SSRS 2005 accessing SQL Server 2000 databases

I have been asked to upgrade a server from SS2000 to SS2005 so that SSRS 2005
can be used to create reports using the upgraded database. I maintain that
SSRS 2005 can access SS2000 databases directly, so the upgrade may be
unnecessary.  Are there features of SSRS 2005 which are unavailable when
creating reports from a SS2000 database?  Be very specific if you are able.

Thanks

When talking about databases and version you need to consider two things.
The database that the report is based on and the location of the databases
used internally by Reporting Services.

RS can report against data from a wide variety of databases: SQL Server,
Oracle, Sybase, etc. There is absolutely no difference as far as features
when reporting against SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008. The SQL you use might be
different but even in that is only if you are using sophisticated queries.

RS uses two databases internally. These database must reside on SQL Server.
Sometimes the database in on the same server as RS and sometimes on a
different server. For RS 2005 the databases can be on either SQL 2000 or SQL
2005. For RS 2008 the database can be on either SQL Server 2005 or 2008.

I personally have run with RS 2005 using 2000 database and later 2005
database. I currently am running RS 2008 using SQL 2005 databases. Note,
this is very important, I am only talking about the databases used
internally NOT databases I am reporting against.

I report against SQL 2005, SQL 2000, Sybase 12.5, InSQL (a real time control
database).

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"Snake" <Snake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been asked to upgrade a server from SS2000 to SS2005 so that SSRS
> 2005
> can be used to create reports using the upgraded database. I maintain that
> SSRS 2005 can access SS2000 databases directly, so the upgrade may be
> unnecessary.  Are there features of SSRS 2005 which are unavailable when
> creating reports from a SS2000 database?  Be very specific if you are
> able.
>
> Thanks

0
Bruce

SQL Server 2005 Memory Allocation
If I set the max memory at 0 or all available, is sql server smart enough not to cause swapping? If yes, what is the downside? Thanks in advance On 2010-03-22 23:29, RG wrote: > If I set the max memory at 0 or all available You can't set it to 0, that's not a legal value. The default is 2147483647 (2048 TB, i.e. "unlimited"). > is sql server smart enough not to cause swapping? Yes. SQL Server will avoid paging regardless of how much memory you tell it to use, as it "knows" that will kill performance. > If yes, what is the downside...

Accessing E-Mail from Outside Computer
I'm new to Outlook. I have my e-mail set up in Outlook. Is it possible to retrieve my e-mail from a computer other than the one I have it currently set up on now? Example: Emails come to outlook at my home computer. When I enter my email from my work computer it says there is no email because the mail is automatically sent to my outlook on my home computer. Is it possible to enter my email from another computer other than the one my outlook is set up on? Tools>Accounts>Properties>Advanced - check the "Leave a Copy of Messages on Server" ....but note that on o...

Outlook Today Screen 2000
I just removed the MSNBC update from the outlook today screen and not when I try to customize the today screen it doesn't work. I click on it but it does not take me to the options screen. The popular reason for this seems to be installing the Q813489 patch (April 2003 Cumulative Patch) for Internet Explorer. More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Paul" <anonymous@d...

quick access toolbar buttons
Is there anyway to have names appear next to the buttons on the quick access toolbar? I have several I would like to put there, but its too easy to forget what each icon links to. As far as I know not possible, only tiptext when hovering with mouse over them... -- Maurice Ausum "JBall" wrote: > Is there anyway to have names appear next to the buttons on the quick access > toolbar? I have several I would like to put there, but its too easy to forget > what each icon links to. ...

Launching Excel fro within Access 2007
What code would I use to open a specific Access table (e.g. Table1) in Excel? Hi, you can run docmd.OutputTo with autostart=true, this will export your table to Excel and open it with exported data -- Best regards, ___________ Alex Dybenko (MVP) http://accessblog.net http://www.PointLtd.com "JimP" <jpockmire@att.net> wrote in message news:44-dnf8E-fbLIlHWnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@giganews.com... > What code would I use to open a specific Access table (e.g. Table1) in > Excel? > My mistake. I have a csv file that I created from Access that I now...

Total Number of Invoices Smartlist or SSRS
I need to create a Smartlist or SSRS report that has the Customer Name, Customer Balance (Overage),Total number of paid Invoices ,Total Cash Received, Total number of unpaid invoices, Total $ unpaid invoices and can be sorted by invoice date. What tables can i use im creating a smartlist or how do i create an SSRS report for this? I think this would be easier done in SSRS. Do you have any experience with SSRS? If not, I suggest getting a book - SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services by Brian Larson. It will walk you through creating reports. I keep it by my side always when creating SSRS...

Send to Outlook 2000 not Outlook Express
Is there a way in Excel to make Outlook 2000 your default. Everytime I use the "Send To" command it launches Outlook Express. I want the command to launch only Outlook 2000. TIA, J New Hi Jimbo Check out if Outlook is your mail program for Office Start>Settings>Control Panel....Internet options (Program Tab)Close Excel first before you make a change. -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jimbo" <Jimbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BDDA773-C2B2-4938-BBF8-48FFFF642177@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Excel to ma...

Exchange Access Denied
after installing kb931978 back on 3/09/2007 we noticed the exchange brick level backup started failing on many items reporting access denied. we checked with the users and they are not able to access the items as well through outlook. so far it seems all the items that have this problem are from 2003 and from outside email address. many users also have older items that are still working. Not sure why the DST update would have had this affect or if it is even related. we ran a concistancy check on the store and tried taking owner ship of the mail box with another user and so far no...

SSRS Wizard
I am trying to run the SSRS Wizard on Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ SQL 2008. The Wizard functions normally until I click the Finish button at which point it displays the following error: "A configuration file cannot be created for the requested Configuration object." Some Google searches have indicated that it's a .NET permissions issue. It sounds to me like a permisisons issue on the web folders. I have checked permisisons on the physical data folders containing the SSRS web objects and verified that admins have full control and the Users have Read & modify a...

Mulitiple Computer Access Link
Hello. I will be using OneNote on multiple computers. When I clicked that option while creating a new notebook on computer 1, it asked if I would like to receive a link for access on computer 2. I said yes, and my yahoo email account tried to come up on computer 1 (I do not have Outlook). However, all that came up was a blank page on computer 1. So, I never got the link to use on computer 2. I finished the set up of the notebook on computer 1. My question is, is there anywhere in OneNote on computer 1 that I can look for that link that I was supposed to get so I can use it for co...

Adding .FDM form to public folders on server
I was wondering if some one could please shed some light on this issue. I have a Request form that I would like posted under the public folders so employees with security rights can access through outlook and fill out. Anyone formiliar with this please let me know. Thanks JA you can publish a form via Outlook to the Organizational Forms Library Tools/Forms/Publish.... On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:40:52 -0700, "Josh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I was wondering if some one could please shed some light >on this issue. I have a Request form that I woul...

error statement for contacts in outlook but I cannot access...
Hello, I was adding a contact to my outlook. I was unable to do so and received a message that "errors have been detected in the file c:\documents and settings...outlook.pst." I ran the scanpst and received a message that it ran successfully (including, I think, the repair link). I have then attempted to access outlook--contacts, calendar, etc. with no success. Is this unprecedented? I would greatly appreciate any assistance or suggestions. Thank you, in advance. Francis Hello, again. I am getting desperate! Outlook continues to generate the error: Unable to disp...

Word page templates in SSRS, and creating a summary page in SSRS
Hi, I will design a SSRS report that is supposed to be dynamic pages, meaning that some pages should be displayed and some not. I was thinking in creating few template pages, and based on the configuration, provided by the database, use the appropriate page templates for each pages, seeding the information according to the provided data. Question 1: How to create page templates in SSRS, choosing the template to be used on each rendered page? Question 2: How to create an Summary (index) dynamically (rendering a word document) in SSRS? Thanks, Rob ...

Save as web problems with Pub 2000
I am running Publisher 2000 (from Office 2000) on Windows 2000 professional with a 933Mhz / 128 Mb Ram / Pent III Compaq Presario and I have tried to do a &#8220;save as web page&#8221; and I have the following error come up and the program shuts down. The error is MSPUB.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. To try and fix the problem I ran the repair facility on the CD and also reinstalled the program twice, and that did not fix the problem. I used to have Windows ME and the same Office...

Import into Access from Excel, passing a variable as the field...
Hello all, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same 30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row 2 below the Header contains the data I want to import. Instead, of physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header. When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name manually it works. This what I have: Dim iColumn As Integer Dim FieldName As ...

Cannot edit check numbers in Microsoft Money 2005
I automatically downloaded my checking information from my bank, but my checking account did not import with any check numbers nor will it allow you to add/edit them. Can you add/edit check numbers on downloaded checking accounts in Microsoft Money 2005? Rob In microsoft.public.money, robpw1@gmail.com wrote: >I automatically downloaded my checking information from my bank, but my >checking account did not import with any check numbers nor will it >allow you to add/edit them. Can you add/edit check numbers on >downloaded checking accounts in Microsoft Money 2005? I can do so. ...

SFO offline "access is denied"
Hi, I've encountered an "Access is denied" error when trying to take SFO offline. I've installed SFO on a Win xp with office 2003 and also ran windows update. Similar to other users, it goes offline correctly. The error occurs when clicking on any of the forms. I've tried everything I found in the newsgroup including 1) add it to domain admin and local admin group which it is 2) change a registry key entry to 00 in the first 2 numbers What else can I do? Thanks Linna there is a bug which is corrected by checking the registry for mscrm in your client computer. ...

SSRS Linking Dataset
I have converted some reports in Access to SQL 2008 Reporting Services. However, some of the reports have subreports in them and they look fine in design but when I try to run the report previewing it from VS 2008 I get the main report but not the subreport. Apparently, the subreport is not tied to a Dataset even though the dataset shows up in the Report Data section on left side of VStudio. I cannot find anywhere in proerties to attach a dataset to the subreport. Also, how do I "link" the subreport to the main report to get only the correct records in the subrepo...

Turn off internet access in Outlook
I need to turn off internet access in Outlook. This includes "favorites" as well as "tools on the web". We have turned off internet access to our users but they still access the internet through Outlook. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks! ...

money 2005 #29
how do i get the automatic 2 point decimal point on entries like 2004 etc skipperjak wrote: > how do i get the automatic 2 point decimal point on entries like 2004 > etc Assuming you mean you want the year to be 04 vs 2004, I believe that setting is found in the Window's (not Money) "control panel" "regional Settings" -- Joseph Meehan Dia duit Assuming you mean that you want to enter 1995 as a value and get 19.95, check the settings in Tools|Settings. It's still there somewhere. It's just all been arbitrarily rearranged from M04 "t...

Personal Adress Book Database
Hello, I am trying trying to download the Personal Adress Book database template and get error : Microsoft Office Access can't find the databese file 'C:\.....Make sure you entered the correct path and file name. Can anyone help me get around this? Thankn you for your time! ...

RichEditCtrl and Access
Should I be using a OLE object field in Access to hold the contents of a RichTextEdit field? It's for a Notes field. When I read the Note in should I store it in a CByteArry? How do I get the Note into and out of a CRichEditCtrl? ...

help files in Access 2007 VB
I've just started writing some VB again, after a break. the difference is now I'm using 2007. when I try to look up help for VB, instead of getting local support, I'm directed to an online source AND most of the DAO help seems to be lacking. Did I do something wrong in installing this program. What happended to all the great doucmentation for all of the command words in VB? Turn off the option to search online help so that you are only using help from your computer. On the bottom right side of the online help screen, click the icon and change the setting to n...

Outlook Mobile Access #5
I have not beeen able to resolve OMA authentication for a while and I keep getting the following message. "Your account is not configured for wireless access. Please contact your administrator." Outlook WEB (OWA) access works great. I am running exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Server Standard I am connecting over SSL the exchange server IS on a DC. I KNOW THAT my password and login are fine and the the account is setup for mobile access. Any help? Thanks, -CB On Wed, 4 May 2005 08:52:06 -0700, "CB" <CB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have not beeen a...

Export a query to a new database
Access 2003 I have a large database with several tables. One of the tables has about 74 fields and I have created a quety using only 12 fields and criteria to filter only certain records. I need to send the results of the query (basically the records and fields) to an associate. How can I export the records and fields of that query to a new Access MDB file to send to them without sending my other data? Does it need to be in an .mdb file? You can export the results to a text file (using TransferText) or to an EXCEL file (using TransferSpreadsheet) -- these will be a bit easier to c...