Word Search Puzzles

It's not "exactly" related to Pub, but then again, it's not "How do I
make a pdf?"

I create one of these each week in my paper. Thirty-nine words related
to a specific topic. I have at least 350 of these and I was thinking, as
a way to make money, that I should publish a book of them (I use a
program that rearranges all the words so they would not be repeats).
However, the cost of publishing a book is somewhat stiff, so I came upon
the idea of making a pdf file and putting it on a CD. People would have
to print the puzzle but there are not that many people who do not have a
computer and printer (one of my office managers is in her 80's and she
has a computer!). If I offer say 200 puzzles on a CD for $5.00, do you
think people would buy it? Obviously, I can advertise it for free, at
least in my market.

Will this duck swim or sink?

Mike

0
wordwiz (948)

Hi, Mike -

This would have made a great Christmas gift. A little different - really
nice for the people you work with, a kid's teacher. A nice pricepoint between
five and ten dollars. A mound of them at one of the bookstore chains.

M.

"Mike Koewler" wrote:

> It's not "exactly" related to Pub, but then again, it's not "How do I
> make a pdf?"
>
> I create one of these each week in my paper. Thirty-nine words related
> to a specific topic. I have at least 350 of these and I was thinking, as
> a way to make money, that I should publish a book of them (I use a
> program that rearranges all the words so they would not be repeats).
> However, the cost of publishing a book is somewhat stiff, so I came upon
> the idea of making a pdf file and putting it on a CD. People would have
> to print the puzzle but there are not that many people who do not have a
> computer and printer (one of my office managers is in her 80's and she
> has a computer!). If I offer say 200 puzzles on a CD for $5.00, do you
> think people would buy it? Obviously, I can advertise it for free, at
> least in my market.
>
> Will this duck swim or sink?
>
> Mike

0
Morisot (87)
12/12/2004 2:19:01 PM
I actually have a website saved as a favorite that creates word puzzles from
any list I supply. It'll also do mazes and other cute space fillers for
newsletters, etc.

But since I have been a cruciverbalist for about 40 years, I know that $5
for 200 puzzles is a good price.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Mike Koewler" <wordwiz@fuse.net> wrote in message
> It's not "exactly" related to Pub, but then again, it's not "How do I make
> a pdf?"
>
> I create one of these each week in my paper. Thirty-nine words related to
> a specific topic. I have at least 350 of these and I was thinking, as a
> way to make money, that I should publish a book of them (I use a program
> that rearranges all the words so they would not be repeats). However, the
> cost of publishing a book is somewhat stiff, so I came upon the idea of
> making a pdf file and putting it on a CD. People would have to print the
> puzzle but there are not that many people who do not have a computer and
> printer (one of my office managers is in her 80's and she has a
> computer!). If I offer say 200 puzzles on a CD for $5.00, do you think
> people would buy it? Obviously, I can advertise it for free, at least in
> my market.
>
> Will this duck swim or sink?
>
> Mike

0
jl_amerson (3088)

How to wildcard search in windows mobile
Hello I am wondering how do I do a wildcard card search in Pocket Excel using Windows Mobile 2003 SE, Ver. 4.2. In desktop Excel when I want to search my book title database with two search words that are not consecutive in the title such as in the title "The barking dogs by Bob Brown" I would search dogs*brown. However I can't do this in pocket excel, for one thing it is missing the option of "search by line" plus it doesn't seem to support wildcard searches. Does anyone know what would work? Thankyou, Natalie -- darnat2 ---------------------------------------...

I can no longer save documents in Word 2003. Help?
I have been using Word 2003 on my laptop for two years which is on Vista. I can no longer save any documents to file either by hitting the save button, Ctrl S or Save as. I have reinstalled to no effect. What happens when you try? On Jan 2, 3:08=A0pm, CMF <C...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have been using Word 2003 on my laptop for two years which is on Vista.= I > can no longer save any documents to file either by hitting the save butto= n, > Ctrl S or Save as. I have reinstalled to no effect. ...

How to export the search result when using Advanced find in Outloo
I am using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 and want to count the total email size used at different timeline e.g. current month, last month, or a period of dates specified etc. but seems Outlook does not provide a ready-made view for such sort. I therefore use the Advanced find to specific the criteria, search result displayed but it does not give me what I want i.e. total size, unless it could export out to a table. Can someone tell me how to export out the search results? Maybe this works for you: In the advanced search click File/Save as search Folder. Then in that search...

How do I search for text within text?
How do you search for text within text and then when you find a match, return the information in the next column? I usually use the functions index(match) to do the above. Unfortunately, the function only works when there is a identical match. So, I need to find 765849 in 111765849111 and then return the next column. Thanks, I really appreciate the help! Best regards, Dave Hi! If the values were really text, you could use wildcards with either Vlookup or Match. However, neither seems to work with numeric numbers. So, try this array formula entered with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,...

Deleting in Word 07
I am using Word07 and saving new documents as .docx. When I delete something it remains on the screen but if I then select it says "marked as deleted". I just want to get rid of it from screen and document but it doesn't seem to want to do this. It must be possible but this version of Word is the most non-intuitive I have ever come across. Help appreciated. Denis PS The word docx is not recognised by the spell checker - says something about MS -- Denis Scadeng denis@burdon.demon.co.uk http://www.burdon.demon.co.uk/ I belive you have inadvertently activated T...

Help Menu
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel The Word Help menu doesn't give me any option or area to search from....all it does is show a Word Help Home title at the top with 2 categories below: "Popular topics" (with 6 bullet links) And then another heading below with "Ask someone" ; but there's nowhere that I can actually type in a querie to search for anything.....basically I have no HELP options available to me..... can anyone help please. Click the unidentified "jellybean" at the right end of the Word Help window's T...

removing fonts from dropdown list in Word 2008

Text Boxes in Word 2007
Is there a way to spill text in a text box to the next page? You can link to a text box on the next page. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "morrison" <morrison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C577C4A1-02A9-4FD4-9BB6-E45506140D00@mic...

uninstalling Office Test Drive; leaving my Word
I have my own MS Word program (CD) which is installed on my new IMac (it came across from my old Mac when I migrated the old Mac's HD.). Unfortunarely my new iMac came with a test drive version of MS OFFICE which expires in a few weeks. I do not need the Office components, only my own Word. I tried uninstalling the Test version, byt the uninstaller wants to uninstall everything, including my own Word copy. This is unacceptable because I write and have many important Word files. Is there any way to get rid of the Test Office version while leaving my own Word intact on the hard drive. I don&...

search/replace patterns
Hello, I am using Excel 2000. I'd like to search and replace a value -- lets say "a specific product name" that currently has no pattern and replace with it the same value "a specific product name" but with a pattern. Thanks in advance, bmac ...

Word #3
Hi, I'm using W2K Pro with Office 2002 and Publisher 2000. I'm trying to import text from a Word document and Publisher is telling me I need more memory, I've got 256MB of memory and I'm only using 128MB according to Task Manager. It's only 20kb as well. Any thoughts would be appreicated, Craig Do you have Norton? PUB2000: Error Message: A Word Story Editing Error Occurred http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243237 Windows is low on memory" error message when you use the "Edit Story in Microsoft Word" command in Publisher http:...

Fonts in Word
Version: 2008 Are there no short cuts to switching fonts in Mac word? Or do I have to plod all the way back to FORMAT, then FONTS to shift from italics back to normal? The keyboard shortcuts are largely the same on the Mac, with the minor difference that instead of holding down the Ctrl key, as you would on a PC, you have to hold down the Cmd key, i.e. the key next to the space bar with an Apple or a propeller symbol on it. Cmd+i will italicise a selection, Cmd+u will underline it, etc. On 19/04/09 22:06, in article 59b7263c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "NodaProductions@officeformac.co...

Just installing word-is it possible?
I was given Microsoft office for Mac 2008 and am in the middle of installing, however I only really use Word and in order to save space I wondered if there was any way of customising so that word is the only program installed? I don't need powerpoint, excel etc so they're really just a waste of space. The only customising option I can see so far is adding/removing fonts and dock icons, can anyone help? <br><br>thanks installed! ...

Advanced find
I thought I would be able to do cross-table adv find searches in 3.0, however, possibly due to my lack of use of the version, I cannot see how to. I know it was not an option in 1.2. I want to be able to do an advanced find, look for 'Cases', lets say all cases created on 01/01/06. Then I want to include an additional search criteria, but it would need to come from a group other than 'cases', which seem is the only area I can pull the fields from. How could I do the above search, along with filtering for contact names beginning with S (example). I would prefer not t...

Word Art
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I can not insert any text into the wordart. I click on the one that I want, it appears in the centre of my document, it says in the centre, &quot;your text here&quot;, but I can't insert any text, I click into the box and it just stays the same, I click out of it and the icon appears at the top of the page, I type and it just doesn't go into the text/word art box <br><br>Any ideas Once you insert the WordArt object Control/Right-Click it & select 'Edit Text' [or double-clic...

Checkbox in Word 2007
F1 key did not produce results in my query to insert a checkbox the can be clicked to introduce a checkmark. Guidance sought You will need to use the check box form field in the Legacy Forms toolbox, which is on the Developer tab (Controls group, Legacy Tools button). If you do not already have the Developer tab displayed (it is not by default), go to Office Button | Word Options | Popular and check the box for "Display the Developer tab in the Ribbon." From there you'll want to read http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/FillinTheBlanks.htm and especially th...

Exporting Calendar Data from Word? Possible?
I am trying to create an accessible calendar for either PDF or web output from a Microsoft Word Calendar template, but I am having a heck of a time figuring out if it can be done at all. I can print a pdf file from the doc, but it leaves little to modify or be interactive. So, folks, I was wondering if there is a way. If I could even turn it to an excel file, I could import it into Filemaker Pro and create web data, but the web out put from Word to Save as Web pages is atrocious for the Calendar. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jefferis Peterson, Pres. Web Design and Marketing http://www.PetersonSales.com ...

Amount value into words?
I hope someone can help me out here. I want to be able to type an amount into one cell and in another cell i want that amount to be written out in words. For Example: $1,000.00 one thousand dollars. Please help me. Thanks, Matthew. Hi Matthew, The following is a nice comprehensive answer compiled by Norman Harker. You should try a Google search for questions as you might imagine that this is a fairly common question. See: XL2000: How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q213360& and: XL: How to Convert a Numeric V...

Stop Updating Links To My WORD Document.
Hello: I have an Excel spreadsheet with figures that link to several word documents. When I open the documents from the network, I "want" them to pull figures from the Excel spreadsheet. But once I have the document with a new filename and in a new location on the network, I'd like Excel to STOP updating the documents. I've turned off "Update Remote References" but Excel is still finding (and updating) the Word documents. Does anyone have any suggestions? Michael... ...

Provide word counts on e mail messages.
Microsoft Word/Works provides word counts. Shouldn't Outlook provide that too? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=5276934b-e56f-4eb6-b657-9aaf844235de&dg=microsoft.public.outlook It d...

Word 2010 Beta Language proofing
Hello, I really don't know where to wirte, so I hope this will do. My problem is, that, when I go to Word 2010 Beta options->Language my first language – lithuanian is enabled and default, but in the "Proofing" section it says, that it is not installed and sends me here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=552d34b8-4f30-4d71-bbc5-f31b726f4a22&displaylang=en But even when I install the language pack, proofing doesn't apear in the language menu. I don't know what's the problem, because in older versions (like 2007 word) proofing w...

Lost Product Key Word 2000
I got a new computer with GENUINE Windows 7 OS installed. I want to keep my Word 2000, which I like and am used to. I have the CD needed to install it, but I lost the product key. How can I install it on my new computer? -- Peter AFAIK you can't install any version of Office on any OS without having the Product Key, but you've posted to the group for Mac Word. The Win Office groups are here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 3/28/10 8:40 PM, in article 861B47AF-D5F2-46F3-A3F5-2E9...

How do I hide the comments in a Word document?
I want to be able to print a document without all of my comments. I go into Print Preview, and I can't seem to find the option for hiding the comments... Thank you for your help. You can turn off the markup from the Review Tab of Word 2007 (or the Review toolbar in earlier versions). -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< &...

how can I copy words from a rule?
I have a few rules I use in Outlook 2003. one is "after message arrives" - "with specific words in the subject or body" "move to specified folder" I specify folder named "getridof" the specific words my rule checks for are many... How can I copy all those words from the rule - so I can give them to a few friends and how would they paste the words into their rule? thank you... speedi@ptd.net <speedi@ptd.net> wrote: > I have a few rules I use in Outlook 2003. > > one is "after message arrives" - "with specific words in...

Finding current cell row in spreadsheet from Word macro
Group, I am writing a macro in MS Word v.2002. I have open an Excel workbook in which I want to place some data. Since the position of the data varies, I want to place the data in the row where the cursor is located. In an Excel macro I can determine the row with the cursor as follows: ThisRow=ActiveCell.Row This code doesn't work in the Word macro. So I used the following code: Set BSParameters = GetObject("MODEL.xls") BSParameters.Application.Visible = True BSParameters.Parent.Windows(1).Visible = True Set WorkingSheet = BSParameters.Worksheets("SUMMARY") BSPa...