Switching Mail Merge off?

I have a file that I was originally using mail merge with. Now I've 
decided I don't want to. However, every time I open the file it searches 
for the file containing the mail merge information and gives me two 
separate error messages.

Is there a way to switch off mail merge within this file? I've tried 
searching online and in the help files but all I can find is 
instructions on how to set-up mail merge!

I would just redo the file but it's quite large and took me a long time 
to setup the first time around. I'd rather not repeat all that work if 
possible.

I'm using MS Office Publisher 2003 (11.8102.8107) SP2 on Windows XP 
Professional if that makes any difference.

TIA

d
0
dino
12/20/2006 1:54:20 PM
publisher 21446 articles. 6 followers. Follow

6 Replies
725 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 26

dino wrote:
> I have a file that I was originally using mail merge with. Now I've 
> decided I don't want to. However, every time I open the file it searches 
> for the file containing the mail merge information and gives me two 
> separate error messages.
> 
> Is there a way to switch off mail merge within this file? I've tried 
> searching online and in the help files but all I can find is 
> instructions on how to set-up mail merge!
> 
> I would just redo the file but it's quite large and took me a long time 
> to setup the first time around. I'd rather not repeat all that work if 
> possible.
> 
> I'm using MS Office Publisher 2003 (11.8102.8107) SP2 on Windows XP 
> Professional if that makes any difference.

Anybody got any ideas at all?????
0
dino
12/27/2006 11:01:16 AM
You can cancel a merge to disconnect a mail merge publication or a catalog merge 
template from its data source (data source: A file that contains information 
that can be merged into a publication. For example, a list of names and 
addresses, or paths to pictures you want to use in a mail or catalog merge. You 
must connect to a data source to perform a merge.).

On the Tools menu, point to Mail and Catalog Merge, and then click Cancel Merge.
When asked if you want to cancel the merge, click Yes.
The publication is disconnected from its data source.
Note  If you cancel a mail merge (mail merge: The process of combining 
information from a data source with a publication to print a batch of 
individually customized publications.), fields other than Address Fields, 
Greeting Lines, and Address Blocks will be converted to regular text. If you 
cancel a catalog merge (catalog merge: The process of combining information from 
a data source with a template to create pages that display multiple records per 
page. You can add the merged pages to an existing publication or create a new 
publication. ), the catalog merge area (catalog merge area: The area in a 
catalog merge template into which merge fields are inserted. When a merge is 
completed, data from a data source populates each field, and the catalog merge 
area will repeat and display multiple records on each page.) will remain, and 
all fields in it will be converted to regular text.



-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com

"dino" <di-no@utvinternet//REMOVETHIS//.ie> wrote in message 
news:4vf246F1buqosU1@mid.individual.net...
> dino wrote:
>> I have a file that I was originally using mail merge with. Now I've decided I 
>> don't want to. However, every time I open the file it searches for the file 
>> containing the mail merge information and gives me two separate error 
>> messages.
>>
>> Is there a way to switch off mail merge within this file? I've tried 
>> searching online and in the help files but all I can find is instructions on 
>> how to set-up mail merge!
>>
>> I would just redo the file but it's quite large and took me a long time to 
>> setup the first time around. I'd rather not repeat all that work if possible.
>>
>> I'm using MS Office Publisher 2003 (11.8102.8107) SP2 on Windows XP 
>> Professional if that makes any difference.
>
> Anybody got any ideas at all????? 


0
mary-sauer (6480)
12/28/2006 9:12:28 PM
Mary Sauer wrote:
> You can cancel a merge to disconnect a mail merge publication or a catalog merge 
> template from its data source (data source: A file that contains information 
> that can be merged into a publication. For example, a list of names and 
> addresses, or paths to pictures you want to use in a mail or catalog merge. You 
> must connect to a data source to perform a merge.).
> 
> On the Tools menu, point to Mail and Catalog Merge, and then click Cancel Merge.
> When asked if you want to cancel the merge, click Yes.
> The publication is disconnected from its data source.
> Note  If you cancel a mail merge (mail merge: The process of combining 
> information from a data source with a publication to print a batch of 
> individually customized publications.), fields other than Address Fields, 
> Greeting Lines, and Address Blocks will be converted to regular text. If you 
> cancel a catalog merge (catalog merge: The process of combining information from 
> a data source with a template to create pages that display multiple records per 
> page. You can add the merged pages to an existing publication or create a new 
> publication. ), the catalog merge area (catalog merge area: The area in a 
> catalog merge template into which merge fields are inserted. When a merge is 
> completed, data from a data source populates each field, and the catalog merge 
> area will repeat and display multiple records on each page.) will remain, and 
> all fields in it will be converted to regular text.

Thanks for that Mary but it didn't work :(

When I save the file, close it and re-open it again it still warns me 
that I'm about to perform a mail merge and asks me if I want to continue.

Is it possible to switch off the mail merge completely so it doesn't 
look for a data source again?
0
dino
12/28/2006 10:33:47 PM
If you use the method outlined in the previous post you shouldn't get the 
warning. Save as...with a new name might help.

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com

"dino" <di-no@utvinternet//REMOVETHIS//.ie> wrote in message 
news:4viv2oF1c21dtU1@mid.individual.net...
> Mary Sauer wrote:
>> You can cancel a merge to disconnect a mail merge publication or a catalog 
>> merge template from its data source (data source: A file that contains 
>> information that can be merged into a publication. For example, a list of 
>> names and addresses, or paths to pictures you want to use in a mail or 
>> catalog merge. You must connect to a data source to perform a merge.).
>>
>> On the Tools menu, point to Mail and Catalog Merge, and then click Cancel 
>> Merge.
>> When asked if you want to cancel the merge, click Yes.
>> The publication is disconnected from its data source.
>> Note  If you cancel a mail merge (mail merge: The process of combining 
>> information from a data source with a publication to print a batch of 
>> individually customized publications.), fields other than Address Fields, 
>> Greeting Lines, and Address Blocks will be converted to regular text. If you 
>> cancel a catalog merge (catalog merge: The process of combining information 
>> from a data source with a template to create pages that display multiple 
>> records per page. You can add the merged pages to an existing publication or 
>> create a new publication. ), the catalog merge area (catalog merge area: The 
>> area in a catalog merge template into which merge fields are inserted. When a 
>> merge is completed, data from a data source populates each field, and the 
>> catalog merge area will repeat and display multiple records on each page.) 
>> will remain, and all fields in it will be converted to regular text.
>
> Thanks for that Mary but it didn't work :(
>
> When I save the file, close it and re-open it again it still warns me that I'm 
> about to perform a mail merge and asks me if I want to continue.
>
> Is it possible to switch off the mail merge completely so it doesn't look for 
> a data source again? 


0
mary-sauer (6480)
12/29/2006 12:39:14 PM
Mary Sauer wrote:
> If you use the method outlined in the previous post you shouldn't get the 
> warning. Save as...with a new name might help.
> 
No idea why but it's now working. I must have been doing something wrong 
  but I'm not sure what.

Thanks for the help.
0
dino
12/29/2006 1:48:06 PM
Hey, its always great when things work right... Thanks for the feedback.

-- 
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com

"dino" <di-no@utvinternet//REMOVETHIS//.ie> wrote in message 
news:4vkkkuF1cee62U1@mid.individual.net...
> Mary Sauer wrote:
>> If you use the method outlined in the previous post you shouldn't get the 
>> warning. Save as...with a new name might help.
>>
> No idea why but it's now working. I must have been doing something wrong but 
> I'm not sure what.
>
> Thanks for the help. 


0
mary-sauer (6480)
12/29/2006 6:59:59 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

outlook mail problem #2
i am running windows xp professional when i try to send a email a error comes up that says: does not recognize one or more names i recive mail find . can anyone help thanks gt gregg trenor <gt@irsauction.com> wrote: > i am running windows xp professional when i try to send > a email a error comes up that says: > does not recognize one or more names > i recive mail find . can anyone help thanks gt Please report, stating the exact text of the error messane, you Outlook version, and the type of account you're using. This isn't alt.psychic.read.my.mind -- Brian T...

Merging Quicken file into Money "Register"
I'm trying to switch from Quicken 2002 to Money 2005. My existing check register in Quicken goes back two years. I want to merge that file INTO my new Money Account Register file so that when I start up Money, I have a continuous file that shows the older stuff from Quicken and the new stuff from Money. I cannot figure out how to do this. Can someone provide a step-by-step? Thanks! See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=90. It's not exactly step-by-step, but it should point you in the right direction. "Harry Krause" <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b...

Windows Mail on 2 computers
Is it possible to run the same e-mail account in Windows Mail on 2 computers and synchronise the two? I use Vista Home Premium on a desktop and laptop which are networked wirelessly through a Netgear router. Any ideas gratefully received. You can setup the account on both computers and under Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced set both to leave a copy of the messages on the server so both will receive all the messages and set one computer to delete them after a few days to ensure your mailbox on the server doesn't fill up. Then you will have the received emails...

Routed Mails not appearing in CRM
I have the exchange router installed, to send mail to CRM and have deployed a rule to a user. When mail is sent to this user, the mail is forwarded to the sink mailbox (crmmail) and it then dissapears from the sink mailbox, but it never appears in CRM. No errors appear in the event log. The router service is running as the same account as the sink box, and is a domain admin, but no luck. Thanks ...

Pop mail on Exch 2k3
Hello, quick question SBS has a nice wizard for setting exchange to pop mail straight to a users mailbox without client side configuration. How can I do this with exchange 2k3 standard? Example: mail is hosted on sendmail server by an outside vendor. I want exchange to perisodically grab mail and deliver to the correct user inbox - to be retrieved by outlook or web access. Thanks Michael SF hmm never mind - i just found this reply >>There's no native POP connector in Exchange. SBS includes one, but it isn't >>really part of Exchange per se. >>POP connectors ...

copy of Send and Receive mail from all users
Hi, I wish to have a backup copy of all the outgoing mail and in coming mail from all the mailbox users. All users are not configured with pst in their outlook 2003.All users mail are store directly on the exchange 2003 server . Presuming that I do not wish to purchase a third party exchange backup agent on the exchange server. Is there a automatic way on the server end, where all these user mail can be regularly backup and read instantly when every is needed using outlook on each individual mailbox level. your help to the above, will be greatly appreciated Antonia Not sure what ...

Why is the "Send as E-Mail message" not always available?
Using Publisher 2003, sometiimes when sending something as email -- the only option avail is sending it as an attachment. Other times program will allow it to be sent as an e-mail message (such as a newsletter). How can I get the program to allow the 1st option? I use Outlook and have it opened when attempting to do this. ...

Catalog Merge
I am trying to create a catalog in Publisher 2003. I have a catalog that is divided into categories. When the items for a particular category have depleted, I need a the next category of items to start on the next page. Can this be done Chuck.... After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Charles Scally <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I am trying to create a catalog in Publisher 2003. I have a catalog > that is divided into categories. When the items for a particular > category have depleted, I need a the next category of items to ...

Remove . (period) from merged data
I have a Word 2003 doc that merges data from our database, including a ref no which contains a period as part of its format (e.g. 10.001). We now need to remove the period from the ref no once merged in the Word doc, as another company who receive the document (shipping company) are having problems with it. They need it to be shown as 10001. We cannot/do not want to re-format the ref no in the database itself, as it serves a useful purpose for us. Is there a way to "code out" the period once the ref has arrived in the Word doc, perhaps by using a numeric picture switch o...

Junk mail 04-16-10
Why doesn't Live Mail learn from previous replies? Sometimes items end up in Junk despite the fact that I have indicated that they are not junk. Other times, emails from sources that I have marked as junk turn up in my normal mail box. Designating that a message is Not Junk does nothing but move that message to the Inbox folder. If your wanted emails wind up in the Junk E-mail folder, then you either need to add that sender to your Contacts, or else whitelist them via the Safe Senders list. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.suppo...

Need help re settting default font for Create Mail
Can anyone help me with this? When I go to Options>Compose>Font Settings (Outlook 6), I change it to Courier New, size 12. But when I hit Compose button to the Create Mail button, to compose a new e-mail, it gives me Arial Font size 10. Now, I tried creating a Stationery template that would give me Courier New size 12. I opened an e-mail, set it to Courier New size 12, and then used Save As and saved it as a Stationery under the name Courier. But when I use the drop down menu under Create Mail and choose that template, and go to write the e-mail, it does not give me the Courier that ...

Mail Merge word spacing
I accomplished a envelop mail merge in Office XP. Unfortunately the distance between the first and last name is too large. Looks like 15 space bars. IS there a way to reduce the distance between the first and last name woith out going into each envelop? Please don't multi-post, stick to your original threa. Thanks. windrider wrote: > I accomplished a envelop mail merge in Office XP. Unfortunately the distance > between the first and last name is too large. Looks like 15 space bars. IS > there a way to reduce the distance between the first and last name woith out ...

Disappering mail from exchange 2003
I setup my exchange to receive mail directly, not through my ISP. My client use Outlook 2003 and pull their mail localy to their *pst file. At night all Clients are closed, so the mail stay in the exchange until client login and pull the mail. However, a couple of times, My server wentdown at night, and all the mail in the exchange boxes disappears. It did happens more than twice, The queation is why the mail disappears, and were it is. ??? any help That could be a number of reasons. How exactly your server went down? Khalil wrote: > I setup my exchange to receive mail directly...

Sincronize Windows Live Mail and Hotmail Help
Hello. I download the inbox of hotmail with Windows Live Mail and now i cant read the messages in the inbox of hotmail. Only in WLMail. Is it possible to sincronize them to inbox in hotmail again??? Help please, it is a big problem for me. Look at Tools (ALT+T), Accounts, Mail, Hotmail Properties, Servers. Is the account set up as POP3 or HTTP? I'm guessing that it's POP3 and on the Advanced tab it is not checked to Leave a copy on the server. That will happen if you imported the account from Outlook Express. If you were to just check the Leave a copy on the serve...

Mail being sent do different user's Inbox
A couple of my users have complain that they are recieving email from another user's account. I have personally checked the inbox and found in fact they are recieving mail from at least 3 other users. Everything besides this seems to be normal on their account. Has anyone heard of this? Perhaps can point me in the right direction? Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks, Enable Message Tracking to track the messages, http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Message-Tracking-Logging.html -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner &...

Entourage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel not all of my sent emails are being received by people, and if they are getting them they are going into their junk folders. is there anything i can do to prevent this? trying to use entourage to send out business emails... but hard to right if no one gets them? thanks Use plain text instead of HTML. Many junk mail filters are triggered if the incoming e-mail message is in HTML format. On 05/06/09 23:01, in article 59b76010.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "core_digital@officeformac.com" <core_digital@office...

Importing contacts to beta Outlook from Outlook Express (Windows Mail)
I am trying to import the .csv file either from my memory stick or the addresses from Outlook Express (Windows Mail) into beta Outlook from Office 2007 but I'm not sure if I'm using the proper method. Is it easier to Import from (within Outlook) or Export to (from within Windows Mail/Outlook Express) and is there a 'writeup' I could follow (ie where is file in Outlook that contains the address or where is Outlook Express Windows Mail contacts source). It's all so confusing using Outlook to import a .csv because I am required to drag fields from one column on left t...

Excel and Windows Live Mail
Hi all I update my Mail add-in and VBA code examples to avoid the error if you use Windows Live Mail as your default mail program. More information in the blog post : http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2010/04/25/windows-live-mail-wlm-and-excel-problem-part-two/ If you have problems let me know so I can update the code/add-in if needed Thanks -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

Error re-installing e-mail router
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C344A0.3553DB10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The first install of the CRM e-mail router went without a glitch, but I = couln't send e-mail from MS CRM. I saw similar problems here with the recommendation to uninstall the = e-mail router and reinstall. I uninstalled the e-mail router and when I try to reinstall I get the = following error:=20 "Error 1923. Service 'Microsoft CRM Exchange Queue Service' = (CrmExchangeQueueService) c...

Can I create shortcut toolbar buttons to e-mail sub folders?
I have a detailed subfolder structure in outlook. Instead of clicking down from one subfolder to the next, is there a way to create a toolbar button to jump to a specific outlook e-mail subfolder? thanks Sure - you can even create your own Outlook Bar Group to hold them (note that Outlook bar can only have 12 groups). Display your folders in folder tree view and pin it open. Then drag and drop your selected folders to the Outlook Bar and select Create Shortcut Here. You are done! -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having search...

Merging Mailboxes
I have a Exchange2003 sp1 box that some how got corrupted logs. After all efforts I had to restore my message store. Unfortunately the message store I restored is 3 days older than the latest one I have and all of the messages in the que from today got delivered to the store and mailboxes before I could restore the latest files. So I restored the "latest" store files into the Recover Storage Group. From here I am stuck. One, I see the store in the recover group but there are no individual mailboxes listed. Two, I downloaded and have been reading about the Exmerge utility...

create school address book in publisher using mail merge
Want to create address book for school using mail merge (names/addresses in excel). How do I get more than one address on a page? So far, have only been able to get one name/address per page. Want 10 or more per page. Have you tried actually printing your list or just did you just look at the Print Preview? There's a quirk in Publisher that PP shows all of a single name but prints all of the entries. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "JaneZ" <JaneZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49E20A0D-9148-4F0B-BFB7-4CC0DDB3C7F2@microsoft.com... ...

Sending internal anonymous mail problem
Hello, our users can send internal anonymous mails from some 3rd party softwares (like turbonote). How can I avois this from exchange 2000. Where can I find documentation? Thank you Erman Ulusoy ermanu@hotmail.com (erman) wrote: >Hello, >our users can send internal anonymous mails from some 3rd party >softwares (like turbonote). How can I avois this from exchange 2000. >Where can I find documentation? >Thank you >Erman Ulusoy Set your external smtp server to not accept messages from anyone on your subnet. Set the internal smtp interfaces to require some level of authentica...

E-mailing a Product Info Piece (non-attachment)
Is it possible to send a e-mail with picture and text(marketing piece that is not an attachment. I don't want the reciever of the e-mail t have to click on a html or pdf icon, i just want it to appear when the click on New Mail Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do i need to use a template or stationary ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from h...

New Mail desktop alert
I have two E mail accounts - hotmail and tiscali. I have set up new mail destop alert but this only works in respect of my tiscali account (POP) but not for hotmail. The former comes into the "general" inbox whereas Hotmail comes into. its own Hotmail in box - is this the reason for the difference in the two accounts? Can I configure Outlook so that the Alert works with Hotmail as well. I use Outlook Live . Any help would be appreciated. Roy Shopland ...