Soften drop shadow around photo

Hi,

[Working in Publisher 2003]

I would like to add a realistic drop shadow to a photo, so it seems to have
some dimension off the page. The shadow should fade a bit to a soft edge
(like the shadow around the shadow icon on the toolbar.) However, the shadow
I get is hard edged; the only options seem to be shadow color and direction,
not a fade effect. It's odd that the shadow toolbar and the discussion in
the help files show a nice fade around the shadow button, but I haven't been
able to find any way to create that effect in Publisher.

I would appreciate some hints on how I can make a realistic looking drop
shadow.

Thank you.

Orrie

0
EB3551 (19)

Orrie,

Create your drop shadow in a photo editing program. The facilities in
Publisher are pretty primitive.
"Orrie" <EB3551@operamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> [Working in Publisher 2003]
>
> I would like to add a realistic drop shadow to a photo, so it seems to
> have some dimension off the page. The shadow should fade a bit to a soft
> edge (like the shadow around the shadow icon on the toolbar.) However, the
> shadow I get is hard edged; the only options seem to be shadow color and
> direction, not a fade effect. It's odd that the shadow toolbar and the
> discussion in the help files show a nice fade around the shadow button,
> but I haven't been able to find any way to create that effect in
> Publisher.
>
> I would appreciate some hints on how I can make a realistic looking drop
> shadow.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Orrie

0
Chuck
9/28/2006 4:40:06 AM
Thanks, Chuck.

Thanks, I'll fire up my PaintShop Pro. Should have done that in the first
place, I guess.

After I sent my question, I found another PUB I created a few years ago in
Publisher v. 2000 (?), and it had just the effect I wanted, but I can't
remember how I did it. And I don't have the program any longer. My
recollection is that the earlier version of Publisher was a lot easier to
use.

Orrie

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> Orrie,
>
> Create your drop shadow in a photo editing program. The facilities in
> Publisher are pretty primitive.
> "Orrie" <EB3551@operamail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> [Working in Publisher 2003]
>>
>> I would like to add a realistic drop shadow to a photo, so it seems to
>> have some dimension off the page. The shadow should fade a bit to a soft
>> edge (like the shadow around the shadow icon on the toolbar.) However,
>> the shadow I get is hard edged; the only options seem to be shadow color
>> and direction, not a fade effect. It's odd that the shadow toolbar and
>> the discussion in the help files show a nice fade around the shadow
>> button, but I haven't been able to find any way to create that effect in
>> Publisher.
>>
>> I would appreciate some hints on how I can make a realistic looking drop
>> shadow.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Orrie

0
EB3551 (19)

How do I soften edges of picture
I have inserted a picture into an auto shape and I want to soften the edges of the picture so it "fades" out around the edges. I could do that in my "Printshop" program very easily but can't seem to do it in Publisher. Please help. Lrubin <Lrubin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have inserted a picture into an auto shape and I want to soften the edges >of the picture so it "fades" out around the edges. I could do that in my >"Printshop" program very easily but can't seem to do it in Publisher. Please >help. Prin...

dependent drop down list
I know that you can create a list (i.e. Produce - Fruits, Vegetables, etc.) and then a dependent list (i.e. Fruits -Apples, Oranges, etc.). But you have to use two columns. For example, column A is data validated for the Produce list and you choose Fruit. Then column B is data validated for the dependent lists where you can choose Apple. Is there anyway to do this without the use of column B and have everything on column A? So basically, in column A, you would put your cursor over Fruit in the drop down list and then a second drop down list would appear to the right side...

Creating drop down list for multiple cell ranges
Is there a way to create a drop-down list in cell A1 on sheet1 and pull data from the followin range of cells (on sheet2) and then place that data in different cells back on sheet1 A B C D E F G 1 R-22 B2 776SH 874.85 103.8 -0.1 90847 -87 2 R-22 B2 779SH 876.35 103.7 -0.1 90836 -88 3 R-22 B2 787SH 874.85 103.6 -0.1 90637 -87 I dont know if this is possible but any help would be much appreciate. It's kind of difficult to see what's going on, but if you have a unique key in the range on Sheet2, yo...

comcast dropped newsgroups
How do i now interface with windows xp newgroup to continue my discussions here? i have Windows live mail in my pc but do not know what to fill in for NNTP, server requires authentication, etc. Thank you Use msnews.microsoft.com as your newsgroup server for MS newsgroups. "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7225ED5-26CB-415F-ADAD-B9027A3DD45A@microsoft.com... > How do i now interface with windows xp newgroup to continue my discussions > here? > i have Windows live mail in my pc but do not know what to fill in for > NNTP...

Creating a drop down menu??
I am trying to create a drop down menu on my entry form but when I do, it changes the field in all records. How do I make it so that they can be different on each record? The drop down needs to be unbound - that means that its control source must be empty. Select the drop down by clicking on it On the properties dialog, on the data tab, delete whatever is in the control source. Jeanette Cunningham "J. Kelley" <JKelley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99B0FBDF-DEEF-4699-B479-ED45DE28C11E@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a drop down menu on my en...

Publisher 2007 textboxes move themselves around
I wrote awhile ago, but it appears that my question did not make it through for some reason, so I'll restate it: I've used Publisher for many, many years, so this is not a matter of being new to it. I am using (as I have hundreds of times before) the catalog template so I can print four 8 1/2 x 5" pages on one 8 1/2 x 11" landscape paper. The booklet has a large number of pages, but it IS divisible by 4. If I delete one page, I delete 3 more to keep the 4 evenly divisible. Yet when I, for instance, cut out a textbox and paste it in on another blank page, other page...

Multiple Dependent Drop Down lists?
I want to be able to use three drop downs where the information in 2 is dependent on 1 and the information in 3 is dependent on both 1 and 2. I used dalgleish's site www.contextures.com and it is very helpful but i am getting stuck now. Thanks ...

Drop Down List in a Cell
How do I get the drop down arrow to stay in the actual cell that I have the info in? It only shows up when you click on the cell and the arrow is outside of the cell. Thanks for any help. That's how data validation works. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html _______ "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0546DF8-1E97-4D93-A46E-D718A3C4F00D...

Drop Down Menu
Hi there, I'm really sorry if this has been answered, but I need some help. I just started using MS Project last week, and I need to create a drop-down menu in a text field (in other words, I need for users of our schedule to only be able to select certain answers to a question so that we can then sort and report on those standardized answers). Is this possible? If so, please give me STEP-BY-STEP directions since I'm so new to this product. If it's not possible, is there a workaround? Thanks, Lisa Insert the text field, say Text1, anywhere into the Entry Table. ...

External large mail message looping around back to the same addres
Help urgently required. Exchange 2000 outlook 2000.Have an email that was sent to a user and is very large 20mb at least. It keeps coming through our mailsweeper into the clients mailbox continually. When it comes through it stops all other external mail until it is received by the mailbox. This takes up to 1 hour. We have checked our mailsweeper system but cannot stop it there. Is there a way in exchange we can kill the email somehow to stop it from continually sending. Or do we have to get the sender at the other end to kill it. thanks -- Kath On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:20:02 -08...

Subscript in drop down list
Hi Folks, Using Win XP Office XP I have a data validation drop down list that contains names of chemical compounds. In the source list I have these names formatted using subscript: SO2 - 2 would be subscript SO4 - 4 would be subscript C4AF - 4 would be subscript etc.. However the formatting is lost in the drop down. I can always reformat after the selection is made but is there any way that I can keep the subscript format *in the drop down list itself* ? Thanks for your help Biff ...

Some photos split in Publisher
Sometimes Publisher splits a picture - duplicating a strip of sky from the top of the picture and adding it to the bottom. It's only seen during printing - not on the work screen. Have you gone to your printer's manufacturer's web site and looked around for an updated driver? This isn't a Publisher issue. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83AF20F7-33BF-466F-8A40-9A9AB56875FB@microsoft.com... > Sometimes Publisher splits ...

How to handle dropping of files onto a CTreeView?
Hi, Could someone please give some ideas/pointers on how to handle file dropping on a CTreeView? I'm comfortable with drag and drop of items within a single view. This time I need to drag files from another app (e.g. explorer) and drop them onto my app's view. Thanks, Dan Set the WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES flag in the PreCreateWindow method of the View, and catch the WM_DROPFILES message (ON_WM_DROPFILES) See this for an example: http://www.codeproject.com/system/Tips_And_Tricks.asp AliR. "Dan" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message news:%23bQFojG%23GHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx...

drop-down tabs on the navigation bar
I am creating a website on publisher. I want to create drop-down tabs. How do I do this There is no built-in functionality to achieve this in Publisher. However, there is free javascript based and other DHTML code snippets available that you can insert into your Publisher page using the insert html code fragment feature. Google for "javascript menus" to find a lot of possibilities. If you have more questions about Publisher webs, then post in the web group and we will try to help you there: microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign Please always include the version of Publisher yo...

How do you soften edges of a photo?
How do you soften or blur the edges of a photo? LBFRD wrote: > How do you soften or blur the edges of a photo? ======================== Use digital image editing software. -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that work for me may not work for you Proceed at your own risk LBFRD wrote: > How do you soften or blur the edges of a photo? Using a graphics program. The latest version of Microsoft Digital Image somethi...

My clips and photos are printing in the upper lefthand corner of my documents
I am having trouble with some of my print jobs and Publisher 2002. I place my clips and photos where I want them in my document, but when I print the job sometimes some of the clips and photos are misplaced up into the upper lefthand corner of my document. Can anyone help me with this problem, please? It's driving me nuts! Thanks, debbio A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from debbio <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I am having trouble with some of my print jobs and > Publisher 2002. I place my clips and photos where I want ...

drop page fields here and drop series fields here
I have an OLAP chart ion my chart sheet. On the bottom and top have drop page fields and seriers fields here. I have no idea which fields I can drag and drop. any information is great appreciated, Hi, This chart is a pivotchart? If so the field list should be displayed. You can drag any field in the field list to any area, so your choice should be based on what you want to display and how you want to display it. Note that as you change the pivot chart the pivot table will also change and visa versa, so you can drag the fields around on the pivot table to see the effects on the pivo...

how do I soften edges of photos in a publication
I am trying to soften the appearance of photos in a publication instead of adding a border. I have done this in the past but have forgoten how to do it!!! With a photo editor. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Boxgrove 1" <Boxgrove 1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D21AFDC5-BC95-4934-BABC-E3057300C21F@microsoft.com... >I am trying to soften the appearance of photos in a publication instead of > adding a border. I have done this in the past but have forgoten how to do >...

Creating Drop Down boxes with the List function...
I am creating drop down boxes using the list function and I need to add color to the text. It will allow me to add color to the list, but the color I added doesn't appear in the drop down box. What do I need to do to make this happen? Thank you for your help. This should help, it sure did for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html This should help you, I worked very well for me. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html ...

How do I move text to beside (rather than after) a photo?
I have MS Word 2007. When I place a photo or text box onto a page, I can't then get text to enter beside it. The cursor will only go to the side just above or below the photo. How do I enter text alongside the picture? Change the text wrapping on the photo or text box to Square. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Mrs Mainster" <Mrs Mainster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C43DF85-E305-4DEC-8F8A-3BF1D544FF62@microsoft.com... >I have MS Word 2007. > When...

How to soften edges of photo in Publisher?
How do I soften/ blur/ fade the edges of a photo in Publisher 2003? Sometimes I do not want crisp borders. Thank you. Use a photo editor to do photo editing tasks then insert the edited photo into Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "LBFRD" <LBFRD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B67CA6C-5A88-4C1B-ACB1-88D09C1ED39F@microsoft.com... > How do I soften/ blur/ fade the edges of a photo in Publisher 2003? > Sometimes > I do not want crisp borders. Thank you. ...

soften jagged edges of pie charts
I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document Instructions said go to format, click selected data series and click patterns tab then select smoothed line. But the box Smoothed line doesn't exist. Have you tried copying as picture (Shift-Edit-copy as picture)? "zen" wrote: > I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel > but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document > > Instructions said go to format, click selected...

Multi-Column Drop-down list ?
How can I create a multiple (6)column drop-list, so when I make a selection from the list in the far left (1st)column, the cells across the remaining (5)columns will be populated. The drop-down list should be flexible to allow additions and deletions, the third column in the drop-down list should allow variable entries and blank cells. The data in each column can be text and numerical. The list may contain several hundred rows, across the (5) columns. Regards, JB Hi JB, As a starting point, see Debra Dalgleissh's Dependent Lists page at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDat...

Pull down list
Is it possible when using pull down lists to have the drop down arrow show all the time, not only when the cell is selected? Thx Pull down lists created by Data|Validation? I don't think so. But I like to just color the cells I use for input. (Maybe you could insert a shape from the drawing toolbar????) Rita Halporn wrote: > > Is it possible when using pull down lists to have the drop down arrow show > all the time, not only when the cell is selected? > Thx -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

dropped payees
how do i reactivated an inactive payee in money 2003? the payee appears in the payees list but because they have not been used since 2001 they are not in the drop down list of the forms entry area. ...