Keyword EXCEPT not working - SQL Server 2000

Folks,

Does the keyword EXCEPT work only in SQL Server 2005 and later versions?

Thanks!
J.S.
0
Jack

Yes.

Tom

"Jack" <jack@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Does the keyword EXCEPT work only in SQL Server 2005 and later versions?
>
> Thanks!
> J.S.

0
Tom
9/9/2010 8:31:48 PM
Thanks, Tom.  Could you advise me of any workaround that may accomplish the
same thing in SQL Server 2000?  Let me explain the issue I have been trying
to solve but without success.  It seems very simple but just doesn't get
solved.

I have a table with a list of products which ProductID and ProductName.and
some other related columns.
I have another table with CustomerID, CustomerName, Customer Email and a
bunch of related columns.

Since the number of products was large I  created another table of purchase
transactions mentioning CustomerName (probablyredundant), CustomerID,
ProductID andTransactionID.

I wanted a list of all customers with ProductNames, not just ProductID so I
created a query which is something like (I am mentioning only the important
columns for the sake of simplicity).

SELECT      dbo.Customers.CustomerID, dbo.Customers.CustomerName,
dbo.Customers.CustomerEmail, dbo.Products.ProductName,
dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, dbo.ProductsByCustomer.TransactionID.
FROM          dbo.Customers INNER JOIN
                      dbo.ProductsByCustomer ON dbo.Customers.CustomerID =
dbo.ProductsByCustomer.CustomerID INNER JOIN
                        dbo.Products ON dbo.ProductsByCustomer.ProductID =
dbo.Products.ProductID

In the results of this query some customers are mentioned in several rows
because they have purchased several products.  I filtered this query by a
particular product and sent emails to those customers.  Now I want to send
emails to customers with other products (some customers purchased this one
also) but I do not want to send emails to those customers again to whom I
have already sent emails.  This should be fairly easy to accomplish, right?
But when I try to do so it doesn't work and I understand why but I don't
know a solution without using EXCEPT.

Basically I want a List of Customers who have purchased another product but
I do not want to send repeat emails to customers who have already received
emails because of the previous product.  Can this be accomplished in SQL
server 2000?

Thanks!
Jack

"Tom Cooper" <tomcooper@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes.
>
> Tom

0
Jack
9/10/2010 12:45:45 AM
As I understand it you want customers who have bought products, but only
those customers who did not buy a particular ProductID, say ProductID 25,
that would be something like

SELECT      c.CustomerID, c.CustomerName,
c.CustomerEmail, p.ProductName,
/* the next column seems to be from a table not mentioned in your query,
so I'm ignoring it
dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, */
pc.TransactionID.
FROM          dbo.Customers c
INNER JOIN dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc ON c.CustomerID = pc.CustomerID
INNER JOIN dbo.Products p ON pc.ProductID = p.ProductID
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc2
  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID = 25)

If you have a list of products say 25, 47, and 63, and you don't want the
Customer if the Customer bought any product in that list change the last
line to read

  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID IN (25,47,63))

And as soon as you feasibly can, get off of SQL 2000.

> Thanks, Tom.  Could you advise me of any workaround that may accomplish
> the same thing in SQL Server 2000?  Let me explain the issue I have been
> trying to solve but without success.  It seems very simple but just
> doesn't get solved.
>
> I have a table with a list of products which ProductID and ProductName.and
> some other related columns.
> I have another table with CustomerID, CustomerName, Customer Email and a
> bunch of related columns.
>
> Since the number of products was large I  created another table of
> purchase transactions mentioning CustomerName (probablyredundant),
> CustomerID, ProductID andTransactionID.
>
> I wanted a list of all customers with ProductNames, not just ProductID so
> I created a query which is something like (I am mentioning only the
> important columns for the sake of simplicity).
>
> SELECT      dbo.Customers.CustomerID, dbo.Customers.CustomerName,
> dbo.Customers.CustomerEmail, dbo.Products.ProductName,
> dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, dbo.ProductsByCustomer.TransactionID.
> FROM          dbo.Customers INNER JOIN
>                      dbo.ProductsByCustomer ON dbo.Customers.CustomerID =
> dbo.ProductsByCustomer.CustomerID INNER JOIN
>                        dbo.Products ON dbo.ProductsByCustomer.ProductID =
> dbo.Products.ProductID
>
> In the results of this query some customers are mentioned in several rows
> because they have purchased several products.  I filtered this query by a
> particular product and sent emails to those customers.  Now I want to send
> emails to customers with other products (some customers purchased this one
> also) but I do not want to send emails to those customers again to whom I
> have already sent emails.  This should be fairly easy to accomplish,
> right? But when I try to do so it doesn't work and I understand why but I
> don't know a solution without using EXCEPT.
>
> Basically I want a List of Customers who have purchased another product
> but I do not want to send repeat emails to customers who have already
> received emails because of the previous product.  Can this be accomplished
> in SQL server 2000?
>
> Thanks!
> Jack
>
> "Tom Cooper" <tomcooper@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Yes.
>>
>> Tom

0
Tom
9/10/2010 3:51:30 AM
That was amazing, Tom.  I thought maybe it wouldn't work without EXCEPT but
your code worked perfectly.  I am glad you mentioned the last line also in
case of more products like (25,47,63).

Regarding the database, my webhost is ready to move me from SQL 2000 to SQL
2008 box but I am not sure what, if any, problems such a migration could
cause.

> As I understand it you want customers who have bought products, but only
> those customers who did not buy a particular ProductID, say ProductID 25,
> that would be something like
>
> SELECT      c.CustomerID, c.CustomerName,
> c.CustomerEmail, p.ProductName,
> /* the next column seems to be from a table not mentioned in your query,
> so I'm ignoring it
> dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, */
> pc.TransactionID.
> FROM          dbo.Customers c
> INNER JOIN dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc ON c.CustomerID = pc.CustomerID
> INNER JOIN dbo.Products p ON pc.ProductID = p.ProductID
> WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc2
>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID = 25)
>
> If you have a list of products say 25, 47, and 63, and you don't want the
> Customer if the Customer bought any product in that list change the last
> line to read
>
>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID IN (25,47,63))
>
> And as soon as you feasibly can, get off of SQL 2000.
>
> Tom

0
Jack
9/11/2010 12:58:49 AM
Glad I could help.

It is certainly possible to have things break when you upgrade.  There is an
Upgrade Advisor which can help finding potential problems.  You can find
tthe 2008 version at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=F5A6C5E9-4CD9-4E42-A21C-7291E7F0F852&displaylang=en.
You will also definitely want to review the backward compatability issues -
you can find the 2008 version at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280407%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx.  And
at look at the topics under "Upgrading to SQL Server 2008" at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx and
review the topics that are relevant to your instalation.

One very common problem people had when upgrading was that they had coded
views like
CREATE MyView AS
SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT <column list>
FROM MyTable
ORDER BY <some column>

Then when they selected from that view, they just did

SELECT <column list> FROM MyView

and expected the result to be ordered by <some column> because the view had
an order by.  This was always bad coding, but it usually worked in SQL 2000.
In SQL 2005 or later, it is much more likely not to work.  If you want the
result ordered when you select from the view, you must use an ORDER BY when
selecting from the view.  That is

SELECT <column list> FROM MyView
ORDER BY <some column>

You will want to test using SQL 2008 before going live with it.  So the
upgrade will be some work, but there are many new features available and the
upgrade is well worth the effort.

> That was amazing, Tom.  I thought maybe it wouldn't work without EXCEPT
> but your code worked perfectly.  I am glad you mentioned the last line
> also in case of more products like (25,47,63).
>
> Regarding the database, my webhost is ready to move me from SQL 2000 to
> SQL 2008 box but I am not sure what, if any, problems such a migration
> could cause.
>
> Jack
>

> "Tom Cooper" <tomcooper@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> As I understand it you want customers who have bought products, but only
>> those customers who did not buy a particular ProductID, say ProductID 25,
>> that would be something like
>>
>> SELECT      c.CustomerID, c.CustomerName,
>> c.CustomerEmail, p.ProductName,
>> /* the next column seems to be from a table not mentioned in your query,
>> so I'm ignoring it
>> dbo.SuiteProducts.ProductID, */
>> pc.TransactionID.
>> FROM          dbo.Customers c
>> INNER JOIN dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc ON c.CustomerID = pc.CustomerID
>> INNER JOIN dbo.Products p ON pc.ProductID = p.ProductID
>> WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.ProductsByCustomer pc2
>>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID = 25)
>>
>> If you have a list of products say 25, 47, and 63, and you don't want the
>> Customer if the Customer bought any product in that list change the last
>> line to read
>>
>>  WHERE pc2.CustomerID = c.CustomerID AND pc2.ProductID IN (25,47,63))
>>
>> And as soon as you feasibly can, get off of SQL 2000.
>>
>> Tom

0
Tom
9/11/2010 5:31:53 AM
Tom,

Thanks for those useful links, your detailed responses, and your good
advice.  I am grateful for your help.

And I am going to move to SQL 2008 while keeping everything you have said in
mind.

> Glad I could help.
>
> It is certainly possible to have things break when you upgrade.  There is
> an Upgrade Advisor which can help finding potential problems.  You can
> find tthe 2008 version at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=F5A6C5E9-4CD9-4E42-A21C-7291E7F0F852&displaylang=en.
> You will also definitely want to review the backward compatability
> issues - you can find the 2008 version at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280407%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx.  And
> at look at the topics under "Upgrading to SQL Server 2008" at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx and
> review the topics that are relevant to your instalation.
>
> One very common problem people had when upgrading was that they had coded
> views like
> CREATE MyView AS
> SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT <column list>
> FROM MyTable
> ORDER BY <some column>
>
> Then when they selected from that view, they just did
>
> SELECT <column list> FROM MyView
>
> and expected the result to be ordered by <some column> because the view
> had an order by.  This was always bad coding, but it usually worked in SQL
> 2000. In SQL 2005 or later, it is much more likely not to work.  If you
> want the result ordered when you select from the view, you must use an
> ORDER BY when selecting from the view.  That is
>
> SELECT <column list> FROM MyView
> ORDER BY <some column>
>
> You will want to test using SQL 2008 before going live with it.  So the
> upgrade will be some work, but there are many new features available and
> the upgrade is well worth the effort.
>
> Tom

0
Jack

Problem migrating Money 2000 to 2004
Hi, I've just bought Money 2004 Deluxe Edt. and I would like to migrate my money database (in MOney 2000) to the new version. But eveytime I try I receice a error that I cannot access to the database. What am I doing wrong? Can some help me? I would like to evolve to the new version. Thanks in advance for all the help. Cheers Miguel Rodrigues In microsoft.public.money, Miguel Rodrigues wrote: > >I've just bought Money 2004 Deluxe Edt. and I would like >to migrate my money database (in MOney 2000) to the new >version. > >But eveytime I try I receice a erro...

Windows server 2000 strange crash
Hi, i have a strange problem in my network, 1 dc 2000 server which is also dhcp server and dns server ,and 1 member server 2003 acting as fileserver. When rebooting the dc, it will work properly. Running dcdiag and netdiag will not show any problems, all tests passing, no errors, no warnings. But after 14 hours (at night when nobodys working), the DC simple stops findind himself...running netdiag gives dc_list and ldap errors, dcdiag wont even run, gives just an error 31 with ldap. After this, i get replication errors, problems with connectivity, leading to server stop responding...

Filters not working
I have set up a few filters for nntp groups, they are to highlight certain users in different colours but none of them seem to work. Another little problem is that I have a couple of different sig's set up, while the default is ticked to only show with certain accounts it shows up with all accounts except those with a different sig file associated with them. -- [This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of Scientology International] "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ" "Athe...

Execute SQL dts package from Great Plains shortcut
How do create a Great Plains external shortcut to execute a SQL Server dts package? VG You can do this using by using the DTSRun utility in a .bat file and calling that from the shortcut bar. You would need to install SQL Client Tools or the DTSRun utility separately on the client workstation to do so. Google DTSRun or check out these links to help get you started: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/coprompt/cp_dtsrun_95kp.asp http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?301 Lookup DTSRun on Yahoo or Google. It will fire a DTS package from a command line. Then cr...

block owa on Back-end server?
Hi, I have setup a Front-End server with Exchange server 2003 and OWA works fun. Now i want to block OWA on the Back-End server (Exchange 2003). That means I just want our users log onto OWA with Front-End server IP address ( Http://front-end ip/exchange)and do not want users log onto the OWA with the Back-End server IP address (Http://Back-end ip/exchange). Could you tell me how to do it? Any idea or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Mike You could do this by limiting what identities the Default Web Site(or whatever web site OWA is under), on the back-end server, will answer for....

Mailboxes in Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server
I have implemented a policy to limit the mailbox size to 30000 K and implemented a 21 day Age Limit. However, 21 days has passed and the 30000 K limit has passed on more than 50% of our mailboxes. How can we enforce this policy to work properly and clean out the mailboxes to bring this down to 30 K. The policy I have created is running and reporting is enabled.It is configured for report only, but I would like this to change to "Move to deleted items folder". However, since nothing seems to happen as of yet...I am hesitant to make the change until I can see a change and tha...

Outlook 2000 settings & roaming profiles
Hiya all, wonder if someone can help me, we have a windows 2000 network with Outlook 2000 setup per user for POP e-mail access, but it seems when the user logs onto another PC. their outlook settings are lost (accounts and location of PST file) does anyone know a resolution of this or something to do with group policy where you can tell it where to look and/or save outlook information within the roaming profile? Thanks Dave What's the client OS? All mail profile info does indeed travel with roaming profiles - peraps you're having profile problems. Check the system event lo...

Links in Excel 2000...need help
Hi, Would you happen to know how to switch the setting in excel so that when I doubleclick on a cell with a link to another tab (worksheet), it will take me to that tab and specifically the cell referenced? Thx, Maybe you can use a worksheet formula. David McRitchie has posted these formulas that he uses. =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5) === but you meant like what hap...

AutoPreview works intermittently
Outlook 2002 SP2 Affected Inbox is connecting to an IMAP server AutoPreview set to 'Preview unread items' I am an IT technitian and I have a user who likes to have her unread mail items in her Inbox to use the AutoPreview feature. At one point I went to View/Current View/Customize Current View.../Other settings... and chose 'No AutoPreview' option. I recently restored the 'Preview unread items' option. Now, an email will only AutoPreview if: I manually mark a read email as unread (right clicking on email and choosing 'Mark As Unread') or: right clic...

Learning SQL
Can anyone recommend any good reference books to help me learn SQL. My needs are only as it relates to Access. Any help greatly appreciated. Jason SQL Queries for Mere Mortals by Hernandez and Viescas: http://www.amazon.com/SQL-Queries-Mere-Mortals-Hands/dp/0201433362/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7818383-4346230?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177897812&sr=8-1 Here's a free tutorial: http://www.sqlcourse.com/intro.html Here's a really basic intro to subqueries: http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access us...

Change in paste behaviout between Publisher 2000 and 2002-
I also have the same problem. I use publisher to print ID cards and every day paste about 100 images from a graphics program into the same sized text box in Publisher. With all versions of Publisher up to and including 2000 the pasted image would resize itself to the text frame. This being what I need. With Publisher 2002 onwards the pasted image pastes itself into a new frame on top of the existing image and much larger. I then have to delete the existing image and resize the new image, which takes much much longer than using Publisher 2000. If Microsoft provided an option somewhere to cho...

ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? #2
I need to fine out how to save a hml workbook onto my website do I need to use ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? Kosta ...

Problems XSLT Transformation of XML Data to EXCEL 2000
Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels version is in Office 2000 and also its works fine if the Office Excel Version 2002 and up when attachment file is open via browser the data is in a single line of string in the first row of the excel worksheet Glenn Gomez wrote: > Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am > having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels > version is in Office 2000 > >...

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition license
Hi We are using SQL Server Express Edition in one ASP .NET web application which will go live and accessed by users situated at different locations. Number of concurrent users and database size of the application is well within the specified limit of SQL Express server. I am concerned about the licensing cost of SQL Server. I understand Express edition is free. Wanted to confirm that use of SQL Server Express edition will be free? Thank you Shailesh Shailesh Yes , it is free and I hope it will "Shailesh" <Shailesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

SMTP on MS EXCHANGE 2000 Server
I have an exchange server set up in our environment but the clients have been set up as pop clients and not as exchange clients. I wont go into the details as to why we have gone for that. The question is that when a client sets its pop server as "abc.mail.com" it receives mails so thats fine but when it writes "abc.mail.com" in SMTP it doesnt send and gives an error as NO TRANSPORT SERVER AVAILABLE. At the moment the clients are using the ISP's SMTP. SMTP connector has been created on mail server and if a client is setup as an EXCHANGE client then there are no issues,...

IIS & Exchange: 2 x SMTP server?
Hi, We have IIS and Exchange running on IIS. The server was accepting incoming SMTP but the message were not stored in Exchange, also some configured domains were not accepted. In IIS and Exchange there is a configuration for SMTP and we suspected that the IIS SMTP got the incoming calls and handled it. We changed the port number of SMTP in Exchange to 8025 and as we thought a telnet session to 25 accepted mails (but not stored in Exchange), when connected to port 8025 mail was stored exchange and other domains were accepted. We tried to stop the smtp server in IIS but at every restart the...

Exchange 2000 - Additional Server
Hi We have 2 sites, connected via a 256k leased line, separated into 2 subnets. On the site with the Internet gateway, we have an Exchange server 2000, which currently all clients at both sites connect to via Outlook 2000. We have approx 25 users at each site. I would like to put a second exchange server at our remote site, so that when they get attachments etc, they don't have to wait forever etc. We would then have each person's mailbox on the server that they normally use, I can get my site log on scripts to deal with which Exchange server they use. I am thinking maybe we coul...

How to install software on a terminal server/use microsoft office through RDP
My boss is asking me to figure this out, so I do not know all the configurations he is using. I can tell you its Windows server 2k3. He wants to be able to RDP to server, and work physically on the server. He also needs to have office 2003 license installed. So the greater question is "how to use ms office 2k3 through RDP on microsoft 2003 server?" -- jgosney ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jgosney's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/159717.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1277...

IMF not working
I am running Exchange 2003 with Service Pack 1. I have installed the exchange IMF, but it does not seem to be writting the SCL rating to the external emails that are being sent (i have created a form to allow a SCL field in outlook). I have followed the instructions on setting this up, applied the imf to the correct smtp server. I have done the identical configuration on a different exchange server, and the SCL ratings on emails that are sent to that server ARE getting marked, so i know its working over there, just not on my other server. Does anyone have any idea of where I should...

Starting work immediately after OnInitDialog
Hi NG, I write an application which scans quite a lot of files - this procedure takes some time. So I want the following to happen: 1. The user starts the processing by pushing a button. 2. Then a dialog shall appear (builing it with OnInitDialog). 3. Immediately after the dialog appears the processing of the files shall start (the user does not need to do anything for it) 4. While processing, a gauge shall show how much of the work already is done. 5. The user shall be able to stop the work by a "Stop"-Button. 6. After the files are scanned completely, the dialog shall launch a next...

Microsoft Office Word has stopped working 02-03-10
Please help find a fix - Using Microsoft 7 on new Dell XPS 9000 super fast computer...Often when I try to open a Word Doc or start a new one I get "Microsoft Office Word has stopped working; Microsoft is checking for a soluttion" message and later a red circle with a white X "There was a problem sending the command to the program." Sometimes everything works fine, more often it doesn't. Sometimes if I double click I can open a document; sometimes I need to click and then click OPEN to get to the doc and sometimes neither works. I've tried reinstalling....

Invoice Payment Entry Screen Accelerator keys not working correctl
Our organization upgraded from GP7.0 to GP 8.0 last weekend. Our receivables assistant indictates that the accelerator key sequence Alt+I is not working correctly with GP 8.0 on the Sales Invoice Payment Entry screen since the upgrade. Using the Alt+I sequence with GP 8.0 brings up inquiry from the top line menu instead of the insert option within the invoice payment entry screen. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? I did not find an entry in CustomerSource... Any help is appreciated! Murphy Because of the new menu, you'll need to use Alt+I+I to use the Insert button. T...

Report OrderBy Not Working
Using Access 2007, I have a fairly simple report, with one group. In the detail section for some reason it will only sort on one column. The group sorts properly and I have the feeling the Group Level is in conflict with the OrderBy. Any ideas? Never mind. My bad. It's working. I was looking at the data wrong! "John Lane" wrote: > Using Access 2007, I have a fairly simple report, with one group. In the > detail section for some reason it will only sort on one column. The group > sorts properly and I have the feeling the Group Level is in conflict with t...

SMTP config on an Echange server 2000/2003
Can you setup an exchange server to run smtp only, to be used in a redundancy scenario...the idea being that if the main exchange server goes down, I want to have or put on the network a separate email server that will just collect smtp email until the mail server comes back on line. If the answer is yes...how do you setup the config and are there any articles on the subject. Thanks You don't even need exchange to do that, you can use IIS with SMTP as a smart host. Bascially, the smart host would sit between your exchange Org and the firewall, and act as a passthrough. If exchan...

Migrate data from one CRM server to another
Hello, I need to install a portuguese version of microsoft crm, but actually, we have a english version, and with much data like accounts, contacts, opportunities, etc... inserted. I try to use de redeployment tool to install the portuguese version and import our data, but on the install of microsoft crm portuguese version, I got a error saying that SQL not match the correct version, and don=B4t let setup continue the installation.... maybe a bug.... So, what I need to do is export ALL (or almost all) data from the english version, uninstall crm, reinstall the portuguese version and import ...