Restrict type of files in a document library

There any way to limit the types of files in a specific document library?

I know it can be done from the central administration but I understand that
this will affect all libraries. The idea is that a given library only accept
Office documents for example.

Thanks
sharepoint.setup-administratio 225 articles. 0 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_0001_7C45577A

Hello Vicente,

This feature is not available OOB in Libraries or lists. However there can
be a workaround using custom event handlers on lists. Event Handler works
on lists basis, you can just check for the file extension of the file being
uploaded, if it is not Office document then simply discard the operation
and display a message to the end user or redirect him to another custom
page with any message you like.

The other thing you can do is to just create a custom workflow in
SharePoint Designer and deploy to the list or library. The workflow simply
deletes any Non-Office Document or they can be moved to another temporary
list.

SharePoint Designer Workflow
http://www.documentmanagementworkflowinfo.com/sample-sharepoint-workflows/sh
arepoint-designer-workflow-move-document-one-library-next.htm

Event Troubleshooting

Sunil [MSFT]
------=_NextPart_0001_7C45577A

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hello Vicente,
\par
\par This feature is not available OOB in Libraries or lists. However there can be a workaround using custom event handlers on lists. Event Handler works on lists basis, you can just check for the file extension of the file being uploaded, if it is not Office document then simply discard the operation and display a message to the end user or redirect him to another custom page with any message you like.
\par
\par The other thing you can do is to just create a custom workflow in SharePoint Designer and deploy to the list or library. The workflow simply deletes any Non-Office Document or they can be moved to another temporary list.
\par
\par SharePoint Designer Workflow
\par http://www.documentmanagementworkflowinfo.com/sample-sharepoint-workflows/sharepoint-designer-workflow-move-document-one-library-next.htm
\par
\par Event Troubleshooting
\par http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa979520.aspx
\par
\par Sunil [MSFT]
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_7C45577A--

0
sunily

Restricting Input
Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or has a certain value? Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank. Thanks in advance. Randy, you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation, then input your restriction. Randy Vieira wrote: > Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell > restriction that will ...

Opening File
Hello I am having some trouble opening some excel documents. When I click on the file in windows explorer the file errors out and does not open but when I first open Excel and then open the file by using the "File, Open" menu options the files open What could be the problem and how can I fix it Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on the file in windows explorer: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /re...

how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro.
how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro. "Daniel" wrote: > how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. > e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro. > Do you want file protection or just workbook or worksheet protection? ...

Cursor Data Type as Output Parameters
Dear Sir, It is possible to passed cursor data type as output parameters from SQL Stored Procedure. But Can you inform me how I can retrieve that using ADO in Visual Basic 6. Sanjay Shah Sorry but you can't retrieve this type of parameter from ADO. A passed cursor data type can only be used when the SP is called by another SP; not by an external connection such as ADO. However, when you open a recordset with ADO, you can open different type of recordset and one of these closely duplicate the functionality of a server side cursor; if this is what you want. --...

Opening Office 2010 beta documents with Office 2003
The header says it all. I tried a "patch" or converter I found on the Microsoft web site and installed it, but I get errors that there is not enough memory to open the application. The particular file I am trying to open is an excel file created using a beta copy of MS Office 2010. Office 2003 is a certified, activated, registered release. Is there a file converter for this or do I just have to wait until Microsoft comes out with the final release? Really, I wish there would be SOME backward compatibility with Microsoft's Office products. It seems that whe...

Making type in circular shape???
In using Microsoft Publisher, the WordArt Frame Tool is supposed to help produce type in any shape. . I cannot find any options in the program which do this. Can anyone help with this? I need to design a circular label where the type is written in a circular pattern. -- Steve Shapson After creating your text using Word Art, select the drop down menu where it says Plain Text- and select a shape shown, including a circle. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in the Americas! "Steve Shapson" <sshapson@wi.rr.com> wrote i...

what is the path for signature file in Outlook 2007
Hello, Can someone tell me which folder has the signature file in Outlook 2007. i am using windows vista business and outlook 2007 -- 10/31/2009 8:05:02 AM !****************************************! ! Custom Text Line #1a ! ! Custom Text Line #1b ! ! 1 year 6 months 20 days until The ! ! Rapture Of The Believers ! !****************************************! ! "I think there is a world market for ! ! maybe five computers." Thomas Watson, ! ! chairman of IBM, 1943 ! !****************************************...

Corrupt File, can't print checks
I've lost the ability to print checks from my primary bank account. I've tried to repair my money file with Microsoft's program, but it didn't help. I still can't print checks from my main bank account. I have determined that MS Money 2002 is working fine, I can print checks from another account, sooo... my primary bank file only is corrupt. Since that file is corrupt, would it do any good to buy a newer version of Money? I would just be importing a corrupt file into a newer version. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks In microsoft.public.money, ronnienospamholl...

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most of our customers do no wish to load all products to MS CRM. Therefore the system restriction to use price lists is too inflexible. In case of opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level. ...

File extension .wps
We are a recruiting firm and we very occasionally receive a cover letter and/or a resume in a format that we cannot open. The files have a .wps extension. What is the software that they are using. We call the people but they are customarily so computer illeterate that they have no idea what we are talking about. Thanks in advance for your help. Mark I think this format is Microsoft Works "Mark Maire" <marksr@mricc.com> wrote in message news:014601c37ec6$052c2770$a301280a@phx.gbl... > We are a recruiting firm and we very occasionally receive > a cover letter an...

Restrict calendar?
We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our employers are holding off on the purchase due to the fact that there is no way to restrict certain users from even being able to see "Free/Busy" on their calendars. They want it so that a whole Active Directory OU can be set to not have any calendar access to another OU's calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible? This is huge for us so a great big Thank You in advance to those who might have suggestion. sgsundqu wrote: > We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our > employe...

how to get "program files" folder?
Hi, I know "GetSystemDirectory" will get the system folder, such as "system32" in Winxp. but how can I get "program files" folder? thanks a lot, larry Read the "ProgramFilesDir" value from the registry, the path is below. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion "larry" <larry@xxx.com> wrote in message news:7oJCc.886925$Ig.305368@pd7tw2no... > Hi, > > I know "GetSystemDirectory" will get the system folder, such as "system32" > in Winxp. > but how can I get "program files&q...

Windows installer has stopped working. File Msi
I try to install things but most dont work and say the same message, I read the problem details and it sais this.Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: msiexec.exe Application Version: 4.5.6001.22162 Application Timestamp: 48080879 Fault Module Name: AcGenral.DLL Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18165 Fault Module Timestamp: 490bce79 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000209b0 OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: e51a Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433 Additional Information 3: e51a Additional Informat...

Groove files
I inadvertantly erased my files in Groove, and naturally it erased the files on the other 3 machines also!!! Fortunately I did a complete image backup the day before. However, I am having trouble fining the Groove files. What should I be looking for, or should I just do a restore of the entire hard drive? Thansk for your assistance. You may want to ask the Groove experts, they are at the link below http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.groove&exp=1 Gary wrote: > I inadvertantly erased my files in Groove, and naturally i...

Is my file corrupted?
Hello, I have been working with a file and recently I found out that the layout/wrapping text is not working in it. Like when I click Format picture / Layout the section for wrapping does not appear in the dialogue box. Also the option "view 2-page spread" is missing in menu that pops up when I right-click the page icons. New files don't get affected by this quirkiness What in the world? -- Eduardo www.expresssignproducts.com Do you have a border around the creation? If you do send it to the back. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "eduardovieir...

If I wanted 5-7 to mean May 7th, I would type "May 7th"
I dont understand why a non-pro user at excel has to go searching for a way to turn this function off. Does Microsoft not care about those of us who dont use Excel on a everyday-forwork-basis? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/o...

How to add DefaultInstall to inf file
The CDM drivers from FTDI: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.06.00%20WHQL%20Certified.zip do not have DefaultInstall section in its inf files. So you cannot install the driver with right-click Install. That's the way I've been using to pre-install the driver from InstallShield. I tried to add the DefaultInstall to ftdibus.inf myself, but nothing happens. I had some success with ftdiport.inf, but I actually need ftdibus.inf. Can anyone help me with modification? Here is what I added: [DefaultInstall.NT] CopyFile=FtdiBus.NT.Copy,FtdiBus.NT.Copy2,FtdiBus.Inf ...

importing excel files into outlook 2007
I did an import and it worked perfectly. I tried to ddo a second, and am receiving a message that - an error occuredwhile importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0x80070057 was reported. please try again. I have rebuild the file, changes names and still receive the same message. I looked on ms faq but can't find how to fix the problem. Can anyone help. Thanks Dick Take a look at both of these sights... http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-854669.php http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329295/EN-US/ Anvil22 wrote: >I did...

Restrictions
All of a sudden I am no longer able to click on hyperlinks embedded within email and get an error message "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTION IN EFFECT ON THIS COMPUTER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR." I haven't knowingly changed anything but some other program may have. How do I get back to normal? See if the articles at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D310049 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D307818 help with this.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrator...

Cannot open Money file
Hi, I have been using Microsoft Money 2004 on my Win2000 PC for over 1 year now. I recently purchased a new PC running WinXP. I networked both PCs together and installed Money 2004 on my WinXP PC. I copied My Money file over from my Win2000 PC to my WinXP PC and when I tried opening it in Money 2004, it froze. On the screen, it said: Compacting file ... Working ... and it just froze right there. I tried several times to open My Money file along with every back-up file I had but to no avail. I have tried re-installing Money 2004 on my WinXP-based PC and I am still not able to op...

saving as tiff file
Does anyone know how I can save or convert a publisher file to a tiff file so I can send it to someone who wants to get it printed? Thank you for your time. Kellyx There is no way to save a Publisher file to a TIFF file at a satisfactory resolution. Use PDF, Postscript or EPS To make a Postscript file or an EPS you can download the Generic Postscript Printer Driver from the Adobe website: www.adobe.com EPS is only a single page format, so if your document is double sided/two or more pages, you will have to make an EPS for each page. -- ...

e-mail settings and pst file
I am planning to copy the .pst file from my desktop to my laptop to ensure I can work away from my desk. The laptop accesses the internet using a mobile bradband dongle and uses slightly diferent e-mail settings to the desktop. When I transfer the .pst file will the e-mail settings transfer to the laptop or can I use settings just for the laptop and keep them even when the ..pst transfers across? Account settings are not part of the .PST file, just make sure Outlook is closed on BOTH machines when doing the .PST transfers. Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer...

Linking to external document using INCLUDETEXT field looses images
Hello, I would like to inlude the content of another Word document into my Word document. I use the field { INCLUDETEXT "path-to-external.doc"}. It works almost fine (including styles, TOC, references). Unfortunately the images of the external document appear only as gray boxes. I use Word 2007. Can you help? Best regards Michael Are the images in the external document embedded or (more likely) linked? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft....

problem to import calendar items after saving in csv file (with MD
Hello, I have lot's of outlook's mailboxes that are corrupted. I use MDBVU32 to remove corrupt item. Before remove, I export calendar in csv format. I delete the folder calendar with MDBVU32 tool and I restart outlook with /resetfolders to force the re-creation of calendar folder. I do the import from my csv file but all works except that Meeting organizer and attendees are not copied into calendar. We use outlook 2002 with domain controller 2003 and exchange server 2000. Thanks a lot for assitance. Eric See your other post -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.c...

Restrict DB Access
Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL Database/Server when they login to GP? Thanks It's unclear exactly what you want to do. In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User Access window. When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the user can access through GP. Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle it is to have different user accounts. -- Charles Allen, MVP "JDR" wrote: > Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a si...