Object Explorer doesn't connect to server specified at startup

Hi Everybody,

I'm constantly trying to shrink regular responsibilities into a single-
click icon.  Want me to check the server's hard drive size?  I've got
a script that gets hard drive space and sends a text report via SQL
mail; all I need to do is click the SQLCMD batch file on my desktop.

When starting SQL Server Management Studio (2005), I don't want to
specify my server name, login, password, or the database I need; I
prefer to run my desktop batch file that contains the following
command:

SqlWb.exe -E -S myservername -d testdb -nosplash

This gets me into SSMS lickety-split, since it handles my connection
automatically.

Question: How do I tell the Object Explorer to connect to the server
that SSMS has just connected to?  My problem is that I have to specify
the same server that was just specified in the [automated] SSMS
login.  Is there some way of telling SSMS to always start the Object
Explorer and ALWAYS connect it to the server that SSMS is connected
to?

Thanks,
Eric
0
new

I don't know of any way to do that, however - if you right-click in the
query window you can then select Open in Object Explorer and that will take
care of it.  I know, two clicks to open it up - but it is what it is...

"new DBA in '09" <phonecops@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I'm constantly trying to shrink regular responsibilities into a single-
> click icon.  Want me to check the server's hard drive size?  I've got
> a script that gets hard drive space and sends a text report via SQL
> mail; all I need to do is click the SQLCMD batch file on my desktop.
>
> When starting SQL Server Management Studio (2005), I don't want to
> specify my server name, login, password, or the database I need; I
> prefer to run my desktop batch file that contains the following
> command:
>
> SqlWb.exe -E -S myservername -d testdb -nosplash
>
> This gets me into SSMS lickety-split, since it handles my connection
> automatically.
>
> Question: How do I tell the Object Explorer to connect to the server
> that SSMS has just connected to?  My problem is that I have to specify
> the same server that was just specified in the [automated] SSMS
> login.  Is there some way of telling SSMS to always start the Object
> Explorer and ALWAYS connect it to the server that SSMS is connected
> to?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

0
Jeffrey
2/17/2010 2:07:47 AM
That is what I do. Whenever I start SSMS, I do the two-click dance. It is
pretty quick.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

"Jeffrey Williams" <jeff.williams3188@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I don't know of any way to do that, however - if you right-click in the
> query window you can then select Open in Object Explorer and that will
> take care of it.  I know, two clicks to open it up - but it is what it
> is...
>
> "new DBA in '09" <phonecops@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> I'm constantly trying to shrink regular responsibilities into a single-
>> click icon.  Want me to check the server's hard drive size?  I've got
>> a script that gets hard drive space and sends a text report via SQL
>> mail; all I need to do is click the SQLCMD batch file on my desktop.
>>
>> When starting SQL Server Management Studio (2005), I don't want to
>> specify my server name, login, password, or the database I need; I
>> prefer to run my desktop batch file that contains the following
>> command:
>>
>> SqlWb.exe -E -S myservername -d testdb -nosplash
>>
>> This gets me into SSMS lickety-split, since it handles my connection
>> automatically.
>>
>> Question: How do I tell the Object Explorer to connect to the server
>> that SSMS has just connected to?  My problem is that I have to specify
>> the same server that was just specified in the [automated] SSMS
>> login.  Is there some way of telling SSMS to always start the Object
>> Explorer and ALWAYS connect it to the server that SSMS is connected
>> to?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric

0
Tibor

Objects duplicated
If a workbook consists of Objects: Sheet1, Sheet2, This Workbook.... What would cause Excel to duplicate these objects in the same workbook. Somehow, I now have to sets of objects in the same workbook that are exactly the same. ...

server URL for Yahoo
What so I put in when it asks for " Server URL " when setting up an email account. I'm using Outlook 2003. Can anyone help me? I'm Blonde wats ur xcuse? wrote: > What so I put in when it asks for " Server URL " when setting up an > email account. I'm using Outlook 2003. Can anyone help me? You can't access Yahoo via HTTP. You can pay Yahoo an annual fee for POP access, though - check their help pages. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote > I'm Blonde wats ur xcuse?...

Make HQ Client and HQ Server run as a service
Currently these are just applications that run. Having them run as a service makes them more managable and stable. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=5a3651d9...

cannot shift objects off sheet, but also cannot find objects
Trying to hide columns gives error "cannot shift objects off sheet." Try as I might, I cannot find any objects in or near the offending columns; indeed, there are no objects on the entire sheet. I went to Tools>Options>View>Objects and selected "Show All," but still nothing appears. An easier way to see if there are any objects on a sheet is through F5-Special. Cell comments are objects too. Do you have any of them? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "danielo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0cff01c47b0d$f5a72620$a601280...

How to record which objects a user clicks on
Hi, New to the forums here. I would like to know how to track which objects a user clicks during a powerpoint presentation. I realize this will probably require a macro and that is where I need help. I'm fairly tech savvy, but I don't know how to program in VB. Whenever there is a mouseclick on an object in the slideshow, I would like two things to happen: 1) Advance to a particular slide (which I see can be set easily in the program) 2) Write data, to a separate file (it can be a text file), that reports which object was clicked. This would happen in the background so t...

Outlooks crashes at startup
I have installed Office Beta approx. 2 months ago and suddenly (since July 19th) I couldn't start Outlook anymore. Message displayed: The file CRYPT32.DLL is incompatible with MS Office Outlook. Install Outlook again. And then I see foll. message: Outlook failed to start correctly last time. Starting Outlook in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to succesfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode. Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode? Clicking yes brings the same pop-up: The file CRYPT32.DLL is incompatible with MS Of...

Problem With Opening Embedded Object After Turning On "Track Chang
In order to use the routing function, I'm using company forms created in excel. On another tab, I've embedded "as icon objects" any supporting material created in Word. This works great, as recipients can double-click these icon objects and launch the documents in Word to view them. The problem occurs when I decided to add "Track Changes" to the files I am routing. When this is done, the icon objects still appear but can no longer be double-clicked. The online documentation in excel indicateds that you can't insert any embedded objects after "T...

imap with securre incoming mail server?
I am using IMAP to get emails from several of my e-mail accounts. All of them are using secure incoming server setting (port 993). However, their certificates are not verified (I guess certificates are developed in house, or whatever) and thus evrytime I open Outlook it gives me a warning messge that the certifiacte is not verified blah blah. Is there anyway to get rid of these warnings by installing the certificate anyway (I mean anyway even if they are not verified!) Thanks, Cengiz BTW it's OL2003 "Cengiz Han" wrote: > I am using IMAP to get emails from several of m...

How do I group objects and Word Art in Publisher?
I am creating a button and have our company logo along with a slogan that I put in Word Art. I would like to group these two items together so it will be easier to move around as one object. I have tried using the "select object" tool and it will not let me group them. It just moves my objects around and not as a group. I don't quite understand. Do you have a border around your page? If so send it to the back and try selecting your logo and WordArt again. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Fal...

How to select the SMTP server automagically according to the current network location/setup?
I am using several ISPs during the day (office, on-the-go, home) and by now all of them forbid relaying, so in Outlook - when sending an email - I always first have to choose the appropriate account (and thus SMTP server) via which to send an email. I find this most tedious, esp. since - when replying - Outlook by default seems to preselect the account, via which the mail was received as the one via which it tries to send the reply. While originally this might have been a good idea this does not work at all any more in the presence of these "relaying not allowed" policies tha...

Outlook startup connection to verisign.com
Please explain why Outlook 2002 makes a connection to one of the following when started? sitefinder-idn.verisign.com crl.verisign.com We have a serious problem with any program on any of our systems that makes a connection that is not directly user initiated! What mechanism by design or otherwise is responsible for this? Ask VeriSign as their problem with expired certificates this week played havoc with a number of systems/programs. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to m...

problem writing a new thread with Internet Explorer
I do not know what has happened but I cannot write a tread with Internet Explorer, I have to open Firefox to do it. When I tell it I want to ask a question it looks like it is going to a write page, but it just goes back to the page I was viewing. What did I do, and how do I get it back to normal? recommend going into the IE forum and asking. "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:753EC208-D378-4AC8-AFFB-5A375A127ADF@microsoft.com... >I do not know what has happened but I cannot write a tread with Internet > Explorer, I have to open Fire...

Turn off object theme colors
I have a presentation with a number of objects (mainly simple shapes like circles and squares) that have powerpoint theme colors. I now want to copy and paste them into another Powerpoint that has a different theme. I of course don't want the colors to change. Other than going into each object and changing the color into a customized color, is there any way I can get these objects in using their original color - not tied to the theme? Hi When you paste the objects into the other presentation you'll get a little clipboard in the bottom right hand corner - click on ...

OWA and web server on different Servers
I have a Windows 2000 server hosting our company websites and is acting as our web server. I have a Windows 2003 server with exchange 2003 installed. I am trying to access OWA from the internet. I have tried doing a redirect from the 2000 web server to the http:// site on the 2003 server for exchange, but it comes up with a blank page when I do that. Can anyone help me? Did you try https://yourcomputername/exchange? -- Ray MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, MCSE+I, MCP+I <diadora_chicago@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1170791883.429964.212520@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... >I have a Windo...

Insert Object File path when attaching OLE Objects
When attaching a note and click on the paper clip, I go to Edit Insert New Object to attach a word document or an excel file. When I select 'Insert New Object' the Insert Object screen opens and I select the Create from File option. The path showing there is the path where GP is installed, in my case - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics\GP\. Is there a way I can change this default path? Maria, I am afraid this path defaults from the location of your DEX.INI file, which in the case of GP 9, can be found typically under the GP root folder, in the case of GP 10, under the GP...

WTL objects dependent on what runtime objects?
If I make and distribute a WTL program, what DLL's (if any) must also be present? I mean, if I make an MFC application, I assume that my installation program is also going to need to make sure that MFC42.dll and maybe a couple of other DLL's is on the target machine and up to date. What is a WTL program dependent upon? *********** Richard Lewis Haggard "Richard Lewis Haggard" <HaggardAtWorldDotStdDotCom> wrote in message news:OBcsU13uDHA.640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > If I make and distribute a WTL program, what DLL's (if any) must also be > present? I mean...

CAL License Requirements for Project Server SharePoint Pages..
I know I need a CAL license for anyone accessing the PWA front-end of project server, but does a user need a CAL if they are going to access the SharePoint project page that can be spawned when a new project is added to the project server? Right now, the cost of implementing Project Server is small, compared to the CAL licensing if I have all of the engineering staff using it. I need to look at options of limiting what they access, and right now, if they do not need the CAL to access the Project sites, then I should be in good shape. Anyone know this?> If it's got th...

Excel 2007 crashes after viewing property sheet in Data Connection
I have been using Excel 2007 to import comma delimited text (csv) files stored on my local hard disk into my personal finance spreadsheet. The Data>Get External Data>From Text wizard works fine and have had no trouble using the Refresh function. The problem comes from accessing a Connection Properties Box from the Data>Connections Box. If I select OK after viewing the Properties Box, Excel crashes, restarts, and offers to let me continue working on a repaired worksheet. This behavior occurs even when no changes are made in the Properties Box. If I select Cancel, Excel exits the...

Embed a modeless cdialog derived object into a cformview derived object
I am creating an mfc application and would like to know if this is possible at all (not very experienced with MFC). I have an SDI application with a CFormView derived object. Inside this form I want to embed a CDialog derived modeless dialog which contains controls that I want to reuse throughout the application (a few edit boxes, a couple of buttons). I'm at the point where the CFormView gets displayed, and at this moment I want to embed in it my dialog object. First of all: am I going about this the right way in trying to reuse a dialog? I tried the following code: CSelectOriginType i...

Sheet Protection / Edit Objects 12-05-09
I have a spreadsheet with multiple objects that I'm trying to lock. My problem is I also have cells that I need to have comment insertion capabilites. When going to Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet and allow Edit Objects is checked I can insert a comment. However, it also allows the other objects on the sheet to be accessed. Is there a way to allow the Edit Objects option in a specified range of cells and still protect the sheet? Perplexed.... Keyrookie -- Keyrookie You would have to have that range without the checkbox for locked checked: FORMAT CELLS>PR...

telnet connection failed
No matter what domain I try and telnet to on port 25 I get connection failed. shouldn't I be able to telnet to send a mail to any mail server on the internet that accepts mail? What am I doing wrong? On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:00:00 -0700, Tyson <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >No matter what domain I try and telnet to on port 25 I get connection failed. > shouldn't I be able to telnet to send a mail to any mail server on the >internet that accepts mail? What am I doing wrong? Are you doing this from the server that sends mail to the internet? I would ...

Exchange Server Stop Processing Inbound Mail
I have an ODD problem. For the 2nd day in a row our Exchange server version 6.5.6944 running on SBS2003 has stopped accepting inbound connections on SMTP port 25. In the Exchange MMC if I right click on the server name under "Servers" and then go to properties on the general tab in place of the previous log file directory it has an error message : Invalid Network Address ** Win32 ...... When I change it back to the place where the log files should go the Exchange server starts working again. I am guessing it is some type of buffer overflow attack but nobody else on the internet s...

Is exchange server a good choice for an office with 5 pcs?
I work for a small company. There is "the boss", a secretary, and two other people who occaisionally use a pc. We had been networking as a workgroup until last week. All pcs had access to various files on a shared network drive. Last week, the owner's son (who works for a large corporation IT department hundreds of miles away) decided we needed to go client server. He purchased a domain server, changed us from workgroup to domain based computing, and installed Exchange Server. Since then we have had lots of problems. This reconfiguration was done without any analysi...

Static CMap object #2
Hi all, Excuse but the other message is wrong I've declared in my .h file the following CMap type : typedef CMap<CString, CString&, MyClass*, MyClass*&> Map; ... ... class AnotherClass { ... public: static Map BuilderMap; ... ... static void Register(CString name, MyClass* instance); }; In one of my CPP file call the Register method as following: AnotherClass::Register(_T("TEST"), this); The code of Register method is : void AnotherClass::Register(CString name, MyClass* instance) { AnotherClass::BuilderMap.SetAt(name, instance); } When linking my project there t...

I Need a Address Book on Office Server
Is it possible to setup a shared Outlook Address on a office server where everyone can access and update it through Outlook 2003? Something separate from the users personal address book but something that would show up under the contact folder. The mail server is not our servers, so I need something setup on our office file server. Rachel wrote: > Is it possible to setup a shared Outlook Address on a office server > where everyone can access and update it through Outlook 2003? > Something separate from the users personal address book but something > that would show up under the...