Alternative to Ms sql server 2005 express edition

Hello Everyone,

Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running slow
because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a free
edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data.

And our database which we are currently using is now having more than 4.5 GB.

Hence they recommended us to go for a paid one that is specialized edition
workgroup and gave us the following link
http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx to go through the
comparison.

The hosting providers says that it will be around 4500 rupees per month for
sql server. As we are a small firm and cant afford to this much amount.

Please suggest any alternate methods.

Thanks
Pollard

0
Pollard

"Pollard" <u60001@uwe> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
a7e094c1bda57@uwe...
> Hello Everyone,

Hello,

> Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running
> slow
> because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a
> free
> edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data.

> And our database which we are currently using is now having more than
> 4.5 GB.

Upgrade to SQL 2008 R2 Express edition. The limit is now 10 Gb.
But I am afraid this is not the reason why it is slow.
SQL Express has two others limits which are :
- no more than 1Gb RAM (for Data, I guess, because the process can grow
until about 1.6Gb)
- only one CPU

--
Fred
foleide@free.fr

0
Fred
5/12/2010 5:55:35 AM
Pollard,

Business is business so if your business is expanding faster than the
free services can provide then surely you have an income model that can
cope. And anyway, don't you price your services on what things cost?

Internationally, hosting for $100/mth (around 4500 rupees), assuming it
comes with a server box, OS and SQL Server etc is quite reasonable. If
it is a website then for around $300/year you can get a SQL Server
database for free but you mentioned hosting, so I presume your entire
environment is loaded there.

If this service is for you then you shouldn't be looking at hosting but
should run your own box and obtain your own licenses. This will ALWAYS
be cheaper than a hosted solution. And far more efficient and far more
accessible and not reliant on the internet, and... and... and... If you
are hosting because you are offering out services to other people and
you need the reliability of a data centre then you have to expect to
price the services accordingly.

Geoff

"Pollard" <u60001@uwe> wrote in message news:a7e094c1bda57@uwe:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running slow
> because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a free
> edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data.
>
> And our database which we are currently using is now having more than 4.5 GB.
>
> Hence they recommended us to go for a paid one that is specialized edition
> workgroup and gave us the following link
> http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx to go through the
> comparison.
>
> The hosting providers says that it will be around 4500 rupees per month for
> sql server. As we are a small firm and cant afford to this much amount.
>
> Please suggest any alternate methods.
>
> Thanks
> Pollard

0
Geoff
5/12/2010 8:22:49 AM
Hello Geoff,

Thanks for  your  reply. We suggested our hosting company to upgrade from sql
server 2005 express edition to 2008 R2 Express edition.  But now our web
hosting company says that they are ready for an upgrade but they wont give
support or maintain the database  with the new edition and  says that we have
to maintain the database. I guess this is too much they are asking from us.

They only told us previously to upgrade to higher version but for a paid one.
Now when we suggested them a higher version but free, they say that they will
not maintain the database. This is really frustrating.

I don't know why they are pressurizing us for paid version. As i told before
now we are using sql server 2005 express edition which is also a free version
and hosting company is maintaining it. So what is the problem with them to
maintain the upgraded version of 2008.

We are really fed up with these guys and want to change our hosting company.
Could any of you guys pls suggest us the list of  good hosting companies who
will not create these types of problems and unnecessary tensions. Following
below are our details

Website files size is about 5 GB and Database file size around 4.5 GB. Also
there are few concerns during shifting of server such as  if we transfer our
db and files how long will it take since the site is heavy . Will there be a
downtime of the web site. Will the site be any hacking attempt since it's an
ecommerce web site.

We would appreciate if any of you could please help us in this regards

Thanks,
Pollard

Geoff Schaller wrote:
>Pollard,
>
>Business is business so if your business is expanding faster than the
>free services can provide then surely you have an income model that can
>cope. And anyway, don't you price your services on what things cost?
>
>Internationally, hosting for $100/mth (around 4500 rupees), assuming it
>comes with a server box, OS and SQL Server etc is quite reasonable. If
>it is a website then for around $300/year you can get a SQL Server
>database for free but you mentioned hosting, so I presume your entire
>environment is loaded there.
>
>If this service is for you then you shouldn't be looking at hosting but
>should run your own box and obtain your own licenses. This will ALWAYS
>be cheaper than a hosted solution. And far more efficient and far more
>accessible and not reliant on the internet, and... and... and... If you
>are hosting because you are offering out services to other people and
>you need the reliability of a data centre then you have to expect to
>price the services accordingly.
>
>Geoff
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
>> Thanks
>> Pollard

pollard
5/13/2010 5:06:05 AM
Thanks Geoff for the reply. I will go through it and have a compassion and
revert back to you.  Thanks Geoff for the help!

Geoff Schaller wrote:
>Pollard,
>
>I am only familiar with Australian hosts but you could check these guys
>out as a way of comparison. www.studiocoast.com.au they are very good
>and they are really flexible and always answer the phone. Nothing too
>hard - reverse DNS entries, database help, ftp, help with DNS and mail,
>etc. If you want to compare prices, the Aussie dollar is about 45
>rupees.
>
>But I recommend you try to find one in your time zone so that you can
>pick up the phone and yell at them. Phone support is very important to
>us because when you don't know what you're doing, one phone call can
>save hours.
>
>Your country must have a zillion ISP hosts but I don't have any specific
>recommendations sorry.
>
>Geoff
>
>> Hello Geoff,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 60 lines]
>> --

pollard

SQL Server Performance Issue
Hi All, Since last 2-3 weeks, our system has been experiencing issue of deadlocks and slow performance. The configuration is SQL Server 2005 SP3 64 bit Standard edition with 8 processor and 64 GB RAM (57 GB for SQL Server). Though it is not required but AWE is enabled and lock pages in memory priviledge granted on service account. We are using Quest SpotLight to monitor performance. The database file configurations are: on E drive we have SQL installation and all the data files and on F drive we have log files and tempdb. I'm not sure but it is on RAID 1+0 Issues are...

Outlook Express prompting for domain/username/password
I'm not sure if this is the right NG for OE questions but I didn't find one just for OE. My Exchange server has SMTP Authentication enabled so users can send e-mail through it even if they're on the road with their laptops. The problem is that OE asks for the username, password and the NT Domain every time a user tries to send a message. The username and password are saved in the account settings (for both POP3 and SMTP). Is there a way to get rid of the username/password/domain dialog box? TIA :) Fritz <fritz@dontbite.com> wrote: > I'm not sure if this...

Opinion on MS CRM
Hi, i'm willing to implement a CRM solution and i would like to know MS CRM weaknesses and valuable features. If someone could help me i would appreciate very much. Why not take at the details on CRM for yourself http://www.microsoft.com/businessSolutions/Microsoft%20Customer%20Relationship%20Management/default.mspx Also take a look at the review of CRM in Internet works for Autumn (note you can do free trial subscription). http://iwks.com/magazine/ "Fred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23f201c49bf9$3959e090$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, &g...

CRM 4.0 with MS Outlook and Novell Groupwise?
Greetings: Has anyone tried to deploy MS CRM with Outlook client communicating with a Novell Groupwise acting as the email and calendar server? I have a hospital prospect that is running Novell Groupwise as their enterprise email/calendar solution. I have read that Novell Groupwise 7.02 does offer a Outlook Conenctor. I was wondering if anyone has experience with MS CRM in a Groupwise shop? Thanks ...

SQL Insert from Access
I have a query in access 2003 containing new patients that needs to be inserted into a SQL server 2005 table. This will be done once a month. ImportData contains the connection string. Can anyone finish the syntax or tell me a better way of doing this. Thanks in advance. Kurt =============================================================================================== Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection cnn.Open ImportData strSQL = "INSERT INTO dbo.tblPatients (PFirstName, PLastName, MedicalRecNumber,DOB,MRSNID,EmployeeID)" strSQL = strSQL & "SEL...

SFO Client to point to another server
Hello, I am running a pilot project with core users using SFO client in their laptops. However, when we eventually go live on the production server, how do i get these SFO clients to read from the new server? What happens to the data that is already present in the SFO Client? Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the SFO clients, if so, any specific procedure to do this? Kindly advise. Hi M.Babu, there will be a way. Uninstall and reinstall SFO - be sure, that the Client, where you uninstall SFO is online and the old SRM server exists. - install, Update or change to your production...

MSCommCtrl alternative??
I would like to use the com port to communicate with an external device. MSComm32, an ActiveX control, fits the bill fine for this if you happen to have a dialog open that can parent the control. That way, you can create a control variable of the Comm32 class and have access to all its glory. In my application, I have no dialog that hosts the control. I realize this exposes my ignorance of ActiveX and COM but is there a reasonably simple way to get access to an ActiveX control's functionality without having it reside in a dialog? Thanks in advance, Bob Bob Curry wrote: > I would ...

MS Excel 2002 attachment issue
I have a user on my network who was using Outlook Express as their mail client. I'm migrating everyone's mail, address book, and settings to Microsoft Outlook (whatever version is on their PC). In any event, after making the change to Outlook and making it the default mail client, MS Excel still defaults to Outlook Express when selecting File -> Send To -> Mail Recipient (as Attachment). Even after a reboot and reselecting Outlook as the default mail client I cannot get it to use Outlook to send. Any ideas? Thanks! Hi http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm Number 1 ...

Yet about Win98 GDI limit.... why MS Word is so special?
Hi, Sorry for being so stuborn and inquisitive about this matter, but... According to Jeff Prosise's 'Programming Windows with MFC', chapter 2: 'Hold a real ruler up to the screen and on most PCs you'll find that 1 logical inch equals a little more than 1 physical inch.' It's very odd: he says 'on most PCs', and my apps really do not show 100% accuracy between logical and physical measures, though calculations using GetDeviceCaps show the opposite. Now, what surprises me the most, Microsoft Word displays A4 pages, for instance, exactly 21mm x 29.7mm on ...

how to edit Global Address List on Exchange 5,5 with AD
can I add mail address to GAL, mailbox exist but I can see user in GAL Exchange 5.5 hosts it's own directory. You can set up an ADC (Active Directory Connector) that will synchronize AD and the 5.5 directory. Have you done that? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) <kuzynzewschodu@aa.pl> wrote in message news:e931na$esv$1@helios.domdata.com... > can I add mail address to GAL, mailbox exist but I can see user in GAL > > ...

A get/change operation on table 'ME_Signature_Setup' failed accessing SQL data
Hi.... We are on Great Plains 7.5 with MS-SQL. We recently installed Great Plains 7.5 on one of the client machines and while printing a test check we faced the following error: 'A get/change operation on table 'ME_Signature_Setup' failed accessing SQL data' On clickking "More Info" it says: 'Number of results columns doesnt match table definition.' First, i though its a rights issue, but it seems to be soemthing esle. We have SP7 installed on that machine, we also have Mekorma Micr 2.1.13.0 on that machine. Any help on this issue will be highly appreciate...

POP3 Users Outside the Network Can't Log Into Incoming Mail Server
I have a Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server which includes Exchange Server 2003. Everything is working, except for POP3 users outside our network. POP3 users on the internal network can send/receive mail fine; however, POP3 users outside the network can’t. When setting up a POP3 account in Outlook 2003, for example, Test Settings shows that everything works (Find incoming/outgoing mail server, Log into outgoing mail server, Send test message) except “Log into incoming mail server”. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated! POP3 uses port 110, you may have to ...

Ms-Query
I am a novice in Excel. I have a excel file with 20 to 25 sheets, is it possible to use Ms-Query to filter the data from the same file show in a new worksheet of the same file. And the query should contain nearly 10 to 15 variables. Is it possible, if it is kindly help me how to filter the data with Ms-Query. thanks in advance. ...

Curious Reaction to subform SQL statement
Here's a poser for the experienced... I have created a form whose header allows the user to enter a partspec of a persons last name so as to identify and retrieve that individual's personal record. The entry of the partspec & clicking a cmd button triggers a VB routine which creates the following SQL statement: MySQL = "SELECT * FROM [qryFindRec] WHERE [ClientLastName]Like" & Chr(39) & [LookForRec] & Chr(42) & Chr(39) (where [qryFindRec] is a query containing enough fields to positively identify the individual. and [LookForRec] is the na...

Incoming and Outgoing SMTP server settings
I have approx 110 PC's in my network and I will need to change the incoming and outgoing SMTP server settings in Outlook for those machines. I have machines with Office '03 and Office '07 on them. Is there a way to change the settings of the incoming and outgoing SMTP server settings in Outlook on all machines at once? A batch file or something? Are the Outlook server settings in the registry? GPO ?? -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/prote...

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' #2
Hi, I have been running Outlook 2003 through HTTP over RPC to connect to an Exchange 2003 server for some time without troubles until recently. All of the sudden both I and my users have been getting the following error on send / receive: "Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.'" I have tried rebuilding the offline address list and creating new profiles. We are able to send and receive mail without issue. But I am worried that this error is indicative of a problem i am not seeing and it...

move sent items to alternate folder dependant on sender email addr
Hi I have an issue, caused by having multiple mailboxes open in outlook, this is a business requirement with different email addresses (and domain names) for different business areas. (eg user1@dom1.com and user1@dom2.com) I am using outlook2003, backed by exchange 2003. I want to automatically place sent items in the correct sent items folder depending upon what email address (account) was used to send out an email. Whichever is the primary email account currently has all sent items in it. (eg sent from user1@dom1.com and user1@dom2.com) Although it is possible to manually just cop...

Exchange Server Registry Descriptions ??????
I need to find out the descriptions for all the Registry Entries that are related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2000. Is there any place where I could find a list of Registry Guide for Exchange or atleast a list of all the entries related to Exchange. These are the KEYS I am looking information on. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDSAccess HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeES HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeMTA HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\C...

Dynamic SQL and temporary QueryDefs
I came across this MSDN article http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb177500.aspx and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it: Dim db as DAO.Database Set db = CurrentDb Set qdf = db.CreateQueryDef("") strSql = [dynamically created SQL] qdf.SQL = strSql qdf.Execute dbFailOnError Set qdf = Nothing Is this a better alternative to: strSql = [dynamically created SQL] db.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError Either way, Access has to compile the query before running it, correct? Any thoughts? "deko" <deko@nospam.com> wrote in message news:ioGdndNz0tt2aCXanZ2...

Repost: Microsoft 2002 won't run on Windows XP, can't get product id for MS Help
After installing Microsoft 2002 on my Windows XP system I get the error "Unable to initialize a required Money component." The Microsoft CHECKSKU program detects, but does not correct, the problem. I cannot create an online help request from Microsoft because I can't get the product id because I can't run Money. Any help anyone can offer? Thanks a bunch! Keith... I found three articles in the MS KB on this. The third one has the checksku stuff, try the first two. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310765 http://support.microsoft.com/default.as...

Sometimes, up/down/left/right keys in MS-Excel 2002 don't work correctly ?
Version: MS-Excel 2002 XP Problem: Sometimes, up/down/left/right keys in MS-Excel 2002 don' work correctly ? Instead when an up/down/left/right key is pressed, the entir spread-sheet moves up/down/left/right, and the active cell remains th same (instead of moving to the desired cell). If the computer is rebooted, it resolves the problem (for a while). Th problem has been seen on more than one computer. Repair, Re-install, and Service Packs did not resolve the problem. Anyone ever seen this problem in MS-Excel ? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hiyou p...

Alternative to
Hi all, Thanks for your help in advance. Well I am at nadir in terms of knowledge of MFC and any other GUI development thing, But I have to solve a Bug which is like that in a Window, a menu which appears on double right click should come up instead in single right click. It is using currently the following things to do the same ON_NOTIFY_REFLECT(NM_RCLICK, OnRclick) void CTreeInfoWnd::OnRclick(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) Earier I thought I should use the following ON_WM_RBUTTONDOWN() void CTreeInfoWnd::OnRButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point){ but here the problem is I need NM_LI...

MS Project 2000
I am facing difficulty in creating a filter of my project activities based on a specific "completion date only". Standard filters/sorts create a mix of all activities. I do NOT want to include activities that were 'Started/completed', BUT ONLY all that were completed by a specific date regardless of when they were started. Can someone 'guide/share solution for' me on this problem? Thanks very much for an immediate solution. ...

Outlook client on Exchange 2003 server
Can I install Outlook 2003 on my Exchange 2003 server to look at the admin account and test? I am not sure if this is supported or not. I'm sure you've gotten replies, but installing Outlook on an Exchange server is not supported and can cause problems. Both Outlook and Exchange use mapi32.dll, but they are often different versions (because each uses the dll file for different things). If you have a version conflict, bad things can happen. This is the main reason that Outlook is not supported on an Exchange server. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Stephen Aldous" &...

MS Money from Quicken
I have used Quicken98 for many years and am now making the brave move of finally moving over to MS Money Ver 11. I have five home loan accounts in Quicken however when I convert the file to Money only two or the five accounts are designated as a home loan type accounts and the others are simply liability type accounts. If the differences are cosmetic it doesn't bother me however will I be limited in functionality if these accounts are not correctly designated as home loans ? When Money imports a Quicken file how does it determine if the account is a home loan or a generic liabili...