Definitely a Newbie--Need an example

I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script of
a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the file.
Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on? Maybe
something that simply prints some text or prints the results of a simple
calculation. I'm using Win 7.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks

wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script of
> a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the file.
> Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on? Maybe
> something that simply prints some text or prints the results of a simple
> calculation. I'm using Win 7.

-----------------Demo.vbs----------------
MsgBox "Hello, World!"

Useful link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx

Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en

Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
--
Crash

Atheism is a matter of faith, too.
0
Dave
8/10/2010 1:03:33 PM
On 8/10/2010 6:03 AM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:
> wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
>> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script
>> of a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the
>> file. Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on?
>> Maybe something that simply prints some text or prints the results of
>> a simple calculation. I'm using Win 7.
>
> -----------------Demo.vbs----------------
> MsgBox "Hello, World!"
>
> Useful link:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>
> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en
>

> Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
OK, I used notepad to put the line of text above into a a vbs file,
tryit.vbs. Clicking on it twice only brought it up in Notepad. What is
watch wrap?

I then went to the first link and found a similar one line piece of
code. I presume that it would work as described, but was surprised to
see that it needs to be done in the command window. Is that generally
how one executes scripts?

I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the script56 chm
file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a Help dialog.
In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the web
canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/10/2010 3:12:43 PM

<wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 8/10/2010 6:03 AM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:
>> wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
>>> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script
>>> of a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the
>>> file. Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on?
>>> Maybe something that simply prints some text or prints the results of
>>> a simple calculation. I'm using Win 7.
>>
>> -----------------Demo.vbs----------------
>> MsgBox "Hello, World!"
>>
>> Useful link:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>>
>> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en
>>

>> Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
> OK, I used notepad to put the line of text above into a a vbs file,
> tryit.vbs. Clicking on it twice only brought it up in Notepad. What is
> watch wrap?

The wrap is that you put the code into a file called wolf.vbs.txt. Now if
you make it wolf.vbs then it will work.

0
Pegasus
8/10/2010 3:24:11 PM
On 8/10/2010 8:24 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> -----------------Demo.vbs----------------
>>> MsgBox "Hello, World!"
>>>
>>> Useful link:
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>>>
>>> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en
>>>

>>> Protocol pointer. Limit signature to four lines.
>> OK, I used notepad to put the line of text above into a a vbs file,
>> tryit.vbs. Clicking on it twice only brought it up in Notepad. What is
>> watch wrap?
>>

> The wrap is that you put the code into a file called wolf.vbs.txt. Now
> if you make it wolf.vbs then it will work.
Clicking it twice does not work. Notepad comes up. I'm using Win7.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/10/2010 3:34:04 PM
wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
> On 8/10/2010 8:24 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>

>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> OK, I used notepad to put the line of text above into a a vbs file,
>>> tryit.vbs. Clicking on it twice only brought it up in Notepad. What is
>>> watch wrap?
>>>

>> The wrap is that you put the code into a file called wolf.vbs.txt. Now
>> if you make it wolf.vbs then it will work.
> Clicking it twice does not work. Notepad comes up. I'm using Win7.

Actually, what I meant by "watch wrap" was beware of the newsreader
inserting a line break in the long link, but Pegasus' warning is good, too.

Ok, try this. Copy the text between the dash lines and save it as
"demo.hta," and see if that runs.
<script type="text/vbs">
document.writeLn "Hello, World!"
</script>

Another thing you can do is right click on a .vbs file, select
"Properties," and see what is specified to open the file.
--
Crash

Atheism is a matter of faith, too.
0
Dave
8/10/2010 4:02:51 PM
"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
>> On 8/10/2010 8:24 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>>

>>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> The wrap is that you put the code into a file called wolf.vbs.txt. Now
>>> if you make it wolf.vbs then it will work.
>> Clicking it twice does not work. Notepad comes up. I'm using Win7.
>
> Actually, what I meant by "watch wrap" was beware of the newsreader
> inserting a line break in the long link, but Pegasus' warning is good,
> too.
>
> Ok, try this. Copy the text between the dash lines and save it as
> "demo.hta," and see if that runs.
> <script type="text/vbs">
> document.writeLn "Hello, World!"
> </script>
>
> Another thing you can do is right click on a .vbs file, select
> "Properties," and see what is specified to open the file.

  Dave,
  He is using notepad and when he saves, he is not selecting "All
Files(*.*)", so notepad appends a .TXT on the end of the filename, so when
he clicks on it it keeps opening notepad.

Thats why I hate "hide extensions of known filetypes" as the default setting
for file viewing.

> Crash
>
> Atheism is a matter of faith, too.

0
mbyerley
8/10/2010 5:07:13 PM
On 8/10/2010 10:07 AM, mbyerley wrote:
> "Dave "Crash" Dummy"<invalid@invalid.invalid>  wrote in message
>> wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:

>>> Clicking it twice does not work. Notepad comes up. I'm using Win7.
>>
>> Actually, what I meant by "watch wrap" was beware of the newsreader
>> inserting a line break in the long link, but Pegasus' warning is good,
>> too.
>>
>> Ok, try this. Copy the text between the dash lines and save it as
>> "demo.hta," and see if that runs.
>> <script type="text/vbs">
>> document.writeLn "Hello, World!"
>> </script>
>>
>> Another thing you can do is right click on a .vbs file, select
>> "Properties," and see what is specified to open the file.
>
>    Dave,
>    He is using notepad and when he saves, he is not selecting "All
> Files(*.*)", so notepad appends a .TXT on the end of the filename, so when
> he clicks on it it keeps opening notepad.
>
> Thats why I hate "hide extensions of known filetypes" as the default setting
> for file viewing.
>

>> Crash
>>
>> Atheism is a matter of faith, too.

I thought I made that clear there is no dangling .txt. The only suffix
is vbs.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/10/2010 5:52:06 PM
On 8/10/2010 9:02 AM, Dave "Crash" Dummy wrote:
> wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
>> On 8/10/2010 8:24 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>>

>>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> The wrap is that you put the code into a file called wolf.vbs.txt. Now
>>> if you make it wolf.vbs then it will work.
>> Clicking it twice does not work. Notepad comes up. I'm using Win7.
>
> Actually, what I meant by "watch wrap" was beware of the newsreader
> inserting a line break in the long link, but Pegasus' warning is good, too.
>
> Ok, try this. Copy the text between the dash lines and save it as
> "demo.hta," and see if that runs.
> <script type="text/vbs">
> document.writeLn "Hello, World!"
> </script>
>
> Another thing you can do is right click on a .vbs file, select
> "Properties," and see what is specified to open the file.
Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.

There seem to be too many ways to start a script.

Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/10/2010 5:54:58 PM
wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:

Re:  Your tag line:

> Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
>            over a lifetime:
>               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
>               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

I'm not saying coal is better (or worse) but, gee... them must be pretty
small railroad cars...  A railroad car can carry about 240,000 pounds...

John
0
John
8/10/2010 6:22:33 PM
> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and selecting
> it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>
> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>
> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?

There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just VB
Script.
b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
double-clicking it in Explorer).
c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs

There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will come
to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.

What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is it, in
fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from the
Micorosoft site?

0
Pegasus
8/10/2010 7:44:33 PM
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>
>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>
>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>

> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script: a) Right-click the
> shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just VB Script. b)
> Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
> double-clicking it in Explorer). c) With the command cscript.exe
> [parms] NameOfScript.vbs d) With the command wscript.exe [parms]
> NameOfScript.vbs
>
> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>  come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.

Speaking of subtle differences, there may be four ways to /run/ a
script, but there are many more ways to /open/ a script, like with a
text editor, and I think that is where the OP got into trouble.

--
Crash

Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.
0
Dave
8/10/2010 8:04:12 PM
On 8/10/2010 12:44 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>
>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>
>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>

> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
> VB Script.
> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
> double-clicking it in Explorer).
> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>
> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>
> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
> the Micorosoft site?
 From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".

Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
I don't use Explorer.
Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I couldn't
download?

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/10/2010 8:17:59 PM
> On 8/10/2010 12:44 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>>
>>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>>
>>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>>

>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
>> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
>> VB Script.
>> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>> double-clicking it in Explorer).
>> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>
>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>>
>> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
>> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
>> the Micorosoft site?
> From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
> Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
> web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".

  The *.chm file has to be on a local drive or you will get the display you
describe.

> Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
> I don't use Explorer.
> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I couldn't
> download?
>
> --
>            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
>              (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
>               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
>            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
>            over a lifetime:
>               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
>               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars
>
>                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens
>
>                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
mbyerley
8/10/2010 8:43:39 PM
mbyerley wrote:
> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Another thing you can do is right click on a .vbs file, select
>> "Properties," and see what is specified to open the file.
>
>  Dave,
>  He is using notepad and when he saves, he is not selecting "All
> Files(*.*)", so notepad appends a .TXT on the end of the filename, so when
> he clicks on it it keeps opening notepad.
>
> Thats why I hate "hide extensions of known filetypes" as the default
> setting for file viewing.

Notepad should not append .TXT to known file types like .VBS when specified.
However, you can always force any file name by enclosing it in double
quotes.

"testscript.vbs"

--
Todd Vargo

(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

0
Todd
8/10/2010 9:50:21 PM
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
> wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.

This sounds like your system has .vbs files set to default to open in
Notepad.
To change this, open Explorer> Tools> Folder Options.
Click the "File Types" tab, type "VBS" to locate the VBS extension.
Press the "Advanced" button and select which action you want to be default
and press the "Set Default" button.

>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>
>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>

> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just VB
> Script.
> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
> double-clicking it in Explorer).
> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs

e) Double-click the vbscript file itself (forgot to include the obvious).
f) Type the script name in the Run command dialog.
g) Call one script from another using Wshell.Run method
h) Batch file or other program
i) Task Scheduler
j) Run key in registry
.... etc.

Caveat to any of these where only script.vbs is provided, the script must be
located in the current directory or located along PATH. In the case of the
Run dialog, in XP. that will typically be the users home directory.

> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will come
> to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>
> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is it,
> in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from the
> Micorosoft site?

0
Todd
8/10/2010 10:46:14 PM
On 8/10/2010 1:43 PM, mbyerley wrote:
> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com>  wrote in message

>>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
>>> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
>>> VB Script.
>>> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>>> double-clicking it in Explorer).
>>> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>>
>>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>>> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>>>
>>> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
>>> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
>>> the Micorosoft site?
>>  From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
>> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
>> Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
>> web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".
>
>    The *.chm file has to be on a local drive or you will get the display you
> describe.
>
>> Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
>> I don't use Explorer.
>> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I couldn't
>> download?

It is on a local drive. script56.chm is in my download folder.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/10/2010 10:52:43 PM

<wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 8/10/2010 12:44 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>>
>>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>>
>>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>>

>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
>> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
>> VB Script.
>> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>> double-clicking it in Explorer).
>> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>
>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>>
>> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
>> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
>> the Micorosoft site?
> From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
> Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
> web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".

Have a look here - "Ways of getting rid of the warning when opening a file":
http://smallvoid.com/article/ie-attachment-manager.html
Right-click the blocked file, and select Properties, and on the General-tab
click Unblock.

> Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
> I don't use Explorer.
> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I couldn't
> download?

What .exe file?

0
Pegasus
8/10/2010 11:47:11 PM

> Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>> Selecting Properties worked. A choice for MS script came up, and
>>> selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it.
>>>
>>> There seem to be too many ways to start a script.
>>>
>>> Any comments about the strange download of the tutor or intro file?
>>>

>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script: a) Right-click the
>> shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just VB Script. b)
>> Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>> double-clicking it in Explorer). c) With the command cscript.exe
>> [parms] NameOfScript.vbs d) With the command wscript.exe [parms]
>> NameOfScript.vbs
>>
>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>>  come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>
> Speaking of subtle differences, there may be four ways to /run/ a
> script, but there are many more ways to /open/ a script, like with a
> text editor, and I think that is where the OP got into trouble.

Maybe, in which case he needs to become aware of the difference between
"starting" or "running" a script and "editing" it.

0
Pegasus
8/10/2010 11:48:48 PM
> On 8/10/2010 1:43 PM, mbyerley wrote:
>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com>  wrote in message

>>>  From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
>>> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like a
>>> Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to the
>>> web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".
>>
>>    The *.chm file has to be on a local drive or you will get the display
>> you
>> describe.
>>
>>> Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
>>> I don't use Explorer.
>>> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I couldn't
>>> download?
>
> It is on a local drive. script56.chm is in my download folder.

  If you attempt to open a *.chm file from a remote server or a network
share, you will get the behavior you describe.  It is because of a security
restriction MS incorporated a few years ago.  Of course I don't expect you
to take my word for it, but Google can explain it to you in intimate detail.

>            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
>              (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
>               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
>            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
>            over a lifetime:
>               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
>               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars
>
>                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens
>
>                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
mbyerley
8/11/2010 3:06:52 AM
On 8/10/2010 4:47 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> There are exactly four ways to launch a VB Script:
>>> a) Right-click the shortcut. This is common for all shortcuts, not just
>>> VB Script.
>>> b) Typing the script name at the command prompt (which is the same as
>>> double-clicking it in Explorer).
>>> c) With the command cscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>> d) With the command wscript.exe [parms] NameOfScript.vbs
>>>
>>> There are certain subtle differences between c) and d) which you will
>>> come to appreciate as you dig deeper into VB Scripting.
>>>
>>> What is strange about downloading the tutor/intro file? Which file is
>>> it, in fact? Did you download the standard help file script56.chm from
>>> the Micorosoft site?
I think I missed this question above. I'm referring to an earlier one by
"Crash".
Useful link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx

Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en

I think the last one is the troublesome one.
>> From above, "I went to the other link, doc website, and downloaded the
>> script56 chm file. When I opened it, a dialog came up that looked like
>> a Help dialog. In the large window on the right, it says navigation to
>> the web canceled. I'm using FFox. Is it supposed to open web pages. ".
>
> Have a look here - "Ways of getting rid of the warning when opening a
> file":
> http://smallvoid.com/article/ie-attachment-manager.html
> Right-click the blocked file, and select Properties, and on the
> General-tab click Unblock.
>
>> Shortcut? Is this the same as "Open with" right-click?
>> I don't use Explorer.
>> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I
>> couldn't download?

> What .exe file?
Someone above mentioned two exe files. wscript.exe was one I think. Ah,
cscript.
The smallvoid link seems to apply to XP. I'm using Win 7.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/11/2010 2:21:18 PM
> I think I missed this question above. I'm referring to an earlier one by
> "Crash".
> Useful link:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/default.aspx
>
> Absolutely, positively must-have download (watch wrap):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592c48-207d-4be1-8a76-1c4099d7bbb9&DisplayLang=en

Yes, Script56.chm is the helpfile I also mentioned.

>>> Where do I find the exe file? Maybe that's part of the guide, I
>>> couldn't download?
>

>> What .exe file?
> Someone above mentioned two exe files. wscript.exe was one I think. Ah,
> cscript.
> The smallvoid link seems to apply to XP. I'm using Win 7.

I mentioned cscript.exe and wscript.exe. Both exist in the System32 folder.
They do not need to be downloaded or installed or anything - they just work.

0
Pegasus
8/11/2010 5:26:48 PM

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
> mbyerley wrote:
>> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Another thing you can do is right click on a .vbs file, select
>>> "Properties," and see what is specified to open the file.
>>
>>  Dave,
>>  He is using notepad and when he saves, he is not selecting "All
>> Files(*.*)", so notepad appends a .TXT on the end of the filename, so
>> when he clicks on it it keeps opening notepad.
>>
>> Thats why I hate "hide extensions of known filetypes" as the default
>> setting for file viewing.
>
> Notepad should not append .TXT to known file types like .VBS when
> specified.

I suspect the OP created a text document "new file" and then renamed it as
"test script.vbs". With know filetype extensions hidden, the file looks like
it is named "test script.vbs" when it is actually named "test
script.vbs.txt".

> However, you can always force any file name by enclosing it in double
> quotes.
>
> "testscript.vbs"

True, but for the times one forgets, I think it is more helpful to disable
the filetype hiding feature.

/Al

0
Al
8/12/2010 10:24:42 PM
Al Dunbar wrote:
> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>> mbyerley wrote:
>>>
>>>  Dave,
>>>  He is using notepad and when he saves, he is not selecting "All
>>> Files(*.*)", so notepad appends a .TXT on the end of the filename, so
>>> when he clicks on it it keeps opening notepad.
>>>
>>> Thats why I hate "hide extensions of known filetypes" as the default
>>> setting for file viewing.
>>
>> Notepad should not append .TXT to known file types like .VBS when
>> specified.
>
> I suspect the OP created a text document "new file" and then renamed it as
> "test script.vbs". With know filetype extensions hidden, the file looks
> like it is named "test script.vbs" when it is actually named "test
> script.vbs.txt".
>
>> However, you can always force any file name by enclosing it in double
>> quotes.
>>
>> "testscript.vbs"
>
> True, but for the times one forgets, I think it is more helpful to disable
> the filetype hiding feature.

I suspect you missed OP's post that said, "Selecting Properties worked. A
choice for MS script came up, and
selecting it produce a small window with "Hello World" in it." AFAIK, WSH
will not run a file with a .txt extension without some registry tweaking (at
least in Win9x and XP).

I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do on
any machine I have control.

--
Todd Vargo

(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

0
Todd
8/13/2010 12:00:09 AM
"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message

-snip-

> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
> on any machine I have control.

I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my liking,
with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars, status bar &
explorer bar, folder view, etc.  There are IE internet options that would
also like to configure through VBScript.

Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
manually?

-Paul Randall

0
Paul
8/14/2010 8:03:53 PM
On 2010-08-10 13:13, wolf_tracks@invalid.com wrote:
> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script of
> a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the file.
> Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on? Maybe
> something that simply prints some text or prints the results of a simple
> calculation. I'm using Win 7.

I'm using SciTE. It's free and does what I want in VBScript, javascript
and c++.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Open it, type this in, save it as a VBScript file (blah.vbs) and hit F5
to run it:
WScript.Echo "Hello World"

Maybe you'll need to make sure CScript is the one parsing it so you
don't get those annoying WScript popups.

I'm using the "lite" (A single file executable called Sc1) version of
SciTE. I have configured it to use my fav font: Consolas, and I have
tweaked some of the syntax highlighting colors. Other than that it is stock.
0
Hz
8/14/2010 9:06:52 PM
"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote:

> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>
> -snip-
>
>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>> on any machine I have control.
>
> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my liking,
> with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars, status bar &
> explorer bar, folder view, etc.  There are IE internet options that would
> also like to configure through VBScript.
>
> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
> manually?

Always via unattended setup, scripted with *.INF (the NATIVE method
for ANY setup on Windows since 15 years now).

Stefan

0
Stefan
8/14/2010 9:27:04 PM
"Stefan Kanthak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>>> on any machine I have control.
>>
>> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my
>> liking,
>> with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars, status
>> bar &
>> explorer bar, folder view, etc.  There are IE internet options that would
>> also like to configure through VBScript.
>>
>> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
>> manually?
>
> Always via unattended setup, scripted with *.INF (the NATIVE method
> for ANY setup on Windows since 15 years now).

Thanks for the advice, Stefan

I'm looking for a way to do this on computers that come with the OS
preinstalled which typically having an unattended way to restore the system
to 'out of the box' condition, such as a restore partition or DVD or with a
user-created Ghost image made prior to the computer's first boot up.  It is
this restored and booted system that I want to customize to my liking.

I've played with that 'out of the box' image for some 2005-era Compaq
laptops with WXP-Home.  HP/Compaq includes a huge number of Python scripts
which I assume are used to set things up during the first boot, but I think
it would be easier for me to learn how to make the registry changes needed
for my customized system than to learn how to change the first-boot process.

-Paul Randall

0
Paul
8/15/2010 1:19:44 AM
OK,I've been gone for 3 days, and apparently gotten over the "local
disk" problem. I have Help file download with Help open. If I print all
of VBScript, how many pages am I going to get? 400? 20?  Yikes, I see
navigation to web site was canceled.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/15/2010 4:49:34 AM

> OK,I've been gone for 3 days, and apparently gotten over the "local disk"
> problem. I have Help file download with Help open. If I print all of
> VBScript, how many pages am I going to get? 400? 20?  Yikes, I see
> navigation to web site was canceled.

You don't print out anything. Just the the help file as it is intended: As
an on-scrreen look-up tool.

0
Pegasus
8/15/2010 6:08:03 AM

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> OK,I've been gone for 3 days, and apparently gotten over the "local disk"
>> problem. I have Help file download with Help open. If I print all of
>> VBScript, how many pages am I going to get? 400? 20?  Yikes, I see
>> navigation to web site was canceled.
>
> You don't print out anything. Just the the help file as it is intended: As
> an on-scrreen look-up tool.

Some people learn more easily from the printed word. If that is the case for
the OP, I would recommend he purchase a book rather than try to print out
any material designed for on-line access. Wrox Press carries a few that make
reasonably good references. Assuming these are still in print...

/Al

0
Al
8/15/2010 3:40:07 PM
"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote:

> "Stefan Kanthak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

>> Always via unattended setup, scripted with *.INF (the NATIVE method
>> for ANY setup on Windows since 15 years now).
>
> Thanks for the advice, Stefan
>
> I'm looking for a way to do this on computers that come with the OS
> preinstalled which typically having an unattended way to restore the system
> to 'out of the box' condition, such as a restore partition or DVD or with a
> user-created Ghost image made prior to the computer's first boot up.  It is
> this restored and booted system that I want to customize to my liking.

These OEM Preinstallations are almost always spoiled with unwanted and
superfluous (trial) software, often carry remainders from previous
(un)installations, or show even signs of multiple attempts of a factory
setup and customization.

The best thing to do with such an installation: trash it after inspection.
Carefully look for a \i386\UNATTEND.TEXT or \i386\WINNT.SIF (their contents
are copied to C:\Windows\$winnt$.inf) during setup, or a \SYSPREP\ folder.

The \SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB on any of your Windows 2000/XP/2003 setup
media contains two *.CHM which describe these files.

The current DEPLOY.CAB is also available here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=673a1019-8e3e-4be0-ac31-70dd21b5afa7>

You can use the \i386 found on the harddisk to (re)build your own setup
media (in case you have none) or a so called "distribution share" (to
be used with RIS): integrate the current service pack and all the hotfixes
into the media (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755981.aspx),
the necessary device drivers too, and use the \i386\WINNT.SIF to run your
own scripts during setup.

This will give you a CLEAN setup to start with.

> I've played with that 'out of the box' image for some 2005-era Compaq
> laptops with WXP-Home.  HP/Compaq includes a huge number of Python scripts
> which I assume are used to set things up during the first boot, but I think
> it would be easier for me to learn how to make the registry changes needed
> for my customized system than to learn how to change the first-boot process.

OEMs almost always use SYSPREP(.INF) and/or OOBE(.INI) as starting point.
See the above mentioned *.CHMs.

Stefan

0
Stefan
8/15/2010 5:26:47 PM
On 8/15/2010 8:40 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> OK,I've been gone for 3 days, and apparently gotten over the "local
>>> disk" problem. I have Help file download with Help open. If I print
>>> all of VBScript, how many pages am I going to get? 400? 20? Yikes, I
>>> see navigation to web site was canceled.
>>
>> You don't print out anything. Just the the help file as it is
>> intended: As an on-scrreen look-up tool.
>
> Some people learn more easily from the printed word. If that is the case
> for the OP, I would recommend he purchase a book rather than try to
> print out any material designed for on-line access. Wrox Press carries a
> few that make reasonably good references. Assuming these are still in
> print...
>

> /Al

Odd though that it has a Print menu. Yes,I just discovered Wrox and
bought a used VBS book harking back to 1999. I doubt much has changed.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/16/2010 3:33:47 AM

> On 8/15/2010 8:40 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:
>>

>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You don't print out anything. Just the the help file as it is
>>> intended: As an on-scrreen look-up tool.
>>
>> Some people learn more easily from the printed word. If that is the case
>> for the OP, I would recommend he purchase a book rather than try to
>> print out any material designed for on-line access. Wrox Press carries a
>> few that make reasonably good references. Assuming these are still in
>> print...
>>

>> /Al
>>

> Odd though that it has a Print menu. Yes,I just discovered Wrox and bought
> a used VBS book harking back to 1999. I doubt much has changed.

Nothing substantive has changed in VBScript, including some of the known
bugs. WSH, on the other hand, has gone through a couple of minor version
changes since then. Most of these were associated with the introduction of
new versions of Windows.

/Al

0
Al
8/16/2010 6:37:49 PM
Paul Randall wrote:
> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>
> -snip-
>
>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>> on any machine I have control.
>
> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my
> liking, with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars,
> status bar & explorer bar, folder view, etc.  There are IE internet
> options that would also like to configure through VBScript.
>
> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
> manually?

Manually since I typically do not expect the encounter in advance, and I do
not want to wait until some later time/date when I will have a flash drive
handy. I like to dive right in.

Also, I used to export certain registry keys to import into future
installations, but discontinued that practice since I have discontinued use
of and/or replaced various utilities that those keys would point to over the
years. IE has evolved many things over the years that there is really
nothing one can consider standard between IE versions or even OS versions,
but if you wanted to copy features of one system to another of the same
type, it should be fairly simple to export/import through regedit.

--
Todd Vargo

(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

0
Todd
8/16/2010 11:25:23 PM
> "Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Stefan Kanthak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>
>>> Always via unattended setup, scripted with *.INF (the NATIVE method
>>> for ANY setup on Windows since 15 years now).
>>
>> Thanks for the advice, Stefan
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to do this on computers that come with the OS
>> preinstalled which typically having an unattended way to restore the
>> system
>> to 'out of the box' condition, such as a restore partition or DVD or with
>> user-created Ghost image made prior to the computer's first boot up.  It
>> is
>> this restored and booted system that I want to customize to my liking.
>
> These OEM Preinstallations are almost always spoiled with unwanted and
> superfluous (trial) software, often carry remainders from previous
> (un)installations, or show even signs of multiple attempts of a factory
> setup and customization.
>
> The best thing to do with such an installation: trash it after inspection.
> Carefully look for a \i386\UNATTEND.TEXT or \i386\WINNT.SIF (their
> contents
> are copied to C:\Windows\$winnt$.inf) during setup, or a \SYSPREP\ folder.
>
> The \SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB on any of your Windows 2000/XP/2003 setup
> media contains two *.CHM which describe these files.
>
> The current DEPLOY.CAB is also available here:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=673a1019-8e3e-4be0-ac31-70dd21b5afa7>
>
> You can use the \i386 found on the harddisk to (re)build your own setup
> media (in case you have none) or a so called "distribution share" (to
> be used with RIS): integrate the current service pack and all the hotfixes
> into the media (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755981.aspx),
> the necessary device drivers too, and use the \i386\WINNT.SIF to run your
> own scripts during setup.
>
> This will give you a CLEAN setup to start with.
>
>> I've played with that 'out of the box' image for some 2005-era Compaq
>> laptops with WXP-Home.  HP/Compaq includes a huge number of Python
>> scripts
>> which I assume are used to set things up during the first boot, but I
>> think
>> it would be easier for me to learn how to make the registry changes
>> needed
>> for my customized system than to learn how to change the first-boot
>> process.
>
> OEMs almost always use SYSPREP(.INF) and/or OOBE(.INI) as starting point.
> See the above mentioned *.CHMs.

Thanks for the detailed explaination.  I will try it when I get some free
time next month.  I had planned on asking for help in the WXP newsgroup with
modifying theOEM's setup mechanism to avoid the 'crapware' installation and
have a fairly clean system.

-Paul Randall

0
Paul
8/17/2010 12:38:09 AM
> Paul Randall wrote:
>> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>>> on any machine I have control.
>>
>> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my
>> liking, with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars,
>> status bar & explorer bar, folder view, etc.  There are IE internet
>> options that would also like to configure through VBScript.
>>
>> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
>> manually?
>
> Manually since I typically do not expect the encounter in advance, and I
> do not want to wait until some later time/date when I will have a flash
> drive handy. I like to dive right in.
>
> Also, I used to export certain registry keys to import into future
> installations, but discontinued that practice since I have discontinued
> use of and/or replaced various utilities that those keys would point to
> over the years. IE has evolved many things over the years that there is
> really nothing one can consider standard between IE versions or even OS
> versions, but if you wanted to copy features of one system to another of
> the same type, it should be fairly simple to export/import through
> regedit.

Thanks for letting me know your reasons for doing it manually.  I've been
using IE6 since I got my first WXP system, but I think I will soon be forced
to modernize.

-Paul Randall

0
Paul
8/17/2010 12:51:04 AM

"Al Dunbar" <alandrub@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On 8/15/2010 8:40 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:
>>>

>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Some people learn more easily from the printed word. If that is the case
>>> for the OP, I would recommend he purchase a book rather than try to
>>> print out any material designed for on-line access. Wrox Press carries a
>>> few that make reasonably good references. Assuming these are still in
>>> print...
>>>

>>> /Al
>>>

>> Odd though that it has a Print menu. Yes,I just discovered Wrox and
>> bought a used VBS book harking back to 1999. I doubt much has changed.
>
> Nothing substantive has changed in VBScript, including some of the known
> bugs. WSH, on the other hand, has gone through a couple of minor version
> changes since then. Most of these were associated with the introduction of
> new versions of Windows.

Oops, forgot to mention: it's not the help file that has the print menu, but
the help application. But even if it did, I suspect that the expectation
would be for the odd person print out a page or two for reference, not the
entire thing as a book. Since its structure is hyperlinked, there doesn't
seem to be a simple way to organize it into a complete reference without
doing a lot of work. Better to do the work to look things up as needed, and
use the VBS

0
Al
8/17/2010 4:46:52 PM
On 8/17/2010 9:46 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:

> "Al Dunbar" <alandrub@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Odd though that it has a Print menu. Yes,I just discovered Wrox and
>>> bought a used VBS book harking back to 1999. I doubt much has changed.
>>
>> Nothing substantive has changed in VBScript, including some of the
>> known bugs. WSH, on the other hand, has gone through a couple of minor
>> version changes since then. Most of these were associated with the
>> introduction of new versions of Windows.
>
> Oops, forgot to mention: it's not the help file that has the print menu,
> but the help application. But even if it did, I suspect that the
> expectation would be for the odd person print out a page or two for
> reference, not the entire thing as a book. Since its structure is
> hyperlinked, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to organize it into a
> complete reference without doing a lot of work. Better to do the work to
> look things up as needed, and use the VBS

Got side tracked with interesting results. I did buy a used VBS book,
circa 1999. It appears VBS is really for web apps. I couldn't really
find out one creates a file like abc.vbs that has pure VBS code in it
w/o html. Above somewhere, someone brought wscript.exe (and another exe)
to my attention. I'll look again at was said, but I think to execute a
abc.vbs file, I'd have to get into command code enter wscript.exe abc.vbs.

If it turns out I can execute a abc.vbs file, then my next question is
can I execute it from JavaScript.

As it turns out, using vbs is the wrong way for me to go, but I'm still
curious. The right way is Visual Basic. By almost luck, when a friend
moved, he gave me two VB 5 books, and the compiler (Interpreter?)

Why VB. I'm using a scientific app that allows one to extend facilities
of the app by executing vbs files from it (I guess that answers my exe
question from above.) The user invokes a RunVBScript command. The app
has about 20 commands, and they are all there to provide some modicum of
ability to run other apps that control h/w.  As it turns out, that app
is pretty limited, and one can write stand-alone VG programs with a
solid GUI i/f (allows pushbuttons, scrolls, text entry, etc., that will
i/f with the other program the app works with. No need to even run the
app. Just use VB.

Still curious about VBS. My guess is that it is nowhere as powerful  as
using VB, but isn't really used for of with html.

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/21/2010 3:40:50 AM

> On 8/17/2010 9:46 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:
>>

>> "Al Dunbar" <alandrub@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Nothing substantive has changed in VBScript, including some of the
>>> known bugs. WSH, on the other hand, has gone through a couple of minor
>>> version changes since then. Most of these were associated with the
>>> introduction of new versions of Windows.
>>
>> Oops, forgot to mention: it's not the help file that has the print menu,
>> but the help application. But even if it did, I suspect that the
>> expectation would be for the odd person print out a page or two for
>> reference, not the entire thing as a book. Since its structure is
>> hyperlinked, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to organize it into a
>> complete reference without doing a lot of work. Better to do the work to
>> look things up as needed, and use the VBS
>
> Got side tracked with interesting results. I did buy a used VBS book,
> circa 1999. It appears VBS is really for web apps.

No, that is only one of its uses.

>    I couldn't really find out one creates a file like abc.vbs that has
> pure VBS code in it w/o html.

Easy. But you can put ONLY pure VBS code in a .vbs file not HTML:

1. create a file called HW.vbs
2. insert eh following pure VBS code in it:
    msgbox "hello world"
3. double-click the file in windows explorer.

>    Above somewhere, someone brought wscript.exe (and another exe)

wscript.exe and cscript.exe are both standard components in windows. They
implement WSH (Windows Script Host), which can execute "pure" vbscript code
in a .vbs file, "pure" jscript code in a .js file, or WSH scripts in .wsf
files (which contain vbscript and/or jscript code along with WSH-specific
XML code.

> to my attention. I'll look again at was said, but I think to execute a
> abc.vbs file, I'd have to get into command code enter wscript.exe abc.vbs.

No. You can double-click a .vbs file, or execute it either directly, or
indirectly by running cscript or wscript from any executable or script
capable of running a program, and passing the name of the .vbs file as a
parameter.

> If it turns out I can execute a abc.vbs file, then my next question is can
> I execute it from JavaScript.

How are you running your JavaScript? If you are running it embedded in a web
page, you will face the same security restrictions as when you try to run an
executable.

> As it turns out, using vbs is the wrong way for me to go, but I'm still
> curious. The right way is Visual Basic. By almost luck, when a friend
> moved, he gave me two VB 5 books, and the compiler (Interpreter?)

VB may or may not be your best option, but version 5?

> Why VB. I'm using a scientific app that allows one to extend facilities of
> the app by executing vbs files from it (I guess that answers my exe
> question from above.) The user invokes a RunVBScript command. The app has
> about 20 commands, and they are all there to provide some modicum of
> ability to run other apps that control h/w.  As it turns out, that app is
> pretty limited, and one can write stand-alone VG programs with a solid GUI
> i/f (allows pushbuttons, scrolls, text entry, etc., that will i/f with the
> other program the app works with. No need to even run the app. Just use
> VB.
>
> Still curious about VBS. My guess is that it is nowhere as powerful  as
> using VB, but isn't really used for of with html.

VBScript is a scripting language, VB is a programming language. If by
"power" you mean number crunching capability, you are correct. But there are
some applications (other than those embedded in html) for which it is a
better choice than VB. For one thing, it is generally available on all
current versions of windows.

/Al

0
Al
8/21/2010 5:13:57 AM
On 8/20/2010 10:13 PM, Al Dunbar wrote:

> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On 8/17/2010 9:46 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:
>>>

>>> "Al Dunbar" <alandrub@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Oops, forgot to mention: it's not the help file that has the print menu,
>>> but the help application. But even if it did, I suspect that the
>>> expectation would be for the odd person print out a page or two for
>>> reference, not the entire thing as a book. Since its structure is
>>> hyperlinked, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to organize it into a
>>> complete reference without doing a lot of work. Better to do the work to
>>> look things up as needed, and use the VBS
>>
>> Got side tracked with interesting results. I did buy a used VBS book,
>> circa 1999. It appears VBS is really for web apps.
>
> No, that is only one of its uses.
Yes, as I mentioned below about the app executing the command RunVBScript.

>> I couldn't really find out one creates a file like abc.vbs that has
>> pure VBS code in it w/o html.
>
> Easy. But you can put ONLY pure VBS code in a .vbs file not HTML:
>
> 1. create a file called HW.vbs
> 2. insert the following pure VBS code in it:
> msgbox "hello world"
> 3. double-click the file in windows explorer.

I tried that in some other fashion, probably through RunVBScript, and it
worked.
>> Above somewhere, someone brought wscript.exe (and another exe)
>
> wscript.exe and cscript.exe are both standard components in windows.
> They implement WSH (Windows Script Host), which can execute "pure"
wscript is for WHS? csript is for ?
> vbscript code in a .vbs file, "pure" jscript code in a .js file, or WSH
> scripts in .wsf files (which contain vbscript and/or jscript code along
> with WSH-specific XML code.
Isn't there a JavaScript and a jscript. Jscript a MS version of JavaScript?

>> to my attention. I'll look again at was said, but I think to execute a
>> abc.vbs file, I'd have to get into command code enter wscript.exe
>> abc.vbs.
>
> No. You can double-click a .vbs file, or execute it either directly, or
> indirectly by running cscript or wscript from any executable or script
> capable of running a program, and passing the name of the .vbs file as a
> parameter.
Yep, my helloword.vbs works double-click too.

>> If it turns out I can execute a abc.vbs file, then my next question is
>> can I execute it from JavaScript.
>
> How are you running your JavaScript? If you are running it embedded in a
> web page, you will face the same security restrictions as when you try
> to run an executable.
>
>> As it turns out, using vbs is the wrong way for me to go, but I'm
>> still curious. The right way is Visual Basic. By almost luck, when a
>> friend moved, he gave me two VB 5 books, and the compiler (Interpreter?)
>
> VB may or may not be your best option, but version 5?
Fine by me. I'm very sure it will for the app need mentioned below.

>> Why VB. I'm using a scientific app that allows one to extend
>> facilities of the app by executing vbs files from it (I guess that
>> answers my exe question from above.) The user invokes a RunVBScript
>> command. The app has about 20 commands, and they are all there to
>> provide some modicum of ability to run other apps that control h/w. As
>> it turns out, that app is pretty limited, and one can write
>> stand-alone VG programs with a solid GUI i/f (allows pushbuttons,
>> scrolls, text entry, etc., that will i/f with the other program the
>> app works with. No need to even run the app. Just use VB.
>>
>> Still curious about VBS. My guess is that it is nowhere as powerful as
>> using VB, but isn't really used for of with html.
>
> VBScript is a scripting language, VB is a programming language. If by
scripting vs language. Viva la difference? Interpreter vs compiler?
> "power" you mean number crunching capability, you are correct. But there
> are some applications (other than those embedded in html) for which it
> is a better choice than VB. For one thing, it is generally available on
> all current versions of windows.
>
> /Al

               Obz Site:  39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

            Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
            over a lifetime:
               Nuclear power      -- 2 pounds in a coke can
               Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

                 -- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

0
wolf_tracks
8/21/2010 5:48:36 PM

> On 8/20/2010 10:13 PM, Al Dunbar wrote:
>>

>> <wolf_tracks@invalid.com> wrote in message

<snip>

>>> Above somewhere, someone brought wscript.exe (and another exe)
>>
>> wscript.exe and cscript.exe are both standard components in windows.
>> They implement WSH (Windows Script Host), which can execute "pure"
> wscript is for WHS? csript is for ?
>> vbscript code in a .vbs file, "pure" jscript code in a .js file, or WSH
>> scripts in .wsf files (which contain vbscript and/or jscript code along
>> with WSH-specific XML code.

> Isn't there a JavaScript and a jscript. Jscript a MS version of
> JavaScript?

Yes, JScript is very much like a version of JavaScript. I have precious
little experience with JScript and absolutely none with JavaScript, so
ignore anything else I might say about them ;-)

>>> Why VB. I'm using a scientific app that allows one to extend
>>> facilities of the app by executing vbs files from it (I guess that
>>> answers my exe question from above.) The user invokes a RunVBScript
>>> command. The app has about 20 commands, and they are all there to
>>> provide some modicum of ability to run other apps that control h/w. As
>>> it turns out, that app is pretty limited, and one can write
>>> stand-alone VG programs with a solid GUI i/f (allows pushbuttons,
>>> scrolls, text entry, etc., that will i/f with the other program the
>>> app works with. No need to even run the app. Just use VB.
>>>
>>> Still curious about VBS. My guess is that it is nowhere as powerful as
>>> using VB, but isn't really used for of with html.
>>
>> VBScript is a scripting language, VB is a programming language. If by

> scripting vs language. Viva la difference? Interpreter vs compiler?

Sort of. Ask ten experts and you will get ten answers. All different. And
they will nitpick each other's opinions.

/Al

0
Al
8/25/2010 12:30:56 AM
Al Dunbar wrote on 25 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

>> Isn't there a JavaScript and a jscript. Jscript a MS version of
>> JavaScript?

> Yes, JScript is very much like a version of JavaScript.

No, it just IS a version of Javascript.

The "sort of official" name of Jacascript being ECMA-script.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

"Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net> wrote in message
> Al Dunbar wrote on 25 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>
>>> Isn't there a JavaScript and a jscript. Jscript a MS version of
>>> JavaScript?
>
>> Yes, JScript is very much like a version of JavaScript.
>
> No, it just IS a version of Javascript.
>
> The "sort of official" name of Jacascript being ECMA-script.

What you say is very much like the truth. ;-)

/Al

0
Al
8/26/2010 12:07:51 AM
Al Dunbar wrote on 26 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

> "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net> wrote in message

>>> Yes, JScript is very much like a version of JavaScript.
>>
>> No, it just IS a version of Javascript.
>>
>> The "sort of official" name of Jacascript being ECMA-script.

Sort of Jaca?

> What you say is very much like the truth. ;-)

The result at least should be true:

<script type='text/javascript'>
    var result = true != false;
</script>

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> Al Dunbar wrote on 26 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>
>> "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net> wrote in message

>>> No, it just IS a version of Javascript.
>>>
>>> The "sort of official" name of Jacascript being ECMA-script.
>
> Sort of Jaca?

So Jacascript actually has EJMA-script as its official name? ;-)

>> What you say is very much like the truth. ;-)
>
> The result at least should be true:
>
> <script type='text/javascript'>
>    var result = true != false;
> </script>

I find this a bit more intuitive:

 <script type='text/vbscript'>
    result = not ( true = false )
 </script>

But did you get the gist of my "very much like" comment? A person named Jane
looks very much like my wife. The fact that she also *is* my wife does not
negate that first statement. She certainly does not look unlike my wife as a
result of being my wife.

/Al

0
Al
8/27/2010 1:30:42 AM
Al Dunbar wrote on 27 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

> I find this a bit more intuitive:

> <script type='text/vbscript'>
>     result = not ( true = false )
>  </script>

I prefer the ideas of Edsger Dijkstra [1930-2002] about Basic.
Felt intuitivity leads to sloppy programming.
There is beauty in Javascript that fails in VBS.

Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:

if a = b then c = d end if

> But did you get the gist of my "very much like" comment? A person
> named Jane looks very much like my wife. The fact that she also *is*
> my wife does not negate that first statement. She certainly does not
> look unlike my wife as a result of being my wife.

"I just saw a son of my parents, who is not my brother."

A statement that validates only for much less than 50% of humanity.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

| I prefer the ideas of Edsger Dijkstra [1930-2002] about Basic.
| Felt intuitivity leads to sloppy programming.
| There is beauty in Javascript that fails in VBS.
|
| Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
|
| if a = b then c = d end if

   I don't see the problem with that. If it's sunny
then we're going to the beach. I don't find that I
get confused re-reading my code, thinking that the
beach turned into the sun.

   I find that arrogance
about one's chosen language tends to be in relation
to the terseness of it. C++ people are stuck with
annoying semi-colons, but that doesn't stop a lot
of them from holding forth about their "superior"
language. And many Perl users seem to think they're
the Chosen People. But "We're number 1!" is simply
childish, no matter what the topic.

PS - Al, I'd suggest that you don't take up this
issue with your wife. She may not appreciate that
you're thinking about women who look like her --
even if they are her.  :)

0
Mayayana
8/27/2010 1:14:43 PM
| Got side tracked with interesting results. I did buy a used VBS book,
| circa 1999. It appears VBS is really for web apps.

 It started out as a web scripting language to compete
with Netscape. Many people assumed Netscape would
then incorporate VBScript. It never did. Likewise with
ActiveX. By 1998 people were asking for a GUI scripting
tool to replace the outdated DOS command line. MS used
VBS in that, creating the WSH. By adding "CreateObject"
they extended VBS to handle COM libraries. There's a great
deal that VBS can do, but very little it can do by itself.
It's strength is that it can use nearly any COM library
with a Dispatch interface. ("late binding")

  Today VBS is for use with WSH, in ASP, and in HTAs.
(Scripted GUI programs that run in IE, using the DOM
to provide functionality.) You can use it online, but only
for IE.

   I use VBScript on my own website. In general I try to
avoid any script because it's unsafe and I don't enable it
in the browser myself. But IE is way behind in support
for CSS, and I want to do things (like "flyout menus")
that won't work in at least some versions of IE. So I use
PHP to load one version of each webpage for IE and
another, script-free version of the page for all other browsers.
Since the IE page goes only to IE I can use VBS for the
script.

| Still curious about VBS. My guess is that it is nowhere as powerful  as
| using VB, but isn't really used for of with html.

  VBS is a script, subset version of VB. The language is
very similar. At it's simplest, VB is designed so
that beginners can essentially write script, using
only variant data types and ActiveX Controls, with
garbage collection. But that's just the training
wheels. VB is normally used with strong data typing,
uses the Win32 API, and one can dispense with
the ActiveX .ocx file wrappers. In that usage VB
is comparable to C++, producing native code
executables. (But the methodology is different from
C++, since VB is designed to be safer, with garbage
collection, simplified string operations, and less direct
access to memory addresses.)

That all needs to be differentiated from VB.Net, which
is often referred to as "VB" these days. VB5 and 6 are
VB. They're very similar, with VB6 being a minor update.
Starting with VB.Net (sometimes misleading called "VB7")
Microsoft dropped support for VB while adding a VB-like
language to the .Net system, which is essentially a Java
clone running JIT-compiled code on top of a VM.

   Note that if you use VB, VB5/6 are supported from
Win95 through Win7, but I don't think the runtime for VB5
is pre-installed on Vista/7. You'd need to install that on
target machines. If you use VB6 it's essentially dependency
free on 2000/ME/XP/Vista/7. (The runtimes can be installed
on earlier Windows versions.)

0
Mayayana
8/27/2010 1:14:43 PM
| Got side tracked with interesting results. I did buy a used VBS book,
| circa 1999. It appears VBS is really for web apps.

 It started out as a web scripting language to compete
with Netscape. Many people assumed Netscape would
then incorporate VBScript. It never did. Likewise with
ActiveX. By 1998 people were asking for a GUI scripting
tool to replace the outdated DOS command line. MS used
VBS in that, creating the WSH. By adding "CreateObject"
they extended VBS to handle COM libraries. There's a great
deal that VBS can do, but very little it can do by itself.
It's strength is that it can use nearly any COM library
with a Dispatch interface. ("late binding")

  Today VBS is for use with WSH, in ASP, and in HTAs.
(Scripted GUI programs that run in IE, using the DOM
to provide functionality.) You can use it online, but only
for IE.

   I use VBScript on my own website. In general I try to
avoid any script because it's unsafe and I don't enable it
in the browser myself. But IE is way behind in support
for CSS, and I want to do things (like "flyout menus")
that won't work in at least some versions of IE. So I use
PHP to load one version of each webpage for IE and
another, script-free version of the page for all other browsers.
Since the IE page goes only to IE I can use VBS for the
script.

| Still curious about VBS. My guess is that it is nowhere as powerful  as
| using VB, but isn't really used for of with html.

  VBS is a script, subset version of VB. The language is
very similar. At it's simplest, VB is designed so
that beginners can essentially write script, using
only variant data types and ActiveX Controls, with
garbage collection. But that's just the training
wheels. VB is normally used with strong data typing,
uses the Win32 API, and one can dispense with
the ActiveX .ocx file wrappers. In that usage VB
is comparable to C++, producing native code
executables. (But the methodology is different from
C++, since VB is designed to be safer, with garbage
collection, simplified string operations, and less direct
access to memory addresses.)

That all needs to be differentiated from VB.Net, which
is often referred to as "VB" these days. VB5 and 6 are
VB. They're very similar, with VB6 being a minor update.
Starting with VB.Net (sometimes misleading called "VB7")
Microsoft dropped support for VB while adding a VB-like
language to the .Net system, which is essentially a Java
clone running JIT-compiled code on top of a VM.

   Note that if you use VB, VB5/6 are supported from
Win95 through Win7, but I don't think the runtime for VB5
is pre-installed on Vista/7. You'd need to install that on
target machines. If you use VB6 it's essentially dependency
free on 2000/ME/XP/Vista/7. (The runtimes can be installed
on earlier Windows versions.)

0
Mayayana
8/27/2010 1:17:35 PM

| I prefer the ideas of Edsger Dijkstra [1930-2002] about Basic.
| Felt intuitivity leads to sloppy programming.
| There is beauty in Javascript that fails in VBS.
|
| Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
|
| if a = b then c = d end if

   I don't see the problem with that. If it's sunny
then we're going to the beach. I don't find that I
get confused re-reading my code, thinking that the
beach turned into the sun.

   I find that arrogance
about one's chosen language tends to be in relation
to the terseness of it. C++ people are stuck with
annoying semi-colons, but that doesn't stop a lot
of them from holding forth about their "superior"
language. And many Perl users seem to think they're
the Chosen People. But "We're number 1!" is simply
childish, no matter what the topic.

PS - Al, I'd suggest that you don't take up this
issue with your wife. She may not appreciate that
you're thinking about women who look like her --
even if they are her.  :)

0
Mayayana
8/27/2010 1:18:38 PM
Mayayana wrote on 27 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

>| I prefer the ideas of Edsger Dijkstra [1930-2002] about Basic.
>| Felt intuitivity leads to sloppy programming.
>| There is beauty in Javascript that fails in VBS.
>|
>| Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
>|
>| if a = b then c = d end if
>|

>    I don't see the problem with that.

Then you are not a Basic native speaker.

there are two forms of If-then:

==============
if a then b
==============

and the young William Gates invention:

==============
if a then
end if
==============

so the below is an error and should flagged down as an error:

==============
if a then b end if
==============

end it is flagged down in many Basics but not in in MS-VBS.

> If it's sunny
> then we're going to the beach. I don't find that I
> get confused re-reading my code, thinking that the
> beach turned into the sun.

Why should you be. It can be sunny on the beach and minus 40,
immaterial if in degrees Celcius or Farenheit.

>    I find that arrogance

Wow, we are talking VBS here,
arrogance is off topic.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> Al Dunbar wrote on 27 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>
>> I find this a bit more intuitive:
>
>> <script type='text/vbscript'>
>>     result = not ( true = false )
>>  </script>
>
> I prefer the ideas of Edsger Dijkstra [1930-2002] about Basic.
> Felt intuitivity leads to sloppy programming.

Perhaps. When did he actually say that? And did he ever have a chance to
comment on 21st century platforms?

In reality, I agree with him. I have seen a lot of sloppy VBS code (some my
own). But a corollary might be that a language that is so rigid in its
syntax rules might hamper ingenuity in some.

Yes, there are aspects of vbscript syntax that could result in sloppy
coding. But for this very reason, many serious scripters develop discipline
strategies to ward that off.

> There is beauty in Javascript that fails in VBS.

Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder, though. I don't find
Javascript code particularly esthetic, likely because I find it more
difficult to follow than vbscript. Admitedly, that is because I use vbscript
and not Javascript.

For relative comparisons, I will have to defer to those equally conversant
in, and happy with, both languages. Know anyone in that category?

> Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
>
> if a = b then c = d end if

Well, what vbscript allows is a moot point, as those (apparent) weaknesses
will never be addressed (along with the known bugs). A good thing too, as
that would probably break a lot of code.

/Al

0
Al
8/28/2010 1:51:00 AM

"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message

<snip>

>   I find that arrogance
> about one's chosen language tends to be in relation
> to the terseness of it.

Interesting observation. I prefer this one: language arrogance is not
healthy regardless of the chosen language. These are tools, guys, let's not
get our shorts tied in knots arguing the number of angels on the head of a
pin!

>    C++ people are stuck with
> annoying semi-colons, but that doesn't stop a lot
> of them from holding forth about their "superior"
> language.

True. But those who actually like the semi-colons do not agree that they are
stuck with them. They are probably happy not to have too many colons,
otherwise they will be forced to cleanse.

>    And many Perl users seem to think they're
> the Chosen People. But "We're number 1!" is simply
> childish, no matter what the topic.

LOL. Do you know *any* language that has no zealots??

> PS - Al, I'd suggest that you don't take up this
> issue with your wife. She may not appreciate that
> you're thinking about women who look like her --
> even if they are her.  :)

Hmm, for a computer geek, you seem to have some fairly sophisticated views
about relations between the sexes. I'll keep your advice in mind.

/Al

0
Al
8/28/2010 1:56:20 AM
Al Dunbar wrote:

> "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>>   I find that arrogance
>> about one's chosen language tends to be in relation
>> to the terseness of it.
>
> Interesting observation. I prefer this one: language arrogance is not
> healthy regardless of the chosen language. These are tools, guys, let's
> not get our shorts tied in knots arguing the number of angels on the
> head of a pin!
>
>>    C++ people are stuck with
>> annoying semi-colons, but that doesn't stop a lot
>> of them from holding forth about their "superior"
>> language.
>
> True. But those who actually like the semi-colons do not agree that they
> are stuck with them. They are probably happy not to have too many
> colons, otherwise they will be forced to cleanse.
>
>>    And many Perl users seem to think they're
>> the Chosen People. But "We're number 1!" is simply
>> childish, no matter what the topic.
>
> LOL. Do you know *any* language that has no zealots??
>
>> PS - Al, I'd suggest that you don't take up this
>> issue with your wife. She may not appreciate that
>> you're thinking about women who look like her --
>> even if they are her.  :)
>
> Hmm, for a computer geek, you seem to have some fairly sophisticated
> views about relations between the sexes. I'll keep your advice in mind.

The One True Faith is Assembler. All else are varying degrees of heresy. :-)
--
Crash

Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.
0
Dave
8/28/2010 11:21:56 AM
| >| Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
| >|
| >| if a = b then c = d end if
| >|

| >    I don't see the problem with that.
|
| Then you are not a Basic native speaker.

 So what? Do you want historical credentials
or workable code. It works gine for me. The End If
can be used or skipped. It also provides the option
for extensive code within it:

If a = b then
  c = d
  e = f
  g - h = i
End If

| >    I find that arrogance about one's chosen
| > language tends to be in relation
| > to the terseness of it.
|
| Wow, we are talking VBS here,
| arrogance is off topic.

  Indeed....I rest my case. :)

0
Mayayana
8/28/2010 1:54:00 PM
Evertjan. wrote:
> Mayayana wrote on 27 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>
>> | I prefer the ideas of Edsger Dijkstra [1930-2002] about Basic.
>> | Felt intuitivity leads to sloppy programming.
>> | There is beauty in Javascript that fails in VBS.
>> |
>> | Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
>> |
>> | if a = b then c = d end if
>> |

>>    I don't see the problem with that.
>
> Then you are not a Basic native speaker.
>
> there are two forms of If-then:
>
> ==============
> if a then b
> ==============
>
> and the young William Gates invention:
>
> ==============
> if a then
> end if
> ==============
>
> so the below is an error and should flagged down as an error:
>
> ==============
> if a then b end if
> ==============
>
> end it is flagged down in many Basics but not in in MS-VBS.
>

>> If it's sunny
>> then we're going to the beach. I don't find that I
>> get confused re-reading my code, thinking that the
>> beach turned into the sun.
>
> Why should you be. It can be sunny on the beach and minus 40,
> immaterial if in degrees Celcius or Farenheit.
>
>>    I find that arrogance
>
> Wow, we are talking VBS here,
> arrogance is off topic.

Arrogance is /always/ on topic with programmers. :-)

--
Crash

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
~ W. Edwards Deming ~
0
Dave
8/28/2010 1:56:24 PM
| The One True Faith is Assembler. All else are varying degrees of heresy.
:-)
| --

 :)    The president looks down on the VP and
the rubbish man looks down on the garbage man....
but they're all stuck on the same self-imposed
ladder to nowhere.

0
Mayayana
8/28/2010 1:56:57 PM
Al Dunbar wrote on 28 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

>> Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
>>
>> if a = b then c = d end if
>
> Well, what vbscript allows is a moot point, as those (apparent)
> weaknesses will never be addressed (along with the known bugs). A good
> thing too, as that would probably break a lot of code.

The story goes that years ago MS corrected this in an update, and then
some really big websites, [like cnn.com and/or bbc.co.uk ?], I remember,
came crashing to a full stop, because the programmers had written sloppily
about this.

In a speedy update the error correction was undone.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> Al Dunbar wrote on 28 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>
>>> Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
>>>
>>> if a = b then c = d end if
>>
>> Well, what vbscript allows is a moot point, as those (apparent)
>> weaknesses will never be addressed (along with the known bugs). A good
>> thing too, as that would probably break a lot of code.
>
> The story goes that years ago MS corrected this in an update, and then
> some really big websites, [like cnn.com and/or bbc.co.uk ?], I remember,
> came crashing to a full stop, because the programmers had written sloppily
> about this.

LOL. We are our own worst enemies when it comes to scuttling the
improvements we wish for...

> In a speedy update the error correction was undone.

Quite ironic

/Al

0
Al

need advice in sheets
hi! I am preparing a basic calculator for myself for some funds and I got into a trouble... there is a excel file U can download... http://www.andergrant.com/problem.zip so.. "a, b, c, d, e, f" sheets are the names of funds the problem is in the sheet called 'main' in the cell F109. I want this cell to feedback me the number taken from sheet 'a' from the row number 4 BUT !!! - I WANT IT TO FEEDBACK IT FROM TODAY!!! (I want to query to compare/check today's date and answer with a proper number under the today's date). So the feedback for such a query for today...

Outlook Express problem, need help fast
Ok what's happening here is email is comming in, I'm able to see it and click on it, in other words, From: Subject: and time and date are comming in, in the upper pane,, but I'm not able to read it in the bottom pane, or double click on it, and read any text at all. maybe overlooking the obvious.. can anyone please help me fix this problem.. thanks ...

I need a loan calculator that you can plug in the payment amount
does anyone have one? Go to MS Office site and download an excel template -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "payment amount loan calculator" <payment amount loan calculator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9E40C9B-3F8E-4D54-9AB8-414BBB971E61@microsoft.com... > does anyone have one? I can't find a template that you can plug the payment amount as a fixed amount and then ihave it calculate the number of payments or the interest rate...Have you seen one of those? Ann "Peo Sjoblom" wrote: > Go to MS Office site and download an excel template...

Need help to disable "Reply All" to messages
I am an Outlook 2000 user (not admin) and need help to disable "Reply All'' to my messages. Microsoft solution # 197544 did not work (method 2 using forms did not work). URL is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197544. Please respond at your earliest convenience. Thanks, Bill On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:33:06 -1000, Bill Lall <Bill <Lall@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote: > I am an Outlook 2000 user (not admin) and need help to disable "Reply > All'' > to my messages. You probably can't. Only way I can think of for an Outlook 20...

Where can I find examples of quiz answer sheets
Where can I find examples of quiz answer sheets There are a couple of PDF files here that could give you some ideas on how to setup a page. Scroll down below the pricing http://www.stokespublishing.com/speedscorer.html -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50F0BFFD-06AC-468B-9D5B-8CB4D15C3325@microsoft.com... > Where can I find examples of quiz answer sheets ...

Need grayscale to monchrome conversion
Sorry for the non-mfc specific question but could someone point me to an article or group that might have info on converting a grayscale bitmap to monochrome? I've imported some code from IJG that converts jpg to grayscale but I need monochrome on a non-windows system. Thanks and again sorry for the inconvenience. isn't a grayscale bitmap also monocrhome by default?? "MAO" <nospamplease.com> wrote in message news:eC$b85l%23EHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Sorry for the non-mfc specific question but could someone point me to an > article or group that mig...

Fixed Asset Trial Balance Report Needed
GP needs a Trial Balance Report that will total the account level detail of the Fixed Assets so that we can tie FA to the GL accounts. Something similar to the AP Historical Trial Balance Report, that you could run with detail or summary information. We are currently running a Smart List report of detail transactions in FA and then summarizing it in Excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the butt...

SQL Query needed
Sample Data Type # Amt # Trno # DC # Code # Subcode ADV # 1000 # 1 #D # 103625 # ADV # 1000 # 1 #C # 103400 # S1 ADV # 2000 # 2 #D # 103625 # ADV # 2000 # 2 #C # 103400 # S2 VES # 5000 # 1 #D # 103400 # S1 VES # 5000 # 1 #C # 300070 # S1 Now I wanna find out the details of Code & Subcode of Type(VES) which does not match with Type ADV Expected result should come with subcode of the other record ADV # 2000 # 2 #D # 103625 # S2 Thanks in advance Nirene -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-programming/2010...

Need Query or Macro to Update Form
I have a form with two textboxes, both tied to field names in the table I am using for the form. The two fields are GroupName1 and Groupname2. I need to build a query or macro to run where if there is any text in Groupname2, to transfer the text to a new record where the text from Groupname2 is now in Groupname1 field. Please help!!! Thanks. Chris You've described "how" you want to solve a situation... but we have no idea what situation this is supposed to solve! More specific descriptions will probably lead to more specific suggestions. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.In...

MSCRM Sales Engineer needed in Toronto
Hello all: A very strong, gold certified Microsoft partner located in Toronto is looking for a CRM sales engineer to help ramp up their practice. If anyone is interested please ping me directly at jstrauma@microsoft.com Thanks. -- John [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm. I know a small IT Firm in Toronto who has been doing CRM Consulting. They have about 15 clients and perhaps would want to partner... Is...

Need to Void Open Invoices Payables
Is there a way for invoices to be voided, be stored in a batch to lessen the manual change in posting date? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=4f03cb77-24ad-40...

need to click twice on pager to navigate
Hey Everyone, I recently added the ASP:Pager to a ListView. Everything is working fine with the pager except that it takes 2 clicks to navigate between the pages. Any ideas? thanks, David On May 28, 4:06=A0am, goldenrate <goldenr...@nospam.nospam> wrote: > Hey Everyone, > > I recently added the ASP:Pager to a ListView. Everything is working fine > with the pager except that it takes 2 clicks to navigate between the page= s. > > Any ideas? > > thanks, > David Try to put following code at OnPreRender method protected void ListView1_...

Need to print formulas
Hello all! Using E02 on XP. Have linked cells in OutFile.xls 'reading' data from InFile.xls. Rather than handwrite my cell mapping, how can I print the linked cells or the formulas? Example: InFile has: A B C 1 10.45 9.32 3.25 2 9.87 5.98 5.32 3 12.87 10.11 7.42 OutFile has: D L V 10 ='S:\[InFile.xls]P4'!A1 ='S:\[InFile.xls]P4'!B1 ='S:\[InFile.xls]P4&...

Need help with formula #2
I am trying to build a formula that will find all instances of a particular word in one in column then add the corresponding number that is in another column for a total of that particular word. ie: column A column B sp 4.00 hol 4.00 sp 8.00 vac 6.00 I want to total all instances of "sp" Thanks for the help --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi, Try the countif function to count the instances of the word you are looking for.. =COUNTIF(range,criteria), put ...

Change Needed
I have a neat VB code that I use in Excel. This code imports data from a text file into columns in an excel spreadsheet. The excel file has two worksheets, one is to input the .txt filename with a button for the VB code to do it's magic and convert everything I have in the text file, which usually has the same layout (in each txt file) in terms of what data I want columnized in excel. The code goes as follows.... Sub ConvertFile() Dim LCStart As Long Dim IQStart As Long Dim Lat1Start As Long Dim Lon1Start As Long Dim Lat2Start As Long Dim Lon2Start As Long Dim NbmesStart As Long Dim...

I need help with Dates
Right now I have a table which holds employee_id and Hours_Worked during any given week. Week_Start 07/01/2007 Week_End 07/07/2007 represents wkdays 1 and 7 respectively. However, is there a way to populate a new table for reporting purposes that gives me the actual day worked, 07/02/2007 instead of 07/01/2007 and wkday 2? Esssentially what I'm trying to do is update the date (in a new table) for each entry to an actual date instead of the Week_Start and Wkday combination. Table Name: TimeSheetMaster Field Names: Week_Start Week_End Wkdays Hours_Worked Emply_ID Thanks in Advance any...

need to redownload money plus deluxe
my computer was reformatted and i lost my copy of money plus deluxe. i found the email with the key, but digitalriver says i can't redownload after 60 days (i purchased the product in june 2008). what do i do now? Uhhh. Buy it again and this time burn the download onto a CD or bask it up or something? "Kathleen" <Kathleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13FAA301-9C2A-4647-A520-CC605EB749BA@microsoft.com... > what do i do now? ...

Urgent - Calendar
Using Access2003. This db has a calendar popup form (thanks Allen Browne). The textbox for the date selected is named 'weekloaddate' and the default value is =Date()-Weekday(Date(),0)+1 so that when query is run it pulls weekly data from the Sunday of the current week. The query that was created to pull the weekly data was formatted for the week field as 'Format([Load Date],"ww")' with criteria of 'Format([Forms]![frmMain]![weekloaddate],"ww")' and another field for the year was formatted as 'Format([Load Date],"yy")' with c...

Need help with a formula #2
Hi everyone, I need help setting up a formula. I have N observations (usually between 60 and 100 observations). I want to choose the observation that estimates the 95th percentile. Industry guidelines suggest that the observations be ranked and the 95th percentile observation be chosen based on the following formula: 95th percentile observation ~= observation in position (N*(95/100)+0.5) If there are 87 observations ranked from smallest to largest, the 95th percentile observation would be at position 83.15 In cases like this the value of the 95th percentile would be estimated by linear inte...

Need VBA code help on columns to text without loosing the format.
I have column A width 40 characters,column B width 6 characters,and column C,D,E,F,G,H are width 20 characters. I want concatenate them become a text without loosing the above format.(e.g :F50:20 0 MAH-01-101 AIR FLOW HIGH SCALING FACTOR ) Peter Try this - adjust range to suit. =MID(A29&REPT(" ",40),1,40)&MID(B29&REPT(" ",6),1,6) & MID (C29&REPT(" ",20),1,20)& MID(D29&REPT(" ",20),1,20)& MID (...

Help with #DIV/O! ...need cell value to come up with answer
When dividing a number by zero (0) the following error appears #DIV/O! however instead of this I would like the number 0 to appear. How can this be done? I have tried conditional formatting..but cant get it to work..any suggestions. Thanks Tim Harding =if(a2=0,0,b2/a2) is the way On 28 Aug 2003 01:47:44 -0700, tim.harding@royalmail.com (Tim Harding Royal Mail) wrote: >When dividing a number by zero (0) > >the following error appears #DIV/O! however instead of this I would >like the number 0 to appear. > >How can this be done? > >I have tried conditional format...

Need template for setting up a non profit prof. organization.
We are setting up a not for profit 501c6 corportation. Was wondering if anyone had Articles of Incorportation, By law templates or anything helpful. Thanks. try nolo.com or legalzoom.com you'll not need Publisher for this kinda stuff...Word will be all you need. also check with your local Corporation Commission sometimes they have templates...but I'd also recommend (by experience) that you should have a good accountant help you --- a lot of this stuff is not translatable into normal human english :-) "Miss Congeniality" <Miss Congeniality@discussions.microsoft...

MS Money has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Every time I try to download quotes or edit my budget, Money shuts down and asks me if I want to send a report, which I do every time. Of course this doesn't solve the problem. Does anyone have the same problem? I am using Money 2002. Thanks. Patricia The possibilities are endless. Job 1 is to isolate to your data file or the execution environment. Try opening the sample data file and see if it works. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=104 for some troubleshooting guidelines geared toward the possibility the problem lies with your data file. "crocsetal" <crocsetal@...

Need Outlook Help?
Link Em Up On Outlook may be just the solution you need. It is only $13.47 from Amazon and it can be ordered through http://www.linkemup.us/outlookbook If you have specific consulting needs, the specialists at Link Em Up can help in that area also. Take a look at http://www.linkemup.us to see all of the services offered. Please, do not spam the news groups. Announce your product once in one of the two general groups, prefaced by ANN: and allow those who want to skip the commercials to do so without having to curse under their breath when they find that they have opened yet another pro...

newbie
I'm using ASP.net vb.net and I make calls to a c++ dll and get back xml results. I've worked with a simple parser before in VFP and am looking for something that works like what I've seen in the past. My return value will be a string like: "OK: <guest_no>123456789</guest_no>" So in the VFP environment I used a custom parser (which I didn't write) like: lcGuest_no = .parse( lcRetVal, "guest_no") and lcGuest_no would end up being a string containing "123456789" Now in the vb.net world I'm not sure how to achieve this. I've s...