Database Mirroring and Insert Statement

In SQL Server 2005, in Dev environment, the application takes 10-15 minutes
to insert 129,000 records but in prod it takes 2 hours. Dev is not set up for
database mirroring but prod is set up for database mirroring. The database is
identical and server hardware in prod is better. There is no other activity
happening in prod. during that time. What could be the possible reasons.

>The database is
> identical and server hardware in prod is better.

"Better" is a relative term. I frequently see installation where a test or
dev environment has one single disk and a prod environment has a SAN,
possibly with a RAID level which isn't ideal for lots of writes, which is
also shared by other systems.

But of course mirroring also adds overhead. Each log write need to be done
at both ends. If you run sync/full safety (default and only option in
standard edition), then a commit (log write) is synchronous with even more
waiting time. SQL 2008 has compression of log records as optimization. I
would first evaluate hw and network options and then evaluate whether you
can go async and finally consider if 2008 log compression will help.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

"Fraz" <Fraz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In SQL Server 2005, in Dev environment, the application takes 10-15
> minutes
> to insert 129,000 records but in prod it takes 2 hours. Dev is not set up
> for
> database mirroring but prod is set up for database mirroring. The database
> is
> identical and server hardware in prod is better. There is no other
> activity
> happening in prod. during that time. What could be the possible reasons.

0
Tibor

sum value then insert row
How can I make for loop? the conditions are: if total value column height = 5 and column Article = "bike" then copy second row to row 6 (therefore 1 row added between file 5 and 6) thanks for your response ...

Nothing shows up in Database objects in Database Wizard
Hello, I am having touble with Visio 2003 once again. Though the db wizard, I created an excel spreadsheet (table) for data and am tryinig to link the chart back to this original database so that when I change something in the database it will change correspondingly. I am going back through the DB wizard, and can only get as far as selecting a database object to connect to. I have selected the original dada source, checked table, but nothing showes up under the database objects. Am I or my computer missing something? Please help! Thank You. Have you defined a name for the region ...

Access Database Conversion to Excel Database
I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. Hi Greg One way Use Data>Import External Data in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b0f301c3ec2b$2b12d830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format > to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. ...

Statements and mailing labels
I've just moved all of our cusotmer accounts out of Quickbooks and into RMS, and closed our month. SO far, not to bad, but - When I print statements, I cannot figure out whether these are designed for a window envelope or not. I cannot find one that fits with the default layout. Are there options on the statement layout to fit standard envelopes, or does my local stationers just not carry the right envelope? So, to try and mail out the statements, I ran the mailing labels that are within Crystal Reports, and they do not line up with a standard Avery label. They are extremely cl...

Inserting static date AND time
I've found that you can insert either a static date using [Ctrl] + [:;] or a static time using [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [:;] Is there a way to enter a static date and time without adding the two together? Thanks in advance, Barb Reinhardt Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but playing around with your example I found that you can combine them. Add the date, press the spacebar, and then add the time--Excel recognizes this as a date / time value. HTH--Lonnie M. Barb Macro OK? Sub NOWTIME() ActiveCell.Value = Format(Now(), "dd-mm-yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM...

Huge database
Good afternoon, i have to make a huge database wich have to get data from excel file.That is not a big problem problem is that i have to get information for about 1000 families with 1000 elements for every family and this database have to storage this information at leaset one year. This make a huge pack of elements. Can Microsoft Access get so huge pack of data ? If yes i would be glad to read some ideas. Thanks If you are talking about 1000 columns in a table, Access can't do it. 255 is the upper limit. 1,000 * 1,000 is potentially a million records. However if the data is pr...

linking 2 databases in 1
Hi, I am running 2 hqs for 2 different purposes, now the company decided to use 1 hq for both purpose. How can i link the 2 databases into 1 database???? I tired to link them from SQL server enterprise manager-all task- export data from database A to B but some tables can not be exported and show me tables failure, is it possible to link them or im just trying something impossible? Advice me on that plZzzzZZzz -- Aliko ...

Importing Current Database into CRM Database
Hi, I would just like to know if it is possible to tranfer my current database into the Adventure Works Database(and if so how) or is it used just for a few records for testing purposes. You help will be highly appreciated... there is a redeployment tool on support.microsoft.com/downloads under microsoft crm. This may help you. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Rock619" <rodger@intervigil.com> wrote in message news:5728edd40161d2cca1c0e079cfd86665@localhost.talkaboutsoftware.com... > Hi, > > I would just like to know if it is pos...

How do I continue a formula in an inserted row?

how to start a database
hi guys, i want to start a database on excel 2000, i never had to do this before, and i know this can be done. i just dont know where to start from ! what i want to do is, it is a racing club, i want a listing of all pilot and a sheet where we can enter the number of the car(all pilot info need will be transfer) for final result of the race.(right now they enter the car no, name , city at every race at every registration, if he is register to 3 race they do the process 3 time.) like in access went we create the database and after the query, that what i want to do in excel. any tip or link...

Use Identity in Insert Trigger
Is it possible to know the Identity value of a record when processing an INSERT trigger? If so, can someone give me an example? Thanks. -- David Hi David During the trigger processing, the new row has already been inserted, so you can just either select from the underlying table, or select from the special INSERTED table to see the identity value. Or, if you haven't done any other INSERTs into identity columns, you can just select the @@IDENTITY function. Here's a very simple example: use tempdb; go create table t1 (a int identity, b varchar(25)); go cre...

Database Queries with database views, that base on many database t
I created 2 database views. Each of them uses 256 database tables. From every database table only one column is used in the select list of the view. Every database table has one column which is used for the join. Each database table has 5 rows. The database tables have not any foreign keys and indexes. Both views works fine. When I use the database views in a query like this: SELECT v1.*, v2.* FROM v1, v2 WHERE v1.id=v2.id I should get 5 rows with 512 columns in the resultset. But I get the following error from the SQL-Server (after about 5 minutes): Msg 8621, Level 17, State 2...

Use query from another database
Hi In the code below is there a way that qryOrderHistory could be in a separate database. If so how would i refer to it in the code. Thanks Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qd As DAO.Querydef Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set db = CurrentDb Set qd = db.QueryDefs("qryOrderHistory") qd.Parameters("prmCustNo") = lngCustNo Set rs = qd.OpenRecordset() If Not rs.Eof Then .... code to populate an excel spreadsheet Change your 'Set db = CurrentDb' line to something like the following .. Set db = DbEngine.OpenDatabase("full path and name of target MDB here") -- ...

insert password protected spreadsheet
I want to insert an excel worksheet into another excel worksheet with the inserted worksheet password protected. When I attempt to insert a password protected worksheet, it asks for my password and then inserts the worksheet without the password. Every time you reply to excel with a password, you are either unprotecting or protecting. so once you unprotected it to insert it, you have to protect it again if you want it protected. "RZT27Y" wrote: > I want to insert an excel worksheet into another excel worksheet with the > inserted worksheet password protected. When I...

Impact of changing database column width?
Hi, We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in table SOP10201. Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of GP where the license keys must still exist with...

Set Database in Excel
In Microsoft article 183446 under method 2, it refers to using "Set Database" on the Data menu. I am using Excel 2002 (the article says it applies to Excel 2002), but Set Database does not appear in my Data menu. Is this an error? It's an error due, I think, to very old menu structures. The article says that the information applies to everything from version 5.0 (1995) through 2003, inclusive. But I believe that the Set Database menu item disappeared from the Data menu as of Excel 97. And one has long defined a name using the Insert menu, not the Formula menu. But my rapidl...

upgraded from MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2005 now database's users have
Hello. I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's users have no login names. I found a way to list orphaned users sp_change_users_login 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are actually five listed with MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I tried this sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get the following error the user name 'RPS' is absent or invalid. Any ideas? Try with Auto_Fix instead; see the example at the end of the following article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/...

insert picture from scanner
when I insert a picture from my scanner, it may work once or twice, then I get a dialog box that this feature is not installed, which I can't install because I am asked for a file (data2.msi) that supposedly is on my Office 2000 disk 2 but apparently isn't (neither windows nor my manual serach can find it) Why not scan the image in first, do whatever editing may need done in a graphics program, and then insert the picture? This is the way I always do it and it works fine for me. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "danishgary" <danishgary@discussions.micr...

Client access problem after databases restoration
Hello! Recently we had a problem with an Exchange 2003 Back-End server with 6 mailbox store distributed thru 4 SG, and we lost the databases because the SAN's disks partitions were deleted by mistake. So, we had to do a restore from a backup, but when we could not mount the stores, so we used eseutil /p command, and after, eseutil /d, and then isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests. We could mount the stores, users can use email. The problem now is that we have some users that could not access their mailbox thru Outlook, and when we try to move to another store, we receive an ...

FRx YTD Summary statements
I have 5 divisions in one company. Using the reporting tree, I have a one summary page report for each division, plus a one summary page report of the 5 divisions accumulated under one total column. My problem is the one page report. It accumulates the 5 divisions under the one total column, and what I want is a one page report with one YTD column for each division, plus the total column - a total of 6 columns; how do I do that? JD Create a column report with a desc. column plus 6 others. For 5 of the 6 columns the G/L type would be the same but for each use the account filter to...

database or other software?
I need help with the following situation: I want to create files or a database that will contain information about my clients, with their business information (i.e address, phone, fax, type of business, in which states they do business) to send an invitation to bid on a construction project. I want , where a database would fill out the information automatically on the bid invitation, then fax, or email the invitation to each selected clients according to their specialty. Then I will need to keep track of who answers my invitations in order to "weed out" clients who do...

Form in another database
How can I check if an Access form is open or loaded when the form is in another Access application (mdb or nde file). Alex ...

Attendance Database Setup
I am creating an attendance database for my company. There are 19 different departments in the company and each manager tallies his/her own employee attendances. I had a spreadsheet set up, but it wasn't on a rolling calendar basis. Then, I was going to have the managers delete old months, but that would most likely mess with the formulas. So the new spreadsheet needs to be on a rolling calendar basis, so that when a new month comes up, the previous month from last year will drop off in calculations. My file has three worksheets, one titled "Summary", one titled "Detail...

a problem with If/Vlookup statement
Hi, I always encountered this problem in vlookup such that when there is a duplicate PartNumber in the lookup column A (but with different unit costs in column C), it always vlookup for the first unit cost it comes across. I demonstrate an example below. What formula to use if Vlookup comes across duplicate PartNumbers and let it returns the maximum unit cost ? (eg. vlookup partNumber 25557A to return the max unit cost $0.82 in stead of the first value $0.45) Thanks so much in advance ! ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC PartNumber Use-in-Product Unit Cost$ 24555A Speak...

Nested IF-statements
Hi group, Sinve years I use nested IF-statements in Excel. But I have always had this suspicion that I go about building them in the wrong way. Generally I use the function wizard. First of all I want to take out all zeros that would indicate an empty cell, before I get into any serious stuff. Doing that I kind of do it backwards, including a lot of copying and pasting, using notepad as a scratchbook, eventually arriving at something like this =IF(AL7=1;"";IF(AA7>0;IF(B7="L";AA7;IF(B7="S";AA7;""));"")) I wish the wizard for IF-statements...