update problem-crossposted

As I seem to have been abandoned by MS I thought I'd ask here.
I have retail versions of Office 2003 student and teacher and Publisher
2000. These are not OEM or illegal copies. I was having numerous problems
updating Office 2003 and was lead through an un-install and re-install by MS
tech support. Received many updates that installed correctly until...
    I received a message that I needed to install updates for Office 2000
and that one had to be installed first and separately for the other to work.
It would never download. After hours on the phone with MS it was determined
that since Publisher 2000 was a part of Office 2000 I needed the updates. I
should point out that I've never had Office 2000, just Publisher 2000.
    Office tech support transferred me to Publisher tech support. The tech
had me install a program allowing him to control my computer. An our or two
later nothing had been resolved. He couldn't figure it out. He told me
Publisher 2007 was coming out soon. I asked him if installing Publisher 2003
wold allow my Office updtaes to download and install. He assured me it
would. So I asked him to send a copy of Publisher 2003. He said that sounded
fair as we had spent a lot of time with no results and told me I may have to
pay shipping. I agreed.
    A week passed and he called me back to inform me his supervisor would
not allow him to send Pub 2003 and that I should buy the program. So MS
wants me to purchase a new version of their program so I can get updates for
another program. Then the tech told me if I didn't want to purchase, to find
a friend or neighbor with it and install from their copy! Told him
"no-that's illegal. I want MS to take ownership and do whatever it takes to
make it right.
    I then received an email that the caxe was resolved-closed. I mailed
back that this wasn't the case and got all sorts of replies taht someone
would contact me to resolve the issue. It's been two weeks and nothing.
    So any suggestions?
From Help-check for updtaes-these are listed. No matter how I try I can't
get the first one to download:

      Office 2000 Service Release 1a (English version)

      This update must be installed on its own.
      0 KB / Already Downloaded
      1 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
      Show descriptionHide description
      Office 2000 Service Release 1a provides important product updates to
Office 2000. The Service Release is designed to install over the Web and you
first download a small setup program that determines the update file set
that needs to be downloaded. The typical update file set required is
approximately 26 MB. Last modified date: 12-May-2000
      More information...

         Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and
Publisher 2000 SR-1 (English version)

      This update requires the following updates to be installed first:

      a.. Office 2000 Service Release 1a (English version)
      0 KB / Already Downloaded
      2466 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
      Show descriptionHide description
      Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and Publisher
2000 SR-1 provides the latest updates to Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2
and Publisher 2000 SR-1 and contains significant security enhancements as
well as stability and performance improvements.
      More information...

         Security Update for Publisher 2000 (KB894540)

      This update requires the following updates to be installed first:

      a.. Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and
Publisher 2000 SR-1 (English version)
      0 KB / Already Downloaded
      1503 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
      Show descriptionHide description
      A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Publisher 2000 that could
allow arbitrary code to run when you open a maliciously modified document.
This update resolves the vulnerability so that Publisher 2000 documents are
handled appropriately.
      More information...

Sorry for being so longwinded. I'm greatful for any help and wanted to put
all the inf oyt here for anyone wanting to help me.

Harmon Koeltz

begin 666 cd.gif
M1TE&.#EA$ `0`/<``/[^_N;D_[*RM_W]_?O]_>/DX]#1__KZ^O3R_^+B_Y&1
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M=:BGJ_+F_V1E9<+"P_7U]-C6V+BXOYZ>H?___P``````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M`````````````````````"'Y! ``````+ `````0`! ```CJ`%,)%"B)QB!,
M`Q,FU$!J2!L9"A.>")*GD))3;"+8B)A*@! =J;8@0+1IR8N$`/Y $6B'BQHL
MC3K<*#6P#A Z`D.(0B*!AYP[< ;NB>')4JH=9)YD,13@B(L"`D>(H/1A!H<4
M%CQ0V1#)01("'1<D&.,C3"9-8@(9<%*$R*)4&&!T^<*"T9D?BK0P>:3"3:54
MG6H$,/"F!!\07@1RNN#H$($*.1)=$=0'$(HJJ1I8`;7B$XY4!<"8,4&BA< )
M4T;%Z3%I@$ I:-9$T8/GTH,RH?P889 00A-"J!1D2&.*`J0#'%TCGY,*0,*
"`#L`
`
end

0
koeltzh (6)

Were you advised to use the Installer Cleanup Utility? This has helped me with
troublesome installations.
Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Did you read this Microsoft article?
How to obtain and install the Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245025/en-us

If you go to the Update site, you can save the SR-1/SR-1a to your hard drive. I
don't understand why you need to install it from the Internet.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af6c8d03-7633-45b4-ab96-795ee656f2a2&DisplayLang=en

Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5c011c70-47d0-4306-9fa4-8e92d36332fe&DisplayLang=en

It doesn't matter if you don't have the full Office 2000 suite, the updates will
sort it out.
--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Harmon Koeltz" <koeltzh@spammenotbellsouth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> stability and performance improvements.
>      More information...
>

>         Security Update for Publisher 2000 (KB894540)
>
>      This update requires the following updates to be installed first:
>
>      a.. Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and Publisher
> 2000 SR-1 (English version)
>      0 KB / Already Downloaded
>      1503 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
>      Show descriptionHide description
>      A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Publisher 2000 that could
> allow arbitrary code to run when you open a maliciously modified document.
> This update resolves the vulnerability so that Publisher 2000 documents are
> handled appropriately.
>      More information...
>

> Sorry for being so longwinded. I'm greatful for any help and wanted to put all
> the inf oyt here for anyone wanting to help me.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
9/18/2006 2:47:10 PM
Harmon Koeltz wrote:
>     I received a message that I needed to install updates for Office 2000
> and that one had to be installed first and separately for the other to work.
> It would never download. After hours on the phone with MS it was determined
> that since Publisher 2000 was a part of Office 2000 I needed the updates. I
> should point out that I've never had Office 2000, just Publisher 2000.

Yes, but Publisher 2000 SP3 is distributed as part of Office 2000 SP3.
Only the components you need (i.e. the Publisher update) should download
and be installed by the updater.

> I asked him if installing Publisher 2003
> wold allow my Office updtaes to download and install. He assured me it
> would.

This is almost certainly (99.99% sure) not the case. Installing
Publisher 2003 would certainly allow Publisher 2003 updates to be
successfully installed, and might remove Publisher 2000 so you wouldn't
need the Publisher 2000 updates any more. That's the only way I can see
what the tech said making any sense.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://ed.mvps.org

Thanks

Harmon Koeltz
"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> as well as stability and performance improvements.
>>      More information...
>>

>>         Security Update for Publisher 2000 (KB894540)
>>
>>      This update requires the following updates to be installed first:
>>
>>      a.. Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and
>> Publisher 2000 SR-1 (English version)
>>      0 KB / Already Downloaded
>>      1503 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
>>      Show descriptionHide description
>>      A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Publisher 2000 that
>> could allow arbitrary code to run when you open a maliciously modified
>> document. This update resolves the vulnerability so that Publisher 2000
>> documents are handled appropriately.
>>      More information...
>>

>> Sorry for being so longwinded. I'm greatful for any help and wanted to
>> put all the inf oyt here for anyone wanting to help me.

0
koeltzh (6)
9/18/2006 4:56:12 PM
"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Were you advised to use the Installer Cleanup Utility? This has helped me
> with troublesome installations.
> Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
>
> Did you read this Microsoft article?
> How to obtain and install the Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a Update
>
> If you go to the Update site, you can save the SR-1/SR-1a to your hard
> drive. I don't understand why you need to install it from the Internet.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af6c8d03-7633-45b4-ab96-795ee656f2a2&DisplayLang=en

I get as far as hitting the download button on this page. Then nothing. No
progress bar, so save or run, nothing. Just the postage stamp size window
that when maximized doesn't have an address bar but within the page is the
server not found message. I arrive at this page as part of the update
procedures described earlier in this thread.

Harmon

> [...]
>> as well as stability and performance improvements.
>>      More information...
>>

>>         Security Update for Publisher 2000 (KB894540)
>>
>>      This update requires the following updates to be installed first:
>>
>>      a.. Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and
>> Publisher 2000 SR-1 (English version)
>>      0 KB / Already Downloaded
>>      1503 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
>>      Show descriptionHide description
>>      A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Publisher 2000 that
>> could allow arbitrary code to run when you open a maliciously modified
>> document. This update resolves the vulnerability so that Publisher 2000
>> documents are handled appropriately.
>>      More information...
>>

>> Sorry for being so longwinded. I'm greatful for any help and wanted to
>> put all the inf oyt here for anyone wanting to help me.

0
koeltzh (6)
9/18/2006 7:01:24 PM
"Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Were you advised to use the Installer Cleanup Utility? This has helped me
> with troublesome installations.
> Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I cannot get to the download page-server not found

Thanks

Harmon Koeltz

> [...]
>> as well as stability and performance improvements.
>>      More information...
>>

>>         Security Update for Publisher 2000 (KB894540)
>>
>>      This update requires the following updates to be installed first:
>>
>>      a.. Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and
>> Publisher 2000 SR-1 (English version)
>>      0 KB / Already Downloaded
>>      1503 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
>>      Show descriptionHide description
>>      A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Publisher 2000 that
>> could allow arbitrary code to run when you open a maliciously modified
>> document. This update resolves the vulnerability so that Publisher 2000
>> documents are handled appropriately.
>>      More information...
>>

>> Sorry for being so longwinded. I'm greatful for any help and wanted to
>> put all the inf oyt here for anyone wanting to help me.

0
koeltzh (6)
9/18/2006 7:14:35 PM
Empty your temp cache, in Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete
files.

Put Microsoft.com in your trusted zone. Again in Internet Explore, tools,
Security tab, clear Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this
zone.
type http://office.microsoft.com and
http://www.microsoft.com

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> [...]
>>> well as stability and performance improvements.
>>>      More information...
>>>

>>>         Security Update for Publisher 2000 (KB894540)
>>>
>>>      This update requires the following updates to be installed first:
>>>
>>>      a.. Office 2000 Service Pack 3 for Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2 and
>>> Publisher 2000 SR-1 (English version)
>>>      0 KB / Already Downloaded
>>>      1503 KB / Download Time = < 1 min at your connection speed
>>>      Show descriptionHide description
>>>      A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Publisher 2000 that could
>>> allow arbitrary code to run when you open a maliciously modified document.
>>> This update resolves the vulnerability so that Publisher 2000 documents are
>>> handled appropriately.
>>>      More information...
>>>

>>> Sorry for being so longwinded. I'm greatful for any help and wanted to put
>>> all the inf oyt here for anyone wanting to help me.

0
mary-sauer (6480)
9/18/2006 8:57:29 PM
Thanks for sticking with me. Tried all your suggestions, unfortunately with
the same results.

> Empty your temp cache, in Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options,
> delete files.
>
> Put Microsoft.com in your trusted zone. Again in Internet Explore, tools,
> Security tab, clear Require server verification (https:) for all sites in
> this zone.
> type http://office.microsoft.com and
> http://www.microsoft.com
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>
> "Harmon Koeltz" <koeltzh@spammenotbellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Were you advised to use the Installer Cleanup Utility? This has helped
>>> me with troublesome installations.
>>> Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
>>
>> I cannot get to the download page-server not found
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Harmon Koeltz
>>

>>> Did you read this Microsoft article?
>>> How to obtain and install the Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a Update
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245025/en-us
>>>
>>> If you go to the Update site, you can save the SR-1/SR-1a to your hard
>>> drive. I don't understand why you need to install it from the Internet.
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af6c8d03-7633-45b4-ab96-795ee656f2a2&DisplayLang=en
>>>
>>> Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3 (SP3)
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5c011c70-47d0-4306-9fa4-8e92d36332fe&DisplayLang=en
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter if you don't have the full Office 2000 suite, the
>>> updates will sort it out.
>>> --
>>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>> news://msnews.microsoft.com
>>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>>
>>> "Harmon Koeltz" <koeltzh@spammenotbellsouth.net> wrote in message

0
koeltzh (6)
9/18/2006 9:23:32 PM
Harmon, I hope you realize I am way out of my league here.

You are obviously having Internet Explorer problems, according to this article
it could be a Java thing
"HTTP 404 - File Not Found" Error Message When You Try to Visit Web Pages That
Are Opened by JavaScript Functions in Frames or in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827667/en-us

I have some other things you can try on my web page. There was a problem with
the Office web site some time back and I put this web stuff together. Not all
will be related to your issue but if it is the Java console, there is a link...
http://msauer.mvps.org/clip_organizer_support.htm

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

> Thanks for sticking with me. Tried all your suggestions, unfortunately with
> the same results.
>
> Harmon Koeltz
> "Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Empty your temp cache, in Internet Explorer, tools, Internet Options, delete
>> files.
>>
>> Put Microsoft.com in your trusted zone. Again in Internet Explore, tools,
>> Security tab, clear Require server verification (https:) for all sites in
>> this zone.
>> type http://office.microsoft.com and
>> http://www.microsoft.com
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
>> http://office.microsoft.com/
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>> http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx
>>
>> "Harmon Koeltz" <koeltzh@spammenotbellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mary Sauer" <mary-sauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I cannot get to the download page-server not found
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Harmon Koeltz

0
mary-sauer (6480)

Report problem
I have this report that shows all receipts from any given client. The total outstanding balance is then tallied in the report. For some, the total outstanding balance is $0. In this case, I don't want that person to show up in the report. Is there a way to omit them? I know I could do it it in the underlying query, but the only way I know to do it requires totaling everything in the query, which would eliminate the ability to show each receipt individually on the report. Thanks! Create a totals query that calculates the balance by client. Then add this totals query to your re...

Update for MS Money 2005?

I'm having problems restoring Money 2001 from floppies??
I backed up to 4 floppies before reinstalling my operating system (WIN XP) . Now when I click restore, it loads up the first floppy, but it doesn't ask for the 2nd floppy. When I go through the process again--but with the 2nd floppy inserted--it asks for the first. What can I do? I use MS Money 2001. In microsoft.public.money, Joe wrote: >I backed up to 4 floppies before reinstalling my operating system (WIN XP) . >Now >when I click restore, it loads up the first floppy, but it doesn't ask for >the 2nd floppy. When I go through the process again--but with the 2nd f...

"Find a contact box" problem
Hi. I�m having problems with the �Find a contact� box on the Standard toolbar. Previously, I would type in a name and the search would pull up name/s from the Outlook Contacts folder first then, if the name is not in the Contacts folder, it would pull up name/s from the Global Address List if any. Now, when I type in a name, the search only pulls up name/s from the Global Address List. The search does not include the Contacts folder although there are entries in the Contacts folder. The problem started after I transferred a couple of Contacts subfolders to another pst file. How do I fix the p...

Problem with Script Updating

Excel 2010 Slicer Connection / Pivot Table Problem
Working in Excel 2010 beta. I have two pivot tables created from different SSAS cubes. I have PowerPivot add in installed, but not using it for this project. The two pivot tables both share several similar dimensions. When I try to connect a given slicer to both pivot tables, the 2nd pivot table is not available in the "Pivot Table Connections" window. The only pivot table listed in the "Pivot Table Connections" is the one for which the slicer was originally created. All of the posts I've seen so far say that all the pivot tables in the workbook should appear...

Outgoing SMTP Problem #2
I am experiencing problems sending to certain domains on new Exchange 2003 Server installation running on 2003 Server (PDC and DNS Server). I have had similar problems on the previous setup running Exchange 2000 on 2000 and 2003 Server where outgoing SMTP did not fail over to the next lower priority MX record of the recipient's domain. This was a known issue and a hotfix was available. A test SMTP connection to a recipients primary mail host did in fact fail whereas the third highest accepted mail. Creating an SMTP connector for this domain to that host solved the problem. However...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Problem w/ message rules
I am having some problems w/ XP that are affecting my message rules on OE I believe. Anybody have a 'basic' how to source for removing a host hijacker on OE? Could this be affecting my OE rules also? Does anyone know a better newsgroup for this issue if it is inappropriate for this one? Thanx in advance. andy On 14 May 2004 14:17, "andy" wrote: >I am having some problems w/ XP that are affecting my message rules on >OE I believe. Anybody have a 'basic' how to source for removing a host >hijacker on OE? Could this be affecting my OE rules also? Does anyon...

Update question

Problem after Win XP SP2
Windows Xp was working fine before SP2. CRM window just=20 disappear after authentication with message below shown=20 at Event Viewer. Error occur even disabling firewall. I=B4d=20 appreciate some hints. Thanks, Jose The description for Event ID ( 19011 ) in Source (=20 MSSQL$CRM ) cannot be found. The local computer may not=20 have the necessary registry information or message DLL=20 files to display messages from a remote computer. You may=20 be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=3D flag to retrieve this=20 description; see Help and Support for details. The=20 following information is part of the ...

How update entity in post update?

Excel 2003 -- Problem selecting link range within an autoshape.
In a multitab worksheet, we have a rectangluar autoshape on each sheet. The rectangluar shapes are not moved or resized with cells. The shapes are set to no fill. On any sheet, if you want to select a range within the rectangle on that sheet, there is no problem. But if you want to link from one sheet to another -- i.e type = for a cell's contents and then go to another sheet to select a cell or cells -- you are not permitted to select a cell within that other sheet's autoshape. One may select a range that overlaps the autoshape, however. One can also manually enter the range,...

Open Relay Problem Solved within ISA
I just wanted to post that I have fixed the Open Relay Problem I had earlier this week. I had, unbeknownst to me running Open Relay on my Exchange. I read the KB articles (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324958 )and it did great but I yet hadn't found what was letting it throught all thorugh. From what I had read it was all fixed, except for my ISA Server. In ISA the SMTP rule I had was putting that every request to the server looked like it was coming from the ISA server. So Exchange had it authorized as a relay so everyone who wanted to send email could. Under the TO tab, on the Reques...

Outlook Change Account Problem
The one is driving me nuts. When I set up another Pop3 account, the user information I entered, (specifically: Your Name) was entered incorrectly. I had tested it with the test function button and it worked just fine; both user name and address were sent through. I even sent an e-mail from that account to another, still OK. OK, so now I want to correct the name, but Outlook refuses to change it. I have tried deleting that account, all accounts, and deleting associated registry entries for that account, etc. No dice. The old name still appears in the message. Is there some hidden setti...

Problems with Excel functions
I have a problem with the excel funtions. The problem is that when write a funtion as for example : = Replace(E2,12,16," ") what is displayed in the cell is the funtion that i wrote and not the result. I have been having this problem and i do not know if it's a setting on my program. Please help me on.....is URGENT... I need Excel working .... Thanks in advance Your cell was formatted as text before entering the function. Format as General and re-enter (F2, Enter) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "RITRAM" <RITRAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

text formatting problems
I receive spreadsheets from remote site support staff containing Ethernet addresses in a column. Often these are entered with spaces, hyphens, etc. between each pair. However, I need them to be 12 character strings, no spaces or other chars. The column is formatted as text, and I do a replace on the problem character. This works unless the address could be interpreted as an exponent; i.e 00-50-04-82-1E-20 becomes 5.00E+26 when I replace the hyphens with nothing. In addresses that do not contain alpha chars, the leading zeros are dropped. Has anyone else seen this? How do you get aroun...