Newbie question on Admin vs Developer vs Power User

I'm learning Sharepoing/Moss now and there seems to be a definite
distinction in all the course materials between
Administrators/Developers/Power Users

They seem to make a big point about identifying 'power users' in
different sections of the work environment to handle a lot of the
stuff, but then again, all the tasks seem to blur from one role to the
other - and, if you gave enough of the tasks over to the 'Power
users', as they call them, it seems to take away from the other roles.

Now, maybe I've never worked in a business enterprise that's big
enough to handle all roles, but to me, it would seem like, for job
security, you would want to handle as many duties as possible.

Then, of course, I'm still learning and I don't have a Sharepoint job.
What's it more like in the real world?
0
Elmo

SharePoint is an End User product, and as such needs to be managed by those
people who will be using it, the end user. Administrators in a SharePoint
environment will oversee the big picture, creating web applications,
managing the services, (search being a big one) and developers will create
the custom functions that people need in order to be able to do their jobs.
But at the end of the day, it is the End User that needs to be able to
manage the content, create the pages and libraries, grant access and such to
the content they are responsible for.

--
Daniel A. Galant

Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine.

"Elmo" <sputnik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm learning Sharepoing/Moss now and there seems to be a definite
> distinction in all the course materials between
> Administrators/Developers/Power Users
>
> They seem to make a big point about identifying 'power users' in
> different sections of the work environment to handle a lot of the
> stuff, but then again, all the tasks seem to blur from one role to the
> other - and, if you gave enough of the tasks over to the 'Power
> users', as they call them, it seems to take away from the other roles.
>
> Now, maybe I've never worked in a business enterprise that's big
> enough to handle all roles, but to me, it would seem like, for job
> security, you would want to handle as many duties as possible.
>
> Then, of course, I'm still learning and I don't have a Sharepoint job.
> What's it more like in the real world?

0
Daniel
2/23/2010 7:12:47 PM
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:12:47 -0600, "Daniel A. Galant"
<daniel.galant@mindsharp.com> wrote:

>SharePoint is an End User product, and as such needs to be managed by those
>people who will be using it, the end user. Administrators in a SharePoint
>environment will oversee the big picture, creating web applications,
>managing the services, (search being a big one) and developers will create
>the custom functions that people need in order to be able to do their jobs.
>But at the end of the day, it is the End User that needs to be able to
>manage the content, create the pages and libraries, grant access and such to
>the content they are responsible for.

So, then, how does the developer position fit in there? Are there
actual developer positions available in the real world, or is it a
combination of the two (for the most part)?
0
Elmo
2/23/2010 7:58:22 PM
There are plenty of SharePoint developer spots in the "real world". I'm
constantly seeing tweets from folks looking for a developer.

--

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:12:47 -0600, "Daniel A. Galant"
> <daniel.galant@mindsharp.com> wrote:
>
>>SharePoint is an End User product, and as such needs to be managed by
>>those
>>people who will be using it, the end user. Administrators in a SharePoint
>>environment will oversee the big picture, creating web applications,
>>managing the services, (search being a big one) and developers will create
>>the custom functions that people need in order to be able to do their
>>jobs.
>>But at the end of the day, it is the End User that needs to be able to
>>manage the content, create the pages and libraries, grant access and such
>>the content they are responsible for.
>
> So, then, how does the developer position fit in there? Are there
> actual developer positions available in the real world, or is it a
> combination of the two (for the most part)?

0
Daniel
2/23/2010 10:46:24 PM
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:46:24 -0600, "Daniel A. Galant"
<daniel.galant@mindsharp.com> wrote:

>There are plenty of SharePoint developer spots in the "real world". I'm
>constantly seeing tweets from folks looking for a developer.

I guess - what is the real world definition of what a Developer does -
what are they asking for when they are looking for a developer? What
are the most asked for duties for a developer (that you're familiar
with)?
0
Elmo
2/24/2010 2:33:33 AM
What is it you're looking for? Developers 'develop". They create custom
solutions for business needs by writing code. I'm not a developer, I don't
write code. I have friends who are developers. They write the code.

--

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:46:24 -0600, "Daniel A. Galant"
> <daniel.galant@mindsharp.com> wrote:
>
>>There are plenty of SharePoint developer spots in the "real world". I'm
>>constantly seeing tweets from folks looking for a developer.
>
> I guess - what is the real world definition of what a Developer does -
> what are they asking for when they are looking for a developer? What
> are the most asked for duties for a developer (that you're familiar
> with)?

0
Daniel

Please help with Excel VB question
Hi, I'm trying to set a Name range in Excel through VB, by setting the name property when a specific cell in a worksheet is changed. The code is as follows: fred1 = CStr("=PL!$A$4:$E$" Worksheets("Control").Range("maxnumpass").Value) ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="numpasslist", RefersTo:=fred1 My problem is that the change is only active for the worksheet where I change the cell. Is it possible to ensure that this change takes effect across all worksheets in the workbook? Any and all help appreciated either in a reply to this post or on jgal...

Multithreading Question
Hi, I am writing a multithreaded server application. I have written a class to handle thread(CThread , say) activities like creating, suspending, resuming threads etc. I have derived a class from CThread (CMainThread, say) and a class (CClientThread, say) to handle client connection which is also derived from CThread. In CMainThread class i am creating a thread and waiting for incomming connections. As soon as a connection came i am creating an object for CClientThread and call the function to create a thread and so on. code flow: 1. Start the main listening thread. 2. wait for a con...

MS CRM Certification question

update trigger question
If I have something like this in an update trigger: if update(FirstName) or update(LastName) begin update n set FullName = i.FirstName + ' ' + i.LastName from Names n inner join inserted i on n.NameID = i.NameID end I only want FullName to update if either FirstName or LastName are updated. Here's my question. A batch update updates 50 rows in the table. Of the 50, only 20 have changes made to the FirstName or LastName columns. It's my understanding that the "if update()" ONLY allows 20 rows that fit the if update criteria to be updated in the...

Newbie, accnts. payable & accnts.receivable sample DB
Hi guys, I�m running access 2003, windows xp pro SP2 I've been commission in my work to do a small application to track and report the accounts payable and accounts receivable movements, I'm not an accounting savvy person :(, does anyone know of a link or sample access database that can help me with the basic structure of the tables and reports?, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Really simple questions re CSliderCtrl
Using SetSelection() I can get a CSliderCtrl to display a highlighted selection ... but so what? What use is it other than to look pretty? Which of the following is possible, and how do I do them? (1) Prevent the user from moving the thumb outside the highlighted range. (This seems to be what the documentation suggests that SetSelection does, but in fact it doesn't, the thumb can be moved outside the selection.) (2) Have the user change the selection. (The documentation seems to suggest this is possible, but I can find no combination of keystrokes or mouse actions that will do it.) -- ...

multithreading question
I drive my game's physics engine using a simple loop running on its own thread. It invokes Thread.Sleep(1) when processing takes little or no time (under 4ms) to allow real time to catch up. For heavier loads the loop uses bigger timeslices, up to 20ms, with no sleeps. Since this is a multithreaded application, I decided to break out CHESS to test the object (render) buffer for problems. But CHESS hates Thread.Sleep() - it fails any test that hits one, calls it a livelock. I ended up switching out the original realtime loop with a high resolution multimedia timer, but I ...

Email Setup Questions
Howdy and Happy New Year! I just bought a new computer and I'm trying to set up Outlook. Other than logging onto work email using the internet from a hotel o at home, I've never used Outlook away from work. I have several different email accounts: Hotmail, AOL, and work emai (which uses Outlook). Is it possible to utilize Outlook to retrieve my emails from th separate accounts? Can I setup each of the folders for the differen email accounts all on the left side? After I set it up, how does Outlook know which account I'm using when send email? Hotmail? Work? I need h...

Visio Newbie
Hello all, this is my first time using Visio for drawing a floor plan and I have a quick question. Yesterday, (Using a tape measure) I mapped out the floor plan of an office my company might be moving into. I wrote everything down in Inches. Is there a way once I get a room shape kinda close to teh measurements, that I can manually type in teh length for each wall? if not in inches, at least in feet. For example, I have one wall that is 154 inches ( 12.83 ft) Then the next wall is 242 incehs( 20.1 ft) The opposite wall of the first measurement is 288 inches, third wall 100 inches, then 13...

Business Portal Show user
Hey, Does anyone know of how to get the business portal to display who is logged on at that moment in the header area? Thanks ...

General design question
hi! i'd like to design a class - let's call it CDrawObject - that is able to contain some data and draw itself. furthermore i'd like to have a class CDrawMultiObject that is derived from CDrawObject and can contain objects of type CDrawObject. i imagine to have the following situation: CDrawMultiObject -> base object (i.e. an object manager ) CDrawObject -> first element CDrawObject -> secound element CDrawMultiObject -> third element CDrawObject -> first element CDrawObject...

Exchange newbie problem
Hi all; A user on our domain was deleted when he should not have been. His mail box was not deleted. When his account was recreated, we tried to reconnect the old mailbox. But when selecting a user in the "Select a new user for this mailbox" dialog a message comes back saying that the user cannot be found. We tried several different users a none can be found even though they can get there mail just fine. We need to get the messages from this mailbox. Any ideas would be great -- Craig in the High Desert. craig@craignet.com But it's a dry heat. you should be able to reconnec...

C++ / Access Newbie
Hi Folks... I have a small commercial package written in C++ (targeted to Windows platforms) that uses its own proprietary database. We are just starting to investigate the option of replacing our database with a commercial package, such as Access or MySQL. Can anyone recommend informative reading that provides details on programming C++ with either of these two databases? At this stage we have no (any I mean ZERO) experience such programming. Any information would be helpful: recommendations for Access over MySQL (or vice versa), sources of such comparisons, licensing considerations, OD...

Outlook vs MyDoom
Dear All, I was wondering what measures can be taken against the MyDoom virus when using Microsoft Outlook 2000 as a mail client. I have adequate virus protection in place. However I am still receiving emails with infected file attachments. Is it possible to filter out certain file extensions? If so, how do you do this? Also is there any other measures I can take to reduce the number of infected emails I receive? Many Thanks, Mr J Barwell Get an antispam program like mailwasher (mailwasher.net). Outlook can't filter out attachments, it's all or nothing. You'll need a 3rd pa...

How will I do Excel user-defined function to extract letters from string
How will I extract letters from this string like... to: AB-123456-45 AB BCD-678901-23 BCD E-23454 E if I this bottom code extract numbers from a the same string: Function ExtractNum(rCell As Range) Dim iCount As Integer, i As Integer Dim sText As String Dim lNum As String sText = rCell For iCount = Len(sText) To 1 Step -1 If IsNumeric(Mid(sText, iCount, 1)) Then i = i + 1 lNum = Mid(sText, iCount, 1) & lNum End If If i = 1 Then lNum = CInt(Mid(lNum, 1, 1)) Next iCount ExtractNum ...

Printing question
We are having an issue with LPR printing using our software in conjucntion with a Windows 2008 server which is preventing us from being able to flash images to a printer from our application. We use Universe, SB+ and SBClient and would use the DOS shell from inside SBClient to use LPR print commands to send the images to the printer, this has worked fine on all other Windows servers but not 2008. What happens is when you drop to DOS you can browse to the %systemroot%\system32 folder and do a dir but you cannot see LPR. If you do the same from a normal command prompt the file ...

tracking user messages
Hi how to obtain the ip address or machine name of an user who is sending message from outlook 2003 client and on a private wan ( not using SMTP connection through internet) thanks at all Try auditing successfull logon events then search the log for that account...if memory serves that will give you computer name and username. "Frédéric de Thysebaert" wrote: > Hi > how to obtain the ip address or machine name of an user who is sending > message from outlook 2003 client and on a private wan ( not using SMTP > connection through internet) > > th...

Money vs Quicken #3
Does anyone know if Quicken tries to start the dialer everytime you run it like Money2005 does?? This is driving me nuts and I would consider changing if Quicken behaves better. Frank Quicken has this as a preference. I happen to have mine turned off. "Frank" <fjmet@amisp.net> wrote in message news:<ubF8I$suEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>... > Does anyone know if Quicken tries to start the dialer everytime you run it > like Money2005 does?? This is driving me nuts and I would consider changing > if Quicken behaves better. > Frank Quicken 2005 doesn't ...

General Question
Is this the only way to get Outlook help without having to pay? There are lots of websites with information posted. http://www.slipstick.com for one. Of course there's always http://www.microsoft.com/outlook. And the online help files in Outlook. (Press F1) -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Amy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03c701c3a959$cafe41f0$a3012...

OE vs. Outlook or Windows mail
I currently have a desktop, using OE, because I do a lot of newsgroups. Will be gettin a new laptop, which I realize will not be able to have OE. If an email is opened in Desktop OE, would it still be available for Laptop Windows Mail or Laptop Outlook ? Or vice-versa ? Any other thoughts and /or recommendations on this particular situation ? How are newsgroups accessed without OE ? Thanks, -- Steve Mc DNA to SBC to respond 1: If both computers are using the same e-mail address, on both machines: Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Che...

2 Macro Questions
If I assign a macro to a forms button on the sheet if I copy the book and load it on my friends computer do the macros go with them. Can a macro button be assign to a cell so when clicked it will print (72,8) from that cell, and what formula would I need? -- Thanks in advance for your help....Bob Vance .. .. .. .. Hi Bob 1. Yes, the macro code is copied as well 2. You can add some code to the Doubleclick event of your button. I'm not so sure what you mean with 'print'? Insert a value in a specific cell. If yes, try the following code: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Me...

Validation in XP vs 2000
I'm producing an application in excel which uses validation to allow users to pick from a list in certain cells. I am using excel 2002 but other users in a different company are using Excel 2000. When they open the s/sheet in excel 2000 the validation drop down lists do not appear. Does excel 2000 support validation in the same way as 2002? Is there another reason why the validation might not work on their PC? What's the best/simplest alternative way of incorporating drop down lists to limit the entries users can make in cell? First, is there any validation at all? If i...

newbie
joining the group Hey Newbie where are you from and what versiona re you using? Fliehigh "cthomas23@hotmail.com" wrote: > joining the group > ...

Run Integration Quicker-Newbie
I am running an integration to import sales orders for invoicing. I use several additional query criteria in IM, but I do not think these criteria are passed to SQL Server 2000. Instead, the records are returned, then the criteria are applied. The integration is taking quite a bit of time to run. Does anyone have an idea on how to pass the criteria to SQL Server, or any other ideas to increase the performance? Thanks. use a SQL Server View "Shannon LeVert" <slevert@aviagen.com> wrote in message news:06c701c46daa$fbad4100$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am running an in...

Off topic question
Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups? What sorts of questions? About the groups themselves? About Usenet? About newsreaders such as Outlook Express (which I see you're using)? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Jim Birke .com>" <jimbir@yahoo<notthis> wrote in message news:eELhwFfqKHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups? > > I am subscribed to several newsgroups in msn...