi,

Go to tools -> options , then query execution -> sql server -> general in
right hand side tree and then select query time out option to zero (means
unlimited wait, no time out) and also in query execution -> sql server ->
advanced select SET LOCK TIMEOUT to -1 (means unlimited wait, no time out)

Manpreet Singh
http://crazysql.wordpress.com/
MCITP (DBA, Developer) SQL Server 2005
MCTS (MOSS 2007), ITILv3F

"George" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> "lock request time out period exceeded, error 1222" will appear when I try
> to expand the tables list in a remote database in SQL server management
> studio express. This is ok because some of the tables are locked. But I want
> to onfigure the system to wait forever for this kind of locked table. Any
> idea how I can achieve it? I have searched on the Internet that wait forever
> is the default setting but it seems it is not.
>
> I have tried to configure the "set lock timeout" configuration to -1
> (default) in SQL management studio express options. But the problem persists.
> Also, when I use SQL profiler, I noticed a "set lock timeout 10000" always
> appear before the query begins. 10000 means system will only wait for ten
> seconds. How can I change this number?
Manpreet Singh

The OP mentioned that he has already tried  -1 and it has the same result

"Manpreet Singh" <ManpreetSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Go to tools -> options , then query execution -> sql server -> general in
> right hand side tree and then select query time out option to zero (means
> unlimited wait, no time out) and also in query execution -> sql server ->
> advanced select SET LOCK TIMEOUT to -1 (means unlimited wait, no time out)
>

> Manpreet Singh
> http://crazysql.wordpress.com/
> MCITP (DBA, Developer) SQL Server 2005
> MCTS (MOSS 2007), ITILv3F
>

> "George" wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> "lock request time out period exceeded, error 1222" will appear when I
>> try
>> to expand the tables list in a remote database in SQL server management
>> studio express. This is ok because some of the tables are locked. But I
>> want
>> to onfigure the system to wait forever for this kind of locked table. Any
>> idea how I can achieve it? I have searched on the Internet that wait
>> forever
>> is the default setting but it seems it is not.
>>
>> I have tried to configure the "set lock timeout" configuration to -1
>> (default) in SQL management studio express options. But the problem
>> persists.
>> Also, when I use SQL profiler, I noticed a "set lock timeout 10000"
>> always
>> appear before the query begins. 10000 means system will only wait for ten
>> seconds. How can I change this number?

0
Uri
4/27/2010 12:27:19 PM
Thanks for the help. I have already tried setting SET LOCK TIMEOUT to -1. It
did not work. In SQL Profiler, I noticed a set lock timeout 10000 always
appear before opening table list. Where can I configure that?

Uri, if I manually set lock timeout to a bigger number, for example:
99999999, it will work. But after a while, set lock timeout 10000 will appear
again as I monitor in SQL profiler...

Any thoughts?
Unfortunately, I think this value is hard-coded in the app. I suggest you
post a wish at connect to address this.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

> Thanks for the help. I have already tried setting SET LOCK TIMEOUT to -1.
> It
> did not work. In SQL Profiler, I noticed a set lock timeout 10000 always
> appear before opening table list. Where can I configure that?
>
> Uri, if I manually set lock timeout to a bigger number, for example:
> 99999999, it will work. But after a while, set lock timeout 10000 will
> appear
> again as I monitor in SQL profiler...
>
> Any thoughts?

0
Tibor
4/28/2010 9:56:00 AM
George (George@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> Thanks for the help. I have already tried setting SET LOCK TIMEOUT to
> -1. It did not work. In SQL Profiler, I noticed a set lock timeout 10000
> always appear before opening table list. Where can I configure that?

I would guess it is hard-coded. I will have to admit that I don't see the
point with SSMS locking up infinitely if there is uncomitted DDL in the
database.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

Help with time subtraction
This is probably a basic question, but here it is anyway. The 1st cell I want start time, 2nd cell finish time, 3rd cell will be the difference in the first to cells in #hours # minutes, or even decimal hours. | 8:00 AM | 1:30 PM | 5 hrs. 30 min.| Thanks Jeff -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- =cell2 - cell1, formatted as time for hours/minutes view, or =(cell2 - cell1)*24 for decimal hours -- Regards Ken...........

error in http://epm2010/pwa (Unexpected error occured)
I have installed sqlserver 2008 beta , sharepoint portal server 2010 beta and project server 2010 beta and install prerequisties of sharepoint portal 2010 sql server 2010 and sp1 of sql server 2008 and 5 cummulative updates of sqlserver 2008. and site provision has done . but when i open the site on browser . It will raise an error which is : Error : An unexpected error has occurred. Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation. Correlation ID: 56078739-4765-45cb-bcee-493816474e9e I dont know whether some services or what is missing to start. kind...

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

a buttload of 550 SMTP errors
We are experiencing a bunch of problems with outgoing messages on our exchange server. The problem frequently occurs when we send messages to distribution groups that contain people external to our organization, however I believe they occasionally occur when mail is sent directly to the individual. The bounce back messages come from our server (smexec-mail.kpdexech.com in the examples below). They're mostly 550 error variations that seem to indicate a problem with our server's SMTP communication with the recipients mail server. Can anyone offer any suggestions? joe@blat-blat.com on ...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

Error 0x80040116
I get a message "The file ~outlook.pst could not be accessed. Data error (cyclic redunancy check). Upon doing a google search for the solution, it seems I need to run a file called "pst2gb.exe". Does anyone know where to get this file. Or another solution to this.thx. ...

Time calculations?
Does anyone have a recommended link for understanding the Excel 2007 time functions. Here are some of the questions we have: FIRST, it appears that the decimal .99999999 represents 24 hours. Yet cell formatted for time will also display 1.00000000 as 24 hours. So, can the two be used interchangeably or is there a finer difference we have not recognized? Presumably, one of these values will misrepresent accumulations of time as the quantity increases. SECOND, what is the exact decimal representation for 1 hour, 1 minute, or 1 second? Again .00069999 and .0007 appear to represent on...

Eventid 3760 error
I redid my SBS 2008 server today. I haven't done any updates and this is what I'm getting in the event viewer: Log Name: Application Service: Windows Sharepoint Services 3 Event ID: 3760 Level: Error User: N/A OpCode: Logged: 3/3/2010 3:08:15pm Task Category: Database Keywords: Classic Computer: Computername Description: SQL Database 'SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6' on SQL Server instance 'np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query' not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. Cannot open databa...

Script error when tyring to create new crm contact with outlook
I have just installed CRM and web interface works ok, now I started installing outlook client and it wen't ok, only needed to install xml core separately. Everything looked great until I started testing from Outlook client, I made new crm appointment and then I tried to add new contact, I click from button labeled regarding, then from window that opened I have tried to choose account and also contact, error is same, anyway after choosing contact or account I click New... soon new window opens labeled quick create account/contact, then Internet Explorer script error box opens readin...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

Why Am I Getting TheseTwo Linker Errors?
I am getting the following errors from the linker. It happens too many times. It even happens in some of the examples of the book: "Windows With MFC", which I just bought for about $65.00. @@@@@@@@@@@@@ LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "libcd.lib" conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library libcmtd.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main Debug/MFC_TEST.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. @@@@@@@@@@@@@ In patricular, how can I use the /NODEFAULTLIB:library? Where do I place the change? A...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

item stock inquiry error message
when I try to do an item stock inquiry, the following message pops up "An open operation on table 'tcsSYSTB00000_WindowsParams' failed accessing SQL data." when I clink to show more info, this is shown "[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'DAI'." Any idea how to fix this issue? Thanks - That sounds like a Trinity Computer Services table - have you asked them about this? -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Want to use Crystal Reports with GP? http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://ww...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

OWA 2003 Forms Based Auth Not loading, HTTP 500 Error
I had a exchange 2003 on win 2000 Server working fine, I just moved over the mailboxes to a windows 2003. Now I can't seem to get Forms to come up at all. I install a certificate created by the windows 2000 Server. I get all the other screen but once it get's past the, accept certificate screen, I get an internal error, Http 500 Regular login works fine without the certifcate and I believe with as well. Any help on this? ...

Idle user time-out for GP clients
Does anyone know of a way to automatically logout users that have been idle for a certain length of time? We have a 15 user license but occasionally run short for a time. Some users login just to hold their spot and that means other get locked out. I know we can spend more $$ and get more licenses but it would be nicer if we could prevent users from holding sessions open for long periiods who are not actually doing anything. -- Bruce Elniski IT Manager The DoorStore of Alberta Take a look at the Omni Tools available from Rockton software www.rocktonsoftware.com The module within Omn...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Rounding Error #2
Worksheet function =Round(0.965,2) returns 0.97 Using VBA Round(0.965,2) returns 0.96. Why does the VBA function not work properly? On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:36:29 -0700, "Mike" <mcurrie@srjgroup.com> wrote: >Worksheet function =Round(0.965,2) returns 0.97 >Using VBA Round(0.965,2) returns 0.96. >Why does the VBA function not work properly? VBA's round does work properly. It just uses a different rounding method, sometimes called banker's rounding. This is outlined in the MSKB article 225330. Briefly, if the number to the right of your rounding point is '...

Formula error #6
I have a simple calculation C8-C14 that I use to figure my budget difference. It works in all the monthly columns I have set up except for one. I get a result of -1.42109E-13 What could I have done wrong????? Probably nothing. See here for the probable cause: http://cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm Ignore the fact that the page says Excel 97, as you aill also see in the small print it actually applies to all versions of Excel. If you simply format to acctg or some numerical format and a few decimal places of precision, it will appear as 0. Regards Ken...........

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

rpc errors every 10 days
I've got a weird problem. I have and E2k3 server and and E5.5 server in two different sites. Every 10 days I have to reboot the E2k3 server to get mail flowing between them again. Event log shows continuous RPC errors. Restarting Exchange services on either box doesn't fix it, nor does rebooting the E5.5 box; it takes a reboot of the E2k3 box to get everything working again, and mail flows perfectly for 10 days when, like clockwork, the RPC errors start again. Any ideas? I'm going crazy with this one! No KB articles regarding RPC errors seem to apply. Thanks, Scott On W...

Request for Quotation
Can we have new screen for request for qoutation to be integrate and can easly convert to PO. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=29918e08-75bb-496a-bf29-9643a3...

Is there a time sheet template that calculates hours?
I am trying to find a excel based time sheet that calculates hours worked so employees only have to enter time start and time finish. Is there such a thing, or does anyone know a formula to calculate this? Hi Have a look here for timesheet templates http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelLinks/cat/excel-templates-payroll-scheduling-1.html HTH Michael "CTG" wrote: > I am trying to find a excel based time sheet that calculates hours worked so > employees only have to enter time start and time finish. Is there such a > thing, or does anyone know a formula to calculate this? ...