database integrity checks failing

Hello:

We have two database integrity checks jobs in SQL 2005 that are failing.
One job is for our financial app databases, while the other is for the SQL
system databases.

I know how to conduct the typical fix for the financial app databases--run
DBCC CHECKDB to find the questionable tables that require the DBCC
UPDATEUSAGE script run against those tables.

But, it concerns me that the database integrity job against the system
databases is failing.  Regardless, can I safely run the same DBCC CHECKDB and
DBCC UPDATEUSAGE scripts to eliminate the issues causing the system database
job to fail?

SQL Programmer (it's just a name)

SQL Programmer (SQLProgrammer@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> We have two database integrity checks jobs in SQL 2005 that are failing.
> One job is for our financial app databases, while the other is for the SQL
> system databases.
>
> I know how to conduct the typical fix for the financial app databases--run
> DBCC CHECKDB to find the questionable tables that require the DBCC
> UPDATEUSAGE script run against those tables.
>
> But, it concerns me that the database integrity job against the system
> databases is failing.  Regardless, can I safely run the same DBCC
> CHECKDB and DBCC UPDATEUSAGE scripts to eliminate the issues causing the
> system database job to fail?

I have never heard of DBCC UPDATEUSAGE being good for fixing integrity
errors, but maybe that is something I've missed.

What error messages do you get from DBCC CHECKDB?

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
7/14/2010 10:15:14 PM
Update:

I looked in the SQL logs and they say Failed: (0) Alter failed for server
‘ComputerName\\InstanceName’.

According to research that I did, the following needs to be run in SQL:

sp_configure 'allow updates', 0
reconfigure with override
go
--and possibly:
sp_configure 'awe enabled', 0
RECONFIGURE
GO

Is this correct?  And, if turning off allow updates is the answer, what’s
the reason for having allow updates anyway?  I don’t recall ever turning that
option on.

This is 64-bit, by the way.

"Erland Sommarskog" wrote:

> SQL Programmer (SQLProgrammer@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> > We have two database integrity checks jobs in SQL 2005 that are failing.
> > One job is for our financial app databases, while the other is for the SQL
> > system databases.
> >
> > I know how to conduct the typical fix for the financial app databases--run
> > DBCC CHECKDB to find the questionable tables that require the DBCC
> > UPDATEUSAGE script run against those tables.
> >
> > But, it concerns me that the database integrity job against the system
> > databases is failing.  Regardless, can I safely run the same DBCC
> > CHECKDB and DBCC UPDATEUSAGE scripts to eliminate the issues causing the
> > system database job to fail?
>
> I have never heard of DBCC UPDATEUSAGE being good for fixing integrity
> errors, but maybe that is something I've missed.
>
> What error messages do you get from DBCC CHECKDB?
>

> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx
>
> .

SQL Programmer (SQLProgrammer@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> Update:
>
> I looked in the SQL logs and they say Failed: (0) Alter failed for server
> �ComputerName\\InstanceName�.
>
> According to research that I did, the following needs to be run in SQL:
>
> sp_configure 'allow updates', 0
> reconfigure with override
> go
> --and possibly:
> sp_configure 'awe enabled', 0
> RECONFIGURE
> GO
>
> Is this correct?  And, if turning off allow updates is the answer,
> what�s the reason for having allow updates anyway?  I don�t recall ever
> turning that option on.

'Allow updates' should definitely be 0. There are extreme situations
where you want to update the system catalog directly, in which case
you set it to 1 for the occasion.

'awe enabled' is, if I remember correctly, a no-op on 64-bit SQL Server.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

Nothing shows up in Database objects in Database Wizard
Hello, I am having touble with Visio 2003 once again. Though the db wizard, I created an excel spreadsheet (table) for data and am tryinig to link the chart back to this original database so that when I change something in the database it will change correspondingly. I am going back through the DB wizard, and can only get as far as selecting a database object to connect to. I have selected the original dada source, checked table, but nothing showes up under the database objects. Am I or my computer missing something? Please help! Thank You. Have you defined a name for the region ...

Access Database Conversion to Excel Database
I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. Hi Greg One way Use Data>Import External Data in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b0f301c3ec2b$2b12d830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format > to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. ...

How to make check box for select specific field form table?
Greeting, I would like to create a form that able the user to select fields using check box and allows it to print the specified fields. For example, I have Student table and it has the following fields: First name Mid name Last name Age Group No. ….. Suppose that a user wants to display or print only first name, last name and group no. How can I do that please??? Should I use a query or form or what?? Many thanks You will need to be comfortable writing VBA code to achieve this. Design the report so it has all the fields you could wish to display. Design the form where the user selec...

Huge database
Good afternoon, i have to make a huge database wich have to get data from excel file.That is not a big problem problem is that i have to get information for about 1000 families with 1000 elements for every family and this database have to storage this information at leaset one year. This make a huge pack of elements. Can Microsoft Access get so huge pack of data ? If yes i would be glad to read some ideas. Thanks If you are talking about 1000 columns in a table, Access can't do it. 255 is the upper limit. 1,000 * 1,000 is potentially a million records. However if the data is pr...

Integration Manager 9.0 error
Hi all, I receive the following error when i try to create a new integration in IM Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface Time: 3/23/2007 1:34:00 PM Source: IntegrationManager Message: Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface Number: 430 Call Stack: BrowserControl.DisplayLHS BrowserControl.RefreshBrowser frmAddSourceAndDest.ILookupManager_GetDisplayName MenuAction.IntegrationAddDestination MainMod.TimerCallbackMenFunction Does anyone know what this error is or how to fix it? Thanks, Thanks for the reponse David, How...

linking 2 databases in 1
Hi, I am running 2 hqs for 2 different purposes, now the company decided to use 1 hq for both purpose. How can i link the 2 databases into 1 database???? I tired to link them from SQL server enterprise manager-all task- export data from database A to B but some tables can not be exported and show me tables failure, is it possible to link them or im just trying something impossible? Advice me on that plZzzzZZzz -- Aliko ...

Importing Current Database into CRM Database
Hi, I would just like to know if it is possible to tranfer my current database into the Adventure Works Database(and if so how) or is it used just for a few records for testing purposes. You help will be highly appreciated... there is a redeployment tool on support.microsoft.com/downloads under microsoft crm. This may help you. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Rock619" <rodger@intervigil.com> wrote in message news:5728edd40161d2cca1c0e079cfd86665@localhost.talkaboutsoftware.com... > Hi, > > I would just like to know if it is pos...

how to start a database
hi guys, i want to start a database on excel 2000, i never had to do this before, and i know this can be done. i just dont know where to start from ! what i want to do is, it is a racing club, i want a listing of all pilot and a sheet where we can enter the number of the car(all pilot info need will be transfer) for final result of the race.(right now they enter the car no, name , city at every race at every registration, if he is register to 3 race they do the process 3 time.) like in access went we create the database and after the query, that what i want to do in excel. any tip or link...

Disable Auto Name Checking
Is there a away to Administratively disable the Auto Name Checking on Outlook clients. I need to do this for several PCs, and I would like to do it so that they can not manually re-enable the feature. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I would also like to disable the ability to turn Auto- archiving on as well. Is there a way? ...

Impact of changing database column width?
Hi, We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in table SOP10201. Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of GP where the license keys must still exist with...

Does Microsoft Retail Management integrate with Navision? If so .
Does Microsoft Retail Management integrate with Navision? If so is this supported in the UK? Thanks, Jonathan There is a company called Elypsis that has developed an integration with Navision. Not sure if it's supported in the UK. Their URL is www.elypsis.com "Jonathan Wareham" wrote: > Does Microsoft Retail Management integrate with Navision? > > If so is this supported in the UK? > > Thanks, > > Jonathan Not out of the box. We have developed a integration module for one of our clients. It is at this stage for AU but can quite easily be made ...

Database Queries with database views, that base on many database t
I created 2 database views. Each of them uses 256 database tables. From every database table only one column is used in the select list of the view. Every database table has one column which is used for the join. Each database table has 5 rows. The database tables have not any foreign keys and indexes. Both views works fine. When I use the database views in a query like this: SELECT v1.*, v2.* FROM v1, v2 WHERE v1.id=v2.id I should get 5 rows with 512 columns in the resultset. But I get the following error from the SQL-Server (after about 5 minutes): Msg 8621, Level 17, State 2...

Use query from another database
Hi In the code below is there a way that qryOrderHistory could be in a separate database. If so how would i refer to it in the code. Thanks Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qd As DAO.Querydef Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set db = CurrentDb Set qd = db.QueryDefs("qryOrderHistory") qd.Parameters("prmCustNo") = lngCustNo Set rs = qd.OpenRecordset() If Not rs.Eof Then .... code to populate an excel spreadsheet Change your 'Set db = CurrentDb' line to something like the following .. Set db = DbEngine.OpenDatabase("full path and name of target MDB here") -- ...

Set Database in Excel
In Microsoft article 183446 under method 2, it refers to using "Set Database" on the Data menu. I am using Excel 2002 (the article says it applies to Excel 2002), but Set Database does not appear in my Data menu. Is this an error? It's an error due, I think, to very old menu structures. The article says that the information applies to everything from version 5.0 (1995) through 2003, inclusive. But I believe that the Set Database menu item disappeared from the Data menu as of Excel 97. And one has long defined a name using the Insert menu, not the Formula menu. But my rapidl...

Updates fail
Windows Vista Home Premium Dell Inspiron 1525 Removed a number of viruses, Trojans and other malware from the machine. It now fails on any attempt to do updates. It does the download, makes a restore point, says it's starting the installation, then fails. Failure codes include (but are not limited to) 80070490, 80246007, 80070016 and C000013A. The first one is the one that occurs most often. In addition, updates which the update history shows as having been installed successfully are now being shown as needing to be installed again. I've tried several of the KB ar...

upgraded from MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2005 now database's users have
Hello. I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's users have no login names. I found a way to list orphaned users sp_change_users_login 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are actually five listed with MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I tried this sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get the following error the user name 'RPS' is absent or invalid. Any ideas? Try with Auto_Fix instead; see the example at the end of the following article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/...

Client access problem after databases restoration
Hello! Recently we had a problem with an Exchange 2003 Back-End server with 6 mailbox store distributed thru 4 SG, and we lost the databases because the SAN's disks partitions were deleted by mistake. So, we had to do a restore from a backup, but when we could not mount the stores, so we used eseutil /p command, and after, eseutil /d, and then isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests. We could mount the stores, users can use email. The problem now is that we have some users that could not access their mailbox thru Outlook, and when we try to move to another store, we receive an ...

database or other software?
I need help with the following situation: I want to create files or a database that will contain information about my clients, with their business information (i.e address, phone, fax, type of business, in which states they do business) to send an invitation to bid on a construction project. I want , where a database would fill out the information automatically on the bid invitation, then fax, or email the invitation to each selected clients according to their specialty. Then I will need to keep track of who answers my invitations in order to "weed out" clients who do...

Form in another database
How can I check if an Access form is open or loaded when the form is in another Access application (mdb or nde file). Alex ...

Attendance Database Setup
I am creating an attendance database for my company. There are 19 different departments in the company and each manager tallies his/her own employee attendances. I had a spreadsheet set up, but it wasn't on a rolling calendar basis. Then, I was going to have the managers delete old months, but that would most likely mess with the formulas. So the new spreadsheet needs to be on a rolling calendar basis, so that when a new month comes up, the previous month from last year will drop off in calculations. My file has three worksheets, one titled "Summary", one titled "Detail...

Recover a Prod content database to Dev farm
Hello, I was wondering is it possible to recover (copy) a content database from a seperate farm to a Dev farm? I came across a few hints about using the "Copy the database files to a network folder" option, but nothing concrete. I'd appreciate if someone could clarify this for me? regards, Edgar You can recovery a database to a network location. We have the following options: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808956.aspx You will see the details in the "Tasks" section -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K...

Online update fails with Washinton Mutual Accounts in 2005
I setup the trial edition of Money 2005 to eval it use for purchase in 2005. I'm using online updates to download transaction from my local bank (Washington Mutual), but it doesn't download any transactions in 2005 (specifically, any transaction after 2004-12-31). Any idea if there is a fix for this? I was planning on buying the retail deluxe version but not if this problem can't be addressed. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Ryan D In microsoft.public.money, Ryan D <Ryan D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I setup the trial edition of Money 2005...

OWA failing
I am running exchange 5.5 on 2000 server. Under administrative tools, Routing and Remote Access was accidentally started. Since this occured our OWA keeps stopping...I get this error message in event viewer: Event ID 36872 but when I looked up this error it said this can occur on your AD domain controller. This server is not a domain controller, what do I need to do to fix this? ...

Integration manager out of stack space error
has anyone seen the below error? Beginning integration... DOC 668 ERROR: Out of stack space DOC 669 ERROR: Macro execution error, Dynamics.DEXTERITY_IM_MACRO_INACTIVE_HIT (error 2048): MoveTo field 'SOP Number' Thanks for any response Try the following: Error "Out of Stack Space" is generated if you run a SOP Return integration when the Item.Quantity value is not equal to the Item.ReturnedQuantities.Returned value. Hope this helps, rc "2020" wrote: > has anyone seen the below error? > > Beginning integration... > DOC 668 ERROR: Out of stack...

Database schema
Does anybody have an "official" database schema or data model for these databases? The list of tables and field names for the dbs are in the Resource Descriptions under Tools in GP Our book Information Flow and Posting maps the movement of data between the tables for the transactions in GP, RM, PM POP, SOP, and Inventory. Find it on our web site at http://www.AccoladePublications.com Are we going to see you at Convergence in Orlando? We are throwing a big party aboard an ocean going cruise ship on Wednesday. Visit our web site at http://www.AccoladePublications.com for d...