Debugging SQL Server 2005 Transact SQL

I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005
and I have a couple of questions.
1. Are there any *free* programs that will allow me to debug (step
through line-by-line, look at cursor results, variables, etc).
2. If the answer is 'no' and Visual Studio is the least expensive
alternative, which versions are compatible and have debugging
capability?
Thank you very much in advance.
0
allanc

allanc (allan.for.g.groups@gmail.com) writes:
> I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005
> and I have a couple of questions.
> 1. Are there any *free* programs that will allow me to debug (step
> through line-by-line, look at cursor results, variables, etc).

Not that I know.

> 2. If the answer is 'no' and Visual Studio is the least expensive
> alternative, which versions are compatible and have debugging
> capability?

VS 2005 and on.

I know that Kevin Boles talked about about Apex releasing a debug
product which would rock the world. I never checked it, but maybe
it's a cheaper deal than VS.

Then again, my personal experience is that you lose more time with
SQL debuggers than you gain. I don't know much time I spent with
getting debugging to work with SQL 6.5 and SQL 2000, until I finally
said "enough is enough!". Today I do all my SQL debuging with PRINT
and SELECT statements (and sometimes Profiler).

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
6/16/2010 9:37:39 PM
On Jun 16, 5:37=A0pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> allanc (allan.for.g.gro...@gmail.com) writes:
> > I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005
> > and I have a couple of questions.
> > 1. Are there any *free* programs that will allow me to debug (step
> > through line-by-line, look at cursor results, variables, etc).
>
> Not that I know.
>
> > 2. If the answer is 'no' and Visual Studio is the least expensive
> > alternative, which versions are compatible and have debugging
> > capability?
>
> VS 2005 and on.
>
> I know that Kevin Boles talked about about Apex releasing a debug
> product which would rock the world. I never checked it, but maybe
> it's a cheaper deal than VS.
>
> Then again, my personal experience is that you lose more time with
> SQL debuggers than you gain. I don't know much time I spent with
> getting debugging to work with SQL 6.5 and SQL 2000, until I finally
> said "enough is enough!". Today I do all my SQL debuging with PRINT
> and SELECT statements (and sometimes Profiler).
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.msp=

I read somewhere that Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office will provide
the debugging tools for Transact-SQL.
This appears to be much less expensive than Visual Studio 2005
Professional.
Have I taken something out of context in terms of the 'Tools for
Office'?

0
allanc
6/17/2010 1:55:07 AM
allanc (allan.for.g.groups@gmail.com) writes:
> I read somewhere that Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office will provide
> the debugging tools for Transact-SQL.
> This appears to be much less expensive than Visual Studio 2005
> Professional.
> Have I taken something out of context in terms of the 'Tools for
> Office'?

No idea. I would suggest that this is a question better asked in a
forum for Visual Studio.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

sbs 2008 prem and SQL on one server
Hi Is it possible to install SBS 2008 premium and also SQL on the same server?? is's a small network (5 users) but one programm is used by 1 person and sometimes 2. It's now running on a sbs 2003 and sql, and works ok. it is not a heavy programm. are there any issues to look out for? hope that anyone can give an answer with this info. regards marc I strongly recommend against it. The SQL engine is already used on the SBS server to power features behind the scenes. Done improperly and you break that integration. At best, you are taxing the resources of the server....

Move Exchange server
Can someone point me to a KB article that covers the steps that need to be taken to move an exchange server to a different OU. I understand that the System Attendant service must be restarted. Unless I have microsoft documentation stating that it's O.K. to move the OU, I won't be able to do it. Thank you! On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:58:07 -0700, "Exchange help" <Exchangehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can someone point me to a KB article that covers the steps that need to be >taken to move an exchange server to a different OU. I understand that the &...

Access to SQL Server
What the best known way of converting Access 97 applications to SQL Server? I've heard that the upsizing wizard is not the best method. Is this true? If it is or is not, what is the the recommended best way with the least head aches of doing the this SQL Server upgrade/conversion? Thanks,..... > What the best known way of converting Access 97 > applications to SQL Server? I've heard that the upsizing > wizard is not the best method. Is this true? If it is or The Access 97 upsizing wizard can't connect to SQL Server 2000. The (patched) Access 2000 upsizing wizard t...

Debug Assertion Faild
Debug Assertion Fail Program: C:..... File: winocc.cp Line: 22 The exception Breakpoin A breakpoint has been reache (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x5f4369c This program is to scan a file and look for a matching string. Could this error be caused by code not exiting a "break;" properly? I'm not sure how to explore resolving this. The information listed in the Debug is The thread 0x3DD8 has exited with code 0 (0x0) The thread 0x3EA8 has exited with code -2147483645 (0x80000003) The program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Dads\Programmi...

SQL Update
Hi Guys, I am converting a access application over to a SQL BE setup and am having to convert a number of update queries, I previously had a query to update product prices and now need to convert to SQL to replace the query, and have written the code but cannot figure out why its no working, can anyone help please? This is my code: Private Sub cmdUpdate_Click() Dim rsProducts As DAO.Recordset Dim rsPrices As DAO.Recordset Dim strSQLPR As String Dim strSQLCP As String Set rsProducts = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("products", dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges) ...

Setting entourage for 2 email servers
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop in Mac Mail my office server provider was recognized on start up. When i work of of my home Mac Mail recognized that i had a deferent server co for out going mail and if one server did not work it automatically tried the other. Now with Entourage it has a setting for my office but i am unable to send email from my home. How can i set up for both? thank you. On 3/12/10 1:03 PM, Tim_McLean@officeformac.com wrote: > in Mac Mail my office server provider was recognized on start up. > When i work of of my...

How to determine who has server and client rules in their mailboxe
Can any one point me to the direction on how to determine who has server or client side rules in their respective mailboxes? OR how to determine who has rules Any help is much appreciated. Thanks On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:26:02 -0700, Hasher <Hasher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can any one point me to the direction on how to determine who has server or >client side rules in their respective mailboxes? > >OR how to determine who has rules > >Any help is much appreciated. Thanks > You can turn up diag logging in ESM for rules under the IS and when they fi...

Unable to download templates_says server is down_for 3 days?
Unable to download Microsoft templates!!! For days! Please help -- SherBear412004 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d4d14ea5-53dd-4c0f-971c-6d4d71884450&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc ...

DEBUG
Curious, new problem has started. Evey once in a whle a new folder appears on my desktop labeled "debug"..The folder is empty and I do not know how it is formed or why..Does someone know the cause of this and a remedy so it does not appear again Thanks Running Xp professtional heshie wrote: > Curious, new problem has started. Evey once in a whle a new folder appears on > my desktop labeled "debug"..The folder is empty and I do not know how it is > formed or why..Does someone know the cause of this and a remedy so it does > not appear again &g...

PGO in VS 2005 beta 2
hello I'm trying to use the new Profile Guided Optiomization in Visual Stduio 2005, compiling the default wizard generated MFC application. when choosing in the settings: Whole Program Optimization = Profile Guided Optimization - Instrument I get a link time error saying: c:\projects\ms2005test\ms2005test\ms2005test\ms2005testView.cpp : fatal error C1350: error loading dll 'pgodb80.dll': dll not found LINK : fatal error LNK1257: code generation failed does any one know how to fix this? thanks in advance Shy >I'm trying to use the new Profile Guided Optiomization in V...

Subject: POS (not RMS) Dropping CC Transactions During Settlement
We are using Microsoft POS and have our credit card transactions settled via the POS Vital feature over our broadband connection. After reconciling the credit/debit card settlement reports with our Merchant Services statements, we see on each day's report a modest number of transactions failing to settle; these transactions indicate a Batch Status of "Connection Error." Sometimes a reattempt to settle the transaction follows in the report, which can be successful. But too often there is no successful reattempt and the transaction is skipped and never settled. This mea...

SQL Server 2008 R2/Remote BLOB Storage/SharePoint 2010
We're looking into implementing SharePoint 2010 with a SQL Server 2008 R2 backend. We were also interested in using the RBS addon to get our files out of the database. We were hoping to place these files on a file server seperate from the SQL Server. In reading the docs, I have found where it says "To run RBS on a remote server, you must be running SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition". My question is, can I run SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, have RBS running on the local SQL server, but have the BLOB data stored on a remote file share using either a mapped d...

Database tables from other SQL DBS not showing in smartlist builder
I am having problems with smartlist builder in that I can list the other SQL DBS but when I select one non of the tables or views show. Thanks rob Rob, You will need to make sure you grant security to the DYNGRP sql group. The same GRANT.SQL utility script will do. Best regards, MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "rob.paddock@sundaysolutions.net" wrote: > I am having problems with smartlist builder in that I can list the > other SQL DBS but when I select one non of the tables or views show. > > Th...

Adding NAT between Internet Gateway and Exchange Server
My current Exchange Server 2003 SP2 installation enjoys a direct internet routable IP. If I insert a NAT router between the server and my gateway router what might be some consequences, if any, that I'll see with OUTGOING mail? Other than pinholes in the router and changes to the TCP/IP properties of the WAN connection on the server I'm not seeing any problems, and I can't believe that. -- Mike H On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:28:39 -0700, Mike H <mkREMOVEhuskeyALL@THIShotmail.invalid> wrote: >My current Exchange Server 2003 SP2 installation enjoys a direct >internet routa...

An application crashes only under debugging
Hi, I'm using VC++ 6.0. I have a Win32 Application (I will call it "EXE") which is linked with a Win32 DLL and I don't have the source files of the DLL; When I execute the EXE by double-clicking on the icon reprsenting it , there are no problems; On the contrary, if I try to debug the EXE the program crashes: in fact, the debugger shows an "Access Violation" error message and informs that an istruction of the DLL attempts to read a memory location which cannot be read. Does someone know a possible cause of this problem? Thanks. M If the DLL is an MFC DLL (it is...

Money 2005 Slowness on Accept Fix
After some research I was able to find this fix I thought I would share. Problem: Money 2005 (and 2004 I *think*) take ~10secs to process after you accept a transaction. Solution: Ensure Cash Flow and Favorite Catagories (aka thermometers) are not on your home page. Budget Summary may also cause slowness. I tested this in 2005 but beleive it will work in 2004. Restarting program after you remove items from your home page is required in order to see the speed increase. Sure would be nice if MS would fix this or at least post a decent troubleshooting guide were it could be easily f...

Windows Mail- Delete it from Server
I have been using "Delete it from Server" option in Windows Mail Rules successfully for a number of years now until recently. The I noticed i began receiving mails that I have defined to be deleted from server. To further this, I used another email address defining the emails from this address to be deleted from server but the emails still come through. Can anyone enlighten and help me on this? I am using Vista Home Basic and updated to the most current. The mail program is the Windows Mail. "rbernal43" <rbernal43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

SQL Instruction #2
Dear all, When I use a sql instruction, I only known to bring data from a table in ms access. SSQL =3D "SELECT * FROM expenses"... It=B4s possible that I have in ms access a consult, and I bring the data with the data of the consult? Firstly I run the consult and after I bring the data? How can I do this? Thanks!!! Andr=E9. ...

access 2007 form sql subform
When i use a database with linked table on sql 2005, each time i open a form with subform, access load all the record before showing the form. If the table has many records, it's taking a long time (30 seconds) before loading the form (a table with 30000 records and 100 fields). With access 2, 95, 97, 2000, 2003, it worked fine. Only a few pages of data on opening Guy Instead of binding the entire recordset (table) to the form, and the entire recordset (table) to the subform, consider using something, say, like an unbound combobox in the header of the main form to allow selection ...

Problems Connecting Outlook To Exchange Server
Hi. Our site has recently upgraded to using Office 2003 on Windows XP and we connect to Exchange 2003. I have run into a couple of instances where the Outlook client will not connect to the Exchange server and Outlook reports "Your Exchange server is unavailable". This problem appears to be profile related and not a DNS error. Until recently, all of the users at my site were using peer-to-peer networking. A few weeks ago, we started upgrading people to the domain model. The Exchange connectivity problem occurs with people who have not yet moved into the domain and are trying to...

Weird: CRichEditCtrl scrollbars work in debug build but not in release build
Hi, I have an App Wizard project (VS 6.0), non doc-view architecture. My view class is: class CRichTextView : public CRichEditCtrl. In MainFrm.cpp I have a member variable of: CRichTextView m_wndView;. I create the view as follows: if (!m_wndView.Create(WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | ES_AUTOVSCROLL | ES_MULTILINE | WS_VSCROLL, CRect(0,0,0,0), this, AFX_IDW_PANE_FIRST)) { TRACE0("Failed to create view window\n"); return -1; } It works "just peachy" in the debug build. But, when I make...

migration to sql 2005
Hello, We have GP 8.0 and are wondering if we can migrate to sql 2005. We ran upgrade advisor and saw a couple of errors about how GP is using non-documented sprocs. Will this be resolved? Thanks in advance. Jake I have been testing version 8 with SQL Server 2005 for six months now with no difficulty. I cant see there being too much of an issue. We use a large number of third party add-ons and haven't had any issues with any of those either. Although I understand your cautious stance, we are confident with our testing and we will be recommending that our entire client base ...

get SQL Server text data type into Excel pivot table
Is it possible to get the full text of SQL Server TEXT data types into Excel pivot tables? SQL Server 7 and Excel 2002 SP3 I have a table that has "text" data type column. I have an ODBC connection to the database. I go to Excel's PivotTable Wizard and select the ODBC data source, and then the table and columns, but I only get a max of 253 characters in my pivot table for the text type column (I know it's being truncated). I've found some VB code to get CLOB data from various DB types but I still don't know if it's possible to get that into my pivot ta...

64 Bit Exchange Server
I am writing to see if anyone has experienced any problems running the 64 bit exchange server on the 64 bit Windows 2003 Server Enterprise? If so, what kind of problems have you had? Do you think it is worth the extra money to use the 64 bit versions? Thanks, John On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:52:38 -0400, "jweldin" <jweldin@radicalsupport.com> wrote: >I am writing to see if anyone has experienced any problems running the 64 >bit exchange server on the 64 bit Windows 2003 Server Enterprise? If so, >what kind of problems have you had? Do you think it is worth the e...

Access97 to SQL
We are a large not for profit organization serving the needy. We have a large access applicaiton which is tied to 2 servers for the mdb data. We are taking one serve to sql. The other will still have some of the data mdb's. I need to convert the applications it to use the mdb's on one and sql on the other. Do I convert to ADO first? or do I take this to ADO.net? Is there a place I can get help? Thank you for any and all help. Data can be placed into SQLServer (or any other database eg Oracle) whilst retaining MS-Access as the front-end application. It's perfectly standard ...