Need no-install (i.e. no admin rights) database to run from HTA on win7 x64

I need to be able to create a small HTA capable of running on Win 7x64
as well as WinPE3.  I would have preferred to use the MS text driver
and store the data in an simple CSV,  but that is no longer included
within the MDAC, and is not available in Windows 7 x64.

There is no guarantee of administrative permissions on target
machines.

I'm looking at using SQLitePlus (com wrapper for SQLite) and wondered
if anyone has used it, or has an alternative that may be able to be
used.
0
BNSGuy

 I don't know if this is the right thing for your
needs, but you can actually use Windows
Installer. See here:

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/msicode.php5

  There are two samples of custom databases --
the zip code finder and the code library. There's
also a VBS class and a fullblown COM library
for easy access to MSIs.

  An MSI is a storage file with an API that mimics
a simple subset of SQL. Microsoft uses MSIs with
specific tables, for installing software. But within
certain limits an MSI can be used for anything.

  As for admin permission issues, I'm not sure
about how HTAs or MSIs fit into that. You wouldn't
have to install anything if you use an HTA frontend
to an MSI, but restrictions like writing to files or
writing to HKLM would be the same no matter what
process tries to do it.

|I need to be able to create a small HTA capable of running on Win 7x64
| as well as WinPE3.  I would have preferred to use the MS text driver
| and store the data in an simple CSV,  but that is no longer included
| within the MDAC, and is not available in Windows 7 x64.
|
| There is no guarantee of administrative permissions on target
| machines.
|
| I'm looking at using SQLitePlus (com wrapper for SQLite) and wondered
| if anyone has used it, or has an alternative that may be able to be
| used.

0
Mayayana
4/8/2010 4:38:33 AM
On Apr 8, 12:38=A0am, "Mayayana" <mayay...@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> =A0I don't know if this is the right thing for your
> needs, but you can actually use Windows
> Installer. See here:
>
> http://www.jsware.net/jsware/msicode.php5
>
> =A0 There are two samples of custom databases --
> the zip code finder and the code library. There's
> also a VBS class and a fullblown COM library
> for easy access to MSIs.
>
> =A0 An MSI is a storage file with an API that mimics
> a simple subset of SQL. Microsoft uses MSIs with
> specific tables, for installing software. But within
> certain limits an MSI can be used for anything.
>
> =A0 As for admin permission issues, I'm not sure
> about how HTAs or MSIs fit into that. You wouldn't
> have to install anything if you use an HTA frontend
> to an MSI, but restrictions like writing to files or
> writing to HKLM would be the same no matter what
> process tries to do it.
>
> |I need to be able to create a small HTA capable of running on Win 7x64
> | as well as WinPE3. =A0I would have preferred to use the MS text driver
> | and store the data in an simple CSV, =A0but that is no longer included
> | within the MDAC, and is not available in Windows 7 x64.
> |
> | There is no guarantee of administrative permissions on target
> | machines.
> |
> | I'm looking at using SQLitePlus (com wrapper for SQLite) and wondered
> | if anyone has used it, or has an alternative that may be able to be
> | used.

What about using something like MySql/MySQL-lite?  does anyone know of
a 'true' dbengine that can be used without a traditional install by
simply registering a DLL, and if so, one that can run within a PE
environment?
0
BNSGuy

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Database problems in Vista
I have been using a database on my XP machine with Access 2007 without problems but when I run it on my Vista machine I cannot make any of the buttons on the switchboard work - I get the message: "The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or classs does not support the set of events!" I can run all the queries, forms etc from the database window. Is there something I need to do to make the switchboard buttons work? See: http://allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html Option 2 is probably the best general solution. -- A...

Excel need help

cannot receive e-mail from outside domains
We have a lcient who cannot receive e-mail from domains outside his own. He is not behind a pix firewall. Please respond and let me know what you think I should check to try and resolve this issue. Thanks David GOldberg Hi David What is your clients domain name? Do they have an MX record configured on an external DNS server for his domain? -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "David Goldberg" <DavidGoldberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A70129B4-64D2-4815-AF12-80...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Internal e-mail in queue (in CRM 3.0)
Sorry if i am repeating it , i tried but couldnt find the answer. I can get the external e-mail in queue but not internal e-mail in CRM 3.0. Is there any work around?, i did something wrong , or this is the way , it works :0) regards / Aami ...

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

create user mailbox rules from admin/server
If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go to certain folders etc, I have usually logged in as that user and created the rule using the outlook rules wizard. Is there a way I can create rules like this from the server, or admin account, so i dont have to log in as every user each time i want to add a rule? Not that I'm aware of, and I'm sure you couldn't do it without some fancy scripting. Why not leave this up to the user, and send them basic instructions? Aaron wrote: > If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go > ...

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

Killing the off-line database
Having to kill the off line database to add new records seems a little extreme if you have to do it every day but thank you for the answer. I think they will should have a wireless connection anyway. I am sorry I really don't know how Windows wireless works. In any case what about Active Server pages? Is it secure for only a company intranet. Is there a way to only allow connections to the database via Active Server pages only from desinated IP's? Also, say the .mdb database is on a wireless network can those people still navigate through the network to get to the .mdb database. ...

I need Help

need help badly

BCM install
I installed the Business Contact Manager. I was already using Outlook 2003. After the installation I thought that new menus would be added or something, but there isn't anything that I see to use the BCM features. I restarted. I browsed to the BCM directory and ran the enable.exe and it says it is already enabled. Suggestions? John Are you also using Exchange? BCM is not compatible with an Exchange account. - Sue Mosher, Outlook MV Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com Author o Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users,...

VBA code to run macro in certain file based on name of file in cel
I am trying to come up with code that will run a macro in a workbook where the path and name of the workbook are in a cell reference. I have tried the following with no luck. The path to the file is located in cell F36 of worksheet, "Customize" and the name of the file is located in cell F42. The name of the macro is "ClearTotalSavings". Any help from one of you gurus would sure be appreciated. Application.Run "'" & Workbooks(Sheets("Customize").Range("F36").Value) & "\" & Sheets("Customize").R...

Database backup whilst the POS is in use
I currently do my daily database backup during the night using a scheduled Windows task. The backup is copied to multiple hard disks on different PCs. I would like to do additional backups during the day whilst the POS is being used. Does RMS SO actually allow this or would I have to briefly shutdown the POS for the backup? I am on V2, SP2. Thanks for your reply. Yes, you can run backups while POS is running. You can even run backups when multiple manager programs are running. SQL server is built to handle many different concurrent connections. As another option, you can also use the c...

Could not install custom actions. The object could not be found.
How do I easily fix this Please see http://www.officeforlawyers.com/howask.htm -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Help" <Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:168E404F-B740-4DEB-9F5A-83D3E1BA2DB9@microsoft.com... > How do I easily fix this > ...

Need Help Despertly!

EX2003 SP2 Install failed
Hello, I am trying to install SP2 on a OWA server running Exch 2003 and SP1. When I get to the Component Selection screeen I get a pop-up stating: Multiple components cannot be assigned the requested action(s) because: - You cannot install this product on a computer running Windows Professional. SRVinfo displays: Server Name: OWAmail2 Security: Users Registered Owner: ELN Registered Organization: HOME Corp ProductID: 69712-XXX-6517171-XXXXX Original Install Date: Sat Aug 14 11:04:36 2004 Base Source Path: D:\I386 Service Pack Source Path: D:\ Version: 5.2 Build: 3790.srv03_gdr.05022...

Plug in needed