Report Server Security Settings Problem

I am unable to deploy a report to my local report server. On my Window
7 Professional machine the reporting service is running, I am in the
local administrators group on my machine, and I have administrator
rights on my SQL Server 2008 Standard installation (a full
installation).  When I attempt to deploy a report from Visual Studio
2008 it says I don't have sufficient permissions.  Also, when I browse
http://localhost/reports the page displays but I don't have the "Site
Settings" link. When I browse http://localhost/Reportserver I get "The
permissions granted to user '***' are insufficient for performing this
operation. (rsAccessDenied).   I have tried configuring Reporting
service to run under my account and added myself to the Report Server
User's group, with no results.  I've read a good deal but am stumped
on this.  What am I missing?  Thanks!
0
Skeptical

What you are missing is the enhanced security under Windows 7. Even though
you are administrator on the machine unless you run as administrator you
have reduced rights. What you need to do is to have VS run as administrator.
Do a right mouse click on the link and you will see an option run as
administrator. Take a shortcut for IE and do the same thing for that.

Then you can go into report manager with admin rights. You can add yourself
to the appropriate role so that you do not have to be recognized as being in
the administrators group.

By default RS comes with the administrators group having administrators
privileges in RS. To not have to run as administrator on Windows 7 you need
to add yourself to the role in RS.

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"Skeptical Inquirer" <wolf.ranger@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am unable to deploy a report to my local report server. On my Window
> 7 Professional machine the reporting service is running, I am in the
> local administrators group on my machine, and I have administrator
> rights on my SQL Server 2008 Standard installation (a full
> installation).  When I attempt to deploy a report from Visual Studio
> 2008 it says I don't have sufficient permissions.  Also, when I browse
> http://localhost/reports the page displays but I don't have the "Site
> Settings" link. When I browse http://localhost/Reportserver I get "The
> permissions granted to user '***' are insufficient for performing this
> operation. (rsAccessDenied).   I have tried configuring Reporting
> service to run under my account and added myself to the Report Server
> User's group, with no results.  I've read a good deal but am stumped
> on this.  What am I missing?  Thanks!

0
Bruce
2/19/2010 2:08:04 PM
On Feb 19, 8:08=A0am, "Bruce L-C  [MVP]" <bruce_lcNOS...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> What you are missing is the enhanced security under Windows 7. Even thoug=
> you are administrator on the machine unless you run as administrator you
> have reduced rights. What you need to do is to have VS run as administrat=
or.
> Do a right mouse click on the link and you will see an option run as
> administrator. Take a shortcut for IE and do the same thing for that.
>
> Then you can go into report manager with admin rights. You can add yourse=
lf
> to the appropriate role so that you do not have to be recognized as being=
 in
> the administrators group.
>
> By default RS comes with the administrators group having administrators
> privileges in RS. To not have to run as administrator on Windows 7 you ne=
ed
> to add yourself to the role in RS.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>
> "Skeptical Inquirer" <wolf.ran...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I am unable to deploy a report to my local report server. On my Window
> > 7 Professional machine the reporting service is running, I am in the
> > local administrators group on my machine, and I have administrator
> > rights on my SQL Server 2008 Standard installation (a full
> > installation). =A0When I attempt to deploy a report from Visual Studio
> > 2008 it says I don't have sufficient permissions. =A0Also, when I brows=
> >http://localhost/reportsthe page displays but I don't have the "Site
> > Settings" link. When I browsehttp://localhost/ReportserverI get "The
> > permissions granted to user '***' are insufficient for performing this
> > operation. (rsAccessDenied). =A0 I have tried configuring Reporting
> > service to run under my account and added myself to the Report Server
> > User's group, with no results. =A0I've read a good deal but am stumped
> > on this. =A0What am I missing? =A0Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Excellent!  Thanks a lot!
0
Skeptical

.swf problem...msc.
I can't get .swf videos to load from my Outlook Express program - actually they won't load from anywhere. I d/l a program that would play them if I did a save in the e-mail. I gave up on that. I didn't want an extra program on my system, and it was a pain in the ..... Also when I use Sun Java in Yahoo Euchre, each time I click on a table I the table comes up under the main grid of tables. If I use Microsoft VM all works well. Any ideas. Thank you, George Mooth wrote: > I can't get .swf videos to load from my Outlook Express > program Outlook Expres...

Need more Reports

Outbox Problem!!!!!
Hi,. i am currently using Outlook 2003. Its preety fine but today i tried to send an attchment of 13 MB from my company's id. now the problem is the mail is creeping ni my outbox and not going. I tried to delete the attachment but its not getting deleted. i can recieve mails but the problwem is that i cant send any mails. Pls tell me how can i delete it! its creating a big fuss! Thanks a lot in advance! Jim India ...

Set AD account to never lock out?
Hi, Is it possible to make an AD account never lock out like the admin user account? Thanks Hello Whiteford, Configure the Account lockout settings so the domain accounts wan't lock. Basically the Administrator also will lock, but it automatically unlocks so you wan't realize it and AFAIK this cannot be done for other accounts. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mu...

Interesting problem in Money 2005 and MSN link
Money 2005 Premium. I swore I'd never link to MSN on the web but yesterday somehow got there by trying to set up an MBNA card. I finally figured it wasn't worth it so I removed everything - passport and all data. Here is the interesting thing. Previously, my mny file was 46MB after a shrink. After removing everything, it shrank to 41MB. I didn't really care since I had a backup but I decided to explore further. In putting everything through MSN and then disabling it all, it reversed the sign on 2 transactions (one in 1998, the other in 2003) but nothing else was touched. All 22,...

IF formula problem
I need to add categories to a downloaded bank statement. I would use something like Pascal's CASE formula: CASE(lookup value)= a: do x b: do y c: do z etc... Excel doesn't have such formula. Therefore, I use the following nested IF formula: =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$2,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$3,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$4,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$5,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$6,B73)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH('Netbank Cat names'!$A$7,B73)),"&...

Sales Report #3

W-2 Tax Reporting Figures Not Accurate

Blank networth reports

Outlook XP communicating with non existing exchange 2000 server
Hi!! We are having a bit of a problem with Outlook. It is trying to communicate with an old non-existing exchange server. Earlier (about 6 months back), we used to use that server, but since then we added a new server and moved all the accounts to the new one. There might be one/two inactive accounts on the old server. I'm unable to ascertain why Outlook is trying to communicate with that old server. All our machines point to the new server. I looked at all the settings on outlook and it doesn't point to the old server anwhere. Is there something that I missed on Outlook settings th...

eXtender SOP Reports

Advance Payroll
We use the Overtime Calculations in Advenced Payroll. The problem is when we set up a new employee and assign them to a class, the OT paycode gets set up automatically, but the calculation method doesn't. So the employee is set up with their overtime rate the same as the regular rate. Is there a way to have the overtime calculation method set up automatically or are we stuck with having to go to the OT paycode and adding the calculation method? Thanks for any feedback. ...

Reports are not being shown MM07

DDE Server Window: OUTLOOK.EXE entry point not found
I have Office2000 SR-1 and SR-2 installed on my XP. Recently I uninstalled an application, WinForms. After that I has problem with Outlook. It always pop up a windown "DDE Server Window: OUTLOOK.EXE entry point not found" with the following message: The procedure entry point EndDefe?WindowPos could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll. The "?" is a symbol that cannot be keyed in. Has anyone experienced the same problem, thank a lot for any pointer. -Wei ...

Saving Reports

One client (Server 2k8-R2/HyperV) will not sync with DPM
We have been running DPM successfully for about a year now without any major problems. Recently we added a new server - a fairly robust PowerEdge that will be housing 4 HyperV VMs. For whatever reason, I can't get anything but the HyperV "Initial Store" to sync correctly. I thought initially it might be a problem with the HyperV machines, but it also fails to back up a small directory of files on the host drive. The oddest part about this is I really don't get an error. It will try an initial sync and run for a day or two and show very minimal data tr...

Problem with Space indent settings in Word 2002
Hello everyone, For the longest time I've been living with this problem, where as I'll be typing along just fine and when the text gets to the end of the line at the set margin, it Returns down normally to the next line down to continue whatever I'm typing. However, if I go Home to the beginning of a written line and want to move it in a few spaces using the Space bar, the line won't move forward. Tab will move it forward but that's too far forward. I just want a couple spaces or however many I need to indent at a given moment. How do I tun off whatever it is...

small business reports ...

Auto Set PO to Release
Has anyone attempted to set up PO's to autoset to release when you submit them rather than either printing them or maunally changing the status? -- Ken Chilton MIS Manager/Inventory Control Ken wrote: > Has anyone attempted to set up PO's to autoset to release when you submit > them rather than either printing them or maunally changing the status? > -- > Ken Chilton > MIS Manager/Inventory Control This feature was built for business rules and the assumption is that a PO is a contract and if you have not printed it ...it's not released. There may be an option for ...

set control's property at runtime
Why there's no "visible" and "caption" properties for the class of some dialog controls? How to set the visibility and caption of dialog's controls at runtime? For example, the visibility and caption of a button control couldn't be set at runtime as there's no "visible" and "caption" property for CButton class. Thanks in advance. yabing you can use SetWindowText(csCaption) method to change the Caption of any window like wise use ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) for changing the visibility of any window. CWnd is the base class for all the ...