Hi I have a book  "inside SQL Server 2000"  by Kalen Delaney, which I
have been told is a good book.  I am going backwards... reading about
the sql server architecture in chapter 3 of the book.

As I'm reading...  I was wondering is it different SQL Server 2000 vs
SQL Server 2005/2008?  Also
where can I find a book/or link that can give me more details about
the internals on architecture?

Thank you

0
norm

norm (normanchan@gmail.com) writes:
> Hi I have a book  "inside SQL Server 2000"  by Kalen Delaney, which I
> have been told is a good book.  I am going backwards... reading about
> the sql server architecture in chapter 3 of the book.
>
> As I'm reading...  I was wondering is it different SQL Server 2000 vs
> SQL Server 2005/2008?  Also
> where can I find a book/or link that can give me more details about
> the internals on architecture?

Obvioulsly, it would be a good idea to get SQL Server 2008 Internals,
with Kalen as the main authors and several other people contributing.
The SQL 2000 book is still useful, not the least with regards to page
layout, but there are also differences. For instance, SQLOS did not exist
in SQL 2000.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
12/9/2009 11:03:13 PM
On Dec 9, 3:03=A0pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> norm (normanc...@gmail.com) writes:
> > Hi I have a book =A0"inside SQL Server 2000" =A0by Kalen Delaney, which=
> > have been told is a good book. =A0I am going backwards... reading about
> > the sql server architecture in chapter 3 of the book.
>
> > As I'm reading... =A0I was wondering is it different SQL Server 2000 vs
> > SQL Server 2005/2008? =A0Also
> > where can I find a book/or link that can give me more details about
> > the internals on architecture?
>
> Obvioulsly, it would be a good idea to get SQL Server 2008 Internals,
> with Kalen as the main authors and several other people contributing.
> The SQL 2000 book is still useful, not the least with regards to page
> layout, but there are also differences. For instance, SQLOS did not exist
> in SQL 2000.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.msp=

Thanks for the recommedation Erland, I didn't know about the book. I
will place an order on amazon :-)
0
norm

Excel 2000 opens then immediately closes
Running under Vista Home Premium 64. When I open a worksheet/workbook it loads, appears on the screen then immediately closes. Have carried out 'repair', prefer not to un-instal re-install. Help! ...

Publisher 2000 business card setup
What are the settings in 2000 for a business card 3.66" by 2.13" so that the card will fill the screen when it is converted to a pdf? I can created a single image of those dimensions in the center of a letter size sheet but if I try to download that into Overnight Prints website it will not work. The PDF image has to fill the screen in Adobe Reader 6.0 for it to work. You need to setup a custom size in Acrobat. If you have used the *Special Size* in page setup... In Publisher, File, Print Setup, select Adobe PDF, Properties, click Add. Type 3.66 Width, 2.13 height. Give th...

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

Outlook 2000 won't shut down compleletly
Whenever I shut down my office 2000 SR -1 (9.0.0.5414) I get the dialog box that says, "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits." And this never goes away. If I restart it and then exit it again, I then have 2 dialog boxes with the same error msg. The only way I can get them to go away is to end task thru the task manager. Any help on this issue? Hi Robert, please look if you have any Add ins in OL or if you using Word as Editor if there are some Add ins. Most time the Add ins let OL dont quit. You have to uninstall them and look what happened. -- Gestern lief noch al...

exchange 2000 #16
Hello, Today I had some outgoing mail problems and my isp told me to going into my exchange server to change my smtp to there new smtp address. He explained to me he did not no where to go and help me with this. I was wondering were do I go and take care of this process? thanks for your help John In news:CC2E244F-EB13-484B-88A4-6B9BDCA16C3E@microsoft.com, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hello, > > Today I had some outgoing mail problems and my isp told me to going > into my exchange server to change my smtp to there new smtp address. > He explained t...

Report not displaying correctly on a different computer
Hi Not sure what is causing this. I have a quite complex report in Access 2007 that necessitates 53 columns, all next to each other; and with 53 fields in the header showing the date 'vertically' in dd-mmm format. On my Desktop and my Laptop they work fine - the Preview and Print options all show the date clearly. I transferred the DB to a user's laptop - (they've been using an earlier version in 97 and 2003 format for 9 years or so) and the date just shows as #### in everyone of the 53 fields. Thought at first that it was the vertical aspect of the field that was...

Eseutil Worries on Exchange 2000
Hi everyone, I am currently testing an offline defrag of my biggest stores as they have grown well out of shape. Out of 25 stores ranging from 2 to 25Gb in size, I tried the eseutil -d succesfully on more than half. Problem is that on two of them the defrag took only 60-120 secs and it returned a 5Mb .edb and a 6Mb .stm while all mailboxes have disappeared. The command, switch and spelling is the same as in all the others. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I can afford this to happen in an offline test lab but not in the live production E2k boxes. Any help will be appreciated. John...

Computerworld article on Mac Office 2008
Computerworld has a story giving a preview of Mac Office 2008. They have quotes from some key people at Microsoft who were involved in Mac Office 2008's development. The story can be read at this link: http://tinyurl.com/3be8p6 ...

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

sql summarizing help

question about moving mailboxes from 2000 exch to 2003 exchange and mail store size
we are finishing up moving all of our mailboxes from our old exchange 2000 server to our new exchange 2003 server. I was researching the registry change you have to make to enable up to a 75 gig mail store with exchange 2003 sp2. When I look at the registry for our exchange 2003 server I only see the key for the PUBLIC store. The PRIVATE does not appear. is this because we have not moved all of our mailboxes and so have not removed the exchange 2000 server yet? I wasnt going to make the registry change yet, just researching so I can do this when we finished moving the rest of the mai...

Windows 2008 NLB
Hello, I'm just setting up my first NLB in 2008 std. In your experience is it best to setup an NLB in multicast or unicast and is it best if both servers are in their own VLAN? Thanks Hi Whiteford, did you check if NLB over different subnets is supported even configurable ? Why do you need that ? Haven't seen yet an implementation where NLB nodes was on different IP networks. If supported the answer will depend on what you want to run on your NLB cluster. This requirements will normally be defined from the application side. I personally would start here w...

Outlook 2000 error?
Our Microsoft Outlook cannot stay open on the server, it keeps coming up with this error that I cannot find anywhere! It says: Exception: access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x3f99a142 So? Anyone have any earthly idea of what that means and what can be done about it? Thank you! What kind of server? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Pinkitty asked: | Our Microsoft Outlook c...

Access 2000 embedded Excel Pivot Table
I have created an Access reporting module that uses several Excel pivot tables which are embedded in the Access file. There doesn't appear to be any way to determine which table in Access the pivot tables are referenced to. If you right click on the pivot table and select wizard, the area in which the data source would normally appear in an Excel-based pivot table is totally blank. Any suggestions for how to identify the data source for a pivot table that is embedded in an Access 2000 file? Have a look at the property pivot_Table.SourceData "Jeff" wrote: > I have c...

Determine the time difference between two records
I have a report I'd like to generate that will tell me the time between each transaction in the database for a user, and the average time between transactions. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this. The field in the table is called EntryStartTime. What I'd like to do is sort the start times in ascending order, determine the time difference between the first two records, and then continue to the second and third, third and fourth, etc. I have a feeling the answer is probably really simple, but my brain isn't working yet this morning. I'd like to try to avoid ...

Project Server Cube Build Issue
I think I screwed up the install order on the SQL DMO components. According to MSDN: " At this time, do not use the feature packs for SQL Server 2008 to install and download these components, as those files will not allow you to build cubes in SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services with Project Server 2007." However, I didn't read that carefully enough and installed the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects Collection instead of the 2005 version. Now I can't install the 2005 version even if I uninstall the 2008 version. The setup fails with the "highe...

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Missing Mail After Outlook 2000 to 2003 Upgrade
....this is a weird one...perhaps someone can at least tell me if this is even possible!!! I converted a user from Office (and Outlook) 2000 to 2003....this was done because the user had maxed out their PST file at 2GB and was starting to have problems. I didn't realize that converting to 2003 was not enough...and that the actual PST from Outlook 2000 would not resolve the size issue without converting it over to a 2003-friendly version. Anyway, after finally getting it all to work properly (and get past the file size issue), I am being told by the user that some of her mail is mi...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

What are the difference between GetMessage() and PeekMessage()?
in SDK program? Thanks, Rjn > in SDK program? GetMessage essentially waits for any message to be placed in the queue before it returns. On other hadn, PeekMessage function does not wait. That means GetMessage can block until the message appears in the queue. --- Ajay In addition, it is nearly always the case that the use of PeekMessage indicates an architectural failure in the design. There are reasons to use PeekMessage, but most of the time when it is done, it was because the programmer was trying to do some long computation which blocked the GUI thread and is trying to make sur...

Hyperlink problem 2003 to 2002 and 2000
We have multi-sheet workbooks with hyperlinks between worksheets we create in 2003. When we send to a 2000 or 2002 user, they cannot use the hyperlink. Anyone know how to resolve? Save it as a htm? "Bob" wrote: > We have multi-sheet workbooks with hyperlinks between worksheets we create > in 2003. When we send to a 2000 or 2002 user, they cannot use the hyperlink. > Anyone know how to resolve? > > > Saving as an HTM will not help as users share the workbook. The hyperlinks are to move users between worsheets in the workbook. "Bob" <bob@...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...