Using ODBC to connect Access 2003 to sql server 2005 express

Hi,

I am trying to join a access to my sql server.  I made the ODBC
connection ok and was able to bring the table up in Access, but.
All the fields had #deleted in them.  When I added new data in access,
it should up on my sql server ok, but if I refresh the access spread
sheet, the new data I entered got replace with #deleted.

I did some resercah and found a comment about Access not knowing the
key index, I open it in design vue and it had the key logo next to the
id column.

I need help!!!!!
-Ted
0
tedpottel

Answer:  Chances are you are linking to a table that either does not have a
primary key or Access does not recognize the primary key.

Try deleting the linked table and relinking it. A window should appear that
allows you to select the fields that identify the unique records.
Select the fields that make up the primary key or if in doubt, select the
first 10 fields. Access will not let you choose more than 10 fields to
identify the primary key.

--
Brian Conner

Brian
12/29/2009 5:02:17 PM
See if the following KB article helps solve the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128809

--Mary

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:46:52 -0800 (PST), tedpottel
<tedpottel@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to join a access to my sql server.  I made the ODBC
>connection ok and was able to bring the table up in Access, but.
>All the fields had #deleted in them.  When I added new data in access,
>it should up on my sql server ok, but if I refresh the access spread
>sheet, the new data I entered got replace with #deleted.
>
>I did some resercah and found a comment about Access not knowing the
>key index, I open it in design vue and it had the key logo next to the
>id column.
>
>I need help!!!!!
>-Ted
0
Mary
12/29/2009 5:13:13 PM
On Dec 29, 12:02=A0pm, "Brian Conner via SQLMonster.com" <u47161@uwe>
wrote:
> Answer: =A0Chances are you are linking to a table that either does not ha=
ve a
> primary key or Access does not recognize the primary key.
>
> Try deleting the linked table and relinking it. A window should appear th=
at
> allows you to select the fields that identify the unique records.
> Select the fields that make up the primary key or if in doubt, select the
> first 10 fields. Access will not let you choose more than 10 fields to
> identify the primary key.
>
> tedpottel wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >I am trying to join a access to my sql server. =A0I made the ODBC
> >connection ok and was able to bring the table up in Access, but.
> >All the fields had #deleted in them. =A0When I added new data in access,
> >it should up on my sql server ok, but if I refresh the access spread
> >sheet, the new data I entered got replace with #deleted.
>
> >I did some resercah and found a comment about Access not knowing the
> >key index, I open it in design vue and it had the key logo next to the
> >id column.
>
> >I need help!!!!!
> >-Ted
>
> --
> Brian Conner

x/sql-server-programming/2009...

Thank you for your help,
it seems like access does not like a bigint for the key value, chnage
all my indexes to int and it works fine!!

0
tedpottel
12/30/2009 8:43:23 PM
On Dec 29, 12:13=A0pm, "Mary Chipman [MSFT]"
<mc...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> See if the following KB article helps solve the problem:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128809
>
> --Mary
>
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:46:52 -0800 (PST), tedpottel
>

> <tedpot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >I am trying to join a access to my sql server. =A0I made the ODBC
> >connection ok and was able to bring the table up in Access, but.
> >All the fields had #deleted in them. =A0When I added new data in access,
> >it should up on my sql server ok, but if I refresh the access spread
> >sheet, the new data I entered got replace with #deleted.
>
> >I did some resercah and found a comment about Access not knowing the
> >key index, I open it in design vue and it had the key logo next to the
> >id column.
>
> >I need help!!!!!
> >-Ted- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your help,
it seems like access does not like a bigint for the key value, chnage
all my indexes to int and it works fine!!
0
tedpottel

HTML edit for email template in Outlook 2003
If I'm editing new mail, I can set MS Word as editor and use script editor to access the HTML source. Now I'm creating a template for the autoreply, and it doesn't offer a choice to switch to MS Word. What should I do to edit the mail template content then? -- If you want to mail to me, please replace all instance of "e" to "a" in my email address. Thank you. Sorry for any inconvience caused, but there's many spam-mailers. ...

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Problems with accessing Reports in CRM 3.0

oUTLOOK 2003 12-16-09
I bought a new pc with Vista os and set up my email account. I hit send receive and the start dat is going back to January 2009 and over 8,000 emails need to be received. How can I change this so it only downloads last 15-30 days? Thanks Bill It all depends on which account type you are using. If you are using POP3, move all the messages that you do not wish to download to a separate folder on the server and then start Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, ...

Permission for users to view/access GP 10 Business Portal
I need to know how to grant permissions for a user group to access/view/read all content of BP installed in a MOSS 2007 I created a group called "Dynamics BP User Group I" in Sharepoint web application (http://webportal - top level) All users in this group can access http://webportal OK Then I granted this group "READ - Can view only" access to BP site http://webportal/BP They got "an unexpected error occured" in return. Where else do I have to look into to give them the proper access? Thanks Bill ...

Exchange 2003 removing Internet Headers on incoming mail
Our exchange 2003 server strips out the internet headers. We have a catchall internet mailbox which is collected by exchange POP3 and then forwarded to all internal mailboxes by virtual SMTP. Is there a setting to prevent the headers being stripped out? At first I though it was Outlook 2003, but I've enabled the DWORD registry setting "SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders" which shows only the internal receipt into virtual SMTP and nothing else. Regards Anthony On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:58:19 +0100, "Anthony Hunt" <ach@kl2.com> wrote: >Our exchange 2003 server ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

SBS 2003 + Terminal Server
Our company is in process to implement Great Plains and MS Solutions Partner suggested next configuration: 1 server - WS 2003 standart (Terminal Server) 2 server - WS 2003 Standart + SQL 2000. Is it possible to use on server 2 Small Business Server 2003 Premium ? What about problems with domain? Regards, I do not believe it is possible to have two machines running Windows SBS 2003 because each machine will want to be the domain controller. I think you'd be better off with: Machine 1: Windows 2003 with Terminal Services Machine 2: Windows 2003 with SQL Server. This machine can also...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Can't restore Outlook 2003 from the notification area (Windows XP Pro)
If I minimise Outlook to the systray, and then attempt to restore it at a later time I receive the following message in an XP balloon. "Outlook is not responding. If you are using an Exchange server email account you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu. " I am not using Exchange, therefore I don't have the option to cancel server requests - this is a standalone system - it's not even networked! How do I resolve this? I have to restart the system to get it ru...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Excel Pivot Table with Access
I have Excel Pivot Tables that link to an access database to pull only certain info. I would like users to be able to update their individual pivot table without being able to change the query to include additional information. When I disable pivot table use, the pivot table won't update on open. Thanks for any help. -- Jack ...

Allow temporarily use of right click

Somebody else accessing exchange mailbox ?
A member of staff has reason to believe that his/her email has been accessed by another party. They insist that nobody else knows their username/password. Is it possible to log access to the mailbox, maybe by IP address for example ? any ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance Gary D Almost impossible to do. An event 1013 is logged when someone accesses another person's mailbox but there are lots of valide reasons for a 1013. So even if you noticed it happening then it would not carry much wait. Also, if the password is secret how would they be accessing it? Checking permiss...