Can't trim white space from large varchar field

Hi,

    I am reading two very large varchar fields (2600) from the sql
server 2005 database of our ERP. This reading is being done by a
cursor. In the cursor select statement I rtrim and ltrim the field. No
matter what I do the length of the field is always 2600. I can see
that there is some sort of white space to the right of the text.
Whatever that white space is, it can't be trimmed by ltrim or rtrim.

    I tried running the sql from the cursor as a query and had the
same problem.

     Any help would be appreciate it.

fig000
0
fig000

If you do a RTrim of a varchar column, the result will not have trailing
blanks.  However, it might have characters that display as blanks, (for
example a tab character, but there are other possibilities).  If you do a

SELECT CAST(RIGHT(RTRIM(<your column>), 10) As varbinary(10))

that will show you the rightmost 10 characters in hex (you'll get something
like 0x62636465666768202009).  The last two hex digits (09 in this case) is
the rightmost character after the RTRIM.  It would be 20 if it is a blank,
if it is anything else, the rightmost character is not a blank.

Tom

"fig000" <stringmantn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>    I am reading two very large varchar fields (2600) from the sql
> server 2005 database of our ERP. This reading is being done by a
> cursor. In the cursor select statement I rtrim and ltrim the field. No
> matter what I do the length of the field is always 2600. I can see
> that there is some sort of white space to the right of the text.
> Whatever that white space is, it can't be trimmed by ltrim or rtrim.
>
>    I tried running the sql from the cursor as a query and had the
> same problem.
>
>     Any help would be appreciate it.
>
> fig000

0
Tom
9/3/2010 5:32:47 AM
Tom,

  It had occurred to me that there might be bytes other than space (20
hex/23 ascii) in what looks like the whitespace in the field. I did
some experiments using the ascii funciton and found that the white
space is actually filled with ascii 0 or null. I'm not sure I can use
the replace function since there is no alpha representation for 0. Any
suggestions? I can see writing a function to go byte by byte through
the field value and change 0 to 32 so I could them use rtrim to get
rid of the spaces.

   I hope there's a better way.

Neil

On Sep 3, 1:32=A0am, "Tom Cooper" <tomcoo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> If you do a RTrim of a varchar column, the result will not have trailing
> blanks. =A0However, it might have characters that display as blanks, (for
> example a tab character, but there are other possibilities). =A0If you do=
>
> SELECT CAST(RIGHT(RTRIM(<your column>), 10) As varbinary(10))
>
> that will show you the rightmost 10 characters in hex (you'll get somethi=
ng
> like 0x62636465666768202009). =A0The last two hex digits (09 in this case=
) is
> the rightmost character after the RTRIM. =A0It would be 20 if it is a bla=
nk,
> if it is anything else, the rightmost character is not a blank.
>
> Tom
>
> "fig000" <stringma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > =A0 =A0I am reading two very large varchar fields (2600) from the sql
> > server 2005 database of our ERP. This reading is being done by a
> > cursor. In the cursor select statement I rtrim and ltrim the field. No
> > matter what I do the length of the field is always 2600. I can see
> > that there is some sort of white space to the right of the text.
> > Whatever that white space is, it can't be trimmed by ltrim or rtrim.
>
> > =A0 =A0I tried running the sql from the cursor as a query and had the
> > same problem.
>
> > =A0 =A0 Any help would be appreciate it.
>
> > fig000- Hide quoted text -

fig000
9/3/2010 3:34:15 PM
You can use Replace() function.  Because you can get a character will any
possible Ascii value by using the CHAR() function.  For example, the
following code removes all Ascii 0's.

Declare @Test varchar(30)
Set @Test = 'ABC' + Replicate(Char(0), 5);
/* Notice that @Test has 5 hex 00's */
Select 'Before', Cast(@Test As varbinary(30))
Set @Test = Replace(@Test, Char(0), '');
/* The hex 00's are now gone */
Select 'After', Cast(@Test As varbinary(30));

Tom

P.S., you probably already know this, but even though Ascii zero is
sometimes called null (you will often see it as the NUL character in ASCII
charts) and some computer languages use it to mean special things (like the
end of a variable length string), it is very different than the SQL NULL
value.  That is
Set @X = Char(0)
and
Set @X = NULL
are not the same.

On Sep 3, 1:32 am, "Tom Cooper" <tomcoo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> If you do a RTrim of a varchar column, the result will not have trailing
> blanks. However, it might have characters that display as blanks, (for
> example a tab character, but there are other possibilities). If you do a
>
> SELECT CAST(RIGHT(RTRIM(<your column>), 10) As varbinary(10))
>
> that will show you the rightmost 10 characters in hex (you'll get
> something
> like 0x62636465666768202009). The last two hex digits (09 in this case) is
> the rightmost character after the RTRIM. It would be 20 if it is a blank,
> if it is anything else, the rightmost character is not a blank.
>
> Tom
>
> "fig000" <stringma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > I am reading two very large varchar fields (2600) from the sql
> > server 2005 database of our ERP. This reading is being done by a
> > cursor. In the cursor select statement I rtrim and ltrim the field. No
> > matter what I do the length of the field is always 2600. I can see
> > that there is some sort of white space to the right of the text.
> > Whatever that white space is, it can't be trimmed by ltrim or rtrim.
>
> > I tried running the sql from the cursor as a query and had the
> > same problem.
>
> > Any help would be appreciate it.
>
> > fig000- Hide quoted text -

Tom
9/3/2010 3:57:30 PM
For those of you with the same problem, this seems to work to replace
the null (0) bytes in the field with spaces.

rtrim(ltrim(REPLACE(lt.ExtendedText,char(0),char(32))))

Any better ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help.

On Sep 3, 11:57=A0am, "Tom Cooper" <tomcoo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
 is
> > the rightmost character after the RTRIM. It would be 20 if it is a blan=
k,
> > if it is anything else, the rightmost character is not a blank.
>
> > Tom
>
> > "fig000" <stringma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

..

> > > Hi,
>
> > > I am reading two very large varchar fields (2600) from the sql
> > > server 2005 database of our ERP. This reading is being done by a
> > > cursor. In the cursor select statement I rtrim and ltrim the field. N=
> > > matter what I do the length of the field is always 2600. I can see
> > > that there is some sort of white space to the right of the text.
> > > Whatever that white space is, it can't be trimmed by ltrim or rtrim.
>
> > > I tried running the sql from the cursor as a query and had the

fig000
9/3/2010 4:13:02 PM
Tom Cooper (tomcooper@comcast.net) writes:
> You can use Replace() function.  Because you can get a character will any
> possible Ascii value by using the CHAR() function.  For example, the
> following code removes all Ascii 0's.
>
> Declare @Test varchar(30)
> Set @Test = 'ABC' + Replicate(Char(0), 5);
> /* Notice that @Test has 5 hex 00's */
> Select 'Before', Cast(@Test As varbinary(30))
> Set @Test = Replace(@Test, Char(0), '');
> /* The hex 00's are now gone */
> Select 'After', Cast(@Test As varbinary(30));

Make that

   Set @Test = Replace(@Test COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN2, Char(0), '');

I guess you use an SQL collation, in which case the above works. But
I use a Windows collation, and with a Windows collation replace does
not work with char(0), because it's an undefined character in Unicode.
Whence you need to cast a binary collation or an SQL collation.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Erland
9/3/2010 8:44:30 PM
You are correct.  Thanks.
And you're also correct, I'm still running SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS in
most places.  It's on my list of things to do to get everything over to a
windows collation, but it hasn't happened yer.

Tom

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Tom Cooper (tomcooper@comcast.net) writes:
>> You can use Replace() function.  Because you can get a character will any
>> possible Ascii value by using the CHAR() function.  For example, the
>> following code removes all Ascii 0's.
>>
>> Declare @Test varchar(30)
>> Set @Test = 'ABC' + Replicate(Char(0), 5);
>> /* Notice that @Test has 5 hex 00's */
>> Select 'Before', Cast(@Test As varbinary(30))
>> Set @Test = Replace(@Test, Char(0), '');
>> /* The hex 00's are now gone */
>> Select 'After', Cast(@Test As varbinary(30));
>
> Make that
>
>   Set @Test = Replace(@Test COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN2, Char(0), '');
>
> I guess you use an SQL collation, in which case the above works. But
> I use a Windows collation, and with a Windows collation replace does
> not work with char(0), because it's an undefined character in Unicode.
> Whence you need to cast a binary collation or an SQL collation.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2000:

Tom

spacings, unwanted changes? desperate question!
Hi, I apologize for this! Just a few minutes ago I was typing something and must have pressed the wrong keys because for a second the program froze and then when it recovered, all the words in my document had, instead of spaces between them, dots. and then at the end of each line, there was this the paragraph symbol (at least I think that's what it is). This symbol now also appeared on each empty line. I closed the document without saving it, but when I re-opened it things were the same! Then I checked my other documents and they had all been changed. Basically they hav...

billing information field?
When exporting calendar data from Outlook Calendar to a comma separated document, there is an option to include a billing information field, but I cannot find a way to add a billing information field to my calendar posts. This would be very useful! Does anyone know how to do this? "BLSHEPinMA" <BLSHEPinMA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16C7CF2E-F752-4627-8736-A4338111C8FF@microsoft.com... > When exporting calendar data from Outlook Calendar to a comma separated > document, there is an option to include a billing information field, but...

Vertical scroll bar in Office does not move page when clicking on the white space #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi Suddenly in all my Microsoft office programs the vertical scroll bar no longer moves the pages up and down when i click on the space above and below the scrolly bar. Instead the scrolly bar moves but the pages stays where it is. The horiztonal bar works fine. How do i fix it? Thanks Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and creating a second account but still no luck. Only affecting Word. If i go to System Preference > Appearance >Click to scroll bar to: and click jump to spot that clicked, it works. But W...

Conditional statement in a Report Field ??
rptDemo is built on qryDemo Here is what I would like to know how to do in the report... If [Prime Location] = True Then Display "True" 1 - Can you put statements directly into a field in a Report? 2 - If so what is the correct syntax? 3 - If no then how? Thanks for any help. Set the text box's control source to =IIf([Prime Location] True, "True", "") (including the equal sign) Alternatively, bind the text box to the Prime Location field, and set its format to ;True; (that's a semi-colon before and after the word True) -- Doug Steele, Mi...

Is it possible to add a lookup field to the schema?
Hi all; I couldnt add a lookup to the incidents schema. Is there a way to do this? Alper Can Alper, In the currentl release of MSCRM you cannot add a lookup field to the schema. Matt On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:49:02 +0200, "Alper Can" <alperc@datasistem.com.tr> wrote: Hi all; I couldnt add a lookup to the incidents schema. Is there a way to do this? Alper Can No, you can't add your own lookup fields (at least not without hacking it into the metabase). Mike greaterthantwo media Printable Quotes, Orders and Invoices, with line-item details, now available for MSCRM. h...

Access automatically adding unwanted fields to master/child links
I have a form with that a tab control that dynamically loads several subforms when a tab is changed. http://www.databasejournal.com/features/msaccess/article.php/3599781 The tab control has unbound subform in which I have specified the master and child links in the properties for that control. The fields used for the master and child links have the same name on all underlying tables. When a new tab is selected, the tab change event code sets the SourceObject property of the unbound subform object to the desired subform depending on which tab is chosen. The problem I'm having is that w...

Relate E-mails to Campaigns through Regarding field
I would like to be able to send an email and set the Regarding field to a Campaign record in CRM. I see that Campaigns are only available in the Regarding field when working with the Task activity type. Is there a way (supported or not) to enable Campaigns in the Regarding field for the E-mail activity type? Can the customization XML be maniputlated to allow this for example? Hi Randy, Why would you want the activities (excluding Task) regarding to be set as a campaign? They already have a relationship with Campaign Activities. Thanks Joe ...

need a monthly maximum field for payroll deductions
I have payroll customers that process payroll bi-weekly. Some deductions have a monthly maximum. For example, a garnishment deduction is based on a percentage of gross wages, with a monthly maximum. For the months that have 3 bi-weekly paydates, we need the deduction to be stopped after a certain dollar amount in that month. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open...

remove space in upn or samaccountname
Hi, How can i find user who have space character in upn or samaccount name? You could try using Powershell with the Quest cmdlets (http://powergui.org). Quest http://www.quest.com/powershell/ Just get all samaccount names and use the contains method http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/powershell/powershell_conditional_operators.htm Microsoft Script Repository http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/en-us/64457a5a-677a-492d-ad6c-957b0997d1ba -- Paul Bergson MVP - Directory Services MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci 2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achie...

Excel File Paths Contain Spaces And Wont Open
Hi I'm using MS Office 97 and opening Excel files just by double-clicking has always worked fine. A few weeks back the excel file type became associated with a very old version of Excel 4 which was located on a network drive - don't ask me how or why!!! I've re-associated back to Excel 97 but now, whenever I try to open a file contained in a path which contains spaces (e.g. C:\Program Files\My Directory\myfile.xls), Excel first tries to open each separate bit of the path (C:\Program.xls, Files\My.xls, etc) - all of which obviously fail - before successfully opeing the correct fil...

MSP_EpmResourceByDay_UserView.TimeByDay field not set
Hi, (working with PS2007, SP2 + Feb'2010 CU) I created a new user on Early March 2010. I have a report (SSRS) which uses "MSP_EpmResourceByDay_UserView.TimeByDay" field. This report is supposed to give information for the resource from January to December. I noticed that "MSP_EpmResourceByDay_UserView.TimeByDay" field is only set from 2010-02-01 (Feb 1st of 2010), thus my report doesn't give any result for Jan'2010! Any idea? Thanks in advance jpa jpa: Check your settings under Server Settings Page > Operational Policies > Addit...

win ce field update scenario
my win ce image boots from storage card for a field update scenario this win ce image (nk.bin) should be updateable within an application. is this possible ? Yes, the NK.BIN is loaded into RAM by the bootloader. If you mount the SD as storage in Windows CE there's nothing preventing you from overwriting the NK.BIN. You can even load the SD as hidden storage. Your "update" application can still access the SD, but it will be invisible for any user (that doesn't know the name of the SD card). Good luck, Michel Verhagen, eMVP Check out my blog: http://GuruCE....

Viewing an Excel sheet w/out all the empty fields...
How do you create a spreadsheet that only shows the fileds with data in them? -How do you get rid of all the empty rows/columns, to ease viewing for those who are easily confused by excel spreadsheets? (I don't know how else to emaplin my question... I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible...) Please help... Hi! >I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible... Just hide them! Suppose the last column in your sheet that contains data is column H. You can hide columns I:IV so that after column H all you ...

Print white on black card
I want to made name cards using black card with white text. How can I do that in WORD 2003? In article <64DEFAF2-EF4B-49DF-B675-8F0F99C45B73@microsoft.com>, Suzy <Suzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to made name cards using black card with white text. How can I do >that in WORD 2003? Suzy, do you mean Word 2004? I don't recall there having been a Macintosh version of Word in 2003. Anyway, are you printing onto black cardstock, or white? If black, then you'll need to have the cards printed at a printshop, because your home printer won&...

Task exporting and missing fields
I am currently trying to get the following fields to export from the Task items into an Excel spreadsheet or even a .csv for that matter. Subject, % Complete, Created Date, Due Date, Date Completed, Owner, Requested by. I can get 4 of the 7 fields to export, but am unable to export the others. I have defined them in my views so they are visible. When I try to define custom mappings, I am unable to see 'Owner, Requested by, Created Date' fields in order to map them. I have tried following the KB#236903 with no success and I am unable to find the field names on the list pro...

Audio Trim
Greetings from Downunder In PPT 2010 we have (at long last) the ability to trim, fade in and fade out audio tracks. I have a track that needs the first 7 secs to be removed and I can overcome this by advancing the green slider to the right. But that 7 secs of audio is still there, just not being played. My question is -- can that 7 secs be REMOVED from the audio timeline permamently. All help always appreciated. /carl In article <es7nH7bjKHA.1824@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Carl wrote: > Greetings from Downunder > In PPT 2010 we have (at long last) the ability to tri...

Suppress print using code, how to get rid of white space?
Hello, I asked and received the below advice for how to print a set of labels one-time only, below the page header. This code does do that. But, it leaves all the white space reserved for this on each successive page. How do I get rid of all the white space on each successive page, so that the detail prints right after the header? Thanks for any help you can give. Prior advice: On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:38:00 -0800, Allison wrote: > Access 2003, XP SP 2 > > I have a report, grouped by alphabet. > > I need one set of instructions BELOW the page header, on the first page ...

More Item Line Space in Purchase Order Entry
We need more space in the Item Description Line for Purchase Order Entry, we dont need to customize the item note and include it in the PO document during te printing. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community...

How do I remove spaces
I have data as such - (space)number(space) How do I remove the spaces via a formula or macro? I have 40,000 entries so I would rather not do it manually. thanks Hi If you have all your entries in one column, use the TRIM function. Let's say you have your data in Col A, then in Col B enter the formula = TRIM(A1). That will remove the spaces, but leave your numbers as text, not numbers -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Stilfontein, Northwest, South Africa "lovebaby" wrote: > I have data as such - (space)number(space) > > How do I remove the space...

Tabulating a large list
So here is my problem. I am supposed to create a tabulated table comprising multiple different criteria for multiple people. Here is an abbreviated version of what I am working with: Bob 1 Cars January Bob 2 Trucks January Bob 1 Cars February Jack 2 Cars January Jack 2 Trucks February Jack 1 Cars February Bob 4 Trucks February Jack 5 Cars January Trying to get it into this format: Employee Month Cars Trucks Bob January Jack January Bob February Jack February Thanks That is easy to do with a pivot table... Select the data you want to summarize in a table ...

How to pull names and fields
Hello can anyone tell how I can get Excel to pull data from different worksheets if the common thing between them is a person name. I'd guess you'd want to use =vlookup() or =index(match()) And Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions (for both) at: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html Brian S. wrote: > > Hello can anyone tell how I can get Excel to pull data from different > worksheets if the common thing between them is a person name. -- Dave Peterson ...

Remove field from form
Is it possible to remove a field that is required by the system or business or an event dependent field? There is no way to do this and probably won't ever be because the system and dependencies require these fields. The only fields you can remove are fields with no dependencies or business recommended. Hope this helps, Jairy >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to remove a field that is required by the >system or business or an event dependent field? >. > ...

White fonts system wide are "double bolded" when they should be just bold
After installing office 2004 I am finding that text other than black that is bolded comes up being thicker than it should be. It almost seems double bolded and a little fuzzy. It looks really bad on websites that have bold white text and also when you click on menu items in the system where it is white text on blue highlight. Anyone else have these problems? It started right after I restarted upon finishing my Office 2004 installation. ...

User defined fields
How can I rename a user-defined field that I set up in my Contacts file? And how can I delete a user-defined field that I no longer need? Q1: - Renaming UDF A1: - No facility within Outlook Q2 - Deleting UDFs A2 - There is a short and a little longer answer to this. Short answer: to actually delete a UDF from individual contacts that contain a value for a specific field, you must delete each UDF on a contact by contact basis Expanded version: Any UDF added to a contact item will be added to the "User-defined fields in folder" list. Deleting a UDF from this list d...

Price per Unit in Opportunity Products field??
In CRM, when entering products for a given opportunity, is there a way to make the Price Per Unit field a user input field instead of getting it from a price list? When you create an opportunity you have to select a price list. When you add products, you have to select the product from a price list and it populates the Price Per Unit field on the Opportunity Product form. I need to have this field be a user input or overridden field. I know you can do this at the opportunity level � overwrite the price. I need to do this at the Opportunity Product level and still have it rolled up / c...