Saving files onto a network under Win XP

Hi,

I've got a bit of a strange problem. We've just moved a users files onto the
network and they are now unable to save Microsoft Publisher files. The
permissions are correct as they can save excel, word files etc into the same
directory but when you try saving publisher it says that the disk is full
when it isn't.

Thanks
0
Jim8980 (510)

Jim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a bit of a strange problem. We've just moved a users files
> onto the network and they are now unable to save Microsoft Publisher
> files. The permissions are correct as they can save excel, word files
> etc into the same directory but when you try saving publisher it says
> that the disk is full when it isn't.
>
> Thanks

It isn't a "strange problem" - it's a very common problem and, had you spent
a couple of nanoseconds Googling (less time than it took you to compose the
post, in fact), you'd have found your answer. You *CANNOT* save Publisher
files to a remote drive. They must be saved locally and copied across.
on salads.

0
misstick (379)
1/24/2005 12:12:32 PM
Jim wrote:
|| I've got a bit of a strange problem. We've just moved a users files
|| onto the network and they are now unable to save Microsoft Publisher
|| files. The permissions are correct as they can save excel, word
|| files etc into the same directory but when you try saving publisher
|| it says that the disk is full when it isn't.

Have a look at the following kb articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140154
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179085
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313937

Also, if you tested one by giving them admin privilages, does it work?

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)
1/24/2005 2:05:50 PM
I have spent several nanoseconds googling and could not find the answer as
you can't either.  It is a mapped network drive on the PC not a remote drive
and how come I can save publisher files in the same environment as can other
users

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a bit of a strange problem. We've just moved a users files
> > onto the network and they are now unable to save Microsoft Publisher
> > files. The permissions are correct as they can save excel, word files
> > etc into the same directory but when you try saving publisher it says
> > that the disk is full when it isn't.
> >
> > Thanks
>

> It isn't a "strange problem" - it's a very common problem and, had you spent
> a couple of nanoseconds Googling (less time than it took you to compose the
> post, in fact), you'd have found your answer. You *CANNOT* save Publisher
> files to a remote drive. They must be saved locally and copied across.
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

0
Jim8980 (510)
1/24/2005 2:07:02 PM
Turned out to be that they didn't have modify permissions on the root
directory, they only had list folder as stated in the link that you provided

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179085

Even though it's about Novell the same still applies to Windows 2000
Thanks for your help

"Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> || I've got a bit of a strange problem. We've just moved a users files
> || onto the network and they are now unable to save Microsoft Publisher
> || files. The permissions are correct as they can save excel, word
> || files etc into the same directory but when you try saving publisher
> || it says that the disk is full when it isn't.
>
> Have a look at the following kb articles:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140154
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179085
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313937
>
> Also, if you tested one by giving them admin privilages, does it work?
>
> --
> Brian Kvalheim
> Microsoft Publisher MVP
> http://www.publishermvps.com

> confers no rights.

0
Jim8980 (510)
1/25/2005 10:41:04 AM
Jim wrote:
|| Turned out to be that they didn't have modify permissions on the root
|| directory, they only had list folder as stated in the link that you
|| provided
|| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179085
|| Even though it's about Novell the same still applies to Windows 2000
|| Thanks for your help

Thanks for replying back Jim. Many will appreciate it.

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.

0
bkvalheim (1291)

Test file needed quickly
Does anyone know where I can get a very large testt excel file that has a running macro? What I need to do is to run several apps that will "drain" most of my resources. I need to test another app in how it will handle low resources. I was thinking someone might have a test file just for this reason. A large spreadsheet that has a macro doing some calculations, at the same time while other apps are running. Thanks ahead for any help or suggestions. You realize if you fill a cell and then copy it to the rest of the sheet, it get really big, really fast? Dave wrote: > Doe...

Code Bloat/Growing Excel files?

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

money file extraction: virus or worm
hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it started extracting a bunch of files. then that screen closed. now the program will not work. is there a worm or virus targeting people's MOney files? travis johnson lafayette, oregon In microsoft.public.money, travis johnson wrote: >hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of >starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it >started extracting a bunch of files. > >then that screen closed. > >now the program will not work. > >i...

Save and save as

Saving Images

Accessing Excel files over network
Hi Guys, First time here, so go easy on me. Scenario: Basic Windows 2000 Server based network with about 20 work stations connections. Server is a DC and workstations are all running Windows XP Pro. Workstations are also running Office XP. Users have deposited common files in a folder on the server. Because of control measures, these excel folders and files need to have permissions defined for either full control of read only access for certain members of the dept. Eg would be Folder Full Control Read-only Folder A Employee 1 Employee 10 ...

"Unattainable" savings goals

Saving default tabs

why I can't declaring a CArray object in a separate header file?
Hello I have no problem declaring a CArray variable inside a class definition but as I have a separate file that I place all my typedefs inside it, I have tried to define a struct that has a CArray member but compiler says: Error 1 error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared in class 'CObject' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afxtempl.h 272 this was my code inside TypeDefs.H typedef struct tag_compliance_info { LONG lModuleCode; LONG lModuleVersion; CString sModuleName; CArray<POINT> aCompliance; } STRUCT_COM...

Save to unProtect a Document?

PST file import to windows mail
I have chage my PC and I cannot import the PST outlook file in to my new windows Mail so far A error message appaer when I try to import a outlook message. Is someone have an idea regarding this issue Thanks Philippe You need outlook installed and configured on the Vista PC before you can import There is a workaround, assuming the old pc with outlook on is still available. You export your mail to outlook express, then copy the outlook express msg store to the Vista PC, then Mail can import it. Or you download the Office trial, with outlook, connect your pst as default to outlook, ...

Lost Emails in Outlook when installing XP :(
I installed Windows XP Home over the top of Windows 98 and once installed, it wouldn't let me run Outlook 2000 anymore. I reinstalled Outlook and now all my contacts, emails, you name it are gone. Is there any way to recover this data? Thanks in advance! Ick. I despise in place upgrades of operating systems. Never a good idea. Most likely the upgrade moved your Outlook data source (*.pst file) without telling Outlook where to find it. Now it's up to you to find it. Search your hard drive for *.pst. Open each in Outlook until your find you data. Note that these are now hidden fi...

Save csv format to dbf format

Daylight Savings Time #2

Export drawing to EMF file
Hello, How do I export a drawing to an EMF (or other image type) file using the ActiveX in VB6? I've tried the SaveAs and a file is created but it is empty. TIA Vic ...

Automatic save of all messages from a known contact
Hi, I'd like to store automatically all messages from a known CRM Contact. If for example my customers email-address is somebody@somhow.com, I'd like to store automatically all his emails via the Exchange<->CRM Connector regardless to who they are sent to. Is that possible? regards Juergen Tolksdorf Hi Juergen. My company has a product called Effective Email that does exactly what you are asking for. There is a sync event that gets installed on the users inbox. When emails come in, it checks the senders address against the CRM database, and if a match exists, it creates a...

Money 2004 Standar can't convert Money 2000 Delux File
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy It. I used to have a Money 2000 Delux version. When I try to convert my data file (from Money 200), the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot covert the file. The older varsion is not supported" Is there any way I can convert my Money 2000 Delux file into a Money 2004 Standar file? Thanks, Fernando S. ...

Attachments Opening as Read Only File
Whenever I open a Word, Excel, or Powerpoint email attachment, the file opens up as "read only"; this does not happen to any other file attachment. Support says Microsoft is aware of this problem - has it been corrected? I am having the same problem. Did you ever get it fixed???? "Reed" wrote: > Whenever I open a Word, Excel, or Powerpoint email > attachment, the file opens up as "read only"; this does > not happen to any other file attachment. Support says > Microsoft is aware of this problem - has it been > corrected? > ...

Personal macros file
I keep a number of blocks of code in my personal.xls startup file just to have them readily at hand and perform routine tasks more quickly (and sometimes to save bits that were hard to figure out how to do). My company has chosen a somewhat chaotic approach to transitioning staff/depts from Excel 2003 to 2007, resulting in my needing to have both application versions on my PC at the same time. Believe me, I KNOW this is not recommended. So, here is my question. I've succeeded in creating one personal.xls file in my startup folder that opens for either application - though...