sql server report 2008 formatting options

The following two questions pertain to format questions I have about sql
server 2008:

  1. When I export some of the sql server 2008 tables to either word or PDF,
and the table goes to two or more

pages, there is a complete empty page break. Basically I will see the table,
followed by a blank page, the table is

continued to another page, there is another empty page, the table is
continued to another page, there is another

empty page. Thus can you tell me how to make certain there are not all the
empty pages I just listed above?

  2. I am thinking of creating 1 table that would look like the following.
Each sentence would be a different row in

the table.
 When looking at the data below:
 a. How would I get lines 1 and 2 to show up only once?
 b. How would I get lines 3 and 4 to show up on every page?

line 1 'The table contains the following sales figures:
line 2 '  Company XYX Bike sales'
line 3 (column headers look like
        Product name    product quantity        total price
line 4  (detail data)
         bike a                  8                        $752
         bike b                  1                        $890
         bike g                  3                       $275
thanks!

What is happening is that your page size is not matching your printed page
so it is printing blank pages.

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"jazzydance" <jazzydance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The following two questions pertain to format questions I have about sql
> server 2008:
>
>  1. When I export some of the sql server 2008 tables to either word or
> PDF,
> and the table goes to two or more
>
> pages, there is a complete empty page break. Basically I will see the
> table,
> followed by a blank page, the table is
>
> continued to another page, there is another empty page, the table is
> continued to another page, there is another
>
> empty page. Thus can you tell me how to make certain there are not all the
> empty pages I just listed above?
>
>  2. I am thinking of creating 1 table that would look like the following.
> Each sentence would be a different row in
>
> the table.
> When looking at the data below:
> a. How would I get lines 1 and 2 to show up only once?
> b. How would I get lines 3 and 4 to show up on every page?
>
> line 1 'The table contains the following sales figures:
> line 2 '  Company XYX Bike sales'
> line 3 (column headers look like
>        Product name    product quantity        total price
> line 4  (detail data)
>         bike a                  8                        $752
>         bike b                  1                        $890
>         bike g                  3                       $275
> thanks!

0
Bruce
3/5/2010 8:30:11 PM
How do you solve this problem?

I plan on having page headers and page footers. Thus can you tell me how to
count the number of lines that are available? Also if a chart continues on
more than one page, how do you control the formatting so that the chart
contionues on to the next page without having a blank page in the middle?

"Bruce L-C  [MVP]" wrote:

> What is happening is that your page size is not matching your printed page
> so it is printing blank pages.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>
> "jazzydance" <jazzydance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The following two questions pertain to format questions I have about sql
> > server 2008:
> >
> >  1. When I export some of the sql server 2008 tables to either word or
> > PDF,
> > and the table goes to two or more
> >
> > pages, there is a complete empty page break. Basically I will see the
> > table,
> > followed by a blank page, the table is
> >
> > continued to another page, there is another empty page, the table is
> > continued to another page, there is another
> >
> > empty page. Thus can you tell me how to make certain there are not all the
> > empty pages I just listed above?
> >
> >  2. I am thinking of creating 1 table that would look like the following.
> > Each sentence would be a different row in
> >
> > the table.
> > When looking at the data below:
> > a. How would I get lines 1 and 2 to show up only once?
> > b. How would I get lines 3 and 4 to show up on every page?
> >
> > line 1 'The table contains the following sales figures:
> > line 2 '  Company XYX Bike sales'
> > line 3 (column headers look like
> >        Product name    product quantity        total price
> > line 4  (detail data)
> >         bike a                  8                        $752
> >         bike b                  1                        $890
> >         bike g                  3                       $275
> > thanks!
>
> .

Blank pages are because you have a control growing off the size of the page
or your page size is too big. A control that is empty is still there. So if
you have a textbox that is too big you will be having blank pages. You need
to look at your page size and see what it is. Look at controls and see if
any of them are set to grow.

--

> How do you solve this problem?
>
> I plan on having page headers and page footers. Thus can you tell me how
> count the number of lines that are available? Also if a chart continues on
> more than one page, how do you control the formatting so that the chart
> contionues on to the next page without having a blank page in the middle?
>
> "Bruce L-C  [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What is happening is that your page size is not matching your printed
>> page
>> so it is printing blank pages.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>>
>> "jazzydance" <jazzydance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The following two questions pertain to format questions I have about
>> > sql
>> > server 2008:
>> >
>> >  1. When I export some of the sql server 2008 tables to either word or
>> > PDF,
>> > and the table goes to two or more
>> >
>> > pages, there is a complete empty page break. Basically I will see the
>> > table,
>> > followed by a blank page, the table is
>> >
>> > continued to another page, there is another empty page, the table is
>> > continued to another page, there is another
>> >
>> > empty page. Thus can you tell me how to make certain there are not all
>> > the
>> > empty pages I just listed above?
>> >
>> >  2. I am thinking of creating 1 table that would look like the
>> > following.
>> > Each sentence would be a different row in
>> >
>> > the table.
>> > When looking at the data below:
>> > a. How would I get lines 1 and 2 to show up only once?
>> > b. How would I get lines 3 and 4 to show up on every page?
>> >
>> > line 1 'The table contains the following sales figures:
>> > line 2 '  Company XYX Bike sales'
>> > line 3 (column headers look like
>> >        Product name    product quantity        total price
>> > line 4  (detail data)
>> >         bike a                  8                        $752
>> >         bike b                  1                        $890
>> >         bike g                  3                       $275
>> > thanks!
>>
>> .

0
Bruce

IF conditional formatting
I have been trying a comparatively simple conditional statement to no avail and was wonddering if anyone could shed some light. I need this basic statment =if(A1 between E1 and F1, D1, "") A1 to infinity contains a date and if it lies within the date range contained in each row of E to F it needs to pick up its corresponding cell value in D1 (also a date function) Any ideas? Kunal, =IF(AND(A1>E1,A1<F1),D1,"") ? I'm not sure because I don't understand what you mean by "the range contained in each row of E to F" -- Regards, Auk Ales * P...

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

Transfer from Business acoutn does not show up in Tax reports?
Hello everyone, I am having a bit of trouble with how to handle transfers from my business account. I transfer money from my business account into my personal account to pay myself. The problem is since I cannot assign a category to a transfer my P and L and Tax reports show the money is still in the business. Is there a way to do this? Thank you in advance. Kevin ...

Cannot install the 3rd Exchange 2003 Server
Hi All, Please help me. I cannot install the 3rd exchange Server 2003 on windows server 2003 Std with SP1 and without SP1. My AD is Server 2003 with SP1. The other 2 Exchange Server is 2003 std with SP2. During installing a new Exchange computer into the organization, I receive the following error message: Setup failed while installing sub-component Site Replication Service with error code 0xC007054B (please consult the installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again. And the log is have the following error: [19:50:13] DS or RPC is b...

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

Report/Form formatting
I asked this question on the formscoding NG but perhaps it's better posted here? Shouldn't this conditional formatting work? (CF applied to a text box on a form.) 1st cond: Expression is --- [Missing]=True Red 2nd cond: Expression is --- [Deceased]=True Blue Only the second of the two specifications takes effect. If I reverse them, once again it's only the 2nd spec that effects display. Bill I'm not sure I follow how a "forms"-related question belongs in a "reports" newsgroup... Are you using conditional formatting on two separate controls...

Computerworld article on Mac Office 2008
Computerworld has a story giving a preview of Mac Office 2008. They have quotes from some key people at Microsoft who were involved in Mac Office 2008's development. The story can be read at this link: http://tinyurl.com/3be8p6 ...

Eror connecting Reports MAnager
Hi all, i have been trying to install CRM 3.0 on a SBS installation with SQL 2000 installed and Sharepoint Services , and have the following problem: when I verify the report server the message is : servername/ReportServer - / -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Versión 8.00.1038.00 but when attempt to go to the reports administrator can't connect : ERROR The connection has been finished: It is not possible to connect with the remote server. Thanks! ...

"Create Rule" option greyed out
In Outlook 2003, does anybody know why this option would be greyed out for just a select couple of addresses??? Both the right click menu and the toolbar are showing grey. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. HAve you selected just one address? How are you trying to add a rule? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, jaredsubman@yahoo.com asked: | In Outlook 2003, does anybody know why this option would be grey...

sql summarizing help

Custom formatting for TOC?
I'm setting up a table of contents using styles, and I'd like to customize it in a very specific way. Instead of having just the style text and page number, e.g.: Swine Flu test 4 I'd like to include an extra field at the beginning of each line: 46585 Swine Flu test 4 The first field isn't directly next to the second field--in fact, it's after it, several lines down. I'd also like to enclose each field with a border--not just each line, but each field within the line, i.e., like a table grid. We generate these docs ea...

Project Server Cube Build Issue
I think I screwed up the install order on the SQL DMO components. According to MSDN: " At this time, do not use the feature packs for SQL Server 2008 to install and download these components, as those files will not allow you to build cubes in SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services with Project Server 2007." However, I didn't read that carefully enough and installed the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects Collection instead of the 2005 version. Now I can't install the 2005 version even if I uninstall the 2008 version. The setup fails with the "highe...

Case reports 08-02-05
Hi Guys, we are using CRM for logging our service calls but have a few issues which I hope someone might be able to help with. Firstly, when logging onsite visits we are recording them as appointments but we need to report on these to automatically produce onsite job sheets, incorporating information from the appointment, case and account records. I've created a report in Crystal with varying degrees of success as it seems to miss of information from Account records and also doesn't seem to restrict the report to Appontment activities, despite my filter. Has anyone else done...

Insert AutoText entries based on selected options in UsrForm cbobo
Word 2003 on Windows XP. My template will be used to create design documents with up to 12 different sections ("sections" meaning blocks of text, no Section Breaks involved). Examples of sections are Requirements, Assumptions, Calculations, Examples, etc. I have defined AutoText entries for each of the variations that can occur for each of the sections. For example, there are AutoText entries for RequirementsA, RequirementsB, AssumptionsA, etc. Thanks to one of the MVP websites, I now have a userform with 12 comboboxes that list out all of the AutoText entries, so ...

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Restricting Cell Format
Is there a way to restrict a cell to a certain format, such that the user cannot input other formats other than the preset one? For example: preset the cell to numeric, user cannot input text or dates. Many thanks. Data Validation can do that to an extent. It can restrict to a number, no text, but dates are just numbers, so that is a problem. See www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEF1D4A6-59D9-4ED5-B81D-4A747269972A@microsoft.com... >...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

Filtering out text with conditional formatting
hi there, I have a problem I need help with. I have a worksheet that has column with 13 digit long number in it. I want a formula (or is it conditional formatting) that will highligh the cell if the last 5 digits of the number are not �00000� The number is in text format and needs to stay that way� so I wa thinking there could be come way to examine the text .. I dunno� an ideas greatly appreciated� thanks -- bluebea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluebean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2595 View th...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...

Conditional Formatting with Style
Worksheet 1 has a dropdown list that uses a lookup function to retrieve data from Worksheet 2. There is one graph in Worksheet 1 that is based on the numbers retrieved. The problem we have is that the numbers in Worksheet 2 can be dollars or percentages or numbers. The graph on Worksheet 1 will always reflect the formatting that is in Worksheet 1, of course...so it needs to be changed manually when the dropdown choice changes from a dollar field to a percentage field, from number to dollar, etc. I've tried conditional formatting, but I don't think you can use it with Style. I'...

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

Server
Working in a large office we have recently replaced our exchange server. The new server has a different name fom the old one. For the vast majority of users this has not caused a problem. One user about once a week cannot open hois Outlook and the server name reverts back to the old server name. Please help ! ...