Preferred file group

Our application records transactional events (maybe 300K to 500K rows per
day) on a separate file group called HISTORY.  I was wondering if there are
performance considerations when creating indices on this history table.
That is, do I get a performance improvement if the index resides in the
default file group or if it resides in my HISTORY file group.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

0
Gary

Hi ary,

You can create a seprate file for the indexes, that would help as the
index read/writes would be from a seperate file.

Sriram
www.sqllike.com
0
yssr83
2/27/2010 11:42:36 AM
> Our application records transactional events (maybe 300K to 500K rows per
> day) on a separate file group called HISTORY.  I was wondering if there
> are
> performance considerations when creating indices on this history table.
> That is, do I get a performance improvement if the index resides in the
> default file group or if it resides in my HISTORY file group.

Separate filegroups for data and index can improve index create performance
if the underlying files reside on different spindles.  From an operational
performance perspective, it depends on how data are accessed.  Separate
filegroups for data and index can improve performance if you can isolate
sequential and random I/O on separate physical disks.  OTOH, separate
filegroups will won't improve performance if the files reside on the same
spindles or your workload is such that sequential and random I/O can't be
segregated.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

0
Dan

Error extracting files
I just downloaded internet explorer 8 and tried to open it and it brought up an error message saying entry point not found. What does this mean can anyone help me? Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0035_01CA9F6F.8652F3D0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="utf-8"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit "jcharrison05" <jcharrison05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5AC1544-77F1-4DA9-A16E-A4843776D6E6@microsoft.com... > I just downloaded internet explore...

Windows XP and Winzip Files Question
This may be the wrong group to ask this and if so I apologize. I am running Winzip under XP and every time I DL a .zip file it opens in Winzip instead of just letting me save it. How and where do I find setting or whatever to let me just save the .zip files?? TIA On 2/25/2010 7:28 AM On a whim, kraut pounded out on the keyboard > > This may be the wrong group to ask this and if so I apologize. > > I am running Winzip under XP and every time I DL a .zip file it opens > in Winzip instead of just letting me save it. How and where do I find > setting o...

Organizing .pst files
Does anyone know how to set Outlook to organize the files non-alphabetically? I want to have the folders that I use most at the top, and have other folders further down the list, however, Outlook won't let me organize all of the folders in any way other than alphabetically. You might want to read Microsoft Article 198469. I had to go this way to rename my Folders and keep the ones I like on top. Hope this helps Wes >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know how to set Outlook to organize the files >non-alphabetically? I want to have the folders that I use ...

Help: OL 2007 Deleting group Calendar events
Anybody know how to delete a group event from my calendar without sending a cancellation? The all previous versions of Outlook would prompt me about sending an update - I could choose to delete without sending an update - to allow me to bow out of the meeting that is still going to happen. Outlook 2007 doesn't seem to allow this or is it a matter of holding down a hot key or some other trick? Thanks for any advice. OL 2007 on Vista ...

Excel file open takes on picture file attribs Vista home edition
When I click open in excel in Vista home addition, the details to choose from to sort on are "Date taken" and "rating". These are not picture files, and its the Documents directory. Also the view in explorer is normal. Name, Date Modified, Size, and Type. Why does the open menu make the details look like picture files and how can I fix that so I can sort by date modified. Right click on the column header where it has file name, date taken or whatever. Select More Uncheck the boxes not required and check the ones required. Note all checked boxes are at the top of the l...

Trying to transfer data files from Money 3.1
Does anyone know how to transfer files in Money 3.1 to a new version of Money such as Money 2004. Would I have to purchase Money 98 convert one time and then purchase Money 2004 and convert again? My friend has Windows 3.0 and Money 3.1. She has over 10 years of checkbook files. Does this make sense? Please advise. Note: On Money 2004, it states that it does not go back further than Money 98. Thanks!!! If you're lucky you will be able to open your old Money file using the new product. Drop your old Money file onto the shortcut for Money 2004. >-----Original Message--...

When I open my file, another file appears??
I had 2 files open in Excel. I remember seing a message while closing the files and I thought it was 'Do you want to save file' but maybe it was something else and I answered 'Yes' to it. Now my original file is replaced by the other. How can that be? How can you send a file to another just by answering 'Yes'. I know one of my files had some links that I forgot to remove. I also did a restore file on our server but it made no changes. Please advise. Very stressed. Lynne Do the two files look like file.xls:1 and file.xls:2 ? If so, you two windows ope...

odd issue with word help file
i am programming word through access i have access 97 and word 2000 when i press f1 on the word code in msaccess i get this error cannot find c:\program files\microsoft office\office\VBAWRD9.CHM would you like to fine it yourself the file is located in c:\program files\microsoft office\office\1033 when i try to find it it only shows .HLP files i am guessing there is jack all i can do as office 97 uses hlp and office 2000 uses chm. so i am merely confirming that this is true or is there a solution. Regards Kelvan ...

Problem opening .exe files
Hi, I am unable to open any .exe files on my computer. If I try to open any .exe it brings me "Open With" window with the list of programs. But when I right click on exe file it gives me an option "start" which would launch me the application. How can I change the default double-click behaviour to launch the application? I am using Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! -- hihi7209 Sorry for opening up a new thread. After searching thoroughly in the forum, I was able to fix my issue. Please delete my thread. ...

how to download excel help preferably in the form of chm?
how to download excel help preferably in the form of chm? It comes as a chm file on your Excel CD. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "kang" <kang@hao.com> wrote in message news:uDSmhciEIHA.6120@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > how to download excel help preferably in the form of chm? ...

REading Publisher files burned to a CD
Copy the files to your hard drive. Publisher doesn't do well with removable media. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Bruno Ottavi" <bottavi@insight.rr.com> wrote in message news:dekVd.2395$3t3.1039@fe2.columbus.rr.com... > > ...

How do I keep from printing extra lines on a file in Excel
I am trying to print a file with out printing the extra lines that appear at the end. One of my files prints without the extra lines; the other one prints extra lines. I can't figure out the difference in the 2 files Have yo set the print range? "Verle" <Verle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF7FF1C8-7D63-4159-9968-582817313295@microsoft.com... > I am trying to print a file with out printing the extra lines that appear at > the end. One of my files prints without the extra lines; the other one > prints extra lines. I can't figure out the...

Backup Excel file

how to open pcx files
can anyone help me out to open pcx file in ms outlook2003 ...

Recover emails from a broken PST file.
Hi, I am putting this request in from a friend who has the following issue: I would like to know if anyone has access to the draft of the .pst specification/standard that Microsoft has promised to release early next year. I need this so that I can recover emails from a broken pst file. This file cannot be recovered with scanpst or linux tools such as those within the libpff library nor libpst. This file was carved out from a disk and perhaps not chained properly - i.e., may be not complete or contain improper clusters. I receive multiple errors in regards to wrong checksum as well...

Preferences
If I do the following: TOOLS > OPTIONS > Click the Preferences TBB > Click JOURNAL OPTIONS under Contacts. It then says: Automatically Record These Items Then it list MS Word, MS Excel, etc. If I check all these off does it mean that they are saved into the .pst file so that if I restore after backup everything will be there? -- Paul Ingram DNS SYSTEMS LIMITED (902) 488-3166 Web: www.dnssystemsltd.com Email: dnssystems@ns.sympatico.ca Hi Paul, What this means is that outlook will remember the link and store the date it was created, modified, etc. As for the file being apart...

Converting numbers to date format from csv files
I have data submitted as csv files which i have saved as excel spreadsheets. Problem is the dates in the csv file are 20020105 etc, I need to convert these to date format in order for me to calculate between sets of dates. All I get is ###### (it's not a case of the column being too short). Tearing my hair out Hi Select the column and use Data / Text to Columns. One of the dialog box steps allows you to tell Excel that the value is a date - and how it is laid out. I think it's the third box in and it says something like Column Data Format in the top right corner. -- Andy. &q...

WHERE ARE MY SPECIAL PREFERENCES SAVED IN EXCEL?
Could someone please tell me where my special setup choices and option choices are saved in Excel? Should my boot drive crash, it would be good to have a backup of such in the event of the need to reinstall. Thank you very much for any help in this matter. Jerry Jerry Excel.xlb (Toolbar customisations) Personal.xls (Macros that operate on any workbook), (Only there if you have saved macros to them) Book.xlt (Template to establish settings for new workbooks (Only exists is created, not normal Sheet.xlt (Template to establish settings for worksheets added to workbooks), (Only exists if c...

Huge Excel file
Hi I've got a huge Excel file (35 MB) that doesn't have much in it. I looked at a number of posts in this discussion area, and also looked at http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unuse http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.ht and a few other sites If I hit Ctrl-end I wind up at cell IM60591. The actual data ends at I54. If I try to delete all columns to the right of I it doesn't help. Similarly with rows. I searched for all types of special objects -- nothing except that when I searched for blanks it highlighted the areas that shouldn't exist. I tried deleting (not...

Printer Preference
Publisher Folks, I use Publisher 2000 (Windows XP) and the majority of my work is booklets, posters, ID cards, Name Tags, Postcards on a HP 970Cse. I'm about to replace the 970 with a HP 1200 dnt. Anyone using this printer and do you consider it a good choice? -- Don Vancouver, USA Don Schmidt wrote: || I use Publisher 2000 (Windows XP) and the majority of my work is || booklets, posters, ID cards, Name Tags, Postcards on a HP 970Cse. || I'm about to replace the 970 with a HP 1200 dnt. Anyone using this || printer and do you consider it a good choice? Well Don, I had a ni...

File Attachment #3
When a file is sent as an attachment in Outlook Express, it appears in the "Attach" field right below the "Subject" field when the message is viewed in the "Sent Items" folder by the sender or in the "In Box" by the recipient. . In Outlook, when composing a message, a file is attached, the file shows in the "Attach" field (as in Outlook Express). But when the message is viewed in the "Sent Items" folder by the sender or viewed by the recipient in the "In Box", the attached file shows at the bottom of the message!? Is ther...

Attached zip is transformed in dat file
Hello all, I have a SBS 2003 server instaled,and configured, and when i send a message with a zip file attached, when the file arrives at the destination is not a zip file but a dat file. If i send the message by "hotmail" the file arrive fine. can someone help me ? Tanks in advance Jpessoa Please check the following settings since they could override the message format you choose in Outlook. Open Exchange System Manager and go to Global Settings > Internet Message Format > right click on Default and select Properties. Go to second tab (Message Format). Should be M...

Primary filed group full
I keep getting this message after each transaction: Primary filed group full...cannot locate space for object transaction in database quality market because the primary file group is full. Score MS oledb provder for sql server. Sql space 42000 native error 1105 no help file available. Set no account on Insert into transaction...ship to ib,store id, batch number, time in..........so forth and so on..... -- Thank You Vince :) Not sure, but it sounds like you've reached your 2 gig limit if your using MSDE. You might want to check the size of your database. If that's the cas...

Change the association in your preferences "error" Where's prefere
12032009.doc could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences. How do I do this? ...

Excel truncating imported file to 256 characters per cell
Hi to all I am trying to import a works database into excel. I can convert database to CSV etc but on importing to or opening in excel the text in each cell is truncated to 256 characters. If I paste 1 cell from Excel into say Word I only get 256 characters. I have researched this on the internet but cannot find the answer. I can paste and invidual cell from Works to Excell and the text is not truncated and can all be seen. I cannot bulk paste them without them being truncated What is is the solution? Database is about 300,000 cells I am using Excel from Office 97 Cheers Don Strachan...