Sql Server / Access query source code

Is there any compatibility between the queries from Access and Sql Server?
Like I have a system that needs to migrate the database and the queries from
the source code, I can use DTS to migrate de database from Access to Sql
Server but what about the queries? Will Sql Server understand them or I'll
have to change it manually?

The answer is, it depends. Some query types are not supported, but
straightforward SELECT queries are essentially the same in Access-SQL
and Transact-SQL. However, if you use expressions, VBA functions, form
references or other Access features in your queries, then the answer
is no. The SQL Server engine has no way to evaluate those query
elements. Here are some resources that will help you.

Optimizing Microsoft Office Access Applications Linked to SQL Server

What are the main differences between Access and SQL Server?
http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspfaq.com/what-are-the-main-differences-between-access-and-sql-server.html

Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server (it's old, but still
valid except for the chapters on ADPs)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0672319446

Access MVP Armen Stein has some free resources on his site:
http://ow.ly/M58Y

In future, if you have any questions relating to Access as a front-end
to SQL Server, the Access newsgroups
(microsoft.public.access.externaldata, odbcclientsvr, or sqlupsizing)
will probably yield a wider range of responses.

--Mary

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:37:01 -0700, Rodrigo Santos
<RodrigoSantos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there any compatibility between the queries from Access and Sql Server?
>Like I have a system that needs to migrate the database and the queries from
>the source code, I can use DTS to migrate de database from Access to Sql
>Server but what about the queries? Will Sql Server understand them or I'll
>have to change it manually?
0
Mary

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

Cannot install the 3rd Exchange 2003 Server
Hi All, Please help me. I cannot install the 3rd exchange Server 2003 on windows server 2003 Std with SP1 and without SP1. My AD is Server 2003 with SP1. The other 2 Exchange Server is 2003 std with SP2. During installing a new Exchange computer into the organization, I receive the following error message: Setup failed while installing sub-component Site Replication Service with error code 0xC007054B (please consult the installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again. And the log is have the following error: [19:50:13] DS or RPC is b...

IM ODBC MS Access 'read permissions' error
I am stumped. This is the first time I'm using IM with Access as the source; I never have any trouble with other sources but can't get this to work: I'm trying to set up IM using Access DB query as the source. I seem to be able to make the connection with the DB no problem as I can select from the list of tables from the datasource, however, IM is "unable to obtain column info..." with the following error returned by ODBC "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'qry...'." The login/pw I used in the ...

How can i create a query on text input to return closest match?
I would like to create a text based parameter which will return the closest match? e.g Drink is the search citeria, the search will look for the word drink in every record and bring up those with the closest match Can you explain what you mean by closest match? Looking for the word Drink in a field and returning all the records where "drink" is included in the field would be simple. Field: SomeFieldWithText Criteria: LIKE "*" & [Enter word] & "*" But if you wanted to enter DRINK and find Drink or Drank or Drunk or Dink or Rink Or Dunk or .... in...

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

sql summarizing help

Project Server Cube Build Issue
I think I screwed up the install order on the SQL DMO components. According to MSDN: " At this time, do not use the feature packs for SQL Server 2008 to install and download these components, as those files will not allow you to build cubes in SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services with Project Server 2007." However, I didn't read that carefully enough and installed the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects Collection instead of the 2005 version. Now I can't install the 2005 version even if I uninstall the 2008 version. The setup fails with the "highe...

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

Excel + Query Tutorial Recommended?
Can anyone recommend a good little online tutorial so that I can get started with manipulating my excel SQL queries. I have managed so far to link up excel to the database and pull out a table, add in some criteria (ie dates etc), applied a sort field and refresh. However I want to understand a bit more about how to pull out two tables and link them together, and this is where (as a beginner) I am getting stuck. I do not need an intense SQL certification course or anything like that, just a tutorial about how to edit and manipulate SQL queries in excel. If anyone can point me in th...

limit on new database query?
Hi I am trying to create an olap cube to export to another product, however when I use the new database query to bring the data into excel (from another excel table) I only get 1440 rows. Is there any reason or way to change this limitation? Thanks Doug ...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...

How to get source frame rate in VMR?
when I didn't use VMR to render video from a frame grabber, I use hr=IBasicVideo->get_AvgTimePerFrame(&fRate) to get the source frame rate. Now, I'm using VMR and this interface function just keeps failed(hr). Any other way to get the frame rate information? Thanks. I found one: IQualProp->get_AvgFrameRate(&dFrameRate) This one returns real-time frame rendering rate not the original stream rate. "Frank E Rogers" <syang@pelco.com> wrote in message news:uALxRl16DHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > when I didn't use VMR to render video from a fram...

Access 2007 interface, modifications?
Hi, I'm just learning Access (using 2007) and one thing that troubles me a bit (aside from learning sub-queries) is "menu-system" in Access. In fact, even if I use a "custom menu, with sub-groups" it feels cluttered. 1. One thing that would really help would be if I could use more than 1 level in menu, that is, a second or even third would allow me to hide a lot of objects (tables, queries and forms). Does anyone know if that's doable? 2. If anyone of you has some other tips on how to make the working (developer) interface more efficient I'm all ears! :&...

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

Server
Working in a large office we have recently replaced our exchange server. The new server has a different name fom the old one. For the vast majority of users this has not caused a problem. One user about once a week cannot open hois Outlook and the server name reverts back to the old server name. Please help ! ...

Pass-Through Query / Multiple ODBC Connections
When creating a Pass-Through Query, is there a way to create two or more “ODBC Connect Str”s in the Property Sheet? ODBC;DSN=DMH_Hub;Description=DMH_Hub on MZPRODEDWADHOC;UID=mzbrosb;DATABASE=DMH_Hub;Trusted_Connection=Yes ODBC;DSN=DW1;Description=DW1 on MZPRODDW;UID=mzbrosb;Trusted_Connection=Yes Or better yet, is there a way to specify the connection of the query to automatically be whatever connection the linked tables are using? -- Tyro from Missouri Pass-through queries run on the server, not in Access, therefore unless the DBMS you're using on that server suppo...

Can someone tell me some newsgroup server about AI or datamining?
Hi, all I am sorry to post my question here, but i really need help from everyone here. I have googled for newsgroup talking about AI or dataming for a long time, however, it ends no result. Can someone show me any newsgroup servers just like msnews.microsoft.com, then I would post my question there and gather helps from those experts. Best wishes Hi, there are endless resources in the internet, you just have to look for the right words and places: http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/ http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/computer_science/artificial_intelligence/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artif...

Project Server 2007 Hotfix dated 2/23/10
Need help in trying to determine what is actually being fixed in the newest hotfix they are the following first and second items in the kb article. Also, could someone let me know what the note applies to as well (that is the first item or the second item or both). Thanks!!!! 1. You accept updates for assignments in Microsoft Office Project 2007. In this case, the values for actual work and for actual overtime work differ from the values submitted by the resources. When you save and then publish the project, the resource timesheet on the My Tasks page shows the same incorrect...

Can't Find File Error Code (C00D1197)
I’m using WMP version 11.0.6002.1811 on a Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2 operating system. I have successfully burned many CDs from my library. However, I’m now encountering an error message that indicates the burn can’t take place because the file can’t be found (error code C00D1197). This error makes no sense to me. The files are in my library and WMP can find the files to play them – so why can’t it find the files to burn them? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help and time! ...

Outlook access to mail servers blocked
For last two days I suddently been unable to down load any email via either my talk tal broadband or my vodaphone mobile connection the message i get is the same across 5 different POP3 servers Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' past post suggest the firewalls but had tried disabling them and its still the same - i know there is mail as i have it on my balckberry account - any ideas folks? I am r...

Excel vba autofilter code
I have some code to filter a result set to a list of unique names - is there something I can add that will also remove 'blank' entries ? Range("AP1:AP" & LastRowNewData).AdvancedFilter _ Action:=xlFilterCopy, _ CopyToRange:=Range("A44"), _ Unique:=True Thanks ...