Copy Folders and it's content from a text file.

I have a script that searches a drive for a specific folder name and writes
to a text file with the path. I would like to create a sub routine to then
read the text and make a copy of that folder and contents to a USB Hard
drive. (If possible with a progress bar to show me the status of the copy
operation . ) Here is a copy of the code that I'm using.

Thank you all in advance. -Jeremy

Code:

Set objRegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objFile=objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\SearchLog.txt") 'Added to log the
results

objRegEx.Global = True
objRegEx.IgnoreCase = True
objRegex.Pattern = "^.*\b(Starwood Hotels)\b.*$"
'objRegEx.Pattern = "^bad_\d{8}"

strComputer = "."

 Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

 Set colFolders = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * From Win32_Directory")

 For Each objFolder in colFolders
  strFolder = objFolder.FileName
      Set colMatches = objRegEx.Execute(strFolder)

       If colMatches.Count > 0 Then
           objFile.WriteLine objFolder.Name
           'Wscript.Echo objFolder.Name   'Replace with above to write to text
            End If
       Next

I find this a bit vague...

"Copy Folders" <Copy Folders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a script that searches a drive for a specific folder name and
> writes
> to a text file with the path.

what does it write to a text file, the path? the path to what, the folder?
or does it write to "a text file with a path"?

>    I would like to create a sub routine to then
> read the text

I assume you mean to read the text (content) of the file just written. Why
bother? Your script wrote this file so it already has the content.

>    and make a copy of that folder and contents to a USB Hard
> drive.

why not have your script do that as soon as it finds the folder instead of
first writing something to a file and then reading it backÉ

/Al

..    (If possible with a progress bar to show me the status of the copy
> operation . ) Here is a copy of the code that I'm using.
>
> Thank you all in advance. -Jeremy
>
> Code:
>
> Set objRegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
> Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> Set objFile=objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\SearchLog.txt") 'Added to log the
> results
>
> objRegEx.Global = True
> objRegEx.IgnoreCase = True
> objRegex.Pattern = "^.*\b(Starwood Hotels)\b.*$"
> 'objRegEx.Pattern = "^bad_\d{8}"
>
> strComputer = "."
>
> Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
>
> Set colFolders = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * From Win32_Directory")
>
> For Each objFolder in colFolders
>  strFolder = objFolder.FileName
>      Set colMatches = objRegEx.Execute(strFolder)
>
>       If colMatches.Count > 0 Then
>           objFile.WriteLine objFolder.Name
>           'Wscript.Echo objFolder.Name   'Replace with above to write to
> text
>            End If
>       Next

0
Al
1/22/2010 4:31:18 AM
I don't have my references with me, and groups.google.com is not finding
what I wanted to show you.
You can use the shell object to access through vbscript, much of the
functionality that you can access through folder windows and the mouse,
including copying folders from one path to another with progress bar.  Go to
msdn.microsoft.com and search for words like vbscript and shell and copyhere
and namespace.  Besides the reference material, you may also find complete
sample code from 'the scripting guys'.

Here are some links:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776890(VS.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787866(VS.85).aspx

-Paul Randall

"Copy Folders" <Copy Folders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a script that searches a drive for a specific folder name and writes
> to a text file with the path. I would like to create a sub routine to then
> read the text and make a copy of that folder and contents to a USB Hard
> drive. (If possible with a progress bar to show me the status of the copy
> operation . ) Here is a copy of the code that I'm using.
>
> Thank you all in advance. -Jeremy
>
> Code:
>
> Set objRegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
> Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> Set objFile=objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\SearchLog.txt") 'Added to log the
> results
>
> objRegEx.Global = True
> objRegEx.IgnoreCase = True
> objRegex.Pattern = "^.*\b(Starwood Hotels)\b.*$"
> 'objRegEx.Pattern = "^bad_\d{8}"
>
> strComputer = "."
>
> Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
>
> Set colFolders = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * From Win32_Directory")
>
> For Each objFolder in colFolders
>  strFolder = objFolder.FileName
>      Set colMatches = objRegEx.Execute(strFolder)
>
>       If colMatches.Count > 0 Then
>           objFile.WriteLine objFolder.Name
>           'Wscript.Echo objFolder.Name   'Replace with above to write to
> text
>            End If
>       Next

0
Paul
1/22/2010 2:30:46 PM
Hi Al ,

As you can probably figure out , I'm not a programmer. I can understand a
little of vb , I found this script on the net and tweaked it .

The text file has the full path of the folders. Here is what the text file
contains:
g:\jobs 2006\jobs 06-0600-0649\06-0624 starwood hotels & re
g:\jobs 2006\jobs 06-1700-1749\06-1704 starwood hotels & re
g:\jobs 2006\jobs 06-1700-1749\06-1705 starwood hotels & re

The list is pretty big. After its written to the text file , I would need a
sub routine to read line by line and copy only these folders and it's content
to a USB drive.

If you have any examples , that would be awesome.

> Hi Al ,
>
> As you can probably figure out , I'm not a programmer. I can understand a
> little of vb , I found this script on the net and tweaked it .
>
> The text file has the full path of the folders. Here is what the text file
> contains:
> g:\jobs 2006\jobs 06-0600-0649\06-0624 starwood hotels & re
> g:\jobs 2006\jobs 06-1700-1749\06-1704 starwood hotels & re
> g:\jobs 2006\jobs 06-1700-1749\06-1705 starwood hotels & re
>
> The list is pretty big. After its written to the text file , I would need
> sub routine to read line by line and copy only these folders and it's
> content
> to a USB drive.

To be perfectly honest, some of us would find it much easier to do this in
batch rather than vbscript. The only issue with that is that batch code
suffers when data contains "poison characters", of which "&" is one... ;-(

Other than that quirk, a batch file to do what you ask could look something
like this:

    @echo off
    for /f "delims=" %%F in (textfile.txt) do (
        xcopy "%%~F" E:\
    )

It is not clear from your clarification above whether you expect these
folders to be copied to the root folder of the USB (which would be a problem
if two of the folders had the same name), or if you want the same folder
structure as the original.

/Al

> If you have any examples , that would be awesome.
>
> "Al Dunbar" wrote:
>
>> I find this a bit vague...
>>
>> "Copy Folders" <Copy Folders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a script that searches a drive for a specific folder name and
>> > writes
>> > to a text file with the path.
>>
>> what does it write to a text file, the path? the path to what, the
>> folder?
>> or does it write to "a text file with a path"?
>>
>> >    I would like to create a sub routine to then
>> > read the text
>>
>> I assume you mean to read the text (content) of the file just written.
>> Why
>> bother? Your script wrote this file so it already has the content.
>>
>> >    and make a copy of that folder and contents to a USB Hard
>> > drive.
>>
>> why not have your script do that as soon as it finds the folder instead
>> of
>> first writing something to a file and then reading it backÉ
>>
>> /Al
>>
>> .    (If possible with a progress bar to show me the status of the copy
>> > operation . ) Here is a copy of the code that I'm using.
>> >
>> > Thank you all in advance. -Jeremy
>> >
>> > Code:
>> >
>> > Set objRegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
>> > Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>> > Set objFile=objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\SearchLog.txt") 'Added to log the
>> > results
>> >
>> > objRegEx.Global = True
>> > objRegEx.IgnoreCase = True
>> > objRegex.Pattern = "^.*\b(Starwood Hotels)\b.*$"
>> > 'objRegEx.Pattern = "^bad_\d{8}"
>> >
>> > strComputer = "."
>> >
>> > Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &
>> > "\root\cimv2")
>> >
>> > Set colFolders = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * From
>> > Win32_Directory")
>> >
>> > For Each objFolder in colFolders
>> >  strFolder = objFolder.FileName
>> >      Set colMatches = objRegEx.Execute(strFolder)
>> >
>> >       If colMatches.Count > 0 Then
>> >           objFile.WriteLine objFolder.Name
>> >           'Wscript.Echo objFolder.Name   'Replace with above to write
>> > text
>> >            End If
>> >       Next

0
Al
2/1/2010 5:43:57 AM
Here is a subroutine that will read your text file and copy the folders to
any destination you supply (strDestination). The script will first check and
see if the destination exists, if it does not then it will create it. As for
a progressbar, this is VBScript NOT VB so you cannot have the same type of
progressbar but there are options. In this script an IE Explorer window is
opened and it displays the file being copied, so you can read it the script
will sleep for 1 sec. If an error is detected the error number, description
and the last file copied will be displayed in red in the IE window for 20
seconds.

Sub CopyFolders()
  On Error Resume Next
     strDestination = "D:\MyCopies\"  'USB Drive
     If objFSO.FolderExists(strDestination) Then
         Set objExplorer = WScript.CreateObject
_("InternetExplorer.Application") '"progressbar" starts here.
         With objExplorer
              .Navigate "about:blank"
              .ToolBar = 0
              .StatusBar = 0
              .Width = 400
              .Height = 200
              .Left = 0
              .Top = 0
          Do While (objExplorer.Busy)
              Wscript.Sleep(200)
          Loop
              .Visible = 1
         Set objFromFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\SearchLog.txt", 1) _
'the copy files starts here.
         Do Until objFromFile.AtEndOfStream
              strFolder = objFromFile.ReadLine
              .Document.Body.InnerHTML = "<b>Copying:</b> " & strFolder
              WScript.Sleep(1000) 'Sleeps 1 second so you can read the file
name displayed in the explorer window.
              objFSO.CopyFolder strFolder, strDestination, True
                 If Err <> 0 Then
                  .Document.Body.InnerHTML = "<b><font color='red'>ERROR: "
& strFolder & "</b></font>"
                  WScript.Sleep(20000) 'If error is detected explorer window
will stay open for 20 seconds.
               End If
          Loop
            .Document.Body.InnerHTML = "<b>Copy action complete.</b>"
          End With
     Wscript.Sleep 3000
     objExplorer.Quit
     objFromFile.Close()
  Else
      objFSO.CreateFolder(strDestination) 'creates the folder
      CopyFolders() 'calls this sub routine again
  End If
End Sub

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Picture behind text in Cells
Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the worksheet cells? Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in front of a picture? Many thanks Bezza Format\sheet\background should do the trick RES That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displayed behind cells. I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the different pictures can be used in forumula's. Bezza That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displaye...

Cached Outlook address list to Contacts folder?
Is there an easy way to copy addresses from the Outlook address cache to a contacts folder? How to automatically add recipient email address to contacts folder when sending email? Thanks you mean the autocomplete cache? either an addin to add people you reply to (http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts.htm#data) to contacts, or use http://www.ingressor.com/ -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http:/...

Getting frames from "Large" AVI files
Hello all, I am still somewhat new to the use of AVI files within the MFC framework, so I apologise in advance if this question has been asked and answered before. I'm using the usual classes to access frames from an AVI file. I seem not be able to access any AVI file that is more than a certain size (something between 2 and 10 GB for AVI files with a DV codec) and for "smaller" AVI files (around 5 minutes of play or 1 or so GB), I can access frames but nothing over frame 8450 or so. For instance, 7 minutes of AVI at 30 frames per second is 12600 frames. I can access t...

Deleted items folder growing spontaneously
I have outlook 2000. Every item that is sent to the deleted items folder is turned into an appointment. Also, whenever I open up the deleted items folder, about 20 new appointments are created. I have scanned with SAVCE and Adaware but found nothing. I can't find any reference to this in the group. Please Help! Thanks! How are you sending them to the folder? What type of mail account do you use? right click on deleted folder and choose properties - what form is set as the default form? (should be ipm.post) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24...

Problems opening Excel files using DFS links
Hi, I origianlly posted this question under networking, but this may be a better forum for my question. Have a weird problem. We're on a Windows 2000 domain where the users' home directory has been redirected using this syntax: \\fqdn.xxx\dfs root\sharename\%username%. The DFS root server is a member file server that holds the majority of the network shares (including the user profiles and home folders). The DFS root is registered in our AD. Here's the problem: Occasionally someone will try to open an Excel file on a share via a DFS link and will get an error message stati...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

How to filter text automatically
Hi all, I have a workbook that has infomation imported in from access. the info is as shown session date Amount Due Comments 1 1/1/05 234 11 Good 2 2/2/05 123 7 Not so Good this goe's on for 12 sessions. what I need is for excel to check the session on this worksheet 'Import1' against the 'Main Sheet' cellA1 and which ever one matches then the comment is entered into 'Main Sheet' Cell F62. hope that makes sense. Cheers. Alan In cell F62 of Main Sheet, put this formu...

Tab , setFocus doesn't hilite the text of the field
Hi, I have many fields that should be filled by the user. I added 2 more and I would like to change the tab order. I don't like using the numbers (after pressing Ctrl D, by clicking the fields I change the order) because I have too many fields and it takes time to do that. So I used the script, in each killFocus function I called setFocus function with the right field. The problem is that this function brings the cursor to the right field BUT it doesn't hilite the value in that field so in order to change this value I have first to hilite it. How can I hilite it by script? Th...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

PST file Size Limit #3
IS there a size limit for a PST data file in MS Outlook 2002 ? Thanks ! 2Gb "Zahid" <Zahid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88ED796B-D64A-4D1E-A866-90BE78A62456@microsoft.com... > IS there a size limit for a PST data file in MS Outlook 2002 ? Thanks ! "Zahid" <Zahid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88ED796B-D64A-4D1E-A866-90BE78A62456@microsoft.com... > IS there a size limit for a PST data file in MS Outlook 2002 ? Thanks ! 1.87GB (which is usually referred to as the 2GB limit). Vanguard <vanguard.code@comcast...

Secondary Copy

Looking for a tool to repair corrupt excel sheet files
I am looking for a tool to repair corrupt excel sheet files. Any body knows? See also post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/dc040b0756273b62/9a108194fe01016e?lnk=st&q=aa+arens&rnum=1#9a108194fe01016e Bart Excel 2003 Hi Bart, Don't know how you corrupted your file, but from the description it seems you data is fine until you reenter data (F2+Enter would cause a reentry). If the sheet is really corrupt it would be more a matter of retrieving what data you can. From your description it sounds like someone selected all the cells on the ...

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

v10 Int Mgr settings for .ini file to see dyn windows being popula
In v8 and earlier I used to create a im.ini file that would open GP windows and show the integration running. How do you do this in v10? Thanks Ray Nist Ray, The setting hasn't change. [IMGPPrv] ShowDynamics=True Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Ray Nist" wrote: > In v8 and earlier I used to create a im.ini file that would open GP windows > and show the integration running. > > How do you do this in v10? > > Thanks > Ray Nist Thanks Mario. We set this and it ...

BMP file in OUTLOOK 2000
I used to be able to put a animated file in my Outlook2000 message. When a person received my message, the file would should up in the message. Now when I send the message, the file shows up as a attachment. Is their something else I need to do, or Out2000 change where you cannot do it anymore? Change your message format to HTML and choose Insert-> Picture to insert your gif-file -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "bdowns" <bdowns@one.net> wrote in message new...

CDaoTableDef
I'm developing an application that uses the MicroSoft Access Jet DB engine. This is being done using C++ in VS.net. I need to change the user's db when they use the new version of the program. In particular I need to change the length of a text field in a pre-existing db without loosing the user's data. When I wanted to add a new field I used CDaoTableDef and it worked fine, but I can't locate a method to just update an existing field's properties. Any Ideas on how this can be done?? Thanks, Neil Neil if you need to alter the attributes of a tabledef object, you ...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Parsing Text When Only One Character Can Be Used To Search
Hello: I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance. I have a series of text rows containing one string that I need to parse. There are no characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text. Here's a sample record ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2, What I need to pull from this string is --...

How do I change the text in a workbook from upper to lower case
Hi Please can anyone help with this one! I have a large workbook that I have created (just with text - no formulas) and I have done it in caps but now want to change all the text to lower case without having to re-type it all. Excel hslp is confusing so can anyone tell me how to do it please Thanks Mike Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany mike wrote: > Hi > > Please can anyone help with this one! > > I have a large workbook that I have created (just with text - no > formulas) and I have done it in caps but now...

subtotal copy and paste

Missing Cookie Folders
I'm trying to help my father resolve an issue with his computer. He is running XP SP3 Home Edition. His browser is IE8. His computer will no longer remember passwords for a number of forums and other sites where he logs in. Previously, he was able to do this, but it stopped a month or so ago. We logged into one of the forums from my computer, and it retained the log-in info, so I don't think the problem is related to the forum's servers. His privacy settings allow cookies, but I am unable to find any Cookies folders in the Documents and Settings folders. I verifie...