Why does Publisher insert a leading space when pasting text?

When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box, select
all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
> beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
9/20/2006 2:32:08 PM
Thank you Mary, however, I think you may have misunderstood my problem.  I
did use paste special and unformatted text but Publisher inserts a space
character at the beginning of the first line.  For example, when copying "At
the beginning..." it inserts " At the beginning..." so that the effect is to
indent the first line by one space.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box, select
> all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
> > beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

The same paragraph dialogue has indentation, are all the options set to zero?

Edit, Find, input a space, don't input anything in the Replace. Publisher will
scroll though when you click Find Next, click replace to rid yourself of the
unwanted space.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Thank you Mary, however, I think you may have misunderstood my problem.  I
> did use paste special and unformatted text but Publisher inserts a space
> character at the beginning of the first line.  For example, when copying "At
> the beginning..." it inserts " At the beginning..." so that the effect is to
> indent the first line by one space.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box,
>> select
>> all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>
>> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the
>> > beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this?

0
mary-sauer (6480)
9/20/2006 10:07:30 PM
I raised this problem in this newsgroup sometime last year and was informed
it was a bug!

If it's just a small amount of text it's easy to alter manually but if there
is a lot then this is what I do:

Create a text box in the scratch area then: Insert, Text File and navigate
to the Word document and ok it. This brings in the file with no spaces at
the start of paragraphs. You can then copy and paste from this text box to
your publication.

Meggie

"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> The same paragraph dialogue has indentation, are all the options set to
> zero?
>
> Edit, Find, input a space, don't input anything in the Replace. Publisher
> will scroll though when you click Find Next, click replace to rid yourself
> of the unwanted space.
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Mary, however, I think you may have misunderstood my problem.
>> did use paste special and unformatted text but Publisher inserts a space
>> character at the beginning of the first line.  For example, when copying
>> "At
>> the beginning..." it inserts " At the beginning..." so that the effect is
>> indent the first line by one space.
>>
>> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>>
>>> Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box,
>>> select
>>> all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>>
>>> "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

XP: copy/paste from Access into Excel
Hello I am converting lots of Access/Excel apps to the XP version and I hav problems with the most stupid issues. Here is one of them: in the previous version (under NT) I could just copy and past tables/queries from Access into Excel (Crtl C/Crtl V) and everythin was working. Now the numbers are all formatted as text in Excel unless I past special (Biff5). I know I could use the Tools--> Analise it with Excel (from Access t Excel) but this opens the results in a new sheet and sometimes I nee to paste in a specified region of existing spreadsheets. Yes, I could also use pass through query ...

enter text 2 cells same time 2 different sheets
I want to enter text in cell in sheet 1 and have it appear in a cell on sheet 2 also Select both sheets, using Shift and left-click on the sheet tabs.............then select a cell and type away........the values will appear in the same cells on both sheets Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "jack" <crabber1@ comcast .net> wrote in message news:700AD143-4B2D-4523-8849-79D5FA132392@microsoft.com... > I want to enter text in cell in sheet 1 and have it appear in a cell on sheet 2 also Jack, If it's the same cell (same address) in the two sheets, you can select both sheet...

How to have report text shift left ? (Fname MI Lname)
When creating a report we want the Fname MI Lname to shift left and not be spaced out... Not Like... John A Smith But like... John A. Smith. I looked at properties for the fields on the report but need guidance. thanks for any help. "Will" <Will@somewhere.com> wrote in news:46d33b94$0$6491$4c368faf@roadrunner.com: > When creating a report we want the Fname MI Lname to shift left > and not be spaced out... > > Not Like... > > John A Smith > > But like... > > John A. Smith. > > ...

Publishing to the web through Publisher

publisher #74

drop down box leading to another drop down box
I have a cell containing a drop down box with three options. Can i design my worksheet so that when one option is selected a drop down box in the neighbouring cell appears with a number of options in it? Each of the original 3 options in the first drop down box needs to lead to a different list in the second drop down box, though the options can be repeated. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks stumakker, have a look here and see if this will work for you, http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any r...

Installing Publisher 2003 gives an error

I cant type in the body of the text
I have hit something and when I try to type in the body of my email message I have this ~ when I hit enter. I am not allowed to then type a message..... Actually it is when I am hitting the tab going from the subject line to the body of the text. It has to be something simple becuase it happened very quickly. You haven't said whether it is a laptop or desktop system If it is a laptop then your Fn key must be stuck However, I suggest reboot your system and everything should be reset to default if your keyboard keys are stuck due to pressing something. hth Leslie ...

Sending Publisher Files

Hard drive space running low
My hard drive is running out of space and I'm trying to delete whatever I can, however, I do not know if I can delete any of the following: Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for applications 2.0-ENU Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for applications 2.0- Runtime Modem Helper Modem on hold Picture gear 4.1 Lite QuickStores Toolbar 1.0.0 Smart Sound Quicktracks for Premiere Elements 8.0 SoundMax Tru Switch Wizard for AT&T members Viewpoint Media Player Interactual Player and a funny one: Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I have the Home edition (????) Any help will be ...

Pasting cells' value as formula
I have a column where each cell has a formula that constructs a string. How do I copy/paste this to an adjacent column such that the string acts as a formula in the new column's cells? For a simplified example, column B has the formulas =concatenate("=text(",a1,")") =concatenate("=text(",b1,")") =concatenate("=text(",c1,")") etc So that column B's values show =text(123) =text(456) =text(789) etc How do I copy/paste column B to column C so that column C shows the values of these literal formulas 123 (as text, in this ex...

Publisher 2000 #23

How do I automatically expand a merged cell with wrapped text?
You don't. Take a look at the macro by Jim Rech: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/br owse_frm/thread/c681ec7915bee300/2601d8ed556c55e9? ...

Change fg color of a static text at runtime
How can I change fg color of a static contol base on caption's text. I can set fg/bkg color using OnCtlColor at dialog's startup but I need to change color base on a math result, if this is positive set as blue if math result use red. thanks in advance for your help, Eduardo You would still do it the same way. Create appropriate brushes(or use SetTextColor etc) and return these based on the context(math result). OnCtlColor is called whenever the control needs to be redrawn(not only at startup). -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Eduardo" <a@a.com> w...

convert contacts into leads
Does anybody know how to convert an outlook contact into a crm lead? tia If you are using the CRM for outlook add-in, you simply use the "Track in CRM" button. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "tlee" <tlee@adsionline.com> wrote in message news:%23HWNSS5fGHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... Does anybody know how to convert an outlook contact into a crm lead? tia This would work for one contact at a time. Any idea how it could be done for a folder with 200 contacts in it? "Matt Parks" wrote: > If you are using the CRM for outlook add-in, y...

Publisher 2003

upgrade publisher

can i change my text to a form of a circle?
I am typing text and have a picture in the middle and want the text to go around the picture in the form of a cirlc can this be one? Yes. Which version of PPT are you using? -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx "Juanita" <Juanita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1EF185C-ADBF-45E8-B417-61A3A4586893@microsoft.com... > I am typing text and have a pict...

Insert and propagate Rows
Could someone kindly offer a solution/vbscript to copy and populate rows of data (adjusting the text string in Column A as part of the process) as illustrated below. The top section is an example of the source data containing batch numbers with associated data in adjacent columns The batch numbers in Column A will always be in this format/length The second part of the string in column A dictates the range of individual 2 digit suffixes that the batch number / row of data pertains to Hopefully the intention can be seen in the illustration below Batch Ref Test1 Test2 Tes...

Microsoft Publisher ?

Why is publisher newsletter not page wide when sent
When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it it is about 4" wide. I want it to be page wide when it is sent to a client. What do I need to do? What do you call "page wide"? If you had started with the email template, you would not have width issues. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Donna McDermed" <DonnaMcDermed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5974DDA0-2E2D-4495-A5EB-FBF8F543482B@microsoft.com... > When I am working on my email newsletter it is page wide. When I send it > it > is abo...

Publisher for MAC
I would like to be able to use some of the publisher features on my MACBOOK PRO, but have been unable to locate the software, I waited for Office 2008 for Mac and it wasn't there :( when are you going to have it available for we mac afficianado's? -- If you try it you can be sure if you don''t like it, if you don''t try it your assuming. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see t...