SQL help string search

Hi,

Is there any easy way to search a column to see if it contains either a dash
or alpha character ?

Thanks !

0
Robbie

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 07:46:54 -0400, Robbie wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any easy way to search a column to see if it contains either a dash
>or alpha character ?
>
>Thanks !

Hi Robbie,

SELECT KeyColumn, SearchColumn
FROM   TheTable
WHERE  UPPER(SearchColumn) LIKE '%[A-Z-]%';

If your database uses a case insensitive collation, you can leave out
the UPPER function call.

--
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
My SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis

Tough One, trying to count occurences of string based on string in separate column
Hi, For every occurrence of a string in Column A, say "question2", I'd like to count the number of times the string "satisfied" appears in Column B for the same row. The answer would be 1 for the following data. i.e. "satisfied" occurs "1" time for all of "question2's. I would like to be able to add data and sort it and the formula still work. I would locate the data on a separate worksheet from the output of the formula. question1 not-satisfied question2 satisifed question1 not-satisfied question2 not-satisfied question1 ...

Receipt Printer Help!!
Can a Verifone 250 credit card receipt printer be used with RMS as a cash receipt printer? If so, what cable connectors would be needed to do this. The only cable connector we have goes to the credit card terminal. Kelly Why would you want to? Very slow printer!!!! Get a Samsung erp-350 or a 270. Probibly have to have a custom cable. >-----Original Message----- >Can a Verifone 250 credit card receipt printer be used >with RMS as a cash receipt printer? If so, what cable >connectors would be needed to do this. The only cable >connector we have goes to the credit card ...

Suspicion of CListCtrl memory leak, Help !
I have a testing MFC DialogBase project which has only one control -- ListCtrl. When the app exit , i found that the memory is not free by the system by watch the System Performance dialog page. All that i do is within CListCDlg::OnTimer() func, show as bellow: < code snippet> void CListCDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX) { CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX); //{{AFX_DATA_MAP(CListCDlg) DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_LIST1, m_MyList); //}}AFX_DATA_MAP } void CListCDlg::OnTimer(UINT nIDEvent) { TCHAR sContent[ 128 ]; //I have not alloc any data from heap, all the data added to CListCtl is ...

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

VLOOKUP help. Im an Excel Newbie!!1
I have an Invoice worksheet which I must use VLOOKUP function to import data such as customer name, customer code, customer address, etc. My study sheets didn't explain how to use VLOOKUP for obtaining data from different files. Basically on the Invoice worksheet, in the cell under customer code use the VLOOKUP function to enter the customers name (from the table on the customers worksheet). In the cell under customers name use VLOOKUP to enter customers address, in the cell under customers address use VLOOKUP to enter suburb,state and postcode (from customer worksheet). Then I need to...

Help with database
I need to create a database that lists companies, with dates items done by, money paid, notes etc. Thats okay, but I need to retain the previous years records and start a new year off fresh. How would I do that? Jenni, It sounds like you have never created a database so I'm going to suggest you start here... Jeff Conrad's resources page... http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html The Access Web resources page... http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html A free tutorial written by Crystal (MS Access MVP)... http://allenbrowne.com/casu...

Aarrgghh!!! Can send external mail but not receive it
My customer has one Exchange Server with 2 domains - I'll call them 'companyA.co.uk' and 'companyB.net'. The users for CompanyA are the same people as the users for CompanyB. There is a requirement for these users to send and receive email (they use Outlook) from both their 'companyA.co.uk' and their 'companyB.net' addresses. I acheived this by configuring 2 user accounts per user in Active Directory and then giving one user full control of the other, and by giving one user permissions to view/send as etc on behalf of the other. This worked fine for over...

i need help
i signed into windows live again. i used to have this email several months ago without a problem and one day i tried to log in and it kept telling me i had the wrong password i tried to reset it with out any luck. what can i do to log back into POP3 again? Live.com Settings: Server names and ports: POP3 = pop3.live.com Port = 995 SMTP = smtp.live.com Port = 587 Checkboxes you need to check include: Server Tab: "My server requires authentication" (Click "Settings" button also and fill in "Log on Using" email address - *** bu...

HTML Help Context Sens. Help in Dialogs
Hey folks, I've been able to add context-sensitive HTML Help to an MFC dialog box, but there's an annoying behavior that I'm wondering if there's a workaround for (or if it's a bug). Version is VS2008 (not SP1 beta). If I click the "Help Tool" on a particular button that I've got mapped to an HTML file, the wrong control help ID gets sent to the OnHelpInfo(HELPINFO* pHelpInfo) handler. Visually, when running the dialog, there appears to be a "cursor" of sorts that highlights one button at a time (focus?), and this cursor seems to respond to...

Major help needed!!!!
Hello, Just came across this problem today. I have a spreadsheet I've been using for over 2 years that was originally created in excel 97. We are now working with excel 2003. The error that occurs is when I copy a cell in the existing spreadsheet to a cell in a new spreadsheet, the date changes by 4 years and 1 day. ex: 10/21/04 becomes 10/20/00. However, If I open a new spreadsheet and place a date in a cell, copy that date, open another new spreadsheet and paste the cell into it then the date does not change. I'm taking it that it's because of my original spreadsheet being d...

Formulas
I have a huge database that I need to add fields and build a couple of formulas for those fields. Right now I have 3 months worth of data that I need to be able to report trending on. Within those 3 months, I have loan data breaking out how many loans have closed for a multitude of reasons. I need to trend how many each month close for those reasons and what they are as a percentage of the overall total of loans for that month. Any suggestions? To see how many closed in each month with each reason, you could just do a query that summarizes the data. I don't know what yo...

Help! #2
Hello, i have to program an application which should do the following 1. Receive the binary data on 2 channels. 2. each channel will store their corresponding data to a common file (july4.text) (each day 1 file will be created) 3. Each day the data received will be close to 30 MB of raw data (thought SQL will not be appropriate for this) 4. The data which is stored in a file will have around 5000 parameters.(ie: name,age,temperature,etc,etc) 5. MFC application to read/parse the specified data(queried like june20th to july2nd) and display it in graphical manner.(MS Chart?) 6. The parameters ...

Subquery help
I am trying to set a value in a variable and am getting the error "Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression." The set line it fails on is below. How can I work around this? Thanks. SET @FedWHAllow = (SELECT FedWHAllow FROM PayFreq WHERE PayFrequency = (SELECT PayFrequency FROM BranchPayrollGroups WHERE PayrollGroup = @PayrollGroup)); -- David You can change the WHERE clause predicate in the subquery to guarantee only a single row is returne...

Free & Busy Data messed up.. Plz Help!!
We have exchange v5.5. Recently one of the exchange admins was in the public folders messing around with permissions. He said he didn't change anything but something had to have changed because now all free and busy data, public address book, tasks, notes, etc are not accessible to new users. Any time we create a new email account they can't view there calendar (says it doesn't exist), nothing shows up in the global address list. Anytime they receive an email to accept a meeting it says unable to open item. I've done the usual things like reset the server. I loo...

Help needed urgently
Hi, Im trying to check that one row of data satifies a criteria, then if it does it counts an entry in another column adjescent to it. Example: - Column A - Column B Blay - Y Blay - N Blay - Y Chop - N Chop - N High - Y What i would be asking (of a much bigger table) is If Column A = Blaydon and then column B (same row) = Y, then count. In this example I would want 2 returned as the answer. Is this possible? Thanks -- Andy Try one of these... Use cells to hold the criteria: D2 = Blaydon E2 = Y If you're using Excel 2007 or later: =COUNTIFS(A2:A7,...

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

Vlookup help #2
I have two worksheets. Sheet 1 contains a number in column A and a name in column C. On Sheet 2 I put my data from a csv file. What I would like to do is vlookup Sheet 1 column C from the information on Sheet 2 and return the number in column A that is associated with the name in column C. Ex. Sheet 1 Sheet 2 A B C A B 33 N6-270-15 N6-270-75 35 34 N6-270-30 N...

SFO help
I have a quick question. My client's SFO button's wont install, and generally, their SFO installation is unstable. Given that we're hosting Exchange and CRM for the client and they're accessing our systems via VPN, does SFO work when their systems are not part of the domain that we've set up for them locally on our premises? Thanks!! Chris ...

sql summarizing help

amend a PO with a query? Please help!
Hello, Our new warehouse manager entered, received and committed a PO from the wrong vendor - over 100 items! Does anyone know a way to either reverse the PO or change the vendor? Please help!!!! Thank you! diana Diana, You can reverse the PO by opening it again in receiving mode. Use the Quick Scan button and add an item to the PO (any item). This will 'unlock' or re-open the PO. You can now delete the item you just added back off. Next you would enter the quantity 'Received to Date' of each item into the 'Quantity Received' column as a negative. Fo...

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Retrieve emails/addresses Help
I recently removed Windows XP and went back to Windows ME. Upon doing so I mistakingly lost all the emails and address updates made in Outlook Express made since I changed from Windows ME to XP (3 mths). Any ideas on how to retrieve those lost emails and addresses in Outlook Express? To go from XP to Me, you had to re-install the OS, which more than likely wiped out everything. Ray at work "phil horan" <philhoran@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:03ba01c3610e$904b3470$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I recently removed Windows XP and went back to Windows ME. > Upon doing so ...