Disappearing Databases?

Has anyone ever seen the datafiles for a database just disappear?  I saw this
on my development box the other day and just thought I messed something up.
Now, I see it again on another box.   In MSS Mgmt Studio I see the icon for
the database in question, but it will not expand.  I goto to look for the
data and log files and they are gone.   I do know that this server ran out of
space the other day, but that should just prevent the log from growing.
Besides, while the database is active I wouldn't be able to delete the files
for it.   I would need to detach the database first.  Please let me know if
you need more information or had a similiar experience.

Michael

I was wrong the data files were there and the database was just in a corrupt
state.  I took the database offline, played some file moving games and was
able to reattached in a good state.

The first time it happened is still a mystery b/c I do believe the data &
log file were missing.   At least this time I can blame it on filling up the
drive.

"michael" wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen the datafiles for a database just disappear?  I saw this
> on my development box the other day and just thought I messed something up.
> Now, I see it again on another box.   In MSS Mgmt Studio I see the icon for
> the database in question, but it will not expand.  I goto to look for the
> data and log files and they are gone.   I do know that this server ran out of
> space the other day, but that should just prevent the log from growing.
> Besides, while the database is active I wouldn't be able to delete the files
> for it.   I would need to detach the database first.  Please let me know if
> you need more information or had a similiar experience.
>
> Michael
There is a 99.9999999% chance that you were either mistaken, or someone was
messing with you.

Files simply don't disappear.

"michael" <michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever seen the datafiles for a database just disappear?  I saw
> this
> on my development box the other day and just thought I messed something
> up.
> Now, I see it again on another box.   In MSS Mgmt Studio I see the icon
> for
> the database in question, but it will not expand.  I goto to look for the
> data and log files and they are gone.   I do know that this server ran out
> of
> space the other day, but that should just prevent the log from growing.
> Besides, while the database is active I wouldn't be able to delete the
> files
> for it.   I would need to detach the database first.  Please let me know
> if
> you need more information or had a similiar experience.
>
> Michael

0
Jay
2/25/2010 7:57:25 PM
I have seen these kinds of issues when there are network issues to the SAN,
or some other issue on the SAN that caused the LUN to disappear.  If the LUN
is not available for even a very short amount of time, SQL Server will lose
it's connection.  Once lost, it cannot be restored without either
detaching/attaching the database or cycling the service.

> I was wrong the data files were there and the database was just in a
> corrupt
> state.  I took the database offline, played some file moving games and was
> able to reattached in a good state.
>
> The first time it happened is still a mystery b/c I do believe the data &
> log file were missing.   At least this time I can blame it on filling up
> the
> drive.
>
> "michael" wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever seen the datafiles for a database just disappear?  I saw
>> this
>> on my development box the other day and just thought I messed something
>> up.
>> Now, I see it again on another box.   In MSS Mgmt Studio I see the icon
>> for
>> the database in question, but it will not expand.  I goto to look for the
>> data and log files and they are gone.   I do know that this server ran
>> out of
>> space the other day, but that should just prevent the log from growing.
>> Besides, while the database is active I wouldn't be able to delete the
>> files
>> for it.   I would need to detach the database first.  Please let me know
>> if
>> you need more information or had a similiar experience.
>>
>> Michael

0
Jeffrey

Signature logo disappears on reply
I'm finding that with multiple versions of Outlook, a logo used in the signature disappears when included on a reply/forward. Does anyone know a fix for this? Thanks ...

Links to External Database
I have a number of Excel templates that are linked to external databases. Sometimes I need to adapt the database for specific reporting needs -- when I do this I want to retain the old database for other reasons, but would like to make a copy of the database and have the excel template I am working on point to the new database instead of the old database. I know I can move the database's location and then I can re-assign the database, but is there a way to re-link Excel to the database without having to change the location of the database I am linked to? ...

Folders Are Disappearing !
I have several (Outlook 2007) folders and various rules directing certain emails to certain folders. But some of those folders magically disappear and my rules become useless because everything goes into one folder (inbox). Anyone know why this happens, and what to do about it ? The rules would not work if the folders are not there to move the files (emails) into them, so that part is understable. We just need to address why the folders are disappearing and how to prevent it. I need some clarification on where these folders are located. Are they sub-folders of Personal Folder. I hav...

Clone Database via Network?
Hi Can i snapshot mydatabase to network drive as create database mydatabase_snapshot on ( name = mydatabase_data, filename = '\\somepc\sharedfolder\snapshot.ss') as snapshot of mydatabase and then restore from restore database mydatabase from database_snapshot = 'mydatabase_snapshot'. Because snapshot has the highest performance, is there any sample code of cloning a database? Thanks. G.X. No, snapshot files need to be local (and requires NTFS). -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.co...

Contacts Disappearing.
Everytime one of our employees enter a new contact or update a current contact. Some of them disappears or the update does not take place. Thanks I'd first copy them all to a pst so you don't lose anymore. Import them into a test mailbox and see if it has the same issue. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "...

Disappearing Menu Items
I added News to the Go menu of Outlook 2003 as described in the help files. This worked fine for a few days but then it disappeared from the menu list. Even worse it isn't in the Customise options any more so I can't add it again. Now I can only access News groups by starting Outlook Express directly. Anyone know how to add it to the menu items again please? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch...

updater in system tray disappears
Windows XP SP3, IE7 When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install. It starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes back to let me install the updates. -- Even if I reboot. So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates I want. After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can install these updates now. At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updat...

Zeroing out a test database?
We have a client who is about to go live. The problem is he spent severfal hundred hours entering "live" inventory data into his test database. He also went a little overboard with some third party add-ins. ( So, we are looking at either copying over a large number of tables from the test DB to the live DB, or finding a way to wipe all the dummy/test transactions from the test DB. If it were not for the extensive nature of the third party goddness, I'd have no problems with copying over his inventory tables, but because of them, I have to ask if there is a way to clean up ...

using Excel as a database
can someone point me in the right direction here... I would like to have a workbook with, say, 2 sheets. the first would be a form, for a user to enter data into different cells. I would like to be able to have that data then added to a table (database) on the other worksheet. So, for example, if 5 people enter info in the first sheet (one at a time), the table on sheet 2 will have 5 new roes added to it. I'm basically looking to have a very small database setup. Alternatively, I could create a VBA form, and use that for entry, but I'm not sure how to set it up so it adds to the dat...

Mails disappearing.
I tried to move a mail to a folder using "Right Click > Move to folder > OK" without selecting any folders. The default selection was "Personal Folder". Noted that this mail had moved from the inbox. But no idea where the mail has gone. Please help to find those mails. Best Regards Same. Then they are probably in the Outlook Today folder. See here how you can retrieve them; www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mailoutlooktoday.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slip...

CRMbar in Outlook disappears
Hello, On the notebooks of our employees I've installed the Desktop CRM Client. On some of these notebooks after a while, the CRM bar in Outlook disappears. Menu > View > Toolbars > Microsoft CRM is checked, and the only solution that worked for me untill now is to do a Repair from the Client install CD. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Because more and more people are having this problem. Regards, Dirk ...

Contacts Keep Disappearing
For some reason my contacts keep dissappering each time I close Live Mail. I open it back up and the contacts are gone. It was working fine when I first started using it a week ago. Each time I have to import them in from Outlook Express. What gives and is anyone else experiencing this issue? Are you using a Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM ? If so, try importing them via the web UI at contacts.live.com(click Manage, then import) Thereafter use that Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM. If not using a Live ID, you may have encountered a problem ...

Cannot connect to Database Engine
Hello, I had installed SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (as Administrator) recently on my HP Vista Laptop and initially it gave me some errors n then i reinstalled it again and i was able to connect to the Database Engine and all other services. Now, i have another Admin Account by name of ZAKI and i logged in and tried connecting to the Database Engine, and then it started giving me errors like, Named Pipes error 40 etc and later on "cannot connect to database file". Though i was able to connect to the other services. Please note i had installed SQL Server With ...

how can I convert an access 1.x database to access 2002?
I think you have to convert it to Access 2.0 first. Then 2002 should be able to convert it. Ask around, I am sure someone has Access 2.0 installed. -- Joe Fallon Access MVP "linda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07c501c3dd08$3651e740$a401280a@phx.gbl... > ...

Disappearing M driive
I'm running Windows Server 2000 with exchange 5.5 and caome in today and my m drive is no longer showing up. Tried rebooting and still, no m drive. Have cleaned up the rest of the hard drive and have 2 gb of free space. Am I looking at a reload??? Exchange 5.5 doesn't have IFS capabilities so there is no M:\ drive. Sounds like you may have Citrix installed? If this is actually E2K, then check to make sure that the Information store service is started and/or the databases are mounted. -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Importing MS Office Excel Comma Separated Values Files into a MS Access 2003 database

How can I use a command button to back my database in Access 2007 ?
When my database opens, I display a form that acts as a menu for the user to navigate. I want to add a button to this menu that will start a backup of the current database. I want to backup the database to a CD (drive d:) How would I do this? Thanks in advance Mark Hi, I'm not sure if this will help, but assuming you have split your database then you can use the following code. Obviously you will need to add error handling etc.: If Len(Dir$("path to backend database file.mdb")) > 0 Then GoTo DBBU Else MsgBox "The Back-End database 'path to backe...

News disappears
I added News to the "GO" button in Outlook 2003 and logged into the news service. The next time I used Outlook, News was not on the "GO" button and it had also disappeared from the list of add-ons. Where did it go? Can I get it back? Thanks, Turner To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button. You ma...

Prospective Client Tracking Database
I am new to Access 2007 and recently reviewed all the online tutorials on the Microsoft website and reviewed the provided templates (none of which fit my needs). I understand the general concept of tables, forms, queries, reports, etc. and have created tables and attempted to create a form for my data, but am a little unsure about my design and was hoping for some feedback from others that know Access better than I (not hard to accomplish that distinction, btw!). I want to create a prospective client tracking database for a commercial landscape company. I am looking to col...

Why Do 2 Rows Disappear from my DataGridView?
I'm going around circles with this one. In the following code, > clicking the Yes button makes 2 rows disappear from the DataGridView, (which I don't want) but only 1 delete from the underlying db (as desired). > clicking the No button makes 1 row disappear from the DataGridView, (which I don't want) with none deleting from the underlying db (as desired). > clicking the Cancel button has the same effect as clicking the No button. Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? In addition, if anyone knows of a good working sample of code where you can delete all of...

Full Recovery versus Simple database backup
Has anyone experienced any issues/problems with converting the database to Full Recovery mode rather than Simple? I plan on scheduling this for the middle of the night as to not slow down my network, but wondered if there would be any other issues associated with this change. Thanks Adam Hi Adam. You should not see any performance in your network from converting from simple model to full recovery mode. Many will tell you that your transaction logs will not grow in simple recovery, but there is growth. Yet there is a great deal more in Full Recovery mode. Once you make the change,...

Database Update
I have an application where the codings reside in the local machine and the linked tables reside in a remote server. When I generated the exec on my development machine everything works fine. However, when the same exec are generated on other machines, they keep saying run-time error whenever an update query is executed. -- Anthony "Anthony Ching" <AnthonyChing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3EBCB2D7-8539-451B-9A1B-AE58C87B9176@microsoft.com... >I have an application where the codings reside in the local machine and the > linked tables r...

Macro disappears
I have two online students who say that they're able to record a macro (to insert a table) and add a button to the Quick Access bar. They say the macro works OK while they're creating it, and that their security settings are set to enable macros, but that when they open a different document or (one of them says) when pressing the button on the Quick Access bar, they get a message saying that the macro can't be found or has been disable due to security settings. The one who can't use the button on the Quick Access bar is able to use his keyboard shortcut keys at th...

textbox scrollbar disappears
Hi i have a textbox in my sheet. i use the multiline option and the scrollbars option for that textbox. when i enter text to the textbox, everything is fine (i can see the scrollbar) but if i close the sheet and open it again, the scrollbar for that textbox disappears (so i can't tell that there are more lines in that textbox than what i can see...) only when i click in the textbox - the scrollbar reappears... did anyone see that ? is there a way to show the scrollbar when opening the file ? thanks, Yaniv You have one commiserating post in .excel. Yaniv wrote: > > Hi > ...

how do i write case statement in access database?
Ragu, More info please. Look at a post (and replys) just before yours titled "Transforming an IF...Then to Case...When" from "Michiel via AccessMonster.com" just about 1 hour before yours (shows up as 10:07 AM my time (Arizona Time...no daylight savings)). Your post shows as 11:11 AM. HTH, Conan "ragu" <ragu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D222F84-2FC9-4E93-A826-8E7C6AE1F74E@microsoft.com... > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:11:06 -0700, ragu <ragu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: You don't. Case is not supported i...