sharing DBs between 2 instances on same box without linked servers

All,
I have two databases A and B on one pyhsical box called 'P'. I need to put
another instance of database A on same box. i can not have same database name
twice on same physical box twice so my solution was to create another
instance of sql server on same box and create database A on it. so now it
looks like this.

Physical box P has two DBs
-A and B

New instance of sql server on same physical box P has
- A (copy of DB A )

Both DB's  "A on physical box P and A on the new sql server instance" need
to share/join to single copy of B runing on physical box P. Is there a way to
do that without using linked servers?
Thanks
Siddharth

siddhath (siddhath@discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I have two databases A and B on one pyhsical box called 'P'. I need to
> put another instance of database A on same box. i can not have same
> database name twice on same physical box twice so my solution was to
> create another instance of sql server on same box and create database A
> on it. so now it looks like this.
>
> Physical box P has two DBs
> -A and B
>
> New instance of sql server on same physical box P has
> - A (copy of DB A )
>
> Both DB's  "A on physical box P and A on the new sql server instance"
> need to share/join to single copy of B runing on physical box P. Is
> there a way to do that without using linked servers?

Actually, two server instances can attach the same database file,
provided that the database is readonly on all servers. I don't remember
all details, but I think this was added in SQL 2008, and it may be
Enterprise Edition only.

I don't know why you think you cannot have to instances of A on the
same machine; if the database is hard-coded somehere, I would try to
fix that. But else, I think duplicating B is the best choice. If you
use linked servers, you will need to modify the queries. If B is
updated, replication can be a way to go.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland

Moving Exchange 5.5 on NT4 to new Windows 2000 Server.
This is my first post and I'm hoping to get a little advise. Hi. I need to move Exchange 5.5 running on NT4 Server(BDC) onto a new machine running Windows 2000 Server. The new server must have the same name as the NT4 server. There is no AD in the network as yet. Just a PDC and a BDC(current NT4 Exchange box), plus several member NT and 2000 boxes. The new hardware is not compatible with NT4, so I am forced to load Windows 2000 Server onto it. I'm familiar with the process of backup, restore, mailbox moving etc, but I do not know the consequence of doing a backup of Exchange on ...

error connecting to the server while send/receeive in progress
My AOL account was correctly added to Outlook, however I am trying to subscribe to other folders in my email and I am reveiving an error (0x800CCC0E) connecting to the server. How do I correct this? ...

look up #2
I will have column B which I needs to be either a "Yes" or "No" depending of what is entered in column C. There are 36 possibilities for column C. Can someone tell me the easiest way to auto fill "Yes" or "No" in column B? thank you "frank" <mrfrank73@aol.com> wrote in message news:098901c3c96d$14303df0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I will have column B which I needs to be either a "Yes" > or "No" depending of what is entered in column C. There > are 36 possibilities for column C. Can someone tell me > t...

Importing Contacts linked with accounts
Hi, I do not succed in importing contacts linked with accounts. I use the bulk import wizard tool. (I have 1000 contact to import) 1/ I import first accounts (name + adresses) 2/ Then I import contacts. I try to link contacts with the account name. (parent Account field). I try to link the contact with accounts using the name of "Parent Account" name. But this fails. I cannot import anything How can I create a link between Accounts and contact with the Bulk import wizard ? Thank you for your help. Pascal One way of doing this is to try something like this: 1. Go to SQL ...

Outlook 2003 Signature #2
I have setup multiple email accounts in Outlook. I have also assigned a signature to a non-default email account. If I set it for reply it works fine. However, I cannot get the signature to add to a new email message. It works for the default account, but not when I change the account to something other than the default. I think this used to work, but not now. Anyone with any ideas please reply by email. Thanks YOu need to turn on WordMail as your email editor. Tools | Options | Mail Format -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for...

Shared folders on a shared exchange 2003
I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the actual company. /C COZ <kofo@spamspamspam.org> wrote: >I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. >But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? >The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the >actual company. Make sure the "client permissions" you assign to the folder doesn't include the &...

Application does not launch in IE ? #2
Hello people, I have a user that launches IE and goes to the correct URL to sign in into CRM 4.0, just like all my other users do. He uses his correct credentials, tries to logon and then nothing happens. That is, he gets the request to log in again. No error message, nothing. Just the screen to sign in again like he just started. This is not a problem with the user itself, but rather with the PC - other users have the same problem on that PC and the application runs fine on other PC's. I know there is something that *does* work, since when I use the wrong credentials, I get an er...

copying formulas #2
how do I copy a formula in a column through 52 rows? I have a column of 52 rows into which I want a sum from about 10 other column's cells to appear. How do I copy this formula to keep the sum from the same 10 columns following down with appropriate row #s throughout the 52 rows? Hi, Show us your formula and an example of the data layout. Because normally you would just choose Copy and Paste or use the Fill Handle. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "spurge" <spurge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CF17062-48FE-4EFD-B454-877A0DA3FDC5@microsoft.com... > ...

Sharing Calendar, can you share contacts too?
We have an administrative secretary, who maintains 3 high level administrator's calendars... we use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003, she opens their shared calendars and edits them... Maybe I'm overlooking a really simple answer... but is there a way she could similarly edit their personal address books (they all use palm pilots and want their own individual contact lists).... Any ideas appreciated... Thanks! Sure, just need to delegate rights to those folders and she can "Open Other user's Folder" and choose Contacts. "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontg...

x-Axis values #2
I have to create a chart that has X-values 1 - 20000. They have to become more and more dense as the value grows. Distance between values has to decrease (as the values on x-axis grow). Ho to do it? Please help me... I will assume your x-values are in column A, y-values in B In C1 enter =IF(MOD(ROW(),100)=0,B1,NA() ) Then chart data in A against that in C - it will chart every 100th data point For more info see one of my book: "Microsoft Excel w nauce i technice" or "Microsoft Excel; w biznesie i zarzqdzaniu" published by Wydawnnictwo RM -- Bernard Liengme www.stf...

Shared Workbook Query
Hi, I have set up a shared workbook for 20+ users. I am aware that share workbooks in Excel (I have version 2002) have limited functionality an that you cannot for example merge cells. However, if there are merged cells in another worksheet and someon wants to copy across text (which includes merged cells) into the share workbook it removes the merged formatting. At present I have to take the share off the workbook and then cop across the data (which includes merged cells) then reshare the workboo so that the formatting is maintained. Is there any other way around this problem so that peo...

Text Box with conditional formula 11-26-09
Hey all, Is there a way to conditionally format a text box? I have a calendar that has text boxes associated with the cells and I want the text boxes to reformat when conditions are met. Thanks for your help, KR -- Keyrookie is it ok for your requirements? 1. select the cell A1, and press Alt > e > c 2. select any cell, hold down SHIFT key and press Alt > e > N 3. use this shape as a text box. 4. set the conditional format at the cell A1 according to your condition. HTH -- MRT "Keyrookie" <Keyrookie.553e869@excelbanter.com>...

Sharing Outlook between profiles?
I am running a 2k server (no exchange server) and need the laptops that connect into the domain to be able to view and send emails when connected, and when disconnected. The laptops have just been reloaded after using Novell. The advantage of the novell client was that it used the same local profile for connecting into the domain, and when using the workstation only. With the 2k server however, it uses one profile for the domain, and one for the local workstation. This is where Outlook 2000 is falling over... Please help... ...

inoperable link.
My home page has a link to a photo gallery. That page has thumbnails that work ok. The thumb page has a link for forward and a link to return home. It all works perfectly in design mode, and in the preview. When I go to my site, the home page appears, and the link to the photo gallery. Thumbs work, but forward links and return link do not even appear on the page. Bob Skye www.bobskye.com Remove all spaces from file names in your links - and make sure the links point to pages that exist in your site -- _____________________________________________ SBR @ ENJOY (-: ...

Running Average #2
How can I create a formula that creates a running average? Example... I have four column headings: Date, Weekly Pay, Weekly Average, Yearly Total. Each week I enter how much I'm paid in the Weekly Pay. The formula under Yearly Total is =IF(B2="","",N(D1)+B2), then I copy the formula down. The Weekly Average would simply be the grand total divided by the number of weeks. What would the formula look like? will this do? =AVERAGE($C$2:C2) copied down -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "John Persico" <replytogroup@nospam.com>...

Cannot share calendar
Hi I'm trying to setup a user so that she can view someone else's calendar. I have been able to give her access to other peoples calendars, however i can't give her access to one particular user. even though other people can access that particular users calendar. I have given her all the relevent permissions needed to do so in exchange 2000 and at the target machine, but still an error msg of "you do not have sufficiant permisions to view this item" is given. Don't know what else to do....HELP Thank you Don't grant permissions in the Exchange server its...

stopping the link of macros in one workbook with every other exce.

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

calender sharing
I recently upgraded to XP op sys and alongwith it to MS Office 2003. In MS Office 2000, I used to share my private Outlook folders (Calendar, Contacts etc.) with my assistant . With this upgrade to MS Office, I lost the sharing ability. If I right click on any of these components (Calendar, Contacts etc.) the "Sharing" feature is shaded (disabled). How do I share these private folders? If you are talking about NetFolders then this feature was dropped after Outlook 2000 check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for some options "KAH" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Will SBS 2008 work with HP Proliant DL380 G4 server
We are currently running sbs 2003 on an HP Proliant DL380 g4 we want install a fresh copy of SBS 2008 onto the DL380 G4, but HP does not list the DL380 G4 as a server platform that supports sbs 2008. (This is the PDF http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01479108/c01479108.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN ) It only lists the DL380 G5. According to Microsoft, it appears the DL380 G4 meets all the recommended requirements. We do not have a budget that will allow the purchase of a newer server. Will we be ok with the DL380 G4 or are we going to be missing some fun...

Outlook 2002 POP3 #2
I want to send emails only, using SMTP. Is it necessary I decalre a POP3 server? ...

Event ID 7010 between EX2003 servers
Hello. I have noticed this event in my log file: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: SMTP Protocol Event ID: 7010 Date: 12-05-2004 Time: 01:00:07 User: N/A Computer: EXGW Description: This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #122. The client at "10.192.0.11" sent a "xexch50" command, and the SMTP server responded with "504 Need to authenticate first ". The full command sent was "xexch50 2132 2". This will probably cause the connection to fail. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.c...

Filtered Rows #2
in the spreadsheet i am using filter and in one of the macros, i need to select the first visible row below the header. The header is at row 10. eg . row10: header row11 - 90: (filtered out, not viewable) row91: first visible row below row 10 i need the macro to select row 91 in this case how can i do that. -- shimeel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shimeel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15830 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=273638 You have one more response to ...

Connecting to a shared SSRS data source from BIDS
I'm just starting out using BIDS and creating reports in general. I've been using Report Builder and have no trouble accessing a shared SSRS data source by specifying the Report Server (http://<Server>/ReportServer) in the Options...Settings, from there I can view and use any predefined data source in a report. How do I specify in BIDS that I wish to use a preconfigured shared data source from SSRS, I can't see any obvious option. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks David David, Hopefully when you connect your report to a shared datasource in design t...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...