wss and moss question

I have separate vhd's for wss and moss. Since it appears everything in
Central Administration for wss is on moss can I delete the vhd for wss? I
have not done any work yet on either one.

thanks
--
barry
sharepoint.setup-administratio 225 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What are you going to use the VHD for? Micorosoft Office SharePoint Server
is a superset of the underlying Windows SharePoint Services foundation. So
yes, what you get with WSS you also get with MOSS.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

"barry" <barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have separate vhd's for wss and moss. Since it appears everything in
> Central Administration for wss is on moss can I delete the vhd for wss? I
> have not done any work yet on either one.
>
> thanks
> --
> barry

0
Daniel
12/19/2009 12:22:03 AM
------=_NextPart_0001_DC54712F

Hello Barry,

As Daniel has mentioned, when you install MOSS, WSS is also automatically
installed. WSS is the foundation for MOSS/Porject/ Search Server etc.
WSS is a free product from Microsoft. Where as MOSS is paid.
You do not need WSS.

The basic differences are:

WSS in general has 33 features and MOSS has 107 Features with default
installation
Some of the authentications are not available.
We have less options for Intergration with different products in WSS.
Excel Cacluation Services are not available in WSS.
Collaboration and Publishing templates are not available in WSS.

So if you just want simple sites such as Team sites to be created then WSS
should be good enough else you may want to go for MOSS.

If you have both products, then go for MOSS which actually includes
eveything WSS contains.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=4

Cheers!

Sunil [MSFT]
------=_NextPart_0001_DC54712F

{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue255;}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\b\f0\fs20 Hello Barry,\b0
\par
\par As Daniel has mentioned, when you install MOSS, WSS is also automatically installed. WSS is the foundation for MOSS/Porject/ Search Server etc.
\par WSS is a free product from Microsoft. Where as MOSS is paid.
\par You do not need WSS.
\par
\par The basic differences are:
\par
\par WSS in general has 33 features and MOSS has 107 Features with default installation
\par Some of the authentications are not available.
\par We have less options for Intergration with different products in WSS.
\par Excel Cacluation Services are not available in WSS.
\par Collaboration and Publishing templates are not available in WSS.
\par
\par So if you just want simple sites such as Team sites to be created then WSS should be good enough else you may want to go for MOSS.
\par
\par If you have both products, then go for MOSS which actually includes eveything WSS contains.
\par \cf1\b
\par http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=4
\par \cf0\b0
\par Cheers!
\par \b
\par Sunil [MSFT]\b0
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_DC54712F--

0
sunily

Exchange 2007 Beta 2 question
Hi I have the mailbox, CA, hub and UM on one server. I am trying to create a new email life cycle policy, but the option to do this cannot be found. I right click on the mailbox icon in EMC under "organization" but the option is not listed. The only listed options are. Also the tab in ESM for this is not there New address list New managed custom folder new managed fodler mailbox policy new offline address list On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:58:02 -0700, skip <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >I have the mailbox, CA, hub and UM on one server. I am trying to...

How to solve this question?
Hello all: I write a component using ATL and it includes two interface:ISMath and IAMath, and now I write client codes and want to the file tlb,Look: #import "Com_01.tlb" no_namespace #include <windows.h> #include <iostream.h> void main() { HRESULT hr; hr=CoInitialize(NULL); if(FAILED(hr)) { cout<<"Initialize COM failed"<<endl; return; } ISMathPtr spSFun; IAMathPtr spAFun; spSFun.CreateInstance(L"Com_01.SMath"); long s=spSFun->Add(11,12); cout<<s<<endl; spSFun.QueryInterface(II...

question re: read icon
When I open my inbox in the morning the read icon appears beside each message. Throughout the day as I retrieve mail, some of the messages will have the read icon and some of them will have the unopened icon. Why do some of the messages appear to have been read if I have never opened them or even clicked on them? Thanx in advance for your help ...

question about data from excel to work
I am trying to take input from an excel sheet and mailmerge it to word....the thing is I want to make it so from here on out ..if I change something in the excel sheet it automatically updates on word as well..if not a mail merger what can I use ? -- Pooja Kamdar Hi Pooja Kamdar, You can link the Word document to the Excel workbook, so that any changes in the Excel workbook will be reflected in the Word document. To do this: 1. copy the source range in the Excel workbook 2. in the Word document, use Edit|Paste Special > Paste Link and choose the paste format you wan...

M02 to M05 question
I'm currently running Money 02 Deluxe on Windows 98. I'm going to be getting a new PC with XP Home or Professional. Which of the following would be recommended from past experience: 1) Install M02 on the new XP computer and continue only using M02? 2) Upgrade to M05 on Windows 98 first so my .mny file is in the new format and then install M05 on the new XP computer with the *.mny file? 3) Install M05 on the new XP computer and upgrade the M02 .mny file at the time of this installation? Does it matter whether I use XP Home or Pro? I currently have a 27MB .mny file with years of i...

SumIf Question? If question? I'm stumped..
I have three columns. "A", "B", and "C". I want to sum column "C" when "A" equals a specific value AND "B" equals a specific value. For example, sum the amuunts in column "C" when "A" equals "ball" AND "B" equals "bat". Any ideas? -Adam You can use an array formula, you need to press CTRL+Shift+Enter after typing the formula, if you've done this correctly curly brackets {} will appear around the formula in the formula bar: Use a formula something like: =SUM(IF(($A$2:$A$...

C++ question...
Hi.. I have a data class which stores only data. There are 3 other classes which are dependent on this class for data. So, whenever the data in this class changes, all the 3 classes need to be informed (call a function on them to change themselves). I have heard of a pattern called observer pattern which is used in the above situation. But my problem is that all data in the data class are private and hence accessible only through access modifiers (get and set functions). So, if I have to throw an event to all the other classes or call their functions to modify themselves, I hav...

Programming question
I have a VB enabled Excel document. One tab has a value in Column B. If that value is "A" or "B", I want to create a row somewhere that contains the lowest value of the corresponding columns C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U This tab is growing. Could someone assist me in creating this row? -- "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found, than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace to the legislature, and not to the executive department." - James Madison Hi Howard No need for a m...

beginner, question about date calculations
I am a beginner at databases, and am wondering if it is possible to calculate according to the parameters of a start month, and payment cycles such as montly, bi-weekly and so on the next payment due dates? If I should be asking my question in some other forum could you please let me know. Thank you On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:33:01 -0800, fremacmad <fremacmad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am a beginner at databases, and am wondering if it is possible to calculate >according to the parameters of a start month, and payment cycles such as >montly, bi-weekly and so on the...

How do I restore a WSS 3.0 site on SBS 2008
I'm preparing to migrate our old SBS 2003 domain to 2008 and because someone back in NT days named our internal domain without a .local extension an automated migration is not supported. This is probably just as well as our AD could use a lot of cleaning up. In order to make sure things go smoothly I'm testing various aspects of the process on a test server. What I would like to do is to restore a backup of our sharepoint website onto the SBS 2008 website. Right now the website is running on sharepoint services 2.0 on second server and for various reasons I'd lik...

Question about the Purchase order Recipe...
Hi, i have the default purchase order recipe file (i think is that one that contains information of how the xml file will be created or some like that) This is the item section of mine: <Items> <Item> <Quantity>12</Quantity> <Code>20001318</Code> <OrderNumber>705001-CL</OrderNumber> <Description>Bead Garland 48 in. L - Clear</Description> <UnitPrice>2.26</UnitPrice> <TotalPrice>27.12</TotalPrice> <TaxRate>0</TaxRate> </Item> </Items> Is there a ...

Is this possible...a relay preventing question
I ran a mail relay test on www.abuse.net and 5 out of 6 tests came out as 'Unable to relay', which is good. However, the last test came out as 'OK'. Here's the test.. Relay test 6 >>> RSET <<< 250 2.0.0 Resetting >>> MAIL FROM:<spamtest@myrealdomain.com> <<< 250 2.1.0 spamtest@myrealdomain.com....Sender OK >>> RCPT TO:<securitytest%abuse.net@myrealdomain.com> <<< 250 2.1.5 securitytest%abuse.net@myrealdomain.com Is there a way to prevent this kind of relay? I'm running Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003...

Another question
I used Money to go to this page: http://www.microsoft.com/money/special/MoneySpecialPages_Launch2006.mspx Here is what this page states: Important things to know before you download Microsoft Money 2006 Premium: This download offer is available in the US only. You must have a Microsoft Passport to purchase and download the software. What if I don't want to use Passport? I don't have one and don't want to get one, or if I do have one, I have no idea waht it or the password. If I buy it from a store, will I have to use Passport to install and use it? I don't use...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

WSS 3.0
Hello there, After running Windows updates on our SBS 2008 machine we can no longer access company web. In the Application log these messages are being generated; The database ShareWebDb on SERVER\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to missing Windows Internal Database signatures. We don't use company web but i would like to get it up and working just in case we decide to use it. I have tried starting the Windows SharePoint Administration Service but that wont start When browsing to company web we get Error 404. All DNS entries for company web are present and so are t...

questions #6
:-D, let me know if you find that toggle in some excel menu... might be helluva useful in writing code! -- icestationzbra ------------------------------------------------------------------------ icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=261246 ...

Question about query
Hi, Im trying to create a querie to search the contacts which is, for example, working in the branch "insurance". The problem is that when you select for your search the contacts, you cant select the attributes of the account, where the branch is specified. Is there a way, without the use of add-on's and the SDK, where you can select the attributes from account for a search in the contacts? I know there's a add-on where it is possible to do it (c360 searchpac), but it costs, of course, money. I hope I made my problem clear and that someone knows how to exterminate ...

Attn: Allen Browne - Old Question
Allen - I haven't tried doing the response that you gave me regarding the question below. I'm having a major senior moment and can't figure out what the DLookup syntax would be. Any help? BTW the table name is tblContractorProjects... Thanks Jeff ----------------------------------------- Use the BeforeUpdate event procedure of the form to perform the validation. Use DLookup() to see if an overlapping entry exists in the table. Assuming contractStartDate and contractEndDate are required fields (so you don't have to handle overlapping dates when one of the fields is b...

Question Outlook
A person is opening a shared calendar in Outlook 2007. This calander is edited by two assistants in different time Zones. There is the message when one assistant is trying to edit a date. "Cannot update the appointment because the corresponding item in the folder you synchronized does not match this item. To resolve the confilct , open the item. Do you want to open the item now?" The only Microsoft fix is from Outlook 2000 Tools\Options\Preferences\Calendar Options Click to Clear "Always use local calendar" This option is not in Outlook 2007 that I can see. Any re...

Mobile User Issue and Questions
We've been using Exchange 2k3 and Windows Mobile 5 devices provided by Verizon to connect our mobile users. We found that the Treo seems to be the most reliable devices but some users complain about the small keyboard. More importantly we have users who travel out side the country and want to be able to retrieve their email and stay in contact with the main office. Q1) What is the best solution for these users when they travel out of the country. I'm not apposed to changing provides if that is necessary. Q2) We've also considered blackberry but want to make sure we can sti...

Excel 2003 question about help menu
I use Excel 2003 OFF-LINE. I find myself extremely limited and frustrated with the "menu approach" that it uses as well as the set number of items it will display as the result of a keyword search. The main problem for me ATM is that I know that the functions are categorized into say eight categories, e.g., text, but I don't always remember all of them. In the past, a search in Help would return a list of those categories from which I could quickly and easily navigate around to doublecheck my understanding. Search results in Excel 2003 are erratic, and trying to find the list...

Exmerg Question
Hello CAn i export emails from inboxes to .pst's uing exmerg from a SBS running exchange 2003 server in its own forest and then take these exported .pst's and import them using Exmerge to mailboxes on a Exchange 2003 server in another forest? Thanks Absolutely yes. "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D75FE31-57B4-476F-8134-A77DD43B6DA0@microsoft.com... > Hello > > CAn i export emails from inboxes to .pst's uing exmerg from a SBS running > exchange 2003 server in its own forest and then take these exported .pst's ...

newb question
My biggest difficulty sometimes is figuring out how to share information between MainFrm.cpp Doc.cpp and View.cpp. In other words I have a variable in View.cpp that I want to use in MainFrm.cpp. One option would be to use global variables. Not quite sure how to do that, but I know people frown on that. I would love it if somebody could explain how should I attempt to share information. Thanx -- to reply, remove Big10 from address Whenever you need to access the mainframe object, use AfxGetMainWnd(), dont forget to include the header. There are several ways by which you can acess Docs and ...

Dumb Question on Sample Files
Where can I download the sample/example file VBA02-Loops.xls -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for: http://www.exceltip.com/st/Using_Loops_in_VBA_in_Microsoft_Excel/628.html Click on the heading: "Download Sample Excel file" and you should be prompted to start the download. PaulT99 < wrote: > Where can I download the sample/example file VBA02-Loops.xls ? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.c...

solve the questions
i am beginer in vc++ .i want help in the following questions. 1. A psrent window have more than two childs.Both are derived from same class .Example , ::OnClick() { CChattingWindow* m_chatwindow=new CChattingWindow(); m_chatwindow->Create (IDD_CHATWINDOW); m_chatwindow->ShowWindow (1); } CChattingWindow is a separeate class. it has one richedit ctrl. The parent window has three childs A ,B,C (drived from CChattingWindow). A Parent window wants to sent message to the child A(only).How it's possible.explain with coding(or example).But both B & D should not receive the messag...