What is an .swp file? And why is it so huge?

131,072kb

And is it a friend or foe?
0
carol1 (3)

It's a file that Windows creates. Think of it as a way to leave files out on
the desk so you can find them easier.

When you reboot, the file will shrink, then grow again as you work.  In
other words, it's normal.

Melissa

"Carol" <carol@willapabay.org> wrote in message
> 131,072kb
>
> And is it a friend or foe?

0
nospam4265 (43)
2/19/2004 11:58:38 AM
Carol wrote:
> 131,072kb
>
> And is it a friend or foe?

What has this to do with Publisher?!

0
cerridwen (233)
2/19/2004 3:50:46 PM
If a file is large enough to exhaust your computer's random access memory (RAM), it
is stored in virtual memory (the swap file). Storing in the swap file takes much
longer than storing in RAM. If the swap file is not large enough, the computer may
stop responding.

It is set by default, you can change it...

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
"Carol" <carol@willapabay.org> wrote in message
> 131,072kb
>
> And is it a friend or foe?

0
laserdog (1122)
2/19/2004 4:06:48 PM
about the same as an excel macro error.<G>

"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
> Carol wrote:
> > 131,072kb
> >
> > And is it a friend or foe?
>
> What has this to do with Publisher?!

0
mactno1 (79)
2/19/2004 4:07:44 PM
Mac Townsend wrote:
> about the same as an excel macro error.<G>

Just seen that now...There are going to be some busy opticians - I've just
counted over a dozen 98-related posts in the XP General group over the last
12 hours!

0
cerridwen (233)

Microsoft 2000 saving a file
I cannot save a file to my E: drive or portable thumb drive. I either receive one of two messages. (1) Word cannot continue the save do to a file permission error or (2) file or directory cannot be created. I can save to the hard drive not to the traveldrive. HELP Sure doesn't sound like a Microsoft Access Database issue. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F7576EA-1F48-45F7-BCF7-39F7BE5954FC@microsoft.com... > I cannot save a file to my E: drive or portable thumb drive. I either > receive one of two messages. (1...

Converting a file
I have a *.pub file that i need to open. The ony version of Publisher i have available is '97. I get a message that publisher cannot open files from different version. Is there anything i can do? thanks. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Walt <wmn1978@hotmail.com>... > I have a *.pub file that i need to open. The ony version > of Publisher i have available is '97. I get a message that > publisher cannot open files from different version. Is > there anything i can do? The only thing you can do to help you open the file is ...

isv.config file
We have altered the isv.config file to show additional tabs and buttons in the CRM forms. These tabs and buttons show and work fine in the web client but are not available to the sales for outlook client. They do not show in Outlook. Should this customisation show in the sales for outlook client? Thanks, Brett if you look in your _resources directory under wwwroot on the crm web server you will see a file called OutlookClient_sample.xml you use this file for the outlook client config file. so you duplicate anything in isv.config to this file and call it i think OutlookClient.config -- ...

PDF file does not print and postscript file crops pages

Insert As Shortcut option missing from Attach file dialog box
Hello All, When I click on Attach file Icon and choose a file to be attached and when I click on Insert button on attach file dialog box on the bottom right corner. I get all options on one of the computers (Insert , As text, as attachment and as shortcut) but in other computer I donot get "Insert as Shortcut" option. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Shez Same version of Outlook? ... and that would be? Checked all of the = mail format settings? Using Word as the editor (except for Outlook = 2007)? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group...

.pst files #5
After I have archived my inbox folders into a .pst file, I try to open the archived folder and I get a message that the .pst file is not a personal file folder - and it will not open the archived folder. Any ideas? Where is the archived .pst file stored? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, todd asked: | After I have archived my inbox folders into a .pst file, I | try to open the...

Excel keeps opening all files
When I run Excel program it keeps on opening all my files in my data directory. Does anyone have any suggestions. It is XP Office. Brenda This maybe the cause of your problem In Tools Menu > Option there is a field labeled Alternate startup file location Excel opens all files in the directory listed in this field -- mudrake ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mudraker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=247 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26946 ...

File services role and file copying
Hi, I just migrated our domain controller from 2003 to 2008. It's time now to migrate our file server running on 2003 R2 to 2008 std R2. I have 2 questions: 1. on new file server, should I activate "file services" role, and if yes, what will be the difference with simple file sharing we do on 2003 server? 2. To copy 2 Tb of data, do you still recommend to use robocopy or is there some new tool capable of copying file permissions etc. ? Many thanks for your advice. Mike Hello Mike, This should give you a starting point for file server migration: http:...

File path in header/footer
I know that placing &[file] in the custom header/footer section will automatically print the name of the workbook when printing the sheet (filename.xls). How can I print the file name including the complete file path? (drive:\folder\folder\filename.xls) AHH Look at: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/addpath.htm MRO "AHH" <avdhans@cmtc-nv.com> wrote in message news:0b9d01c38161$86e6f680$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I know that placing &[file] in the custom header/footer > section will automatically print the name of the workbook > when printing the sheet (filen...

Split large XML-file into smaller files
I need to split a xml-file into smaller files because the receiving system cannot handle the large file. Any ideas on how to split it into smaller files? I don't want to split it into too many files as well, but perhaps 1000 nodes under the root node per file or similar. For example split this into smaller files with 1000 <Customer> per file. <AllCustomers> <Customer> .... </Customer> <Customer> .... </Customer> <Customer> .... </Customer> <Customer> .... </Customer...

How can a split a PUB file into multiple parts?
I cannot find the way to divide a large (150 pg) PUB file into smaller parts. I also want to find out how to extract a single page (the cover) and open only it as a new file. Save your publication with a new name. What version Publisher? If you have 2007 you can select consecutive pages by pressing shift and selecting the page tabs you want to delete. Or press control if the pages are not consecutive. Once deleted, save as a new file. Open the old file again, delete all the pages you don't want and save again with a new name and so on until you have all the sections you need. If ...

Outlook 2000
Is there some way of copying emails in my Outlook 2000 personal folder in a format that can be read by MS Word. ...

What's the name of the file that stores AutoComplete addresses
My Outlook had to be re-installed and I lost my contact list which is very large. I see several files in the recycle bin. Is one of them by contacts? Autocomplete cache is an NK2 file, named for your profile, often outlook.nk2. Paste the following line in the address bar of windows explorer; %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it will open to the folder where its stored. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subsc...

Show last files used in File dropdown menu
The File dropdown menu has always shown the last 3 files I used at the bottom of the menu, but someone in my family has done something to turn this feature off. How do I turn it back on? I know this is a simple question, but I can't seem to get a simple answer!! Thanks so much to whomever can help me with this. Best, Ladywulfe Go to Tools <>options<.general tick the "recently used file list" -- Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "Ladywulfe" <Ladywulfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0C0AF67-32F6-47FF-AFC8-D5006232BB8E@microso...

.mde files
I am wondering about the Pro's and Con's of creating an .mde file from a finished Access Project. Obviously one of the Pro's is that it cannot be altered/edited/broken by the users which is the main reason I want to consider this. I also assume the application will be more stable and possible even run faster in a multi user environment (4 or 5 users in this case). One of my concerns is with future upgrades to the DB. I know I can save a copy of the final .mdb, make changes there and recompile BUT what about data? Is it retrievable, importable...How does the data in the .mde g...

Converting .dbf files to .mdb
Can anyone tell me how in Office 03 small biz I can convert a dbf file to mdb? I believe I did it a few years ago but cannot rember how i did it back then. Hi In earlier versions you could link dbf-tabels directly - I'm not sure about versions over 2000 jet. Maybe you have to install ODBC drivers for FoxPro/VisualFox , p.e. from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates/odbc/default.aspx -- Arvi Laanemets (When sending e-mail, use address arvil<At>tarkon.ee) "Chuck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:282301c4a45c$59773e70$a3...

concatenate files...
Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote: >Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party >tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul Yes, the same way you did before: copy file1.txt + file2.txt fileboth.txt Type copy /? at a command prompt to find out all about the copy command. -- Tim Slattery Slattery_T@bls.gov http://members.cox.net/slatteryt Paul H wrote: ...

Access data in a money file...
Hi all, First time that i post a message to that group.... I'm trying to access the data stored in a money file as i suppose it is stored in a database manner... Does anybody know of a way to do so through ODBC or something similar ???? thx laurent See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q10 and http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q9. "Laurent Ades" <turkpipotutunu@ifrance.com> wrote in message news:6af9c352.0310100130.27458bdd@posting.google.com... > I'm trying to access the data stored in a money file as i suppose it > is stored in a database manner... > > D...

Problem when trying to pdf publisher file
When trying to pdf a publisher file it comes out being about 7 times larger than the publisher file. Too big for email which I need. Why is this? Thanks, Stephanie Stephanie wrote: > When trying to pdf a publisher file it comes out being about 7 times > larger than the publisher file. Too big for email which I need. Why > is this? Thanks, > Stephanie With the wealth of infomation you've given, I'm sure you'll have people clamouring to assist you. Why don't you start by answering some basic questions: - 1) What version of Publisher are you using? 2) ...

Upadate page element across multiple pages/files?
Simplified Scenario: You're creating wire frames for a web site. You've got 5 menu items and 5 files (each file representing the different content for each menu item). You find out you need a 6th menu item. How do you add the 6th menu item to the menu and have it update all five of the other files? Perhaps using 5 "pages" in the same file, rather than 5 separate files? I checked into "Templates" and "Styles" in the help documentation... but no luck. I know this is possible in HTML editors like DreamWeaver UltraDev. Suggestions? Thanks, bk I figured ...

Opening excel files
Hi everyone If I open an excel document from my documents, or other location, excel opens but then the file does not open. I can open excel files from excel and using the open command. but not staright from my documents. Any ideas? thanks Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on the file in windows explorer: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the win...

Importing from a CSV file and Access
I am developing a web based application which provides a signup form and saves the data in both a CSV file and an MS Access database. The object is to import the file/database into MS Outlook. I have created field-names to make mapping into Outlook easy, but there are several non-standard fields. Question: how can I import these fields into Outlook? How do I add the new fields? thanX! I appreciate any input and recommendations!!!!! "Howie Outlook does not import custom fields. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Afte...

MS Money 2001 File Lost
I sufferred a major virus attack recently and during the recovery have apparently lost my MS Money files from January 2006 to date (1995 to 2006 are OK). My file was backed up on two floppies but the first one has been corrupted and I cannot download disk 2 into the Money program. I don't know if disk 2 covers Jan '06 to Apr '08 completely but anything would be easier than re-entering every transaction manually! Does anyone have a solution please? In microsoft.public.money, dave.kriesler@ukonline.co.uk wrote: >I sufferred a major virus attack recently and during the ...

Outlook Data Files #2
I have Outlook 2002 installed on my XP machine. In order to share my outlook data with a Win98 machine on my wireless network, I had to move the personal folders file to a directory that did not have a long folder name. It took me quite a while to get Outlook to recognize this new file and now all my windows applications recognize this file. However my Palm syncing stopped working. I contacted Palm and they said Palm only syncs with the "default" address book and that I should contact microsoft. I could not find anything on this in the knowledge base so I am asking you...

Multiple files into one file
Hi... I need to make a reguat copy of some file... I need to store all backups into one file.. this file will contains a array of ... informations: Header --. data about backup date, name etc File data - copied file ... how can I do that ? Open Destination file for writting, then open the Source files one at a time, read their content and write to Destination file. AliR. "Sebastian Warmuz" <sebastian@sebsoft.net> wrote in message news:eHrt%23bY9HHA.5404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi... I need to make a reguat copy of some file... > I need to store all backups in...