Stored procedure timeout

Hello,i have a stored procedure that is called from an ASP.net page
and it takes
about 2 minutes to execute. When I run it from QA it takes about 10
seconds. the procedure which is not recompiled and it is in procedure
cache.
Thanks for your help.
Jose Nadim
0
Jose

Hi Jose,

It will probably be a bad plan in procedure cache.

add "WITH RECOMPILE" to the stored procedure definition...

create proc blah
    with recompile
as

Does that fix the problem?

If that fixes the problem then the original problem was caused by "parameter
sniffing" and an original call to the stored procedure with a given value
skewing the data causing a plan that is now being reused to be created - a
plan that is grossly inefficient for the second query you are running.

Tony.

"Jose Nadim" <josenadim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,i have a stored procedure that is called from an ASP.net page
> and it takes
> about 2 minutes to execute. When I run it from QA it takes about 10
> seconds. the procedure which is not recompiled and it is in procedure
> cache.
> Thanks for your help.
> Jose Nadim

0
Tony
6/16/2010 4:38:53 AM
Hi Tony !,
I will read about of parameter sniffing; and  i forget how is create
my sp : (exec to  25 sotred procedures)
ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[Proc_Consultas]
	-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
	@fecha1  as datetime,
	@fecha2  as datetime,
	@codisec as char(2),
	@codiest as char(2),
	@coditra as char(2),
	@codipat as char(3),
	@funcion as char(12),
	@combo as char(1),
	@markmue as char(1)
AS
BEGIN

	SET NOCOUNT ON;
	SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED
	if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSA'
		EXEC PROC_DOCCONSA @fecha1,@fecha2,@coditra,@combo
	ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSRECA'
		EXEC PROCDOCCONSRECA @fecha1,@fecha2,@combo
	ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSINCA'
		EXEC PROCDOCCONSINCA @fecha1,@fecha2,@combo

	ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSA1'
		EXEC PROCDOCCONSA1 @fecha1,@fecha2,@coditra,@combo
	ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSBA'
		EXEC PROCDOCCONBA @fecha1,@fecha2
	ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSAU'
		EXEC PROCDOCCONSAU @fecha1,@fecha2
etc,etc,etc
END

thanks

On 15 jun, 23:38, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyroger...@torver.net> wrote:
> Hi Jose,
>
> It will probably be a bad plan in procedure cache.
>
> add "WITH RECOMPILE" to the stored procedure definition...
>
> create proc blah
> =A0 =A0 with recompile
> as
>
> Does that fix the problem?
>
> If that fixes the problem then the original problem was caused by "parame=
ter
> sniffing" and an original call to the stored procedure with a given value
> skewing the data causing a plan that is now being reused to be created - =
> plan that is grossly inefficient for the second query you are running.
>
> Tony.
>
> "Jose Nadim" <josena...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,i have a stored procedure that is called from an ASP.net page
> > and it takes
> > about 2 minutes to execute. When I run it from QA it takes about 10
> > seconds. the procedure which is not recompiled and it is in procedure
> > cache.
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Jose Nadim- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>
> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

0
Jose
6/16/2010 2:43:17 PM
Start by using SQL Profiler to isolate the slow sql statement. You will
need the SP:StmtCompleted event at a minimum.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

0
Bob
6/16/2010 2:49:50 PM
Hi Bob, on profiler :
1. QA ok             10 seconds
2. Web page asp   2 minutes

And i put WITH RECOMPILE on my second stored procedure  and it
works !!
but i dont understand the executions time from client application  :
QA its OK and web pages is bad
the time should be same on both client applications,because the sotred
procedure is on the server.

thanks

Jose Nadim

On 16 jun, 09:49, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:
> Start by using SQL Profiler to isolate the slow sql statement. You will
> need the SP:StmtCompleted event at a minimum.
>

> Jose Nadim wrote:
> > Hi Tony !,
> > I will read about of parameter sniffing; and =A0i forget how is create
> > my sp : (exec to =A025 sotred procedures)
> > ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[Proc_Consultas]
> > -- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
> > @fecha1 =A0as datetime,
> > @fecha2 =A0as datetime,
> > @codisec as char(2),
> > @codiest as char(2),
> > @coditra as char(2),
> > @codipat as char(3),
> > @funcion as char(12),
> > @combo as char(1),
> > @markmue as char(1)
> > AS
> > BEGIN
>
> > SET NOCOUNT ON;
> > SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED
> > if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSA'
> > EXEC PROC_DOCCONSA @fecha1,@fecha2,@coditra,@combo
> > ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSRECA'
> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSRECA @fecha1,@fecha2,@combo
> > ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSINCA'
> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSINCA @fecha1,@fecha2,@combo
>
> > ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSA1'
> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSA1 @fecha1,@fecha2,@coditra,@combo
> > ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSBA'
> > EXEC PROCDOCCONBA @fecha1,@fecha2
> > ELSE if @funcion =3D 'DOCCONSAU'
> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSAU @fecha1,@fecha2
> > etc,etc,etc
> > END
>
> > thanks
>
> > On 15 jun, 23:38, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyroger...@torver.net> wrote:
> >> Hi Jose,
>
> >> It will probably be a bad plan in procedure cache.
>
> >> add "WITH RECOMPILE" to the stored procedure definition...
>
> >> create proc blah
> >> with recompile
> >> as
>
> >> Does that fix the problem?
>
> >> If that fixes the problem then the original problem was caused by
> >> "parameter sniffing" and an original call to the stored procedure
> >> with a given value skewing the data causing a plan that is now being
> >> reused to be created - a plan that is grossly inefficient for the
> >> second query you are running.
>
> >> Tony.
>
> >> "Jose Nadim" <josena...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> - Mostrar texto de la cita -
>
> --
> HTH,
> Bob Barrows- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>
> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

0
Jose
6/16/2010 3:28:44 PM
There will be different ANSI settings or language or something else between
QA and the web app hence they will be different plans.

If you really want to work out where the problem is happening you need to
use sql profiler like Bob suggests to track to the statement causing all the
time, you can then add OPTION ( RECOMPILE ) to that specific statement - so
long as you are using the latest CU and service packs - what version you on?

> Hi Bob, on profiler :
> 1. QA ok             10 seconds
> 2. Web page asp   2 minutes
>
> And i put WITH RECOMPILE on my second stored procedure  and it
> works !!
> but i dont understand the executions time from client application  :
> QA its OK and web pages is bad
> the time should be same on both client applications,because the sotred
> procedure is on the server.
>
> thanks
>
> Jose Nadim
>

> On 16 jun, 09:49, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:
>> Start by using SQL Profiler to isolate the slow sql statement. You will
>> need the SP:StmtCompleted event at a minimum.
>>

>> Jose Nadim wrote:
>> > Hi Tony !,
>> > I will read about of parameter sniffing; and  i forget how is create
>> > my sp : (exec to  25 sotred procedures)
>> > ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[Proc_Consultas]
>> > -- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
>> > @fecha1  as datetime,
>> > @fecha2  as datetime,
>> > @codisec as char(2),
>> > @codiest as char(2),
>> > @coditra as char(2),
>> > @codipat as char(3),
>> > @funcion as char(12),
>> > @combo as char(1),
>> > @markmue as char(1)
>> > AS
>> > BEGIN
>>
>> > SET NOCOUNT ON;
>> > SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED
>> > if @funcion = 'DOCCONSA'
>> > EXEC PROC_DOCCONSA @fecha1,@fecha2,@coditra,@combo
>> > ELSE if @funcion = 'DOCCONSRECA'
>> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSRECA @fecha1,@fecha2,@combo
>> > ELSE if @funcion = 'DOCCONSINCA'
>> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSINCA @fecha1,@fecha2,@combo
>>
>> > ELSE if @funcion = 'DOCCONSA1'
>> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSA1 @fecha1,@fecha2,@coditra,@combo
>> > ELSE if @funcion = 'DOCCONSBA'
>> > EXEC PROCDOCCONBA @fecha1,@fecha2
>> > ELSE if @funcion = 'DOCCONSAU'
>> > EXEC PROCDOCCONSAU @fecha1,@fecha2
>> > etc,etc,etc
>> > END
>>
>> > thanks

>> --
>> HTH,
>> Bob Barrows- Ocultar texto de la cita -
>>
>> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

0
Tony
6/16/2010 4:22:55 PM
Jose Nadim (josenadim@gmail.com) writes:
> Hi Bob, on profiler :
> 1. QA ok             10 seconds
> 2. Web page asp   2 minutes
>
> And i put WITH RECOMPILE on my second stored procedure  and it
> works !!
> but i dont understand the executions time from client application  :
> QA its OK and web pages is bad
> the time should be same on both client applications,because the sotred
> procedure is on the server.

Typically QA and the application will use different cache entries,
because QA by default runs with SET ARITHABORT ON, whereas an in application
ARITHABORT by default is OFF.

The root problem is a parameter sniffing issue, but it certainly very
confusing to see these different execution times.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
6/17/2010 11:12:44 AM
Hi all ,thanks for your comments ; i will change the sotred procedure
to avoid parameter sniffing and i will be watching for.
thanks again for your help.
Jose Nadim

On 17 jun, 06:12, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> Jose Nadim (josena...@gmail.com) writes:
> > Hi Bob, on profiler :
> > 1. QA ok =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 10 seconds
> > 2. Web page asp =A0 2 minutes
>
> > And i put WITH RECOMPILE on my second stored procedure =A0and it
> > works !!
> > but i dont understand the executions time from client application =A0:
> > QA its OK and web pages is bad
> > the time should be same on both client applications,because the sotred
> > procedure is on the server.
>
> Typically QA and the application will use different cache entries,
> because QA by default runs with SET ARITHABORT ON, whereas an in applicat=
ion
> ARITHABORT by default is OFF.
>
> The root problem is a parameter sniffing issue, but it certainly very
> confusing to see these different execution times.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.msp=

Jose
6/17/2010 7:33:10 PM
Jose Nadim (josenadim@gmail.com) writes:
> Hi all ,thanks for your comments ; i will change the sotred procedure
> to avoid parameter sniffing and i will be watching for.

Note that parameter sniffing is not an evil in itself. Without parameter
sniffing, SQL Server would certainly perform a lot worse. But, yes, there
are situation when it backfires.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

Proper procedure when inactivating a user
I have inactived the user using the sbs console however the user still shows up in my global address list. How do I remove them? thanks Not sure what version you have, but in 5.5, you open the properties of the account and on the advanced page select to "hide" the name from the GAL. This does nothing to any distribution lists. The userid will continue to receive e-mails, so you need to remove them from and distribution lists............ -- Regards, Hank Arnold "Melanie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2c1c01c3e14d$00719140$a401280a@...

Exch 2003 store.exe terminates when ESM Replication Status selected
Exch 2003 SP1 on W2K SP4 - had been 5.5 until moving to Exch 2K swing server. 5.5 removed and Exch 2003 SP1 installed, seemingly OK. Weird problem - if I click on ESM->Administrative groups-> group ->Servers-> server->First Storage Group->Public Folder Store(server) and then click on Replication Status, after a delay I recieve a popup saying, "An error occurred while retrieving the requested information. The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is not running or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is unavailable. ID no: c103047d Exchange System Manager...

Stored Procedure error message
Hi, I have written scipt in Dex to create tables. After I have added chunk file, tables are creating properly. But the issue is after login into Great Plains I am getting the following error "The Stored Procedure GrantAccess() of form Sql maintenance : 69: pass through Sql returned the following results :DBMS :15151, Microsoft Dynamics GP:0" Any Idea Please... Jack Hi Friends, I got the solution my slef and issue has resolved.. Thanks, Jack "Jack" wrote: > Hi, > > I have written scipt in Dex to create tables. After I have added chunk file, > table...

Multi Store Vouchers
I do not see a way for this to work. I want to be able to give out store credit to our customers but there does not seem a way to make this work for multiple stores. In a single store setup everything is stored in the Voucher table. These vouchers are uploaded during the HQ synchronization but each store does not have access to other stores voucher's. Does anyone have any insight on how I could get this resolved? Thanks, Dan I take it you are trying to issue Store Credit for returns, not actually trying to implement a voucher system for gift cards/certificates. If this is corre...

HQ/Store date mismatch
We just deployed our 3rd store and eveyrthing was working fine, transactions were being uploaded and everything. Then, the store ops DB computer got moved, and I guess at some point someone changed the date on the computer to be a month in advance. Now, all of our transactions from 4/25/2006 to 4/27/2006 are actually in the DB as 5/25/2006 to 5/27/2006. I just discovered the problem and changed the date on the Store Ops machine, but I don't know what the best way to fix these transactions is, or if it is even possible. What I'd like to do is go change all of these transac...

Average Sales per Store
Need help modifying the RMS "Average Sales per Store" report that is found in CustomerSource. Would like to add filters for Department and Category if possible. I have tried to modify it myself, but I'm a beginner at this and I keep coming up short. One other thing that may be useful is if it can summarize by date also - would be nice to see how the values change over the course of a week or so. "Jason Kelton" wrote: > Need help modifying the RMS "Average Sales per Store" report that is found in > CustomerSource. Would like to add filters for D...

Outlook XP autofill To field
Outlook XP ... When typing in names in the To field of new messages Outlook will start to show names that have either already been typed, sent to or appear in the Contact list. Where is this "autofill" list kept? Is it user accessible? I'd like to get rid of some of the names that are not already in my Contacts. You can just use the down arrow key to highlight a name that is incorrect or whose address has changed and press delete. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding ...

Timeout in application
On some of our page we often receive an error indicating that the SQL Server timeout expired. I already have been looking at adding indexes to some of the tables, but I was also wondering if there is a way to extend the time before a timeout occurs? Many thank The following article describes how to increase the timeouts - note you need to run IISRESET after adding the registry keys http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918609 -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk "Geert M" wrote: > On some of our page we often receive an error in...

Store Credit multi Store
Good Day, Can someone give advice about how to set up Store Credits for a multi store enterprise. Currently the client use store credits/vouchers at store location only and can only redeem a Store Credit where it was issued. We would like to set it up so that they can redeem a store credit at any store location no matter where it was issued. Three stores connected via HQ. Thanks in Advance. I believe you can set up an account type and call it 'store credit' or something, then when you enter the new customer information for the person receiving store credit you simply assig...

Public Folder Store Present on Front-Ends
I ran the EXbpa and it said that it is recommended to dismount the Public folders stores on my front end severs. When I dismounted them mail started queueing up and did not start again until I mounted the stores. Why would this be when Microsoft recommends it and what does the PF store have to do with mail flow? I am running Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Tyson <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I ran the EXbpa and it said that it is recommended to dismount the Public >folders stores on my front end severs. When I dismounted them mail started >queueing up and did no...

Copying hotbuttons from store to store?
I have 10 hotbuttons set up in one of our stores and need to copy it to 8 other stores. Is there a certain file I can copy instead of remaking them for each store? Thanks ...

Custom views
I have vers 2002 SP2 When I open an prev backup outlook.pst file, everything seems to be there, including my custom print styles, EXCEPT MY CUSTOM VIEWS ARE MISSING FROM THE VIEW/CURRENT VIEW MENU! Are they not included in outlook.pst file? This has happened twice to me, once a couple of versions ago ...

New stores exported from HQ get original store's configuration....
In a headquarters / store operations environment, are configuration settings "centrally maintained data" that get exported from HQ when a new store is created from HQ? In other words, do the new stores get the configuration settings assigned to the first store in store ops manager - file - configuration - accounts/ordering/inventory/options/etc tabs....? Thanks for any insights. the short answer is no. But it does get some (finding this out as we go). Inventory yes, Ordering dependson what you mean, accounts yes you can send that down, options no. "convoluted" w...

Restoring Exchange Store files to a new server
We had a major system crash this week but I was able to grab the entire exchsrv directory from the server. What files do I need to copy to the new server to get all of my exchange mail/public folders/etc loaded on the new server? Thanks, CJ What version of Exchange? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Curious Joe" <joebob.johnson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160176822.798021.310710@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > We had a major system crash this week but I was able to grab the entire > exchsrv director...

CFtpConnection::PutFile timeout
how can I make CFtpConnection::PutFile to terminate after some time regarding of the status of the transfer? I am looking for how to control the ftp operations so that they do not take longer than certain time. I have the option of doing them on a separate thread but, is there a way of doing with the CFtpConnection object itself? Thanks. "beluchin" <beluchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80CB01C9-D253-4DA8-B7EF-60B40C3E0A73@microsoft.com... > how can I make CFtpConnection::PutFile to terminate after some time > regarding > of the status of ...

default store for mailboxes?
I created a second mailbox store that I moved all of my users into except for the disabled accounts and the Admin account. I created a user in AD "Users and Computers", but the user isn't showing up in either store under the Exchange Admin tool. Do I need to specify which store is the default for newly created users? (Exchange 2003 Enterprise) On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:16:02 -0800, Cwhitmore <Cwhitmore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I created a second mailbox store that I moved all of my users into except for >the disabled accounts and the Admin account. >...

Recreate stores on a/a/p 2003 cluster
After a SAN disaster (don't ask!) i've got member nodes and virtual servers up running with new disks, but all stores are unmounted as the files were lost during the crash. For a Legato Networker restore it seems that the database files are required to be present. What is the recommended way to recreate the .edb and .stm files? I'm not happy with running setup /disasterrecovery on an otherwise healthy cluster unless I have to. Ole Thomsen FUT: microsoft.public.exchange.clustering ...

Timeout/Out of memory
We have a CRM implementation with an unusually large number of Resource Groups (more than 10,000) as they are used for both skills and geographical breakup. The problem is that CRM's handliong of this is less than ideal in the System User dialog and whenever a user selected the "Resource Groups" related view or "Serivces" related view we get timeouts followed by an Out of Memory exception which kills the w3wp process. I have discovered from the logging that the system queries each group in the system in turn to see if the user is a member or not, one at a time. Not a...

Store Credit Without Sale
I have a 3 day special 5% off on all item, but I have some customers in the store with a credit that has $20 and it say's no special sale or discount with this store credit on any items. How do I override the 5% sale, so the customer won't get the discount on those days. Can anyone help. Do I need to put a barcode or do something. Hi Al - Scan the items, then go to shift f3 discount - select discount off RETAIL - percent zero - ok - this should remove the sale price from the receipt. Hope this helps... "al" wrote: > I have a 3 day special 5% off on all ...

Store
Sometimes happen in my server that Doctor Watson sayd me that the file store.exe has make an Access Violation (0xC0000005) at Address : 0x00424345 and block my service. Can you help me please ? Hi You might want to look at the article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;829418 But, I would also recommend calling your local Microsoft PSS. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "AAllegri" <AAllegri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02721E24-D212-4AFE-9604-1...

Information Store ????
My Information Store was about 20Gig when I took over as a admin, I put some restrictions on all users, delete bunch of mailboxes from inactive users, etc. Per my calculations my Information store should be about 12Gig, but is not, It's been over a week and it is still at 12Gig, what is going on; is there's somthing else I need to do, Thanks. the edb file will not shrink until you perform an offline defrag...but I wouldn't bother...Exchange is very good at reusing whitespace in the database... "mark olczyk" <molczyk@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eYUkBY44E...

Shoe Store & Store Ops
Any shoe stores out there using Store Ops? Pro's? Con's? -- Thanks! Jim Janke Emerald Business Systems Jim, We are not a shoe specific store, but we rock tons of shoes yearly. The only drawback we have experienced is adding shoe colors to existing shoe matricies. Our shoe lineup changes 3-5 times per year and many of the changes are adding new colors to existing shoe styles. It can be very time consuming to create the new items in all sizes, then add them to the existing matrix by size and color and keeping it true to the ItemLookupCode scheme for that matrix. I know there...

10x Conflict Message from Public Folder Store
Hi We have received 5+ duplicate messages (some with attached duplicate messages) in our public folder store. In addition 10 conflict messages sent to the public folder and all active directory users on the network. The source of the original message is legit (one of our printers informing the toner is low). Multiple edits have been made to "Event:BLACK TONER LOW". The conflicting edits have been attached to a conflict message in "Enquiry". I have disabled the printer from sending emails and have sent a test email to the public folder which arrived without problem. Wh...

image stored in a signature?
Is it possible to have an image (.jpg/.gif) in a signature, like a company logo after my name? Thanks in advance. Jerry Yes, but I would advise against it as it creates an attachment to all your emails! "Jerry Crosby" wrote: > Is it possible to have an image (.jpg/.gif) in a signature, like a company > logo after my name? > > Thanks in advance. > > Jerry > > > ...

Is this data stored somewhere? #2
If a user changes the qty ordered in SOP, is the original qty stored anywhere? No. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "MES" wrote: > If a user changes the qty ordered in SOP, is the original qty stored anywhere? Didn't think so. We can go with Audit Trails though to capture the changes..correct? "Mariano Gomez" wrote: > No. > > Best regards, > -- > MG.- > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP > Ma...