Updating Link Causes Freeze

Opening publisher file with small linked charts to excel
causes excel to unexpectedly shut down, then freezes the
publisher file. Sometimes, it might begin the update and
then freeze.
I have Office XP and Office publisher 2003 - all up to
date. It used to work just fine, and I can't understand
why it would suddenly stop. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled both Office and Publisher - it may work once
after that, but with no consistency.
Can anyone help?  This is a necessary routine I do for
work, and need it to work as it's supposed to.
Thanks,   Linda

Hi Linda (linda.mcnaught@sympatico.ca),
in the newsgroups
you posted:

|| Opening publisher file with small linked charts to excel
|| causes excel to unexpectedly shut down, then freezes the
|| publisher file. Sometimes, it might begin the update and
|| then freeze.
|| I have Office XP and Office publisher 2003 - all up to
|| date. It used to work just fine, and I can't understand
|| why it would suddenly stop. I have uninstalled and
|| reinstalled both Office and Publisher - it may work once
|| after that, but with no consistency.
|| Can anyone help?  This is a necessary routine I do for
|| work, and need it to work as it's supposed to.

Are you running Norton Antivirus? Are you linking to files on removable
media, such as a floppy?
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
4/13/2004 6:14:33 PM

the hard drive.
Hi Linda (linda.mcnaught@sympatico.ca),
in the newsgroups
you posted:
||| Yes, I use Norton Antivirus. The link is to a file on the hard
||| drive.

What happens if you disable the Norton Office Plug-in, disable script
blocking and disable norton in general.

The following FAQ addresses a few known issues related to
Microsoft Publisher and Norton Antivirus.

If you are unable to open Publisher files because of one of the
following errors:

"Publisher cannot open files from a different version"
"Publisher cannot open the file"

This issue occurs if Norton AntiVirus 2000 through 2003
is installed on your computer. When Publisher 2002 opens a
publication from an earlier version of Publisher, the program tries
to convert the earlier publication into a Publisher 2002 file. As
part of this process, Publisher 2002 validates all the OLE objects
in the publication. However, Norton AntiVirus 2002 and Norton
AntiVirus 2003 prevent Publisher from communicating with the
OLE32 Server to update the OLE objects.

Nortons script blocking will actually break a Microsoft Publisher
file rendering it unopenable. If the following steps do not work
for you, more than likely the file will need to be resent to you
by the original sender. But before they do that, they would need
to disable the script blocking and Office Plug-In and resave the
file with a new name.

The following are resolutions that address most of the above issues:

1. Disable NAV Script Blocking

Norton Antivirus 2002/2003:
 1. Start NAV.
 2. Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options,
 then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options
 dialog box appears.
 3. Click Script Blocking.
 4. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended).
 5. Click OK.
 6. Restart the computer if prompted to do so.

Norton Antivirus 2001
 1. Start Norton AntiVirus.
 2. Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options,
 then click Norton AntiVirus. The Options for Norton AntiVirus
 dialog box appears.
 3. Click Script Blocking.
 4. Uncheck "Enable Script Blocking (recommended)."
 5. Click OK.

2. Also disable the Office Plug-In

Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003

Disable the plug-in for Office 2000 or Office XP:

1. Start NAV. If NAV is part of Norton SystemWorks (NSW) or Norton
Internet Security (NIS), then start NSW or NIS, and then select
Norton AntiVirus.
2. Click Options, and then click Miscellaneous.
3. In the "How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected" section,
uncheck Enable Office plug-in.
4. Click OK, and then exit NAV.
Norton AntiVirus 2001

Disable the plug-in for Office 2000:

1. Start NAV. If NAV is part of Norton SystemWorks (NSW) or Norton
Internet Security (NIS), then start NSW or NIS, and then select Norton
AntiVirus.
2. Click Options, and then click General.
3. In the "Microsoft Office 2000 plug-in" section, uncheck Enable
plug-in.
4. Click OK, and then exit NAV.
Norton Antivirus 2000

Disable the plug-in for Office 2000:

1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2. Type the command, including the quotes, for your operating system
and software, and then press Enter.

Windows 95/98 with Norton AntiVirus installed:

"C:\Windows\System\Regsvr32" -U "C:\Program Files\Norton
AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll"

Windows 95/98 with SystemWorks installed:

"C:\Windows\System\Regsvr32" -U "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton
AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll"

Windows NT/2000 with Norton AntiVirus installed:

"C:\Winnt\System32\Regsvr32" -U "C:\Program Files\Navnt\OfficeAV.dll"

If the command is successful, then you will see the following message:

"DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll
succeeded."

As a final plug, I recommend you download and utilize AVG Antivirus by
Grisoft: http://www.grisoft.com for free. (Pro version is not free)

Post back if you have any further questions. Feel free to visit my website
at http://www.mvps.org/publisher for some great information.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
4/13/2004 7:15:49 PM
Hi Brian - thank you for your suggestion. Even though I
get neither of those error messages (I don't get any
message at all, except that excel encountered...and had
to shut down..), I disabled script blocking, and disabled
office plug in - and rebooted. It made no difference.
I'm using norton 2003, windows xp, office xp standard and
office publisher 2003. Automatic updates have always
worked fine in the past, but I think a ms office update
was the last thing added to my pc before this started
happening.
One thing might make sense to you - after having these
troubles, I usually restart my pc, and this file
generally comes up saying it has stopped working and is
closing "CiceroUIWndFrame" - might that indicate a source
of the trouble?
I checked out your web site - looks like it will be a
valuable resource. Thanks.  Linda

------------

------------

------------

Linda try updating your MDAC Components from www.microsoft.com/data

--

"If you don't know where you are going,
any road will take you there!"

0
donotknock (1941)
4/13/2004 10:16:58 PM
It is an Excel error...This article addresses PowerPoint and CiceroUIWndFrame but it
could be your solution too.

You Receive Error Messages When You Delete Multiple Columns from a Graph
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323613
--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx
"Linda" <linda.mcnaught@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Brian - thank you for your suggestion. Even though I
> get neither of those error messages (I don't get any
> message at all, except that excel encountered...and had
> to shut down..), I disabled script blocking, and disabled
> office plug in - and rebooted. It made no difference.
> I'm using norton 2003, windows xp, office xp standard and
> office publisher 2003. Automatic updates have always
> worked fine in the past, but I think a ms office update
> was the last thing added to my pc before this started
> happening.
> One thing might make sense to you - after having these
> troubles, I usually restart my pc, and this file
> generally comes up saying it has stopped working and is
> closing "CiceroUIWndFrame" - might that indicate a source
> of the trouble?
> I checked out your web site - looks like it will be a
> valuable resource. Thanks.  Linda

0
laserdog (1122)
4/13/2004 11:01:10 PM
Hi Mary - Thank you for your lead - I checked out the web
site, but found the Service Patch 3 mentioned as a fix
for this trouble was already installed (a couple of days
ago) - the problem remains.  Linda

us;323613
>--
>Mary Sauer MS MVP
>http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx
>http://office.microsoft.com/
>http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
>"Linda" <linda.mcnaught@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi Brian - thank you for your suggestion. Even though I
>> get neither of those error messages (I don't get any
>> message at all, except that excel encountered...and had
>> to shut down..), I disabled script blocking, and
disabled
>> office plug in - and rebooted. It made no difference.
>> I'm using norton 2003, windows xp, office xp standard
and
>> office publisher 2003. Automatic updates have always
>> worked fine in the past, but I think a ms office update
>> was the last thing added to my pc before this started
>> happening.
>> One thing might make sense to you - after having these
>> troubles, I usually restart my pc, and this file
>> generally comes up saying it has stopped working and is
>> closing "CiceroUIWndFrame" - might that indicate a
source
>> of the trouble?
>> I checked out your web site - looks like it will be a
>> valuable resource. Thanks.  Linda

---
>> ------------
>> >2. Also disable the Office Plug-In
>> >
>> >Norton AntiVirus 2002/2003
>> >
>> >Disable the plug-in for Office 2000 or Office XP:
>> >
>> >1. Start NAV. If NAV is part of Norton SystemWorks
(NSW)
>> or Norton
>> >Internet Security (NIS), then start NSW or NIS, and
then
>> select
>> >Norton AntiVirus.
>> >2. Click Options, and then click Miscellaneous.
>> >3. In the "How to keep Microsoft Office documents
>> protected" section,
>> >uncheck Enable Office plug-in.
>> >4. Click OK, and then exit NAV.
>> >------------------------------------------------------
---
>> ------------
>> >Norton AntiVirus 2001
>> >
>> >Disable the plug-in for Office 2000:
>> >
>> >1. Start NAV. If NAV is part of Norton SystemWorks
(NSW)
>> or Norton
>> >Internet Security (NIS), then start NSW or NIS, and
then
>> select Norton
>> >AntiVirus.
>> >2. Click Options, and then click General.
>> >3. In the "Microsoft Office 2000 plug-in" section,
>> uncheck Enable
>> >plug-in.
>> >4. Click OK, and then exit NAV.
>> >------------------------------------------------------
---
>> ------------
>> >Norton Antivirus 2000
>> >
>> >Disable the plug-in for Office 2000:
>> >
>> >1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box
>> appears.
>> >2. Type the command, including the quotes, for your
>> operating system
>> >and software, and then press Enter.
>> >
>> >Windows 95/98 with Norton AntiVirus installed:
>> >
>> >"C:\Windows\System\Regsvr32" -U "C:\Program
Files\Norton
>> >AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll"
>> >
>> >Windows 95/98 with SystemWorks installed:
>> >
>> >"C:\Windows\System\Regsvr32" -U "C:\Program
Files\Norton
>> SystemWorks\Norton
>> >AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll"
>> >
>> >Windows NT/2000 with Norton AntiVirus installed:
>> >
>> >"C:\Winnt\System32\Regsvr32" -U "C:\Program
>> Files\Navnt\OfficeAV.dll"
>> >

>> >If the command is successful, then you will see the
>> following message:
>> >
>> >"DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton
>> AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll
>> >succeeded."
>> >
>> >As a final plug, I recommend you download and utilize
>> AVG Antivirus by
>> >Grisoft: http://www.grisoft.com for free. (Pro version
>> is not free)
>> >
>> >Post back if you have any further questions. Feel free
>> to visit my website
>> >at http://www.mvps.org/publisher for some great
>> information.
>> >

>> >--
>> >Brian Kvalheim
>> >Microsoft Publisher MVP
>> >http://www.mvps.org/publisher
>> >
>> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and
>> >confers no rights.
>> >

>> >.
>> >

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
4/13/2004 11:29:04 PM
Thank you for that suggestion. I found the file (v2.8) ,
but am hesitant to download/install until I know more
about what it does, and how it might affect other
applications. Thanks.   Linda

0
anonymous (74722)
4/13/2004 11:33:45 PM
In news:1c16401c421af$c3a9b910$a501280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
posted:
> Thank you for that suggestion. I found the file (v2.8) ,
> but am hesitant to download/install until I know more
> about what it does, and how it might affect other
> applications. Thanks.   Linda

This will not affect your other applications, only the ole and jet engine
that allows applications to work together like you are trying to do. But you
are absolutely right, RESEARCH is important.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
publisher (1244)

MediaCenter freezes / hangs for one and a half minute
I reinstalled my MediaCenter-PC some weeks ago from Vista to Windows 7 Enterprise. Works mostly fine, and feels good. One thing I have problem with is that it freezes periodicly when watching pictures. The scenario is when I go into Pictures and videos, browse to a directory, and clicks on a pic the screen goes black. If I wait for about one - one and a half minute, it shows the pic, and then I can continue look att the others pics in the dir. If I go back and go into another directory it often goes fine, and I can look. But suddenly, it hangs again, and stays hanged for a minute ...

Is there a way to add a link to an Exchange Public Folder email to a Support Case description?
I don't see any way to promote an email to a CRM Support Case, and the email capability in CRM is about as helpful as the old teletype with no rich text, no ability to paste a message with graphics, charts and other helpful descriptive material. I am trying to see if I create an Exchange Public Folder for CRM Cases if I can create links in the case descriptions to the public folder messages so that as a case is passed through the workflow to resolve the issue that related emails can be linked and easily reviewed by clicking on the associated links. Bill Walter You may want to tr...

How do I link to individual messages in my .pst file?
Using Outlook 2000 SR-1 in an Exchange Server environment. I can get a unique Message-ID for my messages from the Message Options, Internet headers: box in the form <numberstring@server-domain.systemhost.net>. I presume this is a constant and does not change regardless of where the message is subsequently moved to within my message filing system. I want to be able to refer to, and ideally link to, individual messages in my .pst file on my PC and the Exchange Server from documents held on separate servers. Can I make a link using the Message ID? If so how? If I am able to link to thi...

change color font after updated
hi all, i work with excel everyday, sometimes i forget which one i already changed in that sheet. i.e in column D, i have a values. now every time i changes or update that column, the color of font will change automatically maybe red, yellow or anything. at least i can know the changed. many thanks for ur help reza You could try something like this. Might get you headed in the right direction. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 4 Then Exit Sub Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "reza&quo...

Excel Freezes when opening file
I am using Win98SE and Excel97 on a 1 GHz machine with 128MG of memory. I am having a problem that I have not had in the past. Recently if I double click on an Excel file the program opens but the file does not load and then the whole computer freezes. I can't even use Alt-Ctrl-Del to close Excel and must turn the computer off and start it again.. However..If I open Excel first and then open the file everything works fine. However once the Excel file is displayed in Excel if I try to close Excel (using the "x' key) without first closing the file the computer freezes as above....

Outlook links #2
Every time I click on a link enbedded in an e-mail it starts up the TurboTax instalation program. I deleated all the TurboTax programs but it still does it. I called TurboTax and they told me to reinstall TurboTax and then uninatall it. I tried that to no avail. Can any one help? Thanks Jerry ...

Links will not work in Outlook 2007
running Vista and Outlook 2007. When I receive emails with links............. I click on the link and a pop up opens "Windows cannot open this file" To open this file Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it......... HELP!!!!! Try reassigning your favorite browser as the default in Windows via Start-> Default Programs -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real...

Lifetime Planner losing link to paycheck
For the past few days, M2007 has been losing the link to my paycheck every time I go into it, which puts me at a $0 income and of course everything is messed up from there. Since M2007, the information that shows in the dialog when linking is garbled, but it's been like that since the beta program. I haven't posted any new paychecks from the bills center into my account in the past few days. Is this happening to anyone else? Any thoughts on how to fix it? Thanks. ...

How can I update my charts x axis (dates) automatically with new d
I have 2 questions and really need your help 1.I have data sheet and chart sheet.I am not using pivot table.For each new day I am adding one line for current day data to data sheet.I have around 60 charts.How can I get charts updated automatically.I am currently selecting each chart and extend data for adding one more line everyday to those 60 plots.(right click -selecting data and one more row from table) and it takes a lot of time. 2.Is there anyway to embed bubble (comment) data to specific date in axis.I have comments in bubbles for each day but they are shifting when I p...

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.0 Update
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I installed Open XML file format converter for Mac 1.0.2 and am trying to install Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.0 Update, but I keep getting an error message that says "the installer could not locate the correct version of the software required to install this update. See the Read Me file ... to determine if your software meets the requirements for this update." The Read Me says "If the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac is installed, this update enables Office 2004 for Mac to read and write Office documents that...

PPViewer 2003 update fails (KB969615)
Today, I was offered a PowerPointViewer 2003 update, KB969615, along with a few other system updates. I do have PPviewer installed. All the other updates appear to have installed correctly, but this one keeps failing, and a little while later I'm offered it again. I have tried restarting the PC, same result. If I click in the update history status (failed) for the update it says the error code is 0x4397 Any ideas how to proceed? Win XP SP2 (updated, apart from this problem). P4 3.4G(HT) 768M ram AVG9 - ZA8 PowerPointViewer - Ver 11.0.5703.0 Thankyou. EXTRA...

Can I link every "fourth" row to a summary worksheet?
I have multiple worksheets containing between 200 - 4000 data items of which I need to take a random sample of 50 and enter the details of these 50 only in another worksheet. To obtain a random sample across the whole group, if there were 200 files then I would select every fourth file. Currently I am linking the first records, filling the series down to 50 records and then manually amending every formula link to recognise the next row I wish to select (eg. every fourth). Is there an easier way I can do this, (I cannot sort the data in a way that the first 50 shown are the random samp...

Removal of Related Links
Is there a way to remove the Related Links section (on the left panel) from all money pages? I really don't want to see them or have an option of visiting these links. thanks -rv In microsoft.public.money, <rvm5@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to remove the Related Links section (on the left panel) from >all money pages? I really don't want to see them or have an option of >visiting these links. The most you can do is Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings->TurnOffSponsorshipsAndShoppingLinks No. This is what Microsoft was most interested in sellin...

Linking from Word to Excel in Sharepoint
What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site to an Excel spreadsheet that is also on the same site? When I paste the link into the Word document as an Excel object, then modify and save (and check in) the spreadsheet, the changes do not appear in the Word document. I'm not sure this is possible, but exactly what steps are you going through to attempt to accomplish this? --rms www.rmschneider.com On 25/05/10 17:15, MWulfe wrote: > What do I need to do to link a Word document stored on a SharePoint site > to an Excel spreadsh...

How do i update a linked Excel cell location that has changed?
I have and Excel table that I have copied and linked into Publisher. I have added a few rows in Excel. Is there a way to adjust the linked table in Publisher to add those new rows or do I have to copy and Past those in? Did you actually link the Excel worksheet or did you copy/paste it? If you want the data to update you need to insert the worksheet as an linked object. Insert, Object, click from file, click link, browse to the file. When you want to change the data, double-click the worksheet, do the changes. In Publisher, right-click the worksheet, click convert. Each version of P...

Linked Tables
Using Access 2007. I have a DB with 2 tables, 1st field in each table is "Code", a numeric field. I enter data in table 1, which consists of 3 fields - Code - Date - Amount. Table 2 has Code - Supplier fields. I have a report, based on a query, that shows the Date - Supplier - Amount fields. The 2 Code fields are joined by a Relationship in the query. I would like to set up a rule, if that is what it is called, so that I cannot enter a Code number in Table 1 unless that Code number exists in Table 2. It seems to me I did this many years ago in a database far away, but cannot ...

Linked Files cause large file sizes when saved
I have run into an issue with ranges that link to foreign files when used in VLOOKUPS in Excel 07. What is happening is that when you save the file it seems like the data from the Linked file is somehow cached in the saving file which balloons up the file size. I can limit the size of the ranges and that directly impacts the saved file size but the fact is I need to reference the data so trimming the range is not helping my situation. An example of the file size change between 2003 and 2007 excel is 673kb to 8.9mg. The workbooks I am using are converted from 03 but I have tested this i...

Linked files
I have s/s#1 which uses vlookup to locate data in a seperate file s/s#2, and returns the data to s/s#1. This is working ok. Assuming I have closed all files, and I open s/s#1 and select NO to update links, if I now change the data I am searching for the result is an error condition, (even if the data does actually exist in s/s#2). Some spreadsheets I have created have this problem and some don't. I suspect there is a setting which allows you to cache the data from the linked spreadsheet. Any suggestions? Scott -- scott.auer ------------------------------------------------------...

update query 04-17-07
Hi When I run an update query via a code, it does not update. When I debug.print the sql and copy it to a query and run the query it works. What am I missing here? Many thanks in advance for any help. Richard Hi Richard, can you post your code? Jon "Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OGybEPLgHHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi > > When I run an update query via a code, it does not update. When I > debug.print the sql and copy it to a query and run the query it works. > > What am I missing here? > > Many thanks in advance ...

Linking two subforms together.
I have a FormMain and two subforms on this Sub1 & Sub2. Sub1 and Sub2 each contain the same field in their records. When I go to a record in Sub1, I want the record with the same field in Sub2 to be selected. I need something simple such as: LinkChildFields LinkMasterFields which works for a Main/Subform combination. Or even a Combo on Sub1 to select a record on Sub2. Please help, Frank Hello Frank. Frank Martin wrote: > I have a FormMain and two subforms on this Sub1 & Sub2. > > Sub1 and Sub2 each contain the same field in their records. > > When I go...

Updating Field Values in Workflow
Hi, I'm trying to write a workflow rule to update the "isbilled" field on a case. The problem is that the update task limits me to a list of fields, none of which are the field I'm interested in. Any help with this would be appreciated. TIA, Darren Hi Darren, Consider writing a workflow custom assembly. This will allow to do what you require. Try searching the sdk help for Workflow .NET Assemblies "You can call a Web service or any .NET assembly from workflow. This brings a great deal of extensibility to your workflow solution. Web services calls are treat...

Update Cost At Issuance to Manufacturing Order
What would be the best way to add 2% Overhead Cost to an Item upon issuing it to a (MO) manufacturing order. We are using FIFO Perpetual Valuation Method. Thanks ...

Retaining Links in .pptx from .xlsx files
Before upgrading to Office 2007, each month I would update data in various Excel files (.xls format). The excel charts were originally linked to powerpoint slides (.ppt format) and upon opening the powerpoint file, i would simply update the links and the powerpoint file was ready for use. Since upgrading to Office 2007, each month, I have to relink my excel charts into the powerpoint file. A task that used to take less than 1 minute, now requires about 1 hour work at month end, when 1 hour is precious time lost. Does anybody know what steps I need to follow to ensure that my ...

This is about some windows xp updates. Unsure if I should post her
I checked the Windows Update newsgroup, and it's blank. So i'll ask this question here, and if I should post it somewhere else, please let me know. I downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x86 (KB982670), and Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows XP and Windows Embedded (KB968930) from the windows update site. For some reason my cmputer froze mid-way. Now the update site believes I downloaded and installed both. What I think happened is Framework 4.0 installed, because I uninstalled it in Add and Remove programs. i can't find ...

Vista MCE content updates
I can't get the MSNBC content to update it's self. Was always updating automatically before dropping cable connection and installing antenna adapter. Vista edition. Cable isp. Help! Stuck in the past. MSNBC does not broadcast OTA Only NBC does so you can only receive it with a cable connection. "Chang Siam" <rainshadow_2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:CF3F9E10-EBA5-46D7-A847-9B7BC263227A@microsoft.com... > I can't get the MSNBC content to update it's self. Was always updating ...