Connect to SQL Express 2008 on local machine

Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008
database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link
to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't
see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give
myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray
0
Auntie

You're lucky. I can't even get Access to connect to sql server at all. I
tried with Access XP and sql server 2008, but Access throws a canary and
tells me only sql server 2000 databases or earlier are supported. I also
tried using Access 2010 beta, but it doesn't even give me a choice for sql
server 2008. It wants an ODBC provider but I don't have one. Any ideas?
"Auntie Jack" <raycorbin1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008
> database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link
> to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't
> see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give
> myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray

0
Andy
3/19/2010 9:17:14 AM
Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
no go.

Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
Server to connect to.
Jack
0
Auntie
3/19/2010 10:24:36 AM
On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
> no go.
>
> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
> Server to connect to.
> Jack

Solved it. Try this:
Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
Configuration Manager

Click on SQL Server Services

Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
(local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
\MYMACHINENAME.
For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack
0
Auntie
3/19/2010 8:21:55 PM
Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist or
there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other ideas?
> On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
>> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
>> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
>> no go.
>>
>> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
>> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
>> Server to connect to.
>> Jack
>
> Solved it. Try this:
> Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
> Configuration Manager
>
> Click on SQL Server Services
>
> Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
> that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
> Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
> (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
> \MYMACHINENAME.
> For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
> UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack

0
Andy
3/20/2010 3:41:35 PM
On 20 Mar, 15:41, "Andy B." <a_bo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist or
> there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other ideas?"Auntie Jack" <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On 19 Mar, 10:24, Auntie Jack <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Crikey! It's the opposite with me - I have an Access 2003 front end
> >> linking quite happily to a SQL Server 2008 db over a vpn, but when I
> >> try and link Access 2007 to SQLServer Express, both on my own laptop,
> >> no go.
>
> >> Perhaps you need to check your Jet or MDAC versions? When you create
> >> the new DSN, make sure that you specify (local)\SQLExpress as the
> >> Server to connect to.
> >> Jack
>
> > Solved it. Try this:
> > Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
> > Configuration Manager
>
> > Click on SQL Server Services
>
> > Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
> > that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
> > Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
> > (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
> > \MYMACHINENAME.
> > For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
> > UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack

If it says that the Server cannot be found or doesn't exist, it seems
to be that the name you have entered is not the correct way of
referring to the SQL Server. Use the steps above to make sure that the
name is correct. (local)\SQLExpress should at least enable you to
connect.

Are you trying to create a dsn independently of Access? I'd try that
first. Go Control Panel, System and Security, Double click Data
Sources ODBC then the File DSN tab. Click Add, select SQL Server,
enter names for the files (doesn't matter what they are), then the
wizard requests "Which SQL Server do you want to connect to?" This is
the money question. (local)\SQLExpress should get you through. The
options in the dropdowns wont necessarily help you here - type (local)
\SQLExpress in manually. Select Windows Authentication, then under
"Change the Default Database to" on the next screen you should see
your database names. After you save this, then you can use it to link
your tables. You can also open the dsn file in notepad to see what
goes in your connect string.
0
Auntie
3/20/2010 11:29:05 PM
> On 20 Mar, 15:41, "Andy B." <a_bo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Mine keeps complaining about the server couldn't be found, doesn't exist
>> or
>> there is some other strange problem with the driver. Any other
>> ideas?"Auntie Jack" <raycorb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Solved it. Try this:
>> > Start / Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / Configuration Tools / SQL Server
>> > Configuration Manager
>>
>> > Click on SQL Server Services
>>
>> > Check which Services are running. If you have SQL Server \ SQLEXPRESS,
>> > that's fine. If you have another Service running (on mine it was SQL
>> > Server / MYMACHINENAME) then when you create the DSN, don't enter
>> > (local)\SQLExpress as the Server name. Instead, try (local)
>> > \MYMACHINENAME.
>> > For me (after a million experiments and some excellent suggestions on
>> > UtterAccess) it worked. Good luck to others. Jack
>
> If it says that the Server cannot be found or doesn't exist, it seems
> to be that the name you have entered is not the correct way of
> referring to the SQL Server. Use the steps above to make sure that the
> name is correct. (local)\SQLExpress should at least enable you to
> connect.
>
> Are you trying to create a dsn independently of Access? I'd try that
> first. Go Control Panel, System and Security, Double click Data
> Sources ODBC then the File DSN tab. Click Add, select SQL Server,
> enter names for the files (doesn't matter what they are), then the
> wizard requests "Which SQL Server do you want to connect to?" This is
> the money question. (local)\SQLExpress should get you through. The
> options in the dropdowns wont necessarily help you here - type (local)
> \SQLExpress in manually. Select Windows Authentication, then under
> "Change the Default Database to" on the next screen you should see
> your database names. After you save this, then you can use it to link
> your tables. You can also open the dsn file in notepad to see what
> goes in your connect string.

Hi.

I was able to connect to the local server. I tried doing a remote server,
but no matter what I try, ODBC, DSN and regular connection fails. When I was
able to go to file>new and make a project(new data) and connect to the local
server, I get the following error: "The new database wizard failed to create
the new database 'SqlDataProject'. The new database wizard needs to be
connected to sql server 6SP4 or later. Connect to a data source". Any other
ideas?

0
Andy

How can I delete spam in Outlook Express
Hi, when I try to delete spam from the spam box a message states that I do not have the authority to do this, and when I clic on the Properties Box all items are greyed out. Help much appreciated "Longshot" <Longshot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2CC84E74-1926-4AFE-B4A3-5D826E8A8EC7@microsoft.com... > Hi, when I try to delete spam from the spam box a message states that I do > not have the authority to do this, and when I clic on the Properties Box > all > items are greyed out. > Help much appreciated This newsgroup is for support of Out...

SQL category update code
What would be a code to update a catory field if a specific name is in the item description line, For example if the description contains Brandy set the item's category to brandy ? thanks Robert Robert - first you'll need to know what categoryID has been assigned to your brandy department - run the following query select * from category then jot down the ID of the "brandy" category... lets say the ID is 3 your update query will be UPDATE ITEM SET CATEGORYID = 3 WHERE DEPARTMENT LIKE '%BRANDY%'; the % sign allows for any word before and after the word brandy...

version of money plus deluxe 2007 or 2008
rI cannot tell from the product on my machine which year it is--2007 or 2008? I have the version number but not the date. I bought money plus deluxe in November 2007 and installed it in April 2008. How can I find the date of the product? I tried to go through MS suppot but seems I will have to pay to find this out. Should be on the program somewhere but I cannot find it. Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, Puzzled wrote: >rI cannot tell from the product on my machine which year it is--2007 or 2008? > I have the version number but not the date. I bought money plus d...

SQL Express 2008
I have Server 2008 Standard and just downloaded SQL Express 2008 from MS. The Management Studio tool is not included in the install. I then tried to download the Management Studio directly from MS and get "error on page", so no download. Where can I get this tool? All the MS documentation points me to non-existent pages. Thank you for your help. cn (cn@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > I have Server 2008 Standard and just downloaded SQL Express 2008 from > MS. The Management Studio tool is not included in the install. I then > tried to download the M...

Outlook and autoconnecting to a DSL connection
I am having a problem getting Outlook 2003 to automatically connect to my ISP via a DSL (PPPoE) connection. I am looking for the same behavior I see when I fire up Internet Explorer - I want to simply start the application and the connection is automatically done to the web. It is mostly a nuisance since I can connect manually or first bring up IE, but I'd still like it to work more like a cable connection or LAN. There are 3 ways to configure a connection in Outlook: 1) LAN with/without a modem, 2) Dial Up, and 3) Same as IE or 3rd party. I've tried all of these to no avail. This...

Does RMS 2.0 w/SQL Express 2005 automatically increase db to 4GB
Hello, We have upgraded all our stores from RMS 1.2 to RMS 2.0. RMS 1.2 has a 2GB limit and RMS 2.0 has 4GB. We have our 1st store getting close to the 2GB limit on RMS 2.0 with SQL Express 2005. During the upgrade from RMS 1.2 SQL MSDE 2000 to RMS 2.0 SQL Express 2005 does it automatically upgrade the current store database from the 2GB limit to the 4GB limit? Have anyone else ran into this? How to fix it if it did not increase the size during the upgrade? Ed just leave it alone, it's built-in logic to SQL Express 2005. "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Missing Network Connections items
Something has gotten corrupted in my network connection services. When I click on Control Panel>>Network Connections, I am missing Local Area Connection, Wifi Connection and New Connection and Network Setup Wizards. I also no longer see the LAN & Wifi icons in the tray, so I am unable to get to Local Area and Wifi Connection Properties dialogs and I can't connect to available wifi networks. Any idea how to get these items back so I can access them? Are there any back to services I can access to get wifi connected and restore the missing icons? I have a Lenovo...

Outlook 2003 Cannot Connect to Exchange
Hi everybody, I have a problem with my Outlook. It was running just fine this morning and then I had to install some VPN client software called Aventail. It's web-based and made some modifications to my security certificates. Following that, I haven't been able to connect to the Exchange Server to pick up my mail from Outlook (luckily, the web interface still works for me). Does anyone know how to fix this? Or am I going to be uninstalling Aventail and crossing my fingers? Can you ping the server and resolve its FQDN? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook...

Excel 2007
When I use query to connect to an external ODBC data source a table is automatically created. I really don't want a table, I just want a data range that can be refreshed. If I convert the table to a data range, the query/connection information is deleted. How can I connect a data range to the ODBC source? -- Lolt Proegler Hi there, Just wondering if you ever managed to resolve this issue, I have just noticed this issue having recently started using 2007 with external links. Never had this problem in 2003. It stops me from being able to use the subtotal function. regards &quo...

How do I install DPM 2010 Agent on another DPM 2010 Machine
I have two machines installed with DPM 2010. One is currently backing up my Exchange Server but I wish to use the second one for Offsite Replication/Disaster Recovery. Everytime I try to install the DPM Agent on the primary machine it tells me I am not allowed to install the Agent on a DPM Server. Can you tell me how to install this? You do not need to install agent separately on DPM machine. The agent functionality is made available as part of DPM installation itself. You can go ahead and start the protection. -- “Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "...

Outlook express #72
I cannot delete sent emails in the the sent folder. I have no trouble deleting anywhere else. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups microsoft.p...

Outlook Express Printing while on line
I cannot print my emails while I am on line. Disconect and I can print OK. While on line I cannot connect to a Website either, where am I being silly here? Any assistance will be gratefully received. Cheers Matthew McGowan UK This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002, and 2003. If you have questions regarding Outlook Express please post your question in one of the applicable groups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for O...

Mac Word 2008
I've used Word since version one for DOS and was an alpha tester for the first Word for Windows, so I'm not a total dunce. But for the life of me, I cannot figure how to place in the footer "Page X of Y (total pages)". For at least the last 10 years, plus in Mac Word 2004, I could open the footer and insert this feature easily. I've looked everywhere I can think of for information on how to do this in Mac Word 2008 to no blessed avail!! Why trying to do something that was so easy in previous versions of Word can possibly be viewed as an "enhancement&...

IIF usage in Column Header Expression
I am trying to turn Day of week column headings into the actual dates but get a #ERROR. The expression I am using is "Work Date: IIf([SLICE1]>0,[PERIOD_START],(IIf([SLICE2]>0,([Period_Start]+1))))" Once I get this working I will expand it to all 7 days. The database stores Period_Number, SLICE1, SLICE2, etc. in the Time_Reported table and Period_Number, Period_Start, & Period_End in the User_Period table. Both tables are in the query. Thanks for any help, Alan ...

Alternative to Ms sql server 2005 express edition
Hello Everyone, Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running slow because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a free edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data. And our database which we are currently using is now having more than 4.5 GB. Hence they recommended us to go for a paid one that is specialized edition workgroup and gave us the following link http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx to go through the comparison. The hosting providers says that it will be around 4500 rupees per month for ...

Excel in Office 2008
Is the Excel version in Office 2008 for Home & Student the "full" Excel? Or is it similar to MSWorks, that is not all formula's are supported. TIA "Tom" <TesnoBay@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bb96373f-5a0a-48fd-a81c-356f8356a58f@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Is the Excel version in Office 2008 for Home & Student the "full" > Excel? Or is it similar to MSWorks, that is not all formula's are > supported. > > TIA It is now more like Works thanks to the removal of VBA and the Analysis Toolpack. In article <bb9...

Outlook express messages exportet to outlook 2002 WITHOUT flags or reply arrows
I am trying to import messages from Microsoft Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2002. The messages import okay, but without the 'flag' marks on the outlook expreess email. Also the arrows indicating that the original message has been answered or forwarded. How can I import the Outlook express email into Outlook and still retian the reply/forwarded arrows & flags ...

coin machine
Has anyone successfully integrated a coin machine? I'm inheriting some extra Coin Machines from Tom Thumb (NCR dispensers) and would like to integrate them with RMS. Anyone know how to do this? David RMS doesn't support them directly. You would need an add-in that fires after the tender screen that would access the change machine directly. This is going to be device dependent... -- -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses he...

CRM mobile Express (orders editing)
I have installed the CRM Mobile Express client and everything works well, except the fact that I cannot edit or create orders, everything else works!!!! Please help! Best Regards Cristiano Not all entities supports edie or create with Mobile Express. The only option is to use SDK to modify the public available code. Good luck. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Cristiano" wrote: > I have installed the CRM Mobile Express client and everything works well, > except the fact that I cannot edit or create ...

Connection to Sql-7 Database Fails
Hello All, Here is my problem. I have a Windows SBS 2003 Server with around 7 XP Clients. Since i have a SQL2000 database on the server, i installed a SQL7 database on one of the client machine which runs on XP. Now when my program access the same from database from the same machine it connects Now i tried to access the same database from a different XP machine , i am getting time out. Now if i give the user Administrative rights on my SBS server, i am able to connect to the machine. The problem seems with some security or rights issuse. How can my users connect to the dat...

Changing input locale?
Is there any way to change input locale programmably? This is required because an unknown routine forcely changes current input method locale to English only. Please reply. Thanks in advance. Regards, Hyun-jik Bae ...

SQL Licensing Model
Hi, What query can I run in SQL that will return to me information about the SQL licensing model? I want to know if I have CALs or per processer. Seems like I had this written down somewhere, but now I can't find it. I have a client wanting to add more GP users and I want to make sure they have enough SQL users too. Thanks! Leslie, You have a copy of my MSSQL for Consultants....see page 38 For others in the audience, its.... Select Serverproperty('LicenseType'),ServerProperty('NumLicenses") -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Soft...

Outlook Express irritations #2
2 Problesm - Hi, Brent - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress...

Why "Data Access Page" cannot work in the internet website WHILE it works in the local machine
Dear all, Here below is my "Data Access Page": http://www.dfnissan.com/testdelete/page1.htm I put it in my internet website and put this web address as the "trustable" website in my IE. However, this "Data Access Page" cannot work properly in the website, WHILE it can be work in my own computer. Please help me, why ? Thank you in advance. Martin 2010-05-03 On Mon, 3 May 2010 00:43:15 +0800, "Martin" <lajitong888@21cn.com> wrote: There are a number of steps involved to pull this off. This article http:/...

Cannot select and then copy an entire worksheet, in Excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Have been using excel 97 2004 with no problem for years. Now have new Mac and new excel spreadsheets which are 750 times bigger. Now, as earlier, I can still 'move and copy' a sheet over to a new workbook, but when I select the entire sheet (top left corner), then 'copy' the selection, excel freezes, and I am warned there is not enough memory. <br><br>I want to be able to create individual invoices from my own invoice template spreadsheet (which contains formulas referring to custome...