Are there and Built-in Application Failover Technologies in .NET and/or Windows Server 2008 (or SQL Server)

Hi all

A bit of a general question, hence the cross-posting.

I have a .NET application running on a Windows Server 2008 server. For
resilience, I want to run it on another server simultaneously, but only one
instance of the application can be 'active' at any one time. In the event
that the active instance of the application fails for some reason, I want
the passive one to take over. What techniques are there available to make
this an automatic process?

Of course, I can roll my own, as it were, and I would be interested in how
other people would implement a bespoke solution, but are there any built-in
mechanisms in .NET or Windows Server, or indeed SQL Server, that will make
this more straightforward?

TIA

Charles

0
Charles

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:23:17 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi all
>
>A bit of a general question, hence the cross-posting.
>
>I have a .NET application running on a Windows Server 2008 server. For
>resilience, I want to run it on another server simultaneously, but only one
>instance of the application can be 'active' at any one time. In the event
>that the active instance of the application fails for some reason, I want
>the passive one to take over. What techniques are there available to make
>this an automatic process?
>
>Of course, I can roll my own, as it were, and I would be interested in how
>other people would implement a bespoke solution, but are there any built-in
>mechanisms in .NET or Windows Server, or indeed SQL Server, that will make
>this more straightforward?
>
>TIA
>
>Charles

This is sounds like you need to look into clustering
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff650328.aspx#

John
0
John
8/16/2010 8:47:10 PM
Hi John

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the link and it appears to be a
discussion on the generics of failover clustering, which is really what I
was meaning by "roll my own".

The token idea is interesting, though, as it would seem that if neither
server can establish the owner of the token then they would both assume the
role of master; for example, where the servers haven't crashed but the
communication between them is lost.

Charles

"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:23:17 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>A bit of a general question, hence the cross-posting.
>>
>>I have a .NET application running on a Windows Server 2008 server. For
>>resilience, I want to run it on another server simultaneously, but only
>>one
>>instance of the application can be 'active' at any one time. In the event
>>that the active instance of the application fails for some reason, I want
>>the passive one to take over. What techniques are there available to make
>>this an automatic process?
>>
>>Of course, I can roll my own, as it were, and I would be interested in how
>>other people would implement a bespoke solution, but are there any
>>built-in
>>mechanisms in .NET or Windows Server, or indeed SQL Server, that will make
>>this more straightforward?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Charles
>>

> This is sounds like you need to look into clustering
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff650328.aspx#
>
> John

0
Charles
8/16/2010 11:46:08 PM
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:46:08 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi John
>
>Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the link and it appears to be a
>discussion on the generics of failover clustering, which is really what I
>was meaning by "roll my own".
>
>The token idea is interesting, though, as it would seem that if neither
>server can establish the owner of the token then they would both assume the
>role of master; for example, where the servers haven't crashed but the
>communication between them is lost.
>
>Charles
>

>"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:23:17 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>A bit of a general question, hence the cross-posting.
>>>
>>>I have a .NET application running on a Windows Server 2008 server. For
>>>resilience, I want to run it on another server simultaneously, but only
>>>one
>>>instance of the application can be 'active' at any one time. In the event
>>>that the active instance of the application fails for some reason, I want
>>>the passive one to take over. What techniques are there available to make
>>>this an automatic process?
>>>
>>>Of course, I can roll my own, as it were, and I would be interested in how
>>>other people would implement a bespoke solution, but are there any
>>>built-in
>>>mechanisms in .NET or Windows Server, or indeed SQL Server, that will make
>>>this more straightforward?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Charles
>>>

>> This is sounds like you need to look into clustering
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff650328.aspx#
>>
>> John

I don't think they could both be live as the resource could only be
assigned to one node. But it is possible to get into a state where the
are constantly swapping over, which is why you need good comms between
the nodes.

John

0
John
8/17/2010 6:00:15 PM
Hi John

In my particular application, I'm thinking of a socket to a [third-party]
remote server. My application would attach to the remote server, via TCP,
and receive data. The remote server is designed such that many clients can
attach and receive [the same] data, so at my end I only want to attach one
client at a time. I have to decide, for my self, which client app. That's
why I want to reproduce some sort of failover application, ideally using
existing technology, but otherwise using a standard, well-proven technique..

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:46:08 +0100, "Charles" <blank@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi John
>>
>>Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the link and it appears to be a
>>discussion on the generics of failover clustering, which is really what I
>>was meaning by "roll my own".
>>
>>The token idea is interesting, though, as it would seem that if neither
>>server can establish the owner of the token then they would both assume
>>the
>>role of master; for example, where the servers haven't crashed but the
>>communication between them is lost.
>>
>>Charles
>>

>>"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> This is sounds like you need to look into clustering
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff650328.aspx#
>>>
>>> John
>

> I don't think they could both be live as the resource could only be
> assigned to one node. But it is possible to get into a state where the
> are constantly swapping over, which is why you need good comms between
> the nodes.
>
> John

0
Charles

Windows Server 2008 and HP CLJ CM2320 MFP
Just wondering if there is a way to use this printer via remote service without the need to resort to Terminal Server? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee UK Time for a Common Sense change vote Liberal Democrat / Alliance ...

PRINT USING BUILT-IN PRINTER FONT ???
How can I print my excel sheet using one of the built in printer font ? Is it possible with excel - or - do I need to use a word processor or something ? The font I am trying to use is Draft Condenced.But it is not available in excel's Fonts list.Do I need to install it ? ( I am using an Epson LQ300+ Dot matrix printer. ) Thanks, Naveen Naveen, Epson will only print text files using its built-in fonts, so you could export your data to a .prn file prior to printing: otherwise, you get Excel's formatting. HTH, Bernie Excel MVP "Naveen" <naveene@isb.lk> wrote ...

black buttons in mfc application under XP
hi, I have some severe problems with CButtons under XP in XP windows themes style. Since I positioned them with DeferWindowPos then sizing a non modal dialog they are all drawn black. Any hints how get the system to display them normally? Thanks Ilmari ...

Confirmation of RMS compatibility with SQL Server 2005?
Is it possible to verify that RMS is compatible with SQL Server 2005 Enterprise SP1? Any help with information on this subject would be greately appreciated! Hello icemandia, 1.3R and above will work with SQL 2K5 * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see and download the file attachment(s). If you are not using a reader, follow the link below to setup Outlook Express. Click on "Open with newsreader" under the MS Retail Management System on the right. http://tinyurl.com/75bgz ********** &g...

Built-In Reporting
Are there any built-in reports within Exchange 2K3? I'm trying to determine things like: > Who's the biggest user of email > How many internal / external messages have been processed, etc. Thanks, Enrique Not really. NetIQ has some of this in their App Manager / App Analyser Suite, and if you are running a small shop, take a look at http://www.promodag.com -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://exchange.mvps.org "Enrique" <enrique@avertinc.com> wrote in message news:uB%23f8O9uEHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > A...

Word Document opening with wrong Application
Hi, Hi I am running OS X10.5. Office 2008 and had to install OpenOffice 3.1 onto my computer. I then wished to uninstall it, and dragged it to the trash and emptied. however, whenever I receive a Word (docx) file by email, and try to open it, OpenOffice is opening it - how when I have uninstalled it? I saved the Word document and right clicked to open it and Open Office is showing as the default application to open it. I selected Open With > Application and selected Word from the Office 2008 application, remembering to check the always open with this application check box, a...

HR
I have suggestion for Applicant Costs. Wouldn't it be nice if this information could be put into Accounts Payable and have it flow back into the Human Resources module? I know that Fixed Assets has this ability. Kevin ...

What is the Best XML API for .NET 3.5?
I’m starting a new project which will dynamically generate (user will have to pick and choose data, then generate the XML dynamically) RDLC for Reporting. My approach was to use LINQ to XML for the API. My question is what is the best API to use? Performance is no concern, most critical factor is that the code be easy to maintain easy to dynamically generate the mark-up for the RDLC. Note: We are all ready using LINQ to XML in the main application. This is for the reprinting module of the application. -- Alexander L. Wykel AW Software Works Alexander Wykel wrote: > I’m start...

Workbook window can't be resized
I have a workbook window that's 1/4 sized. The maximize minimize and close buttons are missing from the title bar. I cannnot even select the corners of the workbook to drag and resize that way. This specific to this one workbook. Opening up a new one does not present that problem. I'm running Excel 2002. LTL Go to Tools>Protection>Unprotect Workbook This might require a password from whoever protected the workbook window Good Luck Mark Graesse mark_graesser@yahoo.co ----- LTL wrote: ---- I have a workbook window that's 1/4 sized. The maximize ...

Problems between Outlook connector i Windows Live Calendar
I have a problem with Windows Live Calendar, is that when I add an appointment in your Outlook calendar, I get on the schedule of WLC, but not so when I cancel then I can not vanish at WLC, Also when I put an appointment in Outlook calendar, when you clik to save it tells me that this quote has not been saved in a folder and therefore will not be notified. I can tell someone how I can fix and what folder the notice relates. Thank you very much. Are you using the Outlook Hotmail Connector in Outlook to access your Windows Live Calendar ? -- ...winston ms-mvp mail &q...

Cold Spare Exchange 2003 Server
I've been asked by my manager to set up a cold spare Exchange 2003 server to be used in the event that our main Exchange server goes down. Is there a way to do this with Exchange 2003? If so, how? He basically wants a server that we can use to replace the production Exchange server, something that would have all the mailboxes in production. Thank you. Not going to happen without some sort of replication solution, at least not how you are wanting it to. In order for clients to be able to use the new server, it would have to have the same name. From the document, you can build a s...

Faulting application error in excel
I have a PC that keeps getting a crash in excel. It repeats with the same error each time in the event viewer: Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8324.0, stamp 4bc93a36, faulting module excel.exe, version 11.0.8324.0, stamp 4bc93a36, debug? 0, fault address 0x000b035a. I have tried a repair install. A remove and reinstall. Along with steps to remove the excel profile. The crash happens about every other day and sometimes a couple times or more each day. Any ideas? Thank you, Jason This is a guess and may not work, but ... I've read (somewhere) that most causes of crash...

windows media player 11.with windows vista.
error -windows media player cannot play the file the player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file,now i keep getting this error .and been told i need audio and video converter which will convert almost any codec and format.many are on the web. bu6t i would like one which will work with media player 11 if i can.so please can you name the best converter i should use ...

GP.NET toolkit
How can we get on a notification list for the release of this product. You need to sign up for the newsletters through CustomerSource. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Howard Roberts" wrote: > How can we get on a notification list for the release of this product. ...

old Exchange Server remains site folder server
Hello, I am trying to replace an old exchange 2000 server with a new 2003 server. I have moved all the mailboxes, public folders and system folders as per the KB article regarding 'removing the first exchange 2000 server in a site.' However, the old Exchange 2000 server is still showing up as the site folder server in AD. I have not uninstalled Exchange from the old server yet - will the site folder server role be automatically reassigned at that time or will I have to manually edit the AD with ADSI Edit and put the DN of my new Exchange server in there to change this role? Also, am ...

Setting Windows Theme Colors
Is there a way in AC2003 to call a routine or procedure that changes the Windows Theme Colors? I have color options geared towards the blue, green and silver Windows Theme colors? It would be nice to be able to set the Windows Theme Color when the user changes the color selection in Access. Thanks for your help! Although I believe it would be possible, I would be very upset if you changed my Windows settings. If you just want to use the System Colors to correspond the user's choice of Windows settings I would advise you to use the System Color Constants. Search hel...

Icons built in to startup of Excel 2000
I have a program called Crystal Reports. It somehow throws a seagate icon onto my excel 2000 worksheet on a separate toolbar. I want this icon to go onto another toolbar or a pull down menu. How do I do this? I have contacted Wind2 support (they have tech support for Crystal Reports/Seagate. They say I have to contact Microsoft. I can drag the icon to another tool bar, but when I restart Excel, it goes back where it was. Try Tools|Customize (just to see that dialog box) Now hit ctrl and drag the icon to your location of choice. But it might not help with the other toolbar. Depe...

"common child-window" in MDI-application
Hello. I have to make MFC MDI-application supported one document type. I need also one or several child-windows, which looks like CView-derived (but not actually such) and flow among them. Those windows are implicitly assigned to whole application, all open documents. How can I do it? Thanx, Shestero Michael Michael Shestero, Your question is very broad in scope, and the answer will have to be the same :-) If you want to make app-wide windows, you can use the main frame window as the owner. From the frame, you can access the app document, and then use the document hint-mechanism calling...

cannot send from windows mail
I cannot send emails from 2 seperate accounts I use in windows mail. These are both aapt accounts. It has been working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Please help. Message appears as follows..... -- The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'mail.aapt.net.au', Server: 'mail.aapt.net.au', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 23, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Tanya Sunshine Coast here is another message -- An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'ba test', Account: 'mail.aapt.net.au', Server: 'mail...

XML that is built on runtime
Hello, I have build xml by xmldom on runtime (on server) (it is only in memory, and doesn't in any file). How can I move the xml context from the server to client & vice versa ? Thanks :) On the server, you can add an XML Web control as shown below.... Dim xml_doc As New System.Xml.XmlDocument Dim s_xml Dim temp s_xml = "" s_xml = s_xml & "<xml id=" & Chr(34) & "kkk" & Chr(34) & ">" s_xml = s_xml & "<people id=" & Chr(34) & "kkk" & Chr(34) & ">" s_xml = ...

Doew WPF application need to install in each pc?
Our company have about 20 branches and 500 clienta in different locations. Most of our appications are ASP.NET and are hosted in a web server. If I use WPF to create a new application, does it need to install in each pc? -- Message posted via DotNetMonster.com http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/asp-net/201001/1 aspfun via DotNetMonster.com wrote: > Our company have about 20 branches and 500 clienta in different locations. > Most of our appications are ASP.NET and are hosted in a web server. > If I use WPF to create a new application, does it need to install in...

=?windows-1252?Q?Student_=96_Inventory_Offset_Account?=
Inventory Offset Account, is this a specific account or a generic term? When I go to setup a new item, on the Accounts screen (Item Account Maintenance) there is field labeled Inventory Offset. When inventory is received, I know to debit Inventory and credit Accrued Purchases so is that what this field is referring to? Update: I searched this forum for Inventory Offset and I read a few threads referring to the Inv. Offset account as a =93balancing account=94 when the system=92s not quite sure what to do. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.greatplains/browse_thread/t= hread/fe1...

Childcare Enrollment Application
Hey Everyone! I need help creating a childcare enrollment application in Access. The thing is I am new at the wholwe access thing. If someone out there have already created one , It would be great have a copy of one, maybe purchase at a low cost. Most applications out there cost everybit of 200.00 and I only have a small childcare center and been open for only one year. Anything helps!! Thanks $200 is a very reasonable price to pay for an application. Custom applications cost from several thousand to well over a million dollars. Considering what you own time is worth, I'd opt...

windows mail
unable to send/receive mail, error message connection to server has failed. help please am not very clever at this! -- amber And the secret error message is? Please post the error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA <amber> wrote in message news:B13FAD07-B887-4855-BF2A-87450A5BCAC5@microsoft.com... > unable to send/receive mail, error message connection to server has > failed. > help pl...

Language change is not retained on language bar in mfc application
I am using Arabic workstation with English as second input language. I switch language to English on the language bar or press (Shift + Alt). I have an MFC application which contains a Dialog Box with one Edit box and one Button. I follow the below mentioned steps. 1. Ran my application 2. Changed language from Arabic to English on language bar. 3. When I take focus on my application, language switches back to Arabic automatically. I want that the language should remain same that I have selected on language bar after running the application. Can anybodu help me on that? How do I retain the ...