Help with duplicate fields

Hi All,

Supose I have a Products table with code and description fields:

cod description
--- -----------
001 hamburger
002 cheesburger
003 hotdog

In this particular case, duplicate codes are not a problem since the
code is not a primary key,and similar items stocked at various
facilities will have the same code, with another field being used to
determine the specific stock item's location. So this looks more like
the actual table:

code loc description
---- --- -----------
001   A  hamburger
002   A  cheesburger
003   A  hotdog
001   B  hamburger
002   B  cheesburger
003   B  hotdog

Now suppose that someone at site B types different descriptions (for
instance, "burger" instead of "hamburger" or "hot-dog" instead of
"hotdog")? How can I select ONLY those items that, while having
identical codes, have different description fields? I'd like to
present a list of description conflicts across sites, so they can be
resolved. From the above, this is the desired output:

code loc description
---- --- -----------
001   A  hamburger
001   B  burger
003   A  hotdog
003   B  hot-dog

Thanks for any ideas,
Bruno.
0
Bruno

One way

Select p.cod, p.loc, p.description
From Products p
Inner Join (Select p1.cod, Count(Distinct p1.description
  From Products p1
  Group By p1.cod
  Having Count(Distinct p1.description) > 1);

Of course, the best solution to this sort of problem is to have a normalized
database, something like

Create Table Products (cod int not null,
 description varchar(25) not null,
 Constraint PKProducts Primary Key (cod),
 Constraint UKProductsDescription Unique (description));

Create Table ProductLocations(cod int not null,
  loc char(1) not null,
  Constraint PKProductLocations Primary Key (cod, loc));

If you have a normalized database like the above, this problem can't ever
occur.

Tom

"Bruno" <brunobl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Supose I have a Products table with code and description fields:
>
> cod description
> --- -----------
> 001 hamburger
> 002 cheesburger
> 003 hotdog
>
> In this particular case, duplicate codes are not a problem since the
> code is not a primary key,and similar items stocked at various
> facilities will have the same code, with another field being used to
> determine the specific stock item's location. So this looks more like
> the actual table:
>
> code loc description
> ---- --- -----------
> 001   A  hamburger
> 002   A  cheesburger
> 003   A  hotdog
> 001   B  hamburger
> 002   B  cheesburger
> 003   B  hotdog
>
> Now suppose that someone at site B types different descriptions (for
> instance, "burger" instead of "hamburger" or "hot-dog" instead of
> "hotdog")? How can I select ONLY those items that, while having
> identical codes, have different description fields? I'd like to
> present a list of description conflicts across sites, so they can be
> resolved. From the above, this is the desired output:
>
> code loc description
> ---- --- -----------
> 001   A  hamburger
> 001   B  burger
> 003   A  hotdog
> 003   B  hot-dog
>

> Thanks for any ideas,
> Bruno.

0
Tom
3/3/2010 5:53:02 PM
Try this:

SELECT code, loc, description
FROM (
SELECT code, loc, description,
        COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY code, description) AS cnt
FROM Codes) AS C
WHERE cnt = 1;

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com

First, thanks so much for putting your time into this.

>One way
>
>Select p.cod, p.loc, p.description
>From Products p
>Inner Join (Select p1.cod, Count(Distinct p1.description
>  From Products p1
>  Group By p1.cod
>  Having Count(Distinct p1.description) > 1);

I can't get that to run. I see there is a parethesis mismatch
somewhere but cannot for the life of me find the right configuration.

I'd be VERY grateful if you could spare yet some more time and help me
out trying to get this example to run.

Thanks for the normalizing heads-up. This is a cross-platform, 24yrs+
old system with clipper/DBF & SQL ends. Pretty interesting stuff.

Thanks again,
Bruno.
0
Bruno
3/3/2010 8:11:15 PM
Hi Plamen,
Thanks for helping!

>Try this:
>
>SELECT code, loc, description
>FROM (
>SELECT code, loc, description,
>        COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY code, description) AS cnt
>FROM Codes) AS C
>WHERE cnt = 1;

Your example program does return the records with different
descriptions for the same code, but interestingly, some of the codes
returned refer only to one of the locations.

For example, for a sample like this

code loc description
---- --- -----------
001   A  hamburger
002   A  cheesburger
003   A  hotdog
001   B  burger
002   B  cheesburger
003   B  hot-dog

The result dataset might be, for instance,

code loc description
---- --- -----------
001   A  hamburger
003   A  hotdog
003   B  hot-dog

The burger should also be in the list as it is one of the affected
items, but is missing.

This is only an example of course, so maybe it won't reflect the exact
result you get if you are testing with those exact records. My results
were with a live database, withresults similar to the above.

I wonder if you have other ideas to further refine your suggestion?

Many, many thanks,
Bruno.
0
Bruno
3/3/2010 8:35:01 PM
My fault.  I definitely needed another cup of coffee this morning.

Should have been

Select p.cod, p.loc, p.description
From Products p
Inner Join (Select p1.cod, Count(Distinct p1.description) As DistinctCount
  From Products p1
  Group By p1.cod
  Having Count(Distinct p1.description) > 1) As x On p.cod = x.cod;

> Tom,
>
> First, thanks so much for putting your time into this.
>
>>One way
>>
>>Select p.cod, p.loc, p.description
>>From Products p
>>Inner Join (Select p1.cod, Count(Distinct p1.description
>>  From Products p1
>>  Group By p1.cod
>>  Having Count(Distinct p1.description) > 1);
>
> I can't get that to run. I see there is a parethesis mismatch
> somewhere but cannot for the life of me find the right configuration.
>
> I'd be VERY grateful if you could spare yet some more time and help me
> out trying to get this example to run.
>
> Thanks for the normalizing heads-up. This is a cross-platform, 24yrs+
> old system with clipper/DBF & SQL ends. Pretty interesting stuff.
>
> Thanks again,
> Bruno.

0
Tom
3/3/2010 10:04:51 PM
Not sure I understand, but try this:

SELECT code, loc, description
FROM (
SELECT code, loc, description,
        COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY code, description) AS cnt,
        COUNT(*) OVER (PARTITION BY code) AS cnt2
FROM Codes) AS C
WHERE cnt <> cnt2;

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com

Both of your suggestions worked beautifully, and after a quick ORDER
BY, both gave the exact same resulting dataset.

I'd like to thank you both for providing me with valuable practical
examples in  problem-solving (with two different approaches, to boot)
with SQL.

You guys rock!
Thanks again.

All the best wishes for the both of you.
Bruno.
0
Bruno

sumifs help

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

IV00102 Fields
These four fields are set to zero when I create a new item and assign it to a location. However, when I look at the table descriptions zero is not a valid value for any of them. Are these four fields currently used for anything or are they there for future use? This currently is GP10 SP3. 1) IV00102.REPLENISHLEVEL 2) IV00102.POPVENDORSELECTION 3) IV00102.POPPRICINGSELECTION 4) IV00102.PICKTICKETITEMOPT Rich, Replenishment Level is the default replenishment level for POP Auto Generator. Values are 1, 2 and 3. 1 for Order point QTy, 2 for order upto level, 3 for vendor EoQ. If these fiel...

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Duplicate playlists are created
When I created a playlist folder it was created one such playlist, but sometime later I found that another one being the same name was created. As matter of fact all playlist folders so far created are now their duplicate folders. How come this is happening? ...

Rules Wizard Help

Field by Field Comparison
I have two tables with the exact same column names. I want to do a field by field comparison of the two tables. If one letter or number is off in any field, I would like for the whole record to show up in my query. I can only figure out how to show records which are equal. I would like to show records which are not equal. Is there a query criteria or something where I can perform this? Thanks. Do a UNION query. Create a query that lists all the field in one table. Then open that query in SQL view. At the end of the SQL, delete the semicolon ";". At the...

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

IF OR help
I have entered the formula =IF(OR(D5="K",D5<=4,M32<=95),"INELIGIBLE"," ") I am trying to get a result that will display INELIGIBLE when the value in D5 is K,1,2,3,4 OR the value in M32 is less than 96. with this formula I now get INELIGIBLE when D5 is blank. I would like cell to be blank unless one of the specific conditions is met. If either D5 or M32 is blank, I would like this cell to also be blank M32 contains a formula that returns a blank cell unless data is entered elsewhere in the workbook Thanks for all the help -- dbconn...

Bank Puts Memo Info in "Pay to" field
It seems my bank puts the info from the memo field into the "Pay to" field- so the field ends up reading "POS Kwik Trip Convenience Store #49587" but nothing goes in the memo field. Any thoughts? In microsoft.public.money, A Smith wrote: >It seems my bank puts the info from the memo field into the "Pay to" field- >so the field ends up reading "POS Kwik Trip Convenience Store #49587" but >nothing goes in the memo field. >Any thoughts? Did you say that backwards? You would want that info in the Payee field, I would think. This info...