Weird problem with Publisher's listing of available printers #2

None of the installed printers will show up in Publisher on this lady's
computer. They are installed in Windows and show up fine in other Office
Programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). However, when you go to print
a document in Publisher, the only printers listed are the "Microsoft
Office Document Image Writer" and the "Lanfax Printer". None of the
physical printers are listed!

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the printers. I also tried
upgrading from Publisher XP to Publisher 2003, but the problem has
persisted. I have googled this and searched Microsoft's knowledge base,
but did not come up with anything....not even another person describing
this problem!

I have Office 2003 installed on my workstation, and all the printers
show up within Publisher, so I don't think this is a driver issue.

Short of reinstalling Windows, does anyone have any ideas??? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

What happens if you change the name of the printer...say, changing it to
"hp" to reduce the printer name length.

Is this printer on a network? Since you mention Workstation, I wonder if
your printer is located on the network.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.
"Pat" <heismanpat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> None of the installed printers will show up in Publisher on this lady's
> computer. They are installed in Windows and show up fine in other Office
> Programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). However, when you go to print a
> document in Publisher, the only printers listed are the "Microsoft Office
> Document Image Writer" and the "Lanfax Printer". None of the physical
> printers are listed!
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the printers. I also tried
> upgrading from Publisher XP to Publisher 2003, but the problem has
> persisted. I have googled this and searched Microsoft's knowledge base,
> but did not come up with anything....not even another person describing
> this problem!
>
> I have Office 2003 installed on my workstation, and all the printers show
> up within Publisher, so I don't think this is a driver issue.
>

> Short of reinstalling Windows, does anyone have any ideas??? Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

0
bkvalheim1 (519)
7/18/2005 8:31:16 PM
Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
> What happens if you change the name of the printer...say, changing it to
> "hp" to reduce the printer name length.
>
> Is this printer on a network? Since you mention Workstation, I wonder if
> your printer is located on the network.

The printer is on a network.  I've done some googling and found that
Publisher is apparently very sensitive about print drivers.  However,
this is the only user that has a problem.  Everyone else is able to
print from Publisher.
0
pgaule (4)
7/18/2005 8:36:22 PM
Pat Gaule <pgaule@cox.net> was very recently heard to utter:
> The printer is on a network.  I've done some googling and found that
> Publisher is apparently very sensitive about print drivers.  However,
> this is the only user that has a problem.  Everyone else is able to
> print from Publisher.

Are the printers installed by a script at logon or manually in Windows?

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)
7/18/2005 9:22:12 PM
Ed Bennett wrote:
> Pat Gaule <pgaule@cox.net> was very recently heard to utter:
>
>>The printer is on a network.  I've done some googling and found that
>>Publisher is apparently very sensitive about print drivers.  However,
>>this is the only user that has a problem.  Everyone else is able to
>>print from Publisher.
>

> Are the printers installed by a script at logon or manually in Windows?

When I re-installed them, I did so manually in Windows (through the "Add
A Printer..." wizard).  As far as I know, there is no special logon
script that installs printers but I will verify that tomorrow.
0
pgaule (4)
7/18/2005 9:30:30 PM
Pat Gaule wrote:
> Ed Bennett wrote:
>
>> Pat Gaule <pgaule@cox.net> was very recently heard to utter:
>>
>>> The printer is on a network.  I've done some googling and found that
>>> Publisher is apparently very sensitive about print drivers.  However,
>>> this is the only user that has a problem.  Everyone else is able to
>>> print from Publisher.
>>

>> Are the printers installed by a script at logon or manually in Windows?
>

> When I re-installed them, I did so manually in Windows (through the "Add
> A Printer..." wizard).  As far as I know, there is no special logon
> script that installs printers but I will verify that tomorrow.

She has a .bat file that maps one of the network printers to her local
LPT port.  However, disabling that from running and uninstalling the
printer in question doesn't seem to do much good.  I actually got the
printers to be listed by making a few manipulations here and there
(changing the default printer, installing a new one, etc.)  but
eventually it always goes back to not listing them.  I have no idea at
this point, but she said she doesn't need to use Publisher very much and
can just print it from a differnt computer if neccessary.
0
pgaule (4)
7/19/2005 7:04:12 PM
Pat Gaule <pgaule@cox.net> was very recently heard to utter:
> She has a .bat file that maps one of the network printers to her local
> LPT port.  However, disabling that from running and uninstalling the
> printer in question doesn't seem to do much good.

Hmm...

Try having a read of this:

===
Publisher (for some reason) uses legacy APIs to access printer information.
When printers are installed using printui.dll, the legacy part in win.ini is
not written, so Publisher cannot see the printer.

To work around it, login scripts could be used to map the printers to the
users' profiles.

Instead of using Rundll32 command for assigning printers to the users, the
following .vbs script would be used:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
PrinterPath = "\\machinename\printername"
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\machinename\printername"

where \\machinename\printername should be replaced with the correct print
server name and the shared printer name.  The script can be called from a
batch file using the following command:

cscript //nologo \\network-share-that-contains-vbs-script

The following script removes the assigned printers:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
PrinterPath = "\\share\printer"
WshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection ("\\share\printer", true, true)

The default printer can be set using the following script:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
PrinterPath = "\\share\printer"
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\share\printer"
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter \\share\printer

(Adapted from information provided by Ada Pan)
===

Hope this is of some use...

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

0
the_nerd (6344)

Multiple Virtual Server Problems
Hi! I have problem with multiple POP3/IMAP4 virtual servers on Exchange 2003. I have Default Virtual Server POP3/IMAP4 and wanted to create the second secure server with the same IP address. The created second virtual server (POP3 or IMAP4) cannot be startet. There is an eventview warning: Event ID: 1036 Source: POP3Svc Category: General Error-Massage: “An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: server instance number 2 failed to start with error 0x800cc801.” All my port and IP configurations for virtual servers are correct. I have the following configurations ...

problems with linked presentations...
I recently recieved instructions on how to put together a presentation that allowed a group of slides to loop and then had other presentations linked in to allow a flow from one presentation to the other, but when i send the presentation to others for them to view (and then when the meeting is taking place it will be viewd through live meeting, etc) the links do not update because they are found on my desktop. Is there anything I can do to allow others to view this presentations on a computer other than mine? Below is the link that provided me with instructions on how to create h...

Weird Opening Document
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 I just received a Word 2003 document as an email attachment. When I opened the attachment, it launched Word 2003 on my system. Although Office 2003 still resides on my system, I am using Office 2007. I have received 2003 Word documents as email attachments before, and when I open the attachment it always launches Word 2007. Any idea what would cause an email attachment to launch Word 2003 this time??? My guess: Because the file extension was .doc and the default file format in Word 2007 is .docx Daddy "BK" <nosp...

DoCmd.ApplyFilter problem
I have an OnClick event that does the following: DoCmd.ApplyFilter , "[TicketNo] = " & Me!GetTicket TicketNo is a column in my bound table and GetTicket is a textbox on the form. When I enter a value in the textbox and click the command button, the code works and I get the requested recond on the form. When I call the command button Click() procedure from other code, however, I get a prompt for parameter [TicketNo], the ApplyFilter is failing. I have moved a valid value to GetTicket control. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? -- Dorian "Give someone...

Problem using save as in Excel
I have recently encountered a problem with excel. When I open a file and then try to save it as another name within the same network drive (in any folder on the same drive) I get a message saying that "The Folder '________' isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password or the filename contains a/ or \. All of which is not true. Oddly enough the folder name has the new filenmae as part of the folder string. DOn't know if that matters or what is normal, but I noticed this. If I save it on another drive ( I.E. in m...

show duplicates of 2 tables
Hi, I have 2 table which have identical fields and I wish to create a table from the duplicates found. The wizard does the opposite it takes out the duplicates. How do I go about it? Cheers -- Paul Wilson On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:37:00 -0800, Paul Wilson <PaulWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have 2 table which have identical fields and I wish to create a table from >the duplicates found. The wizard does the opposite it takes out the >duplicates. > >How do I go about it? > >Cheers Create a Query joining the tables on *all* the fields w...

Busniess portal sales center Access Problem
Dear all, i am facing a problem in sales center of Portal. The error is ' you do not have access in sales invoice of microsoft dynamic gp'. ------=_NextPart_0001_64AEC435 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Thanks for posting to Newsgroups. I have been unable to find any prior references to that message you are receiving. Is that exactly how it appears in BP? In addition, can you let me know what version of BP you are on? Regards, Jerad Microsoft Online Support Engineer ===================================================== PLEASE NOTE: The partne...

Today Page problems
I have changed the Outlook Today page by clicking on the Customize link. The content changes (new folders, # of days) are retained but the format (2col/3col/winter/summer) is lost as soon as I navigate away from the today page (e.g. inbox, contacts). On returning to the today page the default format shows, but with the revised content. Anyone know how to keep the chosen format/layout? Are you using the Web toolbar to navigate back to the Outlook Today page, by chance? If so, it's a known issue and is covered in the following MSKB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.a...

Any problems with 10.3.x?
I am planning to upgrade from 10.2.8. I mostly use Word and Excel and both are working fine now. Are there any known issues with 10.3? -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-21F232.10491602012004@msnews.microsoft.com>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote: > I am planning to upgrade from 10.2.8. I mostly use Word and Excel and > both are working fine now. Are there any known issues with 10.3? I've been using Panther for several months now with no problems. ...

Function problems
I need to create a formula that can update when new entries and entered in the rows of a single page spreadsheet. Here is the problem. This is a standardized format for my office so all I can do is fix their equation. The prior year numbers are on the 2nd row of the spreadsheet, and they enter new entires in successive rows on the form so that they can track staff strength numbers on a weekly basis for the entire year. They want an equation that will recompute the weekly comparison to the prior year's ttl number. I can't just use SUM because we're not tracking growth. W...

Microsoft CRM Certfication ver 1.2
Hi I have already passed the installation & configuration , Applicaiton exam for version 1.2. I am planning to prepare for customization course. I had already taken ecourse for customziation about a 6 months back . Now I am trying figure out can I still give version 1.2 exam. If I can when it is expiring. Thanks Nidhi ...

Publisher #15
Am considering upgrading to Office XP Professional. My old Office included Publisher - does the new Office XP Pro include Publisher or do I have to purchase it separately? Thank you. On 27 Apr 2004 09:43, "SKC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Am considering upgrading to Office XP Professional. My old Office >included Publisher - does the new Office XP Pro include Publisher or do >I have to purchase it separately? Unless you intend to purchase your product through Ebay or some sort of other avenue that still overs Office XP (no longer in productio...

Composing and Printing 2 sided 8.5 x 5.5 tent cards
I am attempting to compose tent cards in a 5.5 x 8.5 configuration. Basicall it is 2 half fold cards on 1 sheet. I have a 2 sided printer. Similar to an Avery 3268. Is there a Publisher template for this? ...

Problem converting Quicken to Money 2008
I am trying out the new Money since I'm having so much trouble downloading quotes from Quicken. When I convert, it MOSTLY goes ok, but for some reason, certain transfers dating after Oct. of 2005 do not get converted as transfers. They are generally withdrawals from my checking account that get transfered to the Cash account. Cash transfers that are part of a split show up fine as transfers, but transfers that are not part of a split have nothing in the category section, and Money treats them as expenses. There are also a lot of transfers from checking to pay my credit card that...

Problems with CreateILockBytesOnhGlobal
The following code misbehaves by throwing int 3 breaks on the CreateILockBytesOnHGlobal call. If contnued, the call returns S_OK with a ILockBytes pointer, but then the StgOpenStorageOnILockBytes failes. Any ideas? HRESULT hres; IStorage *pstg = NULL; // // Load doc file from resources. // HGLOBAL hdoc = NULL; ILockBytes *plockbytes = NULL; HRSRC resinfo = FindResource(g_app.m_hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(resid), "DOCFILE"); if (!resinfo) return FALSE; hdoc = LoadResource(g_app.m_hInstance, resinfo); if (S_OK == CreateILockBytesOnHGlobal(hdoc, TRUE, &plockbytes...

Outlook Problem -- Closing itself down as soon as it is opened
I am using Outlook 2003 and sometimes when I click the icon to open the program it opens up, but then a second later closes down. Even the little icon in the system tray disappears. It doesn't happen each time I open the program but it is happening rather frequently. Does anyone know what's happening here? Thanks, Jake Cripes, that's not even time enough to click on hotbabe.jpg.pif "Jake" <someone@someplace.com> wrote in message news:%23H09oyhWEHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I am using Outlook 2003 and sometimes when I click the icon to open the >...

weird symbol instead of comma in address?
I have Office 2007 and I am using the Publisher with the mail merge to populate the addresses in thank-you cards to be mailed out. The only problem is that the comma between the city and state does not look like a comma but a small right triangle without the hypotenuse. What do I need to do for the comma to appear correctly in the address? Are you using a decorative font? I can't duplicate your issue. Is the comma in the city field or are you manually adding it? Personally I don't use the comma any longer. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Susan" <dsnsac...

Redraw problem
I have a dialog based app which has a row of buttons at the bottom of the client area and a slider just above the buttons. When the dialog window is re-sized I set the position of the buttons and a slider so that they are always at the bottom of the dialog's client area. This works OK except that if I resize the dialog vertically by dragging its top or bottom up and down repeatedly *rapidly*, the buttons and slider end up with fragments of other controls drawn across them. For example the slider has bits of the button text across it. I can't get rid of these fragments unless I forc...

Help install CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003 sp1 with ISA Server 2004
Does anyone have a link to instructions for installing CRM 1.2 on Windows Small Business Server 2003 sp 1 when ISA Server 2004 is also installed. I have SBS 2003 sp1 and ISA Server 2004 installed on one machine. We are able to access our server remotely and can access companyweb internally using http://companyweb and externally using https://mycompany.publicwebsite.com:444. I have installed CRM 1.2 on the SBS 2003 (with ISA 2004) carefully following the instructions from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ddbb17dc-fe7f-4309-b03b-1fc1c4eb6a97&DisplayLang=en. ...

WEIRD FOLDER
I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? Thanks Paul "PAUL" <pkoukos@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:992BA7CD-6A82-46CD-9876-B7F69E8401D3@microsoft.com... > I have a weird folder under Local Disk/users/myname called: > {bd85e97f-d63c-40fc-8915-0b1859d829e3} > > Is this folder needed? If not can I delete it? > > Thanks > > Paul It's most likely a temp folder used by installing of some program. It should b...

installed Publisher 2000--locked up of start
Installed from disk 2 . First time you start publisher--all tabs at grayed out--program locked up.---no error message. Win XP--OS. Have removed Publisher and reinstalled no help. Try opening Publisher in safe mode. If it works it is probably a driver issue. Go to the manufacturer's web site and look around for updated printer/graphics drivers. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Great Pa" <rdale@glasgow-ky.com> wrote in message news:OprJmI4GEHA.704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Installed from disk 2...

Problem with Outlook #3
Yesterday I upgraded my Outlook Express to Version 6.0. Since I did this, when I try and bring it up, it asks for my password, then freezes up. After many tries,including rebooting several times, I gave up. This morning it did the same thing again. After the second try, it finally went in to my e-mail. I am sure that I will have problems again with it. Any thoughts to what may be causing this? I am going to leave my Outlook Express up, so I can read the responses. If I shut it down, I am not sure that I can pull it up. My e-mail is 1Combs1@comcast.net Hi, Cathy - This is a gr...

Microsoft Publisher MVP Web Site Update
Just an FYI to all, I have added a new section to the www.publishermvps.com website for tips on using Publisher: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=112 (found in the General section) If you have any great publisher tips, post them here and I will add them to our site and be sure that you get proper credit for the tips! I have also added a few more FAQ updates and added 4 more tutorials. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Counting Text #2
I have a list of text (e.g:- True False True True False I want the cell which will count how many times False appears in thi column of cells. I assume its a fairly easy function but I dont kno which one!! Cheers Mar -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com COUNTIF (cell range, "FALSE") --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If it's really text--not boolean TRUE/FALSE, then how about: =sumproduct(--(a1:a1000="false")) "locutus243 <" wrote: > > I have a list of text (e.g:- > > True > False > True > Tru...

List rows in an order based on a cells value
I am using spreadsheets to track a portfolio of investments. I input all the data on one worksheet which is linked to two other worksheets. On one of the other worksheets, I would like to organize the rows in an order determined by the value of one cell. Specifically, I list the asset catagory of each investment (eg. Large cap stocks, small cap stocks, high grade bonds,etc). I use 20 different asset categories. Wheb I list all the assets on the first worksheet, they are in random order, but I would like to list them in a specific order based on the asset class. Is there a way to o...