Sharepoint 2007 - Using File server to store Excel files

Hello,

Been searching for 3 hours and getting no where - some what of a newbe..

What am I trying to do ?

On Sharepoint 2007

Wish to access Excel files stored on a file server using UNC paths - simple
or so I thought...

have set up trusted file location

eg file:\\fileserver1\files

type UNC
trust children =Yes

Then I go to a PC - access the web site - edit Excel web component
go to browse a workbook location

type file:\\fileserver1\files in the URL
press the arrow icon
"Cannot find this location in the current site collection"

When I try the "..click the URL to open in a new browser:
file:\\fileserver1\files"
I get no issue - can see the files without issue or prompt for password

I am missing something very obvious -
anyone know ? or point me at a "How to article"

with thanks
Martin

Problem exporting public folder to PST file
On our exchange 2003 server we have a public folder that archives all mail that passes through the system. I want to export the contents to a .pst file so that older emails can be deleted but a record of them retained. When I do an "export to file" in Outlook 2003 I have found that I can only get so far before it fails with "unknown error". As an example I can back up the first 7 days of novembers emails to a .pst but backing up the 8th fails at the same point every time. Nothing is logged in the event log of either PC or server. I'm guessing this is a corrupt ema...

When are the Microsoft Calendars for 2006-2007 SY available
We start our school year July 17, 2006. I would prefer to use some of the educational materials from your download section, attendance sheets, calendars, etc. but need 2006-2007 on them ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/c...

Outlook data file size is stucked.. not decreasing from 4.7 GB
I have configured four Email account in Outlook 2007. One of My Gmail account was having 2000 mails. so, data file for that account was 4.7 GB.( I am having windows vista and NTFS drives. ). Problem is now I have deleted some mails and only 800 mails are there. but even though file size is 4.7 GB only.. it is not decreasing .. can any one help ? it was having significant number of attachments (videos)... So, at starting it was ok... 4.7 gb was data... but Now I have deleted all the mails... and then also file is not decreasing... I am using IMAP... I have also unsubscribed &q...

Excel Font Preview
Hi. Is there a way to preview what a font type in an excel worksheet will look like. I saw someone do it once but I can't remember how. Thank You, Tracy Tracy, Go to the Tools menu, choose Customize, then the Options tab. There, check the "List fonts in their font" setting. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Tracy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b32c01c4376b$e5e53a50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi. Is there a way to preview what a font type in an excel > worksh...

Sharepoint
Does anybody knows if Microsoft Sharepoint works with a Mac. If it does, are there any limitations? Thank you. Denis Yep, it works fine if you use a Mozilla browser (Firefox/Camino). Won't work well with Safari. -Rick denis wrote: > Does anybody knows if Microsoft Sharepoint works with a Mac. If it > does, are there any limitations? > Thank you. > Denis ...

Error "stored procedure createTmpTable"
I have two users who are seeing an intermittant problem in GP 9.0 sp4. It doesn't happen every time and seems to clear up if they get out of GP and restart it. Transaction Entry Zoom window Inquiry >> Financial >> Detail >> Select an account and a record >> Journal Entry link "The stored procedure createTmpTable returned the following results" DBMS: 12, Microsoft Dynamics GP 0." ------=_NextPart_0001_61A66A9B Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, The primary troubleshooting step to fix issues with tem...

Office 2007 Installation via Group Policy
Ok we have read through the documentation and would like to upgrade all of our clients office versions from XP to 2007 via Group Policy. However we get the following error. "Error 1713" We followed the instructions from the article below. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179214.aspx#UpgradePreviousVersion The errors KB article below tells us you cannot install using the msi which is stated in the above document. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/926279 So how are we supposed to install? I know there are other ways but I was wanting to...

Access 2007
I want to retrieve the current maximum value of a numeric field in an Access 2007 table. I am writing the function in C#. I have a select string as follows: "SELECT LedgerReference, MAX(LedgerReference) FROM tblLedgerData GROUP BY LedgerReference"; Although it appears to work, i.e. it doesn't crash, it doesn't actually return anything. All the examples I have found so far are quite complex with joined tables, I just want the maximum value that exists in a single table. Can anybody give me some guidance please? -- Jeff Gaines Dorset UK You can...

Unable to control indexing in Outlook 2007
I am unable to choose which Outlook 2007 data files will be indexed after reinstalling Office (after a clean install of Windows 7-64 bit). Only my main file is being indexed. When I go to indexing options the box "index messages in these data files" is empty (does not even show my default ..pst) and I am unable to type in it to add any of my personal .pst files. So when I perform a mail search, it only looks in my inbox and sent items. Those do seem to be fully indexed, however. -- Silvia ...

Outlook contacts distribution lists to sharepoint users
I need to get an outlook contact list / distribution list into sharepoint as a user group - can you provide steps on how to do this? thx I dont think its possible to use outlook contacts as a user group in sharepoint. The max you can do is sync calendars from outlook with sharepoint. Regards, Vaibhav Desai ...

Excel Speadsheets
We just installed Office 2007 on our pc's. In Excel 2003 if someone was in the spread sheet it would bring up a "read only" box listing the name of the person that was in the spreadsheet. 2007 just says "another user" is in it. Is there a way to change that to show the name of the user? The users names already show on thier own pc's in Office. ...

Outlook 2007 Receiving multiple mails
Have just installed Office Professional 2007 and since doing so, I am receiving four copies of the same mail from people on a group I belong to and also from one person who is not on the group. Can anyone please advise. Many thanks. Do you have an integrated Anti Virus application? if so uninstall it, reboot the PC, reinstall the AV *without* outlook integration. Retest "carolnpete" <cnp@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:900999A9-819D-4AC1-ABCF-11BE1269BE60@microsoft.com... > Have just installed Office Professional 2007 and since doing so, I am > re...

Delete a massive mail in the server
Some genius in my office sent a large mail (30 Mb) to every body in the organitation, it wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have a branch office connected through a slow connection (64 Kbps FR) and there are almost 20 persons there with outlook as a client, well it appears that this message is collapsing my slow connection. I would like to know if there is a way to kill the message in the server so i can free the connection, other wise, the connection would be bussy until every body receive the message. Thanks in advance Users can open mailboxes over OWA and delete big message...

Storing calculated fields
I simply can't seem to be able to enter two values into a form (and thus, into a table) and then have their product shown in another field and ALSO stored in that table. Having the calculation result appear in the form is not a problem. The problem is the field control cannot be assigned to the table AND be the result of a calculation it seems. It may seem redundant to store this result, but it's necessary in this case. Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. THis is very important to the cause. -- Norm Shimmel Butler, PA The solution to your problem is to use cod...

Excel does not recognize my formulas
I am a heavy excel user and occassionally I will run into issues where my formulas are not recognized. When I type in the formula, the text string that I entered is returned. This does not happen all the time but definitely enough to frustrate. Assuming you haven't formgotten an = sign, this only happens when the cell you are entering data into is formatted as text. If you insert a column to the right of another column, then it will take on the formatting of the column to its left, so if text to the left thne your new column is text. Just format the cell(s) as general, hit F2 and ...

paste link excel 2007 and windows 7
So here is the thing, the other day I was doing a training course on Excel 2007 and the customer was using Windows 7, which I have to admit i like, but when I got to the bit about paste link it all went horribly wrong. The nice shortcut of pressing = then clicking on the cell in the other window does not work. Copying the cell in the window and then moving back to the original file and choosing paste link, opens up all sorts of options and none appear to link back to the cell in the other document. Any help of how to do this would be appreciate (apart from typing it in - whi...

Disappearing guidelines
My horizontal and vertical guidelines keep on disappearing every time I scroll or zoom in / out of the page. I press alt+f9, which seems to turn some guidelines on and others off, but I can't get the guidelines to stay. Is there anything I can do? Hi See: http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/PowerPoint_Guides.html -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "ctsam" wrote: > My horizontal and vertical guidelines keep on disappearing every time I > scroll ...

MS Works to MS Excel
Can MS Works spreadsheet be transferred to MS Excel without retyping all content? "=?Utf-8?B?QSBQbGF0dA==?=" <ASPlatt@comcast.net> wrote in news:921E6423-CEB6-461C-8BDE-38C7753FEC9B@microsoft.com: > Can MS Works spreadsheet be transferred to MS Excel without retyping > all content? yes -- My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid. Please remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want to reply. But you'll have to save it in a format that both can read. I don't use Works, but I think that it can save its files in an...

Excel 2007
This is very irritating...I need to be able to find a resolution to this problem. The Excel workbook simply contains Named Lists that I need to have working. When this error occurs (seems random), I lose them and my workbook doesn't work anymore. (I am forced to answer 'yes' to the question: "Error found unreadable content in 'cosapa.xlsm'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes." I have to go back and recreate them until this happens again. I desperately need help or assistance in ord...

text messaging to exchange 2007
I'm not sure this is the correct group for this. Does anyone know if text messages can be sent to an exchange 2007 mailbox? thanks, Bob Hello Bob, > I'm not sure this is the correct group for this. Does anyone know if > text messages can be sent to an exchange 2007 mailbox? > > thanks, > Bob Yes, they can - just like any email address - my wife does it all the time from her Verizon phone. Karl http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/ Sure enough, I tried it and it works just fine. Thanks! Bob "Karl Mitschke" <karlmits...

Visio 2007
Dear all. Explanation of issue: I have published a visio file via sharepoint by saving the file as a webpage. I have several sheets in the visio page. When opening the file in sharepoint, it gives a generic view with the option of selecting what sheet to pick. However, it does not change the url address when I select a new sheet. It simply keeps the address the same regardless which sheet I choose. My target is to create a link directly to a sheet instead of seeing the overview. If I try this today, it will merely prompt me to the generic view first and from there I have to select the sheet...

Microsoft 2007 Excel quirks with Charting
Has anyone had this happen to them yet? I have created an SPC line chart with my data. I add my titles, logo, copyright info, etc. Everything looks great. I save and close it. When upon opening it again, everything within the chart is distorted. The Y axis is about 1" high, the images and copyright I inserted are huge and distorted. So I basically need to go back in and readjust all elements of the chart to original size and shape. It's driving me crazy! However, what I have noticed, is that once you open the chart for the first time in 2007 version, it does this, you f...

Limits to selections in Autofilter drop-down? (Excel 2000)
In this instance, I'm working with a large spreadsheet (~55K records). The user wants to be able to select either a vendor name or a tax-identification number (TIN) from the autofilter drop down list. However, not all of the selections which exist in the worksheet appear in the drop-down list. The number of unique vendors and TINs probably approaches the total number of records in the worksheet. As a work- around, I've suggested to the user that they first filter on a field that has a small number (~50) of unique values, then to filter on TIN or vendor. Is there a known ...

Migrate from IMAP / POP3 to Exchange 2007
Hi everyone, Is there a tool that will let you migrate from a POP3 / IMAP based email system to Exchange 2007 such as the Migration Wizzard that came with Exchange 2003? many thanks There may be some info here that is of use http://www.freeemailmigrations.com/ AM "Jon Warburton" <jon@jwarburton.com> wrote in message news:%23$NzozXOHHA.4104@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi everyone, > > Is there a tool that will let you migrate from a POP3 / IMAP based email > system to Exchange 2007 such as the Migration Wizzard that came with > Exchange 2003? > >...

Access2007 in Sharepoint
If i put an access2007 mdb on sharepoint, does everyone has to have the same version of access to use the mdb? On Dec 11, 1:24 pm, casper <cas...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If i put an access2007 mdb on sharepoint, does everyone has to have the same > version of access to use the mdb? My impression is not really. or at least not if you don't want a frequently corruped database. Access can look at and access and link to sharepoint tables/views HOWEVER I have found it to be horribly slow. I have written a couple of apps that pulled info from sharepoint and the best w...