Connect to SQL Express 2008 on local machine

Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008
database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link
to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't
see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give
myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray
0
Auntie
3/19/2010 7:46:57 AM
sqlserver.programming 1873 articles. 0 followers. Follow

6 Replies
1126 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 19

You're lucky. I can't even get Access to connect to sql server at all. I 
tried with Access XP and sql server 2008, but Access throws a canary and 
tells me only sql server 2000 databases or earlier are supported. I also 
tried using Access 2010 beta, but it doesn't even give me a choice for sql 
server 2008. It wants an ODBC provider but I don't have one. Any ideas?
"Auntie Jack" <raycorbin1@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:de023d8f-eb7c-48ed-adcd-07996d525574@33g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008
> database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link
> to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't
> see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give
> myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray 


0
Andy
3/19/2010 9:17:14 AM
Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
no go.

Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
Server to connect to.
Jack
0
Auntie
3/19/2010 10:24:36 AM
On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
> no go.
>
> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
> Server to connect to.
> Jack

Solved it. Try this:
Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
Configuration Manager

Click on SQL Server Services

Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
(local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
\MYMACHINENAME.
For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack
0
Auntie
3/19/2010 8:21:55 PM
Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist or 
there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other ideas?
"Auntie Jack" <raycorbin1@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:a40ed92e-e8e4-4e11-8d0a-9dbb10053e01@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
>> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
>> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
>> no go.
>>
>> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
>> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
>> Server to connect to.
>> Jack
>
> Solved it. Try this:
> Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
> Configuration Manager
>
> Click on SQL Server Services
>
> Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
> that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
> Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
> (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
> \MYMACHINENAME.
> For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
> UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack 


0
Andy
3/20/2010 3:41:35 PM
On 20 Mar, 15:41, "Andy B." <a_bo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist or
> there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other ideas?"Auntie Jack" <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:a40ed92e-e8e4-4e11-8d0a-9dbb10053e01@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
> >> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
> >> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
> >> no go.
>
> >> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
> >> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
> >> Server to connect to.
> >> Jack
>
> > Solved it. Try this:
> > Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
> > Configuration Manager
>
> > Click on SQL Server Services
>
> > Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
> > that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
> > Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
> > (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
> > \MYMACHINENAME.
> > For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
> > UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack

If it says that the Server cannot be found or doesn't exist, it seems
to be that the name you have entered is not the correct way of
referring to the SQL Server. Use the steps above to make sure that the
name is correct. (local)\SQLExpress should at least enable you to
connect.

Are you trying to create a dsn independently of Access? I'd try that
first. Go Control Panel, System and Security, Double click Data
Sources ODBC then the File DSN tab. Click Add, select SQL Server,
enter names for the files (doesn't matter what they are), then the
wizard requests "Which SQL Server do you want to connect to?" This is
the money question. (local)\SQLExpress should get you through. The
options in the dropdowns wont necessarily help you here - type (local)
\SQLExpress in manually. Select Windows Authentication, then under
"Change the Default Database to" on the next screen you should see
your database names. After you save this, then you can use it to link
your tables. You can also open the dsn file in notepad to see what
goes in your connect string.
0
Auntie
3/20/2010 11:29:05 PM
"Auntie Jack" <raycorbin1@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:b470ad16-ee3d-4070-ae5d-5136b6c4f5f0@e7g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...
> On 20 Mar, 15:41, "Andy B." <a_bo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist 
>> or
>> there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other 
>> ideas?"Auntie Jack" <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:a40ed92e-e8e4-4e11-8d0a-9dbb10053e01@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> > On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
>> >> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
>> >> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
>> >> no go.
>>
>> >> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
>> >> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
>> >> Server to connect to.
>> >> Jack
>>
>> > Solved it. Try this:
>> > Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
>> > Configuration Manager
>>
>> > Click on SQL Server Services
>>
>> > Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
>> > that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
>> > Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
>> > (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
>> > \MYMACHINENAME.
>> > For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
>> > UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack
>
> If it says that the Server cannot be found or doesn't exist, it seems
> to be that the name you have entered is not the correct way of
> referring to the SQL Server. Use the steps above to make sure that the
> name is correct. (local)\SQLExpress should at least enable you to
> connect.
>
> Are you trying to create a dsn independently of Access? I'd try that
> first. Go Control Panel, System and Security, Double click Data
> Sources ODBC then the File DSN tab. Click Add, select SQL Server,
> enter names for the files (doesn't matter what they are), then the
> wizard requests "Which SQL Server do you want to connect to?" This is
> the money question. (local)\SQLExpress should get you through. The
> options in the dropdowns wont necessarily help you here - type (local)
> \SQLExpress in manually. Select Windows Authentication, then under
> "Change the Default Database to" on the next screen you should see
> your database names. After you save this, then you can use it to link
> your tables. You can also open the dsn file in notepad to see what
> goes in your connect string.

Hi.

I was able to connect to the local server. I tried doing a remote server, 
but no matter what I try, ODBC, DSN and regular connection fails. When I was 
able to go to file>new and make a project(new data) and connect to the local 
server, I get the following error: "The new database wizard failed to create 
the new database 'SqlDataProject'. The new database wizard needs to be 
connected to sql server 6SP4 or later. Connect to a data source". Any other 
ideas? 


0
Andy
3/22/2010 9:25:28 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook express rules into outlook
Hi, I'm a long term user of Outlook Express, mainly for its ability to handle news as well as mail. Its message store as little flaky, to say the least, so I'm attempting to migrate back to Outlook for mail, I'm intending to try to use Windows Live Mail for news, since it seems to have a more robust message store. I've imported my Outlook Express accounts, messages and rules, after a fashion. The rules do not seem to have survived the import unscathed. I have many rules of the form: If 'from' contains 'address' OR If 'to or cc' contains 'addr...

Outlook 2003: Cannot connect to Exchange Server 2000
We have installed Outlook 2003, and have configured it to connect to Exchange Server 2000. But each time we try to open any Exchange mailboxes in Outlook, we get the following error: "The set of folders could not be opened." The details button shows the follows: "This error usually appears if the OST or PST file you are using is: -Unavailable -Protected with file permissions -On a share on a server and the network is down -Corrupt To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local computer. You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools t...

Microsoft Document Connection gives error "Only connections to SharePoint or SkyDrive servers are supported."
Trying to connect to my SharePoint server using Microsoft Document Connection with Mac Office 2011. Getting this frustrating error: "Only connections to SharePoint or SkyDrive servers are supported." I have the full version of Mac Office 2011 (not student/teacher edition) and am running MOSS 2007 Service Pack 2 (12.0.0.6421) on my server. I have no problem connecting to SharePoint using anything else. Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried the basic authentication option, too but this has has no effect. Thanks in advance! Toby On Jan 25, 8:22=A0pm, Toby <tobybore...@gmail...

Local Delivery #3
Hi, We need to disable local deliver on exchnage, we want to disable Local Delivery for all mail that are sent internally and send them insteed thru SMTP. Any idea? ----------------------- Marcin S. what is the objective? what version Exchange? SMTP is the default protocol for Exchange 2000/2003... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Marcin S." <MarcinS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1304F974-48A6-4B5A-B613-560A3BFE42FA@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > We need to disable local deliver on exchnage, we want to disable Local > Delivery for all mail that are...

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

SQL Server Backup overwrite?
My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak. I want to over write this backup with S:\backup\retail.bak using INIT. My question is will this make two copies (retail123.bak, retail.bak) or will this overwrite the existing retail123.bak and saves only one backup i.e. retail.bak. Do I need to add SKIP command also so that it will overwrite any backup exists in that folder with retail name? Please clarify.. On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:45:58 -0700 (PDT), Bero <robertatnova@gmail.com> wrote: >My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak. >I want t...

Microsoft Outlook Express #3
I am having a weird program with Outlook Express. I use Roadrunner. I have two computers networked. When I try to read my e-mail I have different e-mail on each computer. For some reason all of my e-mail does not appear on both of the computers. It is frustrating to have to open Outlook Express on both to see all of the e-mail. This problem started occurring after I had to have the hard drive reformated on one of my computers. I have Internet Explorer 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2) on both computers. Can some one tell how to fix this problem. I have installed all the updates on both compu...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Add two expressions ?
Hello! I do have this, which works just fine: c4=COUNTIF(Sheet1!S2:S300;"Yes") But I would like to increase the formula with also this: (Sheet1!A2:A300;"Sweden") So, how do I use both of them please? (&&, AND or something simula maybe?) Thanks a lot in advance ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!S2:S300="Yes")*(Sheet1!A2:A300="Sweden")) -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out acros...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Parameter query with expressions and calculations
Hi Everyone, I am using Access 2003. I have been working on this query for a few weeks using my Access book, examples from this group and google searches. I am pretty close to getting what I want but I am getting frustrated and mixed up and I can't seem to figure it out. I'm starting to get mixed up trying to explain this too so I am going to post and let you guys help me organize my thoughts...geesh! In regular words here is what I want. My database is of patients and information about the therapy we are giving them and how long they are on that therapy. I w...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

Outlook Express address book #8
I can add addresses to contacts but it won't let me create or add contacts to the address book??? said something about contacting the administrator to crate an address book Address books are just virtual views of contacts - they contain only contacts with electronic addresses. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-R...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...

No Internet connections in Network connections!!!
Hi im new to this forum and really need help. Yesterday I decided to set up my computer again (It had been in the garage because I wasn't using it for a while). Anyways, when I first started it up it worked fine and the internet connection worked as well. Later on it began to shut off unexpectedly if i tried to remove a program through task manager that wasn't working, so since it didn't have any important data, I decided to reformat my hardrive and reinstall microsoft xp. When I started up my cpu again, I noticed that there were no connections, even though I had not unp...

SQL Server Question
I know that this is probably the wrong place to put this, but I don't know where the SQL server communities are. Therefore, I am hoping someone can help me anyway. I am very new to SQL server, but have extensive experience in Access. I am now moving an Access database to SQL Server. One of my tables has about 34000 records. I moved this to SQL and then added a new field called bit_Supply. Now I cannot modify any of the values of the table in Access. Here is the problem. For some reason, Access says the data in the field is "0" (zero). SQL Server says the data in t...

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...

Problem accessing remote SQL Server from C# application
I have a remote SQL Sever 2008 DB which works flawlessly when using Management Studio. However, whenever I try to reach the DB from a C# app developed on Visual Studio 2008, I get "40 =96 could not open a connection to SQL server" or something similar. I guess it has nothing to do with the connection to the server, since port 1433 is open on the server, and I can access the data, and perform any operarion with it, using Management Studio. Is there any other thing I should try? Thanks is advance http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/09/30/SQL-Server-2005-Remot...

SQL Server ODBC Error
I have an Excel 2000 sheet based on a MS Query to a SQL Server 2000 database. When I refresh the query, the ODBC connection fails with this error: SQLState: '01000' SQL Server Error: 11001 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets][ConnectionOpen (Connect()). Connection failed: SQLState: '08001' SQL Server Error: 6 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]Specified SQL Server not found. An Access database with links to this SQL Server data source works just fine. I tested the ODBC connection and it works fine. The problem cropped up after the database ...