Slowing Printing with Publisher & Merged Database

I am doing a newsletter that  prints out customers addresses by pulling them
off an Excel spreadsheet.  I have about 1200 records in the spreadsheet.

As the printer runs, it prints out each newsletter with one customers
address and then moves down to the next record.

The problem I am having is that it takes an extremely and I mean extremely
long time to print.  10 copies takes about 15 to 20 minutes.

My Publisher file is about  seven megabytes.  I am using Publisher 2003 and
Windows XP Pro SP2 printing to a Xerox 3535 creo Spire.  The Spire shows the
file as being 900 MB for each 100 records printed.

You see if I do the print merge and start printing ... it'll print only 10
records at a time and then create another file for 10 records and each file
will be 700 MB.  The Xerox creo Spire is running Windows 2K Pro.  So I have
to go and delete each 700 MB before I run out of hard drive space.

If you can reply please reply back to YoungTaeByun@BYUNSPEED.com.  Thanks.
0
Byun (1)

Young,

It sounds like you suffering from transferring a lot of data, although if
you have the “Print CMYK by default” box checked in ‘Advance Print Settings’
dialogue box (accessed from the ‘Print’ Dialogue box) this will make
Publisher print even slower. Note: you cannot access the ‘Advance Print
Settings’ dialogue box from a Merge publication, if you need to change it you
need to open a new Publisher file and go to the ‘Print’ dialogue box to
change it, then reopen your merge publication.

I’m not familiar with the Xerox Creo Spire, but I do know complex files
(lots of graphics) that are merged do get big and difficult to work with even
from Quark (using the Xdata plug-in), as PostScript level 2 ‘copy page’
semantics aren’t used. Depending on what your are doing (and it sounds like
it’s a simple merge with no graphics swapping) most front ends include some
sort of form capabilities, where you would RIP the static portion of the
document and place it on the server, the do the variable portion in a
separate document that calls that form. This is how I do it with our Cannon
using the Fiery front end. For our old Xerox  DocuTech  and our Heidelberg
9110 I use a ‘get tif’ statement buried in the PostScript stream (using an
EPS placed in the merge document) to grab a pre RIPped TIF from the Sun
station when the merge file is RIPped . Your Xerox rep should be able to help
you with details for your setup, also if you check the Creo web site they may
have tips on using the Spire for VIP (Variable Information Printing).

--
Mike Bailey
Prepress Technician

"Young Tae Byun" wrote:

> I am doing a newsletter that  prints out customers addresses by pulling them
> off an Excel spreadsheet.  I have about 1200 records in the spreadsheet.
>
> As the printer runs, it prints out each newsletter with one customers
> address and then moves down to the next record.
>
> The problem I am having is that it takes an extremely and I mean extremely
> long time to print.  10 copies takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
>
> My Publisher file is about  seven megabytes.  I am using Publisher 2003 and
> Windows XP Pro SP2 printing to a Xerox 3535 creo Spire.  The Spire shows the
> file as being 900 MB for each 100 records printed.
>
> You see if I do the print merge and start printing ... it'll print only 10
> records at a time and then create another file for 10 records and each file
> will be 700 MB.  The Xerox creo Spire is running Windows 2K Pro.  So I have
> to go and delete each 700 MB before I run out of hard drive space.
>
> If you can reply please reply back to YoungTaeByun@BYUNSPEED.com.  Thanks.

Build is slow.
Hello. The environment is 6.0 vc++. When one DLL has 1700 source codes. Build is slow. debug start takes time. Please teach a good solution. Thanks, Buy a faster computer. ;) AliR. "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DF80A8-723F-43A3-A5D9-7722EEA97578@microsoft.com... > Hello. > > The environment is 6.0 vc++. > When one DLL has 1700 source codes. > > Build is slow. > debug start takes time. > Please teach a good solution. > > Thanks, > "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Print even or odd pages ONLY
I have a 200 page publication that I have created in Mspub2003 and need to be able to print first only even pages, then odd pages on the back side of the first print. I can do this in Word but can't find the option in Pub. Assistance would be greatly appreciated. Ken Like I said before, it's very tempting to compare Word and Publisher but you can't depend on those two programs having the same features. I will assume that you have some sort of .pdf creating software on your system. (Most of us who use Publisher do. If you don't, you should.) Adobe Reader will allow you ...

Have 2002 publisher need FREEupdate/download to see 2003 version?
I have Microsoft publisher 2002. I can't open 2003 publisher files. Please help/advise. Spencer Have the sender save them as 2002 format. There are only two other choices, purchase 2003 or have someone with 2003 convert them for you. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Spencer" <Spencer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26F686C9-F645-4691-BB9D-866BAD41A3AF@microsoft.com... >I have Microsoft publisher 2002. I can't open 2003 publisher files. Please > help/advise. > Spencer The good news is that 2003 and all future editions will be able to ope...

Losing some print options
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've used Word for Mac since the day it was first released and dozens of different printers and never seen this problem. The same problem shows up using either a Canon or Kodak printer. <br> When printing a 20 to 50 page doc (double sided) I select to print odd pages first and it usually Q's up properly and prints normally. Then when I select to print the even pages, instead of a single Queue containing all of the even pages I get 2 or 3 Queues each containing part of the even pages. This makes us...

Chaning Print Settings in Password Protected File
While the data is very good, the 'publisher' didn't put much thought and/or effort into what it looks like in printed form ... Is there a way to modify 'page setup' parameters for an Excel file that is password protected? Good evening Cheryl B Only by unprotecting the worksheet, changing the print settings and then reprotecting the sheet again. if you don't have the password, look here for how to do it without the password: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html If you're unfamiliar with VBA and putting this code into a module I have an add-in av...

Slow Navigating Folders for attachments!!
Using Outlook-2002. Recently, since about a month ago, when I try to save attachments or attach files to messages and attempt to navigate to the folder of interest (after I click on the attach button), navigation is VERY slow - like if I click on a sub-folder, it may take over a minute for that sub-folder to open. It doesn't matter if other apps are running, or if I'm just changing to a different drive, or to the root directory. Everything takes minutes! It renders it useless :-( Any ideas? ...

Add column to database diagram with macro
Hi all. I'm trying to write a macro that will automatically add a column (with a specific name, data type, and notes) to the selected table in the diagram. I tried recording the macro, but nothing got added to the code. Any ideas how I would do this? the problem is that the database tools are add-ins and the code is closed. al <Ben.Bawden@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174988465.050373.115520@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi all. > > I'm trying to write a macro that will automatically add a column (with > a specific name, data type, and notes) to the sele...

Word 2003
It takes sometimes 10 seconds when I press crtl+c (copy) or crtl+x (cut) in a text inside Word 2003. Even if it is only one word it takes a lot of time just to copy or cut or paste it. That does not happen in Excel or Power Point only in Word. Please can anybody help me to solve this very annoying issue? Thank you very much indeed, Anderson From reading other postings on this forum, it seems that poor AddIns can cause this latency. I have also found that doing a clean up of the temp files seems to help as well. Hope this helps DeanH "Anderson" wrote: ...

vertical lines on calendar don't print
I'm trying to print a yearly calendar for 2004...whe I go to print it out, the vertical lines do not print. What do I need to do? Thanks Lewis is this program the Funky Bunky draw program that runs on a Apple and printing out on a Daisywheel printer? How about you tell us what version of Windows, Publisher and brand and model of your printer. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from lewis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I'm trying to print a yearly calendar for 2004...whe I go to print > it out, the vertical lines d...

Slow Slow Slow
When I click between different emails in my inbox, it takes ages for it to appear on the display. My internet connection is super fast. I have recently had to reinstall Office XP and I think a setting has been changed somewhere. I have an anti-virus but it never slowed it down like this before. To put in perspective, I've had 120 spams today and its took 37 minutes to delete them because of this problem. I have ran a virus check and its fine. Any thoughts on a registry tweak?? Cheers Carl Carl Sheldon <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > When I click between differe...

Giving away Publisher 2003 this year!

slow loading, slow updating
I am using MS Money in a non-standard application. I am maintaining ledgersin checkbook fashion for 100 accounts, each set up as a separate checking account. Each of those has 3 transactions set up as automatic bill pays. Other than that, there are very few entries, averaging 6 per year at most. The program takes about 5 minutes to load. Corrections, such as posting bill payments, takes approx 10 seconds to cycle through: Open, edit, enter, wait........ Open, edit, enter, wait.....etc. I am not doing any online updating or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to speed this ...

button to print to Acrobat Distiller
I would like to create a button to print to my Acrobat Distiller. I know this can be done through the Report's Page Setup however I don't always want the report to print to the Acrobat Distiller. I figure the easiest solution is to have a "Print" button that sends reports to the default printer and a "Print to .pdf" that sends reports to the Acrobat Distiller. I currently use this Print button: Private Sub Print_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Print_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim strWhere As String strWhere = "[txtProfileID] = """ & _ For...

View graphics and clipart in publisher document
Hi When I am using publisher and inserting either clipart, wordart or a picture I can only see the clipart box and not picture. The pictures view box radio dial is not checked to hide graphics. I have no idea how to fix this can anybody help pleeeease????????? If you have detailed display selected, try sliding down the acceleration on your video adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab. If this works go to the web site of the adapter manufacturer and look around for an upgraded video driver. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsof...

Label Printing Issue
Hi guys, The Zebra LP2844 I'm dealing with prints the first label with the correct orientation (Landscape) but the rest of the labels in the same batch come out as Portrait. I have setup the printer with the latest driver available from Zebra. I have specified the Landscape orientation in both the printer preferences and the Advanced tab, under the printer properties. The label template has been used before and it worked just fine. The Zebra tech guy printed a few labels from Word with the correct orientation, as proof that it's an RMS related issue. Any suggestions to resolv...

Slow Viewing e-mails
Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? Found an answer to the problem in another post. Simply turning of the Messenger Integration fixed everything. /Johan >-----Original Message----- >Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. >Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It >worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? >. > On 25 nov 2003 Johan wrote: > Found an answer to the problem in another pos...

printing to a form
how do i print addresses from excel to an address form page? is i possible? the page came out of an address book and i have to do lik 200 of them. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Lost Formatting toolbar in Publisher
I've lost the formatting toolbar in Publisher 2000. The formatting toolbar is checked but doesn't show up. The formatting toolbar doesn't show until you have something to format. You can pull it down to the work space and let it float There are only two dimmed icons on the format menu when it is not in use. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "mattie" <mattie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D04FBAA6-726E-4915-85BE-A89F888944CD@microsoft.com... > I've lost the format...

why GetFieldValue() is so slow
I get connected a vfp6 dbf file, and the total record number is about 50000, I want to export specified field value ( most of their type are string), and the result is correct, but it works toooooo slow, and I find the function GetFieldValue takes most time. my code is: while(!m_Rs.IsEOF()) { for(index=0; index < m_ListDest.GetCount(); index++) { strLine=m_pSortItem[m_pSortList[index]]; m_Rs.GetFieldValue(m_pSortList[index], strVal); strVal.TrimRight(_T(' ')); if(strVal == "" && m_isFilter) continue; strLine.Insert(0, _T('[')); ...

Clipart Gallery
Hi I used to work with Publisher 2000 which had a foretune of clipart installed. Whenever I would click to add a picture and do a search for something e.g. "man" - I would get dozens of images appearing. I upgraded to Publisher 2003, and when I do the exact same thing I am lucky if it shows 3 images on each search. What am I doing wrong, and why cannot I access all those images that used to be available on my previous version? Thanks. Jo Office 2003 shipped with very little clipart, there are 130,000 images on the Office site. If you are online when you search these pictur...

Windows live won't print single page email... prints eye charts only?
Can someone tell me WHY the body of any email invoice has to be printed with BIG text (1/8th inch tall) and be spread across 2 to 3 pages???? Do I need to get away from HP? Do I need to get away from Microsoft? Does Apple have this problem? Can I go back to like Windows 3.1 on my new pavilion? It's real simple. I run a small home based business. I don't even use my computer to do that, except I sometimes order parts online and thus receive invoices via email. For tax purposes, I need to make a hard copy. I've tried everything I can but CANNOT reduce the text si...

copying pages in publisher
I am developing a brochure that will have many similar looking pages (image and text) and would like to copy entire pages in Publisher 2002, retaining all formatting and objects. How do I accomplish that without having to copy each object from one page to another page? Thanks. dave A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from dave <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I am developing a brochure that will have many similar > looking pages (image and text) and would like to copy > entire pages in Publisher 2002, retaining all formatting ...

Merge question
First off, Excel is not my strong point. I know the basics and that's about it. I'm working as a temp for a local healthcare business office. They produce reports for each employee (~60) quarterly that tells them how much PTO and STD times they have remaining for the year. The PTO is a set amount per year. As it's used, Darla edits a table in Word. The STD accrues at 2.77 hrs per week. Darla has an Excel spreadsheet set up to add add that amount weekly and then she edits it if time has been used. When she is ready to send out a new report, she makes 60 copies of a blank for...

Unable to print publisher files
Hello. I have recently installed a new printer and now my publisher files wont print. Illegal. After the first opening, they will no longer even OPEN the file let alone get to the part where I print it! I reconnected the OLD printer and it still wont print through there. I am totally lost now. ANY HELP? What version of Publisher? What version of Windows? Which printer? Details, computertutor, details. "computertutor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:014301c3cd96$f4b50b80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello. I have recently installed a new printer a...

Outlook 2003 Pro with XP Pro Too Slow with McAfee 2004
I just bought a new high-end brandname laptop with XP Pro. In it, I: - installed Office 2003 Pro, - installed McAfee Internet Security Center 6.0 2004 (including Firewall, AntiVirus, Privacy Service, Spamkiller), and - downloaded and installed all latest MS and McAfee software updates, by the books. Hoping to lessen intra-computer response, I opted out some sub-features in McAfee. The installations were easy. Without McAfee, Outlook 2003 was fast, reliable. After installing and working with McAfee, Outlook 2003 is miserably slow in most operations (send/receive, clicking on ema...