Is there anyway to simplify the Deployment process?

Hello,
I am looking for any best practices that will aid in deplyment of my
application.
My application has one SQL 2008 database.
When I make changes and update/upgrade the schema, I need to track the
changes and prepare a script to deliver to each of my Clients.
They run the script and everything is wonderful again.
However, the issue I have been facing is that different Users are at
different levels of patches applied.
So, for instance, User 1 may be running a version from last December, while
User 2 is running a version from last Tuesday.
When patches to the schema/stored procedures are deployed, do you typically
bundle many changes into the same package, and then query the underlying
schema to determine which patches are required?
Do you create a table hosting some metat data about the database, so that
you can determine which patches are applicable?

Thanks for any suggestions,

........Cameron

Hi
Hmm we are always building the same package for everyone, it will difficult
for  you later on  with  your approach

"Cameron_C" <CameronC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am looking for any best practices that will aid in deplyment of my
> application.
> My application has one SQL 2008 database.
> When I make changes and update/upgrade the schema, I need to track the
> changes and prepare a script to deliver to each of my Clients.
> They run the script and everything is wonderful again.
> However, the issue I have been facing is that different Users are at
> different levels of patches applied.
> So, for instance, User 1 may be running a version from last December,
> while
> User 2 is running a version from last Tuesday.
> When patches to the schema/stored procedures are deployed, do you
> typically
> bundle many changes into the same package, and then query the underlying
> schema to determine which patches are required?
> Do you create a table hosting some metat data about the database, so that
> you can determine which patches are applicable?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> .......Cameron

0
Uri
3/30/2010 1:32:43 PM
Thanks RJ.
That was the approach I had evelved into. It was the only way I could think
of to manage the update flow.
I was really hoping that there was something I had overlooked, and that my
approach could be simplified.

When you create your scripts, do you use Date/Time to identify each one?
And is this the value you place in the database as the version key?
I am currently using Date, and then adding a short description of whatever
the upgrade/modification was about.

One positive, is that it forces me to think about deployment much earlier.
And everything needs to be documented.

"RJ Roberts" wrote:

> [...]
> > Do you create a table hosting some metat data about the database, so that
> > you can determine which patches are applicable?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions,
> >
> > .......Cameron

Is there anyway to simplify the Deployment process?
Hello, I am looking for any best practices that will aid in deplyment of my application. My application has one SQL 2008 database. When I make changes and update/upgrade the schema, I need to track the changes and prepare a script to deliver to each of my Clients. They run the script and everything is wonderful again. However, the issue I have been facing is that different Users are at different levels of patches applied. So, for instance, User 1 may be running a version from last December, while User 2 is running a version from last Tuesday. When patches to the schema/stored pr...

Anyway to transfer Money to a new computer?
I purchased and downloaded Money 2007 Home and Business some time ago. I now have a new laptop, and have learned that I can no longer download the product (time has passed). My old system is still operational -- is there any way for me to transfer the application? Does Microsoft expect us to re-purchase with each new system? (lame) "kjcb" <kjcb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61FB8109-5199-467D-A7DB-A971FCB5F671@microsoft.com... >I purchased and downloaded Money 2007 Home and Business some time ago. I >now > have a new laptop, and have learned...

Deploying Windows Mobile-based devices with Exchange
Hello, Im a novice in Exchange 2003, I have an urgent request by my company CEO to get up and running windows Mobile phone with exchange server, Server has exchange sp2 installed and all components for direct push is select and configured properly. My problem is that I don’t know how to get My exchange server smtp or path name to enter on the windows mobile phone. I tried looking for it all over. Our exchange admin left the company and now im responsible for it Please help Eddie You configure the Exchange server under the ActiveSync settings on the device - there is a Configure Server ...

Deploy VBA form at client workstation without via importing package method
Dear all, i'm newbie to GP10. And, i have add in some vba script in the SOP entry form at the GP10 server without changing or adding any fields on the existing form. Just the vba script which are checking some info and the VBA script was placed in XXX_AfterLostFocus events. Is there any way i can deploy the update SOP form with VBA into my 10 unit of client workstation without using Importing package method. btw, my GP launch file setting is point to local machine. Pls advice, thanks in advance rgds-Jason Jason, If this is the only customizations you have in your network, you can copy ...

Outlook 2003 deployment using prf file
Hi, I'm trying to create an Outlook 2003 profile automatically when a user logs into their new PC. I want to do this by using a prf file in the logon script which lists a server in the Exchange org and so resolve the correct Exch server for that user. The problem there will only only be one logon script, and there are 3 Exchange Organisations. Can the prf file be edited to say that if the users mailbox cannot be resolved from the first Exch server name, add an additional server name into the prf file which is in the second Exchange org, and a third one in the last Exch org? No id...

How to find window handle of a process?
Hello, I am starting a Win32 MFC GUI from a Win32 Console using _spawnl(). From this I know the process identifier. Later, when this Win32 Console terminates, I'd like to inform the Win32 GUI by posting/sending it a message. What is the best way to accomplish this? I know about the FindWindow(ex) calls and may be able to search that way. I'd rather not depend on knowing the window names though. Can I get from PID to possible WHNDs? I do have source to both apps. The Win32 Console is the new component (still under development). Perhaps I should seek an alternate IPC mec...

who needs money anyway?
http://www.richgetquick.com ...

UML: Show Components on Deployment Nodes
I've placed "nodes" onto a deployment diagram, and I've added components to those nodes - but the diagram does not show the components I've added. The "Shape Display Options" doesn't have an option for showing or hiding the components, so I don't know what to do to show them on the diagram. Please help! Incidentally, in UML 1.1, the components were nothing but a list of strings/text appended to the bottom of the node. I'd be perfectly happy with that as well, but there is no option for it (perhaps UML 2.0 did away with it). So either way, I'...

What files I need to use the Simplified Chinese function?
When I tried to convert traditional chinese text to simplified chinese using the Simplified function in MS word, I was prompted that "Word in unable to proceed. More than one file necessary to do TC/SC translation is missing". Can I know what are the files that is needed? On Dec 12, 9:56=A0am, MK <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I tried to convert traditional chinese text to simplified chinese us= ing > the Simplified function in MS word, I was prompted that "Word in unable t= o > proceed.MorethanonefilenecessarytodoTC/SCtranslation ismi...

Deploy script
Hi, How can I customize the the FOR command below to loop through the files inside the Database folder following the order of the number prefixed in the file name? FOR /R ../Database %%f IN (*.sql) DO sqlcmd -S %1 -d %2 -U %4 -P %5 -i "%%~f" >> Logs/%2_DBInstall.log || goto errors Database folder contains: 001_usp_procedure1.sql 002_ups_procedure2.sql Thanks very much, ...

Help with process to Export Contacts to Excel
I am a home user and working from Outlook 2003. In following the steps to export Contacts to Excel, it requires a Outlook translator download. I get an error message during the download of the translator program asking for me to either insert Outlook CD or Browse and select the original download source (either a CD or from a network). I do not have the CD and do not know how move forward to export from Contacts to Excel. Please help this beginner.... Thanks Sounds like none of the translators were installed and without the install CD - not much you can do from within Outlo...

Killing a process
I have a VC++/MFC app that interacts with the Adobe Acrobat API. In certain situations, Acrobat gets hung up and I need to kill th eprocess from the Task Manager. I need a way for our users from a menu pick to be able to kill the process without having to go into Task Manager. What is the easiest way to get a handle to the process and then kill it? Thanks for your help. Regards, -Rob // Take a snapshot of all processes in the system. HANDLE hProcessSnap = CreateToolhelp32Snapshot (TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS, 0); if(hProcessSnap == (HANDLE)-1) return (FALSE); /...

processing WM_USER message
Hello All, Is it possible to process User defined message (WM_USER + X) in WM_COMMAND message. I am using VC6.0 Dialog base application.. Thanx in advance. Vivek --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.682 / Virus Database: 444 - Release Date: 5/11/2004 >Is it possible to process User defined message (WM_USER + X) in WM_COMMAND >message. You seem to be a little confused. WM_COMMAND is a specific message number, as would be your custom message (I'd recommend you use WM_APP + X). You'd handle your cus...

if.... Anyway around this?
I'm new to this. I need to drop a value into a cell where there is nothing. The 'target' cell should not have a formula because some days I would need to place a one time value there , doing so would wipe out the formula. Example: A1 B1 C1 BOB JOE =IF(A1="bob",A2=B1) A2 (BLANK) I need the blank cell (A2) to take the value of B1 if C1 is true. Maybe I have the syntax wrong, maybe it's not possible. Let me know. Thanks In C1, enter =A1="bob" In A2, enter =IF(C1, B1, ""...

Mailbox creation process
can you plz let me know the processes involved internally when i create a AD account with a mailbox. Thanks & Regards Swamy The account gets several mail attributes - you can view them before and after with LDP. HOW TO: Create a Mailbox-Enabled Recipient by Using C# .NET http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313114 HOWTO: Create a Mail-Enabled User with CDOEXM in Visual C++ http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293339 The Recipient Update Service then sees a new object based on a query and adds the e-mail addresses and a couple other attributes. XADM: Requirements for Disabling the Recip...

is there anyway to create a clone of an excel sheet in vba?
is there anyway to create a clone of an excel sheet in vba? Hi Daniel, To add a copy in the same workbook, try: Sub Tester With ActiveWorkbook .Sheets("MySheet").Copy After:=.Sheets(Sheets.Count) End With End Sub To create a new single-sheet workbook containing a copy of the sheet, try: Sub Tester2 ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("MySheet").copy End sub --- Regards, Norman "Daniel" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uIBBqHegFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > is there anyway to create a clone of an excel sheet in vba? > > ...

How to process a file in memory?
Hi i am working with Encryption and decryption. I have an encrypted file. Which i want to decrypt for further processing. But i have to decrypt it in memory file not as a hard disk file. Could anybody please let me know, how to make a memory file which will exist in in memory as long as the program is running. My decryption function signature is: void Decrypt(FILE *sourceFile, FILE *targetFile) "sourceFile" is encrypted file which i want to decrypt, and "targetFile" will be output of decryption (this must be created in memory not on hard disk) for further processing. ...

Process Server GP 9.0
I am trying to get the Process Server setup, and I am running into an issue. I start the dps.exe file on the server as described in the admin guide. I am then able to go a Great Plains Citrix installation, and add that server to the DPS server nand have the Verify Server checkbox checked. It loads fine. I then add the Financial TB as the report to process remotely, and I enter the server name as entered in the Process Server screen. When I fo to USer Preferences to change to remote Processing, the Remote Process radio button is greayed out, and I can't select it. My report does not...

Deploying CRM on SBS
I am in the process of getting ready to install CRM 4.0 onto our 2003 SBS I need to update the SBS to sp1 for this to happen. I have downloaded all the parts for this. My main question is do i need to install all these parts if im not using any of those function on the SBS? i.e we dont have exchange or sharepoint on there. Also is there any other issue or problems people have found when installing CRM 4.0, is it best to use it with outlook 2003 or 2007? ...

Retrieving Process Monitor Queue information
Hi I am using GP 9.0. Is there any way to know that process exists in process monitor queue? If someone removes process from process monitor then how can we know through dexterity programming, that process no longer exists in process monitor? Are there any system functions or any other option to get the details from process monitor about particular process in GP 9.0? In one of the article (no. 850551) of Microsoft Knowledge Base, there are no. of system functions given to retrieve the process monitor queue information. There is one Function called “Queue_GetProcessIDFromIndex” in that ...

launch outlook installer processes failed
Hi, When i am trying to install MS CRM 3.0 on a computer , the set up fails " launch outlook installer processes failed". If i look at the folders , i see one new folder " personal folder" and folders becomes double and triple when i try to re-install. is there anything i am missing in outlook? thanks Aami Try asking in the microsoft.public.crm newsgroup, since it's the group = that handles the Microsoft CRM add-in for Outlookk.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm ...

Sales Process Question 06-07-04
I have set-up a sales process w/ sales stages. When I use it, the default sales stage is the last entry in my sales process. I'm expecting the first entry? This is giving me a warning message stating if I go back to an earlier stage..blah blah blah. Does anyone know how to get around this or am I missing something. Tks ...

Active Directory Backup Setup
my question is this. what good is a backup domain controller anyway. it does not appear to be a real backup. I setup a DC for my domain and then setup an additional DC on the network. when I pull the network cable out of the first DC, nothing is accessible (users, groups, etc) on the second domain controller. the information is only there if the first DC is up and running. Did I setup the second dc incorrectly? I thought the second dc is to be used in case the primary fails. thanks for your insight and perhaps what I'm doing wrong. -- jjj0923 ---------------...

Simplifying my previous question ...
I suspect that (since I didn't get any response on my previous request for assistance) I may need to approach this in stages ... Assuming that Information Rights Management (IRM) won't give me the detailed permissions I need, basically, here's what I need: 1. A Macro that will unprotect a series of Workbooks (approximately 200 of them) so that the Auto Update function in Linked Data can update without user intervention. 2. I copied this Macro from a previous post -- how can I modify the following code to achieve what I need from it: Can I use something like this? I ...

Anyway to search for a folder name?
I have about a 200 folders, I used to have them in trays but the trays are gone, so I want to find a folder that has the word "training" in it. Is there a way to search for a folder name in outlook 2003? There should be an Advanced Find option in 2003 (I don't use 2003 yet). In earlier versions of Outlook there is a find button on either the standard or advanced toolbar. -- K. Orland Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny "Kim Webb" wrote: > I have about a 200...